SuperMoto Junkie banner

INDIANA SuperMotards!

294K views 3K replies 98 participants last post by  elroy121 
#1 ·
Hey there...

Long time lurker! I recently got out of the Navy and am now back home for good here in central Indiana. I picked up a DRZ not to long ago and have yet to see any other street tards out and about... I do quite a bit of riding, mostly down south.

I know there are some other Indy guys out there.. Anyone interested in getting together before the weather starts to really cool off? The past couple of days have been perfect!

-Chris

#3 ·
I am in Greenwood... About 20min south of Indy. I too am down for anything. Monday I took a ride down south and went through the Brown County state park, beautiful this time of year. I see you have TLR, I have a 05 GSXR 750 as well.

I can pretty much ride whenever... As of now I am not really working since I am getting ready to start school full time. Let me know if you ever want to meet up!

-Chris

#4 ·
My nine year old and I will be at Whiteland raceway on this thursday playing around on their track. Fluid catch cans are required to ride the track. Give me a call and I can give you the details on their other specs. Or check out the midwest supermoto forum and look for New Castle thread and check out the rules for riding.
We hope to be at the track by 11 am. Come down and check it out. I'm in Detroit until tomorrow for business but will be available after lunch tomorrow for a call if needed.

Kevin Foster
812-614-0043

#5 ·
I have heard about the New Castle track days. I would love to go but I actually just ordered a 2 piece suit and it hasn't yet arrived! I also would prob need a new front tire before I go out on the track getting silly... Do you know how far into the year they usually keep the track open?

-Chris

#7 ·
As of September New Castle is closed for the bike riding nights. We usually are allowed to ride every other Mionday night from 4 - 8pm. They really did it as a favor to us riders as they make their bread and butter on the karting.
As for Whiteland, Kade and I went yesterday and had a good day. They will pretty much let us run any day of the week and just have to rotate with the karts that show up. It is not as glamorous as New Castle but it is a place to ride.
I'm open to some county or highway riding if you want to get together before the snow falls. I have a pretty good track of roads here in Decatur County that can be fun to ride for an hour or two of riding.

#8 ·
Ah ok, well looks like I will probably have to wait until next year for the track days...

So you live in Greensburg, but you go all the up north to Decatur to ride? From what I have seen, most of the good riding is south. I usually ride 135, 44, 144, 45, 262, ect. Then, usually end up jumping off into vacant or soon to be neighborhoods and mess around on the paved roads there... and of course the dirt! Do you do any offroad riding with the DRZ at all?

-Chris

#9 ·
No, Decatur County is in Greensburg area south of you and a little East. Where the new Honda plant went a couple of years ago. Decatur Indiana is north of Indy. Two different places. And yeah anything north of of Indy sucks for riding. I spend a lot of time riding towards Bloomington and Bedford area on the TLR. The DRZ is fun if you are somewhere in the mountains or urban settings but is a little small for highway use. Not that it won't do the job I just get bored and look for a county road to turn off to keep it interesting. But I am up for adventure if you wanna get together we can meet some where close to those roads and I can unload the DRZ and we can go from there. Or like I said there is a decent amount of fun to be had around me. I need to find a new battery this weekend as mine has taken a shit in the last two weeks and once that is sorted I will be ready to go trippin again. This is a perfect time of year to ride the Sumo's. Not lightning fast you freeze but you can still put some miles down in a few hours.
Kevin

#12 ·
Sheesh, sorry I haven't responded! This past weekend was homecoming down at IU and I was mostly intoxicated the entire duration of the festivities! :drunk:

But yes I am def down to do some riding! The forecast is calling for rain but by past history I have high hopes that it wont!

-Chris

#13 ·
I'm back to needing a battery for the DRZ and the TLR just started showing cord on the rear tire. Let me get a battery in the next two weeks or so and I will hit you up for a ride. If daddysmut brings his bike to the Dayton area I am going to try to ride with the Cincy guys over Thanksgiving weekend. Are ya available then?

#14 ·
I should be available pretty much anytime... Including Thanksgiving weekend. As of now I don't believe I am going out of town but that could change. Just give me a heads up a few days in advance on what the details are. I will PM you my cell number and you can just text or call me whenever your down for a ride. I actually haven't rode the Dizzer in about a week as I crossed the bars up going down hard in the dirt...lol. Still need to address that issue!

-Chris

#15 ·
new battery

Hey Chris,
I ordered a new battery this week so now I just have to convince the wife to pay for it. I should be ready to go again next week or so. The parts guy that I buy my parts from is buliding a Honda 450x sumo conversion this winter so our posse should be growing next year. If the weather stays in the 50s-60s are you still up to riding for a few hours during the wekends? I will try to bug the others from around the state to see if they would like to put a ride together.

Kevin

#17 ·
Fuzzy,
I have the DRZ and a little 300 EX quad but I have to pay for my battery first. I have been watching the Cincy posts and really want to come but gotta stay on the porch for this one. Maybe next time. Has anyone heard if daddysmut is bring his bike on Turkey day weekend?

#18 ·
This entire week is suppose to be beautiful... I was on the bike yesterday and am planning a nice ride after I get out of the gym today. I will most likely be on the GSXR though. Let me know if anyone wants to get together this week/end.

-Chris

#19 ·
Well I was out for about 4 hours today riding. Took the 750 for the usual loop. 135, 44, 252 and of course 45. Wheres everyone at?! This week is probably going to be the last real warm one! Although I do understand as all you who get off work late come home to darkness! This daylight savings sucks, its dark by 5:30pm!

#20 · (Edited)
Man it has been one thing after another this fall. I did get the battery in the DR so that is ready to go until the rear tire wears out again. The TL is down to the cord on the rear now, so that can't handle any long trips without fear of a blowout. And the new tire is gonna have to wait until next spring. But the real kicker is my trucks' transmission started dieing the last time we made it to Whiteland. I can still limp it around though. So if ya still want to get together for some hooligan riding this weekend I may be available on Sunday. I have to go riding with my boy on Saturday to reward him for working hard in school this week. I can haul mine to the Indy area or you can come this way. I have a pretty decent loop I make in the county roads around here.

Sorry I left the best part out........ Thank you for your service defending our country.

#21 ·
Ah, that's how it always happens it seems... Everything takes a crap at the same time! If it makes yah feel any better... The week after I put some "new" scrubs on the 750 I got a hole in the rear. I need a new front on the DRZ as well. I bought it with a new rear, but the front is cupped to hell. Not sure what causes those Avons to cup like that.. incorrect air pressure?

I have been really laying down the miles on the GSXR the past few days. Trying to get my new 2 piece suit broke in before I hit the track next spring. I am not sure what my plans are for this weekend, as one of my good friends from out of town is visiting. If I am free... or not hungover, I'll hit you up. Hopefully the weather will be mild Thanksgiving weekend as well!

Oh, and thanks for the Veteran Day "wishes"!

#22 ·
tires

Unfortunatly the Indiana roads just destroys the centers of the tires. They get flatspotted quickly due to their soft compound and then start cupping or squared in the center. I have 3000 miles on the front of my DRZ and it is still round for the most part but I think was helped by going to the kart tracks the last few years. The TLR gets so bad after a while that you can't let go of the bars without the front end shaking. When you are ready to replace the front let me know. I have a manual tire machine and do my own replacements and can save ya a lot of money in labor.

Kevin

#23 ·
I'll probably wait until spring to get a new front on the DRZ. I am not sure I want to keep the Avons though. I may switch over to PP. Although I do get it dirty occasionally im not sure the Avons are really much help. I will definitely take you up on your offer to help throw them on though! Paying 50 bucks to get a tire put on a rim gets old quick!

Ive heard those TLR's are known for head shake. Do you have a steering dampener? I know my buddies old R1 got pretty sketchy at times... Not very confidence inspiring to say the least. Probably doesn't help the fact those V-twins are torque monsters... My first bike was a SV650S and I had a blast with that thing.

#24 ·
Riding with the Cincy boys

Hey Chris,
Do some lurking in the Cincinnati local thread. One of our riding companions from the south is coming this way over the Thanksgiving day week and I am hoping to do some riding with them around Cincy and Kentucky area after the holiday. Didn't know if you had time or interest in going over with me to do some riding.
I will probably haul mine over and have room for two or maybe three total bikes.

#25 ·
Sounds good to me. I don't believe I am going anywhere Thanksgiving weekend. So we are looking at either the 27th or 28th? I have a truck as well so can haul bikes to... But would be willing to car pool. Good thing I have full leathers now.. It may end up being a cold one. Under Armor's cold gear definitely sounds like a good idea!

#26 ·
Just read through the Cincy thread and it looks like the date is set for the Saturday after Turkey Day... Do you know any of the details yet...such as when you plan on leaving, ect? Is it cool if I tag along with you still? I can throw down some money for gas. Depending on what time you want to leave, I can meet you somewhere and load up from there. Just let me know what you want to do, I'm stoked! :bannana:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.