SuperMoto Junkie banner

Brake caliper banjo bolt same as the cluch slave banjo bolt?

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  06-530rr 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have an '06 510 and my Brembo brake caliper does not have the bleeder on the banjo bolt. I bought one from a local store saying it will work, but I noticed it says Magura on the package and it looks identical to the banjo on the clutch slave cylinder.

My question is; are they compatible? I don't want to loosen the banjo on the caliper only to find out that the threads or size is different and I wouldn't be able to ride my bike until I find the correct banjo bolt with bleeder.

#3 ·
there are no threads on a banjo, it's just the circular fitting with a notch and holes so that hydraulic fluid can pass through the banjo. I'd start by measuring the outside diameter of the banjo fittings with some calipers. Do they look similar? If they do I would remove hydraulic fluid from the system and crack open the old banjo fitting and measure the old and new banjo's inside diameter. Are the sizes similar?

Hydraulics are pretty straightforward so as long as the fitting will mate up with their cylinders they will probably work. you could always look up a hydraulic company in your phone book to see if they sell fittings. It's pretty easy to install new fittings and the banjo probably costs a couple of bucks. remember to change out the copper crush washers every time you loosen a fitting.

to recap: look, measure outside diameters, remove fluid, measure inside diameters and if everything looks alright install. if not then call a hydraulics place, they sometimes hide in the phone book under forklift repair, and get the proper fitting from them.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply, but maybe i'm not correctly describing my problem. My Husky has a banjo bolt on the caliper without the bleed valve.

I'm looking to put a banjo bolt with a bleed valve. I bought one from my local husky dealer, but the one they sold me looks exactly like the magura clutch slave banjo bolt.

I'm wondering if this would work.

If I remove the banjo bolt on my caliper, there is no other way for me to bleed the brakes, unless I have a working banjo bolt bleeder.

Does this make sense?

#7 ·
Interesting. I've never seen a setup like that before.

You're probably going to get the fastest results by just pulling the bolt and getting the specs on it. I doubt anyone wants to go through the process of re-bleeding their system to help a stranger on the internet. No offense.

Have you tried checking the parts fiche? Its possible the specs could be listed there (or maybe they're the same part number), or maybe try calling Hall's and see if they'll compare the two.

#8 ·
exactly ash, stan23 you'll have to pull the current banjo bolt off and measure its length, depth and thread pitch and compare those numbers to the banjo bolt with the bleed valve. no one is going to be able to tell you that it will or won't work for sure so get wrenching and you'll get your answers. hell, the last thing you want to do is strip the threads inside the brake caliper. post up your results so we can all learn something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.