Thread: Knobbies on 2.5 x 17 or 3.5 x 17 rims????

Default Knobbies on 2.5 x 17 or 3.5 x 17 rims????

Can you get knobbies for small 17's? I now some guys put them on 4.25 x 17 I have a TTR with SM wheels on it but do not have the stock wheels. Thanks.
    07 Yamaha WR250F/ 07 KTM 144/ 07 BMW 650 X Chall/ 05 XT225/ 79 XT500

Help/ Support a legend (Doug Henry) http://www.road2recovery.com

Get some road race rains. I picked mine up 2 laps used!

Here they are mounted on the YZF wheels I am selling.

www.MotoHose.com
    Don't bring a gun to a snowball fight!

I want to throw some spikes in them for ice racing. I dont think rains will work. I already have a set of them.

You are right, rains don't have enough depth to hold the screws without cutting the tube.

For screws: order a set of 1000 gold cutters that are 7/16" of an inch. They are in the tucker rocky catalog.

I put a kenda 4.10x17 on the front 17x2.5". Keep in mind I have a KX80 front end on my bike (which is wider). You might need a narrower tire if you run the stock forks.

I'm sure there are plenty of 17" knobs to be found in the off brands like kenda or chen shin, since 17" is the front rim size of a most of the 85's (non-expert models).

Get a hard terrain tire if possible (more knobs, tighter pattern).

Thanks Ron. I will have to do some research. I hope to get the TTR out on the ice sometime this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwest99
    You are right, rains don't have enough depth to hold the screws without cutting the tube.

For screws: order a set of 1000 gold cutters that are 7/16" of an inch. They are in the tucker rocky catalog.

I put a kenda 4.10x17 on the front 17x2.5". Keep in mind I have a KX80 front end on my bike (which is wider). You might need a narrower tire if you run the stock forks.

I'm sure there are plenty of 17" knobs to be found in the off brands like kenda or chen shin, since 17" is the front rim size of a most of the 85's (non-expert models).

Get a hard terrain tire if possible (more knobs, tighter pattern).

i have heard of people putting a stripped down carcass on the inside of the mounted tire to keep the screws from tearing up the tubes.
    this is all just heresay, but, using that rational, i would think that you could use just about any tire you wanted and it would work.

with the right length screws you don't need anything extra inside the tire.

Slime never hurts for insurance on this though..

If the tires do not hook up you will probably be packing up. I feel confident in stating that there is a lot of talent, patience and skill involved when making a great ice tire. Usually people attempt to make their first set of ice tires for several reasons... cost, cost, cost. Many of those same people break down and buy pro-built tires after riding another bike that has had pro-tires installed. Why? because the pro-tires stick to the ice like a SuperMoto bike running fresh scuffed in slicks on a hot summers day. I can not tell you how to build a pro tire, because I do not have the talent, skill or patience it takes to build one. But I can give you some direction on how to get a set of pro-built tires and how to treat them once they make it on to your bike. Go here:

Canadian Motorcycle Ice Tires
    http://rockcentralcycle.supersites.ca/icetires/

TIRE WRAPS: Buy or make them, just make sure to cover up anytime the tires are not on the ice.

The future of winter motorcycle road ice racing:
    http://www.dieseljo.com/images_ice_p...x_ice_bike.jpg
    MFG-Racing.com
    #94 Expert LRRS, CCS, SMUSA
    KTM 525 SMR: FOR SALE HERE!
    Honda XR100 'tard
    Team Speedbike Racing (http://www.Speedbike.com)

Just a thought, but Chen Shin and IRC make trials tires and a couple knobs combos. Maxxis has a 17 front and rear knobby combo also.

Macman do you have any links or pics?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MACMAN
    Just a thought, but Chen Shin and IRC make trials tires and a couple knobs combos. Maxxis has a 17 front and rear knobby combo also.

I looked here (not an indorsement as I have never done business with them, but use it to look to see what's available)

TIRES UNLIMITED

Check out the different brands and you can see where you can come up with some combinations that should work for you. I was actually thinking about seeing what I could put on my 150 motard with the 17's also. Thinking a trials tire might actually be some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MACMAN
    Just a thought, but Chen Shin and IRC make trials tires
    Stay away from the trials tires, I tried it and the blocks are siped and will not hold screws.

Anyone want to buy a new never used trials tire, only has a few holes in it?

Sorry..guess I wasn't just speaking of placing screws in them. I was thinking of plonking around on the track and trails also.