SuperMoto Junkie banner

XRR owners: anyone running aftermarket CDI or over rev box?

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Michelangelo 
#1 ·
Been reading on about how certain XR400R years' CDIs will advance ignition curve to give the XRR more over rev and low/mid range.

Anyone here running either aftermarket CDI (Big Gun, Pro Comm, Rick's) or XR400R?

What I've found on the XR400R's oem cdi:
if it has Number: 070000-2650 -its the earlier 96-97 model! (the one you want
BUT if it has the Number 070000-2740 its the Later model which doesn't have the same timing advance and I believe its a lower rev-limiter.

I'm hoping if you have an XR400R, you could look at the DENSO part number on your bike and tell me if it corresponds to any of the numbers and model years listed?

#3 ·
Unfortunately it's not that simple. Consensus seems to be that the aftermarket CDI boxes are cheap knock-offs of the XR400R, and have proven to be unreliable at times. Not only that, you can't tell which ignition advance you are really getting. I've yet to see an OEM cdi from a Jap. mfg not work, whereas plenty of these aftermarket cdis have been found not to work when new-leaving guys out a cash load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.