SuperMoto Junkie banner

Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike!

948K views 2K replies 446 participants last post by  Louis armstrong 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Recently it has become a known fact that there is a state that will allow you to mail in your information and they will mail you a plate along with a street legal title. I know that I have answered quite a few PM's concerning this question and up until recently I have been able to help some, but others, not so much. However, the information posted in this thread is quite the game changer! The state of South Dakota to getting our beloved sumo's legal in states that try to ruin the fun. For those of you who's DMV/Registration office determines a bike street legal status/ability by the VIN I'm not too sure how this would work, but if they go by the title...GAME ON! This information is coming straight from a member on here (who wishes to remain anonymous) who has successfully completed this process. Anybody else that has done this please post on here and either share your success story or give us a heads up on something to watch out for.

To get started, you will need to do the following:

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E1792V1-FourWheelAllTerrainVehicleAffidavit.pdf

-you will need to fill out this form
-leave title number blank
-year, make, model
-put the name of who ever installed accessories to make the bike street legal (This can be your name)
-check all the boxes including 200cc (This is just confirming that the bike is 200cc or more)
-this form must be notarized, so don't sign it until you are in front of one

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secu...licationForMotorVehicleTitle&Registration.pdf

-fill out this form as well
-you will not need the date
-don't check any boxes in section I, section II, or section III
-fill in first box (your name)
-leave type of ownership and customer type blank
-identification# (needs to be your social security number)
-skip down and put in your address

section IV
-vin#
-put in make, model,
-body type- MC
-vehicle code- MC
-year and CC
-skip down to section V
-Just fill in purchase date

Don't need to put in anything else just sign and date the bottom

Besides these two forms, you'll need to send in the title or MSO and a copy of your driver's license. If the title isn't in your name you will have to call and find out what other forms you need (605)394-2163. You will also need to attach a note (preferably typed) that includes your name, email, phone number, and notate that you would like to pay by credit card over phone or internet and to contact you when they have a total price and are ready for payment.

Mail both forms, title/MSO, copy of Drivers license to:

Office of the Pennington County Treasurer
Pennington County courthouse
315 Saint Joseph St Suite 214
Rapid City SD 57701-2894

Additional Info.

Serial number is the same as the vin# (should be 17 characters long depending on year of bike) and you will need to send in the original title (they will be keeping your original title and sending you a new South Dakota title).

The fee is: $58.75 and a $3 credit card fee if applicable. You should receive your new title within 30 days.

note
Mlawler1 brought up a good point. Make sure to use your home address even though you're registering in S. Dakota. States only require that your bike is registered to you at your home address (so don't try and make a fake S. Dakota address). Use your address and your local police can't do anything because you're licensed and registered to your home address...just through a different state :D. Just make sure that the registration matches the information on your driver's license. (y)

See less See more
#1,117 ·
Got my plate today!!! Banshee

Got my plate today. 2001 YAMAHA BANSHEE NY LONG ISLAND AREA.

REGISTRATION READS BODY "OFF"
LOOKED UP THE VIN USING SOUTH DAKOTA VIN SEARCH IT SAYS ---2ND TYPE= OFF ROAD/LICENSED

I CALLED TO SEE WHY IT DOES NOT SAY ON ROAD OR SOMETHING ALONG THOSE LINES. LADIES AT THE TREASURY OFFICE SAID IT IS IN FACT A ONROAD LEGAL PLATE AS THEY DO NOT OFFER ANY OFFLOAD PLATES, SO ONCE YOU GET A PLATE ITS GUARANTEE AUTOMATIC STREET LEGAL PLATE.

HOPE WHEN MY TITLE COMES BACK IT DOESNT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT OFFLOAD OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT SO I CAN TRANSFER OVER TO NYS WHERE I LIVE.

Attachments

#1,121 ·
Any one in NY tried to transfer the plate to NYS? what was the outcome?

What did the NY cops have to say about the SD plate????
I did in ballston spa DMV. Make sure u have the weight on ur mv82 cuz if not they look up the vin hen question you. I just said look here's pics. Everything's dot I went to that state and made it road legal cuz they allow it. Bam. Got my ny plate

#1,125 ·
Back in the day my friend had a CA plate on a Yamaha Tri-Z, his aunt worked at the DMV. It was like me carrying around a couple ARs in the gun rack in the pick-up, totally legal but you where going to get stopped by the man every time they see you. :headshake

Good luck with it.:thumbup:

#1,135 ·
I did it in NC about 6 weeks ago. Tag/registration showed up in about a week. Took another month for the title to arrive, Submitted the paperwork in July, tag is valid through 9/17. One of the members of Charlotte Supermoto has been running the SD tag for 3yrs w/ no issues. Guy I bought the bike from just got one tagged in NC that he imported from TX, w/ no issues. I will be relocating from the Peoples Republic of NC to SC shortly, and I understand there is no issue there.

#1,141 ·
Mine is a factory legal specimen. I was just letting you know the little store that sells knick knacks and crap, their people are clueless. Provided of course the paper work is correct. They probably never would read body type. Just saying. I forget what they charged, 7 maybe 10 bucks, but I went there because our DMV there is a month long wait to get an appointment. I'm sure they wouldn't charge you if they couldn't do it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#1,144 · (Edited)
Trying to do a VIN search for a bike I got three years ago. Turns out it was originally purchased from a PA dealer. Didn't realize that and did the VIN search here in my state and came back clean (which is useless) Been trying to hunt down a title so called KTM and they told me it was sold from the PA dealer. Tried contacting the PA dmv and they won't do anything over the phone, only if you are there in person with your license. One PA dmv person stated there was a form I could fill out and send it for a vehicle history search but the form asks questions in regards to the previous owner....which I don't know. So how am I suppose to get any kind of information? I need a title and can't find my bill of sale from three years ago. My dmv tells me to contact PA and PA says to contact my dmv. Getting the run around

Anyone have a KTM 530 frame with a title? Lol

#1,149 ·
Hey guys,
I've read through a great many of these pages looking to sort out what to do in my situation.
I purchased a used bike that has a PA title. Is there another form to fill out aside from the two from post one? Is there a post someone can point me towards with info on what to do if you already have a title for your bike?
2011 KTM 250XC that I want to put a dual sport kit on and ride from trail to trail at some of the state parks. Not really looking to ride it around town. Just way easier than loading and unloading over and over again.

Thanks for the help.

#1,150 ·
A note saying how you want to be contacted about payment, a photo copy of your drivers license and the title that you have for the bike are the " extras " required on top of the 2 forms.

Send it to the proper address located on page 7 of this thread.

#1,155 ·
Update from a VIRGINIA resident. I went to the DMV today and presented my SD title and filled out a title and registration form for VA. She couldn't figure out how to verify that I paid SD taxes but I said don't worry about it and just paid the minimum VA taxes. Got my VA title and plate. I'm so super happy. Thanks again for creating this thread!

#1,156 ·
You sir are going to cripple the whole thread. How dare you be a responsible person and actually transfer the registration into the state in which you reside. Such blasphemy. The utter nerve. I hope your VA plate gets ground to dust doing wheelies.

Good job,?.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#1,159 ·
One more 450 on the road!

Called to give South Dakota some fun coupons and in return have a plate in the mail on its way to me. I did this without a title and just a bill of sale. Time to get some warp 9s to make it officially a sumo.:bannana:

P.S. If you use just a bill of sale, they might ask for a form from the previous owner notarized stating that it was sold to you without a title. This happend too me but luckily I bought my bike from a dealer so I didn't have to go far to do so.

#1,161 ·
Called to give South Dakota some fun coupons and in return have a plate in the mail on its way to me. I did this without a title and just a bill of sale. Time to get some warp 9s to make it officially a sumo.:bannana:

P.S. If you use just a bill of sale, they might ask for a form from the previous owner notarized stating that it was sold to you without a title. This happend too me but luckily I bought my bike from a dealer so I didn't have to go far to do so.
I love when they ask for a bill of sale, or notorized letter, etc. and people get worried. Just sell it to a friend and buy it back with all the required paperwork. Simple.

#1,164 ·
I am in Florida and have A 2009 KX450F .. I will be installing the brake light, headlight and a key / cylinder / switch and kickstand.. I have all the paperwork out and I had a couple questions before I mail everything off...

1. Is this process still working flawlessly?

2. Do I need to include a bill of sale? What should I put on it to keep the costs resonable ?

3. Any other tips on the overall process?

thanks

#1,168 ·
Just put something believable, you don't have to insult their intelligence in your quest to do a slightly shady act.

A 2009 KX450F, that ought to be worth 2 bucks. :rofl: Kawasaki was still in business in 2009? :rofl: What is a 7 year old dirt bike going for in Fla.? I would take a stab at $1,500 to $2,500 for a real cream puff. I'm in California so every thing on CL is overpriced, especially bobbers and naked bikes. Just keep in mind you only get one try at this so don't go and dick it up trying to save 2 bucks in taxes. What did you actually pay for it? Shave a few bucks off that sum. I paid KBB for my KTM and felt guilty as sin declaring that number. Here it'll get kick out if it is a stupid number and go to review. Not quite sure how it would play out in SD, but, as I said why chance it?

Good luck, and wheelie on.

#1,171 · (Edited)
I looked at the documents on page 1 and was wondering if it is possible to plate a bike under 200cc? From my understanding it would be fine but you are not permitted to ride interstates, which I am completely okay with. I would do all the necessary modifications to make it legal, I simply wouldn't check the 200cc box, does this sound right? I have little 125cc deal that would be perfect to be a test dummy for this..:D

EDIT_
On page 12 someone asked about asked about plating a pit bike, so its kinda similar.
http://dor.sd.gov/Motor_Vehicles/Titling_and_Registration/Motorcycles.aspx

So if I buy this 125 and it has a tittle/mso I only send in title with the second form (the long registration one)?

I finally decided to join after lurking for way way tooooooo long :thumbup:

Thanks guys!

#1,172 ·
I simply wouldn't check the 200cc box, does this sound right?

So if I buy this 125 and it has a tittle/mso I only send in title with the second form (the long registration one)?
If the title/MSO you send in has the cc's listed, I don't think it will go your way.
I would suggest using the "bill of sale" method.