2003 ktm 450exc a good first bike?

Thread: 2003 ktm 450exc a good first bike?

Default 2003 ktm 450exc a good first bike?

Hey everybody I am new to the forums. I tried searching but it is hard finding info on the 2003 model 450exc. This will be my first bike and I wanted to eventually convert it to a supermoto. I found one locally for $1500 and was wondering if I should go for it and convert it later on or hold out a while and get something newer or possibly a different model. Thanks for all the advice in advance and I am looking forward to having some fun in the future.

Charlie

Advertisement

if the bike is in good shape and the motor has been taken care off you could be looking at a bargain, a running hour estimate would be usefull determining if it would be a good buy. it's up to you wether you want to spent the additional money to do the conversion, which is probably going to cost as much as what you will pay for the bike if you're going for wheels and decent brakes.

Items for Sale

i just did this exact thing.

got a decently used 03 exc450 and grabbed up sm parts when i saw them come up for sale....

its made for a fun project, and a hell of alot of fun gooofing around...

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

It is practically one owner but he didnt keep track of the hours he put on it. He said that he rides it about two times a month. The seller said that he redid the suspension last year for the same size rider as me. Also he took apart the engine last year and said everything looked fine and added a new piston in it since he already had the engine apart. Comes with all new plastics which is also a bonus. I guess my main question is, is it worth it to buy this bike and convert it to a supermoto, or spend around $4k and get an smc bike.

Quote Originally Posted by flboarder View Post
    I guess my main question is, is it worth it to buy this bike and convert it to a supermoto, or spend around $4k and get an smc bike.
    depends on what you want to do with it and what your attitude is towards performing maintenance. exc's a race bikes, good for fun rides, short blasts, trackdays, will require more attention... smc is street oriented, can be used a as commuter, not as much attention needed.

Thanks for your responses Skully and Shelby I found a response from some guy on another forum about how the 2003 flexes compared to newer models is there any truth to that? Also I don't mind having to work on the bike, I enjoy that type of stuff.

Items for Sale

imho

ive got several bikes in the stable...
    all of which have done trackdays, street duty and all have been ridden, not beaten....but ridden for designed purposes...

dont know what the guy is talking about flex wise, but the bike itself is solid for me....big brakes, great feel, light, tips in super easy, wheelies like effing madd,
    stops like nothing else that i have ever set a leg over...

and every, and i mean EVERY time i turn it off to put it away, i tell myself..,.... man what a ride.

theres tons of mods out there, youll never get bored...

ask yourself this.

what more can you ask for?

Default shake

the 03 450 is notorious for violent head shakes to the point they will almost rip the bars from your hand if going to fast

For $1500 I would buy it and build it. I think you could always sell it and get your money back. I had an 02 520 exc and now have 04 400 exc and both are fun supermoto bikes with no issues or complaints from me. Mine is not the best, but does what I want for the money I have invested.
    Super Tenere
    FJ09
    400 exc/sm

Quote Originally Posted by KTMlover View Post
    the 03 450 is notorious for violent head shakes to the point they will almost rip the bars from your hand if going to fast
    why did you bump a 4yr old thread with info that isn't even correct... wether or not headshake becomes an issue depends on a number of factors and is mostly down to setup of the bike, it is not an "issue" or bug on this particular bike.

Advertisement