INDIANA SuperMotards!
Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: INDIANA SuperMotards!

Default INDIANA SuperMotards!

Hey there...

Long time lurker! I recently got out of the Navy and am now back home for good here in central Indiana. I picked up a DRZ not to long ago and have yet to see any other street tards out and about... I do quite a bit of riding, mostly down south.

I know there are some other Indy guys out there.. Anyone interested in getting together before the weather starts to really cool off? The past couple of days have been perfect!

-Chris

Advertisement

Yep. I'm in the Greensburg area about an hour south east from Indy. How about yourself?
    I'm game for anything.

And thank you for your service.

Kevin
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

I am in Greenwood... About 20min south of Indy. I too am down for anything. Monday I took a ride down south and went through the Brown County state park, beautiful this time of year. I see you have TLR, I have a 05 GSXR 750 as well.

I can pretty much ride whenever... As of now I am not really working since I am getting ready to start school full time. Let me know if you ever want to meet up!

-Chris

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

My nine year old and I will be at Whiteland raceway on this thursday playing around on their track. Fluid catch cans are required to ride the track. Give me a call and I can give you the details on their other specs. Or check out the midwest supermoto forum and look for New Castle thread and check out the rules for riding.
    We hope to be at the track by 11 am. Come down and check it out. I'm in Detroit until tomorrow for business but will be available after lunch tomorrow for a call if needed.

Kevin Foster
    812-614-0043
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

I have heard about the New Castle track days. I would love to go but I actually just ordered a 2 piece suit and it hasn't yet arrived! I also would prob need a new front tire before I go out on the track getting silly... Do you know how far into the year they usually keep the track open?

-Chris

I know there are more Indy locals out there than just us two!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

As of September New Castle is closed for the bike riding nights. We usually are allowed to ride every other Mionday night from 4 - 8pm. They really did it as a favor to us riders as they make their bread and butter on the karting.
    As for Whiteland, Kade and I went yesterday and had a good day. They will pretty much let us run any day of the week and just have to rotate with the karts that show up. It is not as glamorous as New Castle but it is a place to ride.
    I'm open to some county or highway riding if you want to get together before the snow falls. I have a pretty good track of roads here in Decatur County that can be fun to ride for an hour or two of riding.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Ah ok, well looks like I will probably have to wait until next year for the track days...

So you live in Greensburg, but you go all the up north to Decatur to ride? From what I have seen, most of the good riding is south. I usually ride 135, 44, 144, 45, 262, ect. Then, usually end up jumping off into vacant or soon to be neighborhoods and mess around on the paved roads there... and of course the dirt! Do you do any offroad riding with the DRZ at all?

-Chris
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

No, Decatur County is in Greensburg area south of you and a little East. Where the new Honda plant went a couple of years ago. Decatur Indiana is north of Indy. Two different places. And yeah anything north of of Indy sucks for riding. I spend a lot of time riding towards Bloomington and Bedford area on the TLR. The DRZ is fun if you are somewhere in the mountains or urban settings but is a little small for highway use. Not that it won't do the job I just get bored and look for a county road to turn off to keep it interesting. But I am up for adventure if you wanna get together we can meet some where close to those roads and I can unload the DRZ and we can go from there. Or like I said there is a decent amount of fun to be had around me. I need to find a new battery this weekend as mine has taken a shit in the last two weeks and once that is sorted I will be ready to go trippin again. This is a perfect time of year to ride the Sumo's. Not lightning fast you freeze but you can still put some miles down in a few hours.
    Kevin
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Yeah some light trail riding with my nine year old. But would love to explore some bigger stuff.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Bump to the top.
    Anyone wanna make a last hurrah sometime next week or weekend.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Sheesh, sorry I haven't responded! This past weekend was homecoming down at IU and I was mostly intoxicated the entire duration of the festivities!

But yes I am def down to do some riding! The forecast is calling for rain but by past history I have high hopes that it wont!

-Chris
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

I'm back to needing a battery for the DRZ and the TLR just started showing cord on the rear tire. Let me get a battery in the next two weeks or so and I will hit you up for a ride. If daddysmut brings his bike to the Dayton area I am going to try to ride with the Cincy guys over Thanksgiving weekend. Are ya available then?
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

I should be available pretty much anytime... Including Thanksgiving weekend. As of now I don't believe I am going out of town but that could change. Just give me a heads up a few days in advance on what the details are. I will PM you my cell number and you can just text or call me whenever your down for a ride. I actually haven't rode the Dizzer in about a week as I crossed the bars up going down hard in the dirt...lol. Still need to address that issue!

-Chris
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Default new battery

Hey Chris,
    I ordered a new battery this week so now I just have to convince the wife to pay for it. I should be ready to go again next week or so. The parts guy that I buy my parts from is buliding a Honda 450x sumo conversion this winter so our posse should be growing next year. If the weather stays in the 50s-60s are you still up to riding for a few hours during the wekends? I will try to bug the others from around the state to see if they would like to put a ride together.

Kevin
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Not sure if any of you guys ride dirt but a few of the Cincy crew will be at Haspin this Sunday at 9am. Meeting at or around the shoe tree.
    07 DRZ 400sm-Daily rider/touring bike
    01 GasGas 280 TXT

Fuzzy,
    I have the DRZ and a little 300 EX quad but I have to pay for my battery first. I have been watching the Cincy posts and really want to come but gotta stay on the porch for this one. Maybe next time. Has anyone heard if daddysmut is bring his bike on Turkey day weekend?
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

This entire week is suppose to be beautiful... I was on the bike yesterday and am planning a nice ride after I get out of the gym today. I will most likely be on the GSXR though. Let me know if anyone wants to get together this week/end.

-Chris
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Well I was out for about 4 hours today riding. Took the 750 for the usual loop. 135, 44, 252 and of course 45. Wheres everyone at?! This week is probably going to be the last real warm one! Although I do understand as all you who get off work late come home to darkness! This daylight savings sucks, its dark by 5:30pm!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Man it has been one thing after another this fall. I did get the battery in the DR so that is ready to go until the rear tire wears out again. The TL is down to the cord on the rear now, so that can't handle any long trips without fear of a blowout. And the new tire is gonna have to wait until next spring. But the real kicker is my trucks' transmission started dieing the last time we made it to Whiteland. I can still limp it around though. So if ya still want to get together for some hooligan riding this weekend I may be available on Sunday. I have to go riding with my boy on Saturday to reward him for working hard in school this week. I can haul mine to the Indy area or you can come this way. I have a pretty decent loop I make in the county roads around here.

Sorry I left the best part out........ Thank you for your service defending our country.
    Last edited by foster; 11-11-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: added info
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Ah, that's how it always happens it seems... Everything takes a crap at the same time! If it makes yah feel any better... The week after I put some "new" scrubs on the 750 I got a hole in the rear. I need a new front on the DRZ as well. I bought it with a new rear, but the front is cupped to hell. Not sure what causes those Avons to cup like that.. incorrect air pressure?

I have been really laying down the miles on the GSXR the past few days. Trying to get my new 2 piece suit broke in before I hit the track next spring. I am not sure what my plans are for this weekend, as one of my good friends from out of town is visiting. If I am free... or not hungover, I'll hit you up. Hopefully the weather will be mild Thanksgiving weekend as well!

Oh, and thanks for the Veteran Day "wishes"!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Default tires

Unfortunatly the Indiana roads just destroys the centers of the tires. They get flatspotted quickly due to their soft compound and then start cupping or squared in the center. I have 3000 miles on the front of my DRZ and it is still round for the most part but I think was helped by going to the kart tracks the last few years. The TLR gets so bad after a while that you can't let go of the bars without the front end shaking. When you are ready to replace the front let me know. I have a manual tire machine and do my own replacements and can save ya a lot of money in labor.

Kevin
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

I'll probably wait until spring to get a new front on the DRZ. I am not sure I want to keep the Avons though. I may switch over to PP. Although I do get it dirty occasionally im not sure the Avons are really much help. I will definitely take you up on your offer to help throw them on though! Paying 50 bucks to get a tire put on a rim gets old quick!

Ive heard those TLR's are known for head shake. Do you have a steering dampener? I know my buddies old R1 got pretty sketchy at times... Not very confidence inspiring to say the least. Probably doesn't help the fact those V-twins are torque monsters... My first bike was a SV650S and I had a blast with that thing.
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Default Riding with the Cincy boys

Hey Chris,
    Do some lurking in the Cincinnati local thread. One of our riding companions from the south is coming this way over the Thanksgiving day week and I am hoping to do some riding with them around Cincy and Kentucky area after the holiday. Didn't know if you had time or interest in going over with me to do some riding.
    I will probably haul mine over and have room for two or maybe three total bikes.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Sounds good to me. I don't believe I am going anywhere Thanksgiving weekend. So we are looking at either the 27th or 28th? I have a truck as well so can haul bikes to... But would be willing to car pool. Good thing I have full leathers now.. It may end up being a cold one. Under Armor's cold gear definitely sounds like a good idea!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Just read through the Cincy thread and it looks like the date is set for the Saturday after Turkey Day... Do you know any of the details yet...such as when you plan on leaving, ect? Is it cool if I tag along with you still? I can throw down some money for gas. Depending on what time you want to leave, I can meet you somewhere and load up from there. Just let me know what you want to do, I'm stoked!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

No problem tagging along. Just glad to meet ya and grow the Indiana crew. Don't know any real details yet but I think everyone is waiting until after 12:00 or so, so that the sun can warm up the world a little. I will assume right now that we wouldn't need to leave Greensburg area before 10:30 or 11:00 ish. I am maybe about 50 minutes from Cicinnati Kid's house. Keep an eye on their thread and they will fill us in with more info. I haven't ridden with this group either so I don't know what to expect. I have met Antikid once and from what I can tell by just internet corresponding they seem like a good bunch of guys.
    My truck is a long bed F-150 so I have plenty of room for bikes and gear. The trans is still giving me some fits but I feel confident it will get us there. Just have to nurse it along to get it moving from a stop sign.
    I like to be warm so I will probably wear tons of layers. I will bring my leathers but will also bring MX gear depending on the temp.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Sounds good! I too am looking forward to meeting some guys to ride with. I tend to choose the GSXR over the DRZ for that exact reason... Nobody to hooligan around with! Its no fun getting arrested by yourself! I have a GPS I can bring along if that would make things easier going to and from? I myself suck with directions so its a life saver for me. I shouldn't have too much excessive gear, as all I have is street gear. I've only had the motard for a couple months...

By the looks of it, the weather is suppose to be pretty mild this week as well. I am planning on riding today and definitely this weekend. If you have some free time let me know and we can get together and do some riding before the 27th.

As you gather the details, just fill me in! Thanks!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Foster, are you going to be out riding at all this weekend? I have been out the past 2 days... Yesterday was a bit chilly, but the rest of the weekend is suppose to be in the upper 50's / low 60's. I know Sunday a friend and I will be out on the sport bikes. But today and tomorrow I'll be on the Dizzer...
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Yeah, I saw that the weather is supposed to be pretty mild. If I do get out it will have to be local. My sister is coming in town from the D.C. area this weekend and I need to stick around to visit with her. (Retired Navy people themselves). I would love to go but I just don't think the TLR has the tire left to make a distance more than a couple hundred miles. It has a spot of cord showing that is about three inches long and by the time I would make it back home I suspect the it would cover the whole tire. Let me feel the family out tonight and if I get a chance to get free I will post up in the morning.
    Thanks for the invite.

Kevin
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Just a bump to the top to try and find some more Indiana riders.
    What's new CJ?
    fos
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Hah, brought back from the dead!

Nothing really new here... I'm so tired of this cold weather! I did get out and ride once last week. Just kind of blasted around and got my wheelie fix in for an hour or so.

I am now dealing with a sprained ankle, which really sucks. I'm hoping it will be all healed up in a week or so. I can pretty much walk fine, but my entire foot is swollen and pretty bruised. So, I have kind of just been bumming around. I feel like such a waste when I can't get into the gym.

I would like to get some work done in the garage on the bikes but I just hate working out there when its so damn cold. I have a little space heater but it doesn't do much unless your standing 6in from it...

Well that's enough complaining for me... How bout yourself, any GOOD news?
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

great thread you have going here

lol

when we going to ride again? i want to learn how to dodge cars like the master
    I have a 2 wheel addiction
    05 KTM 625 SMC <street/dirt fun>
    09 KTM 200 XCW <woods fun>
    12 Trek Fuel EX8 <MTB fun>
    ?? Czar Mod (20") <Bike Trials fun>

Hah, sorry Indy is a bit down on riders!

And as soon as this weather warms up... and my ankle goes back to its normal size... Id be happy to teach you all a thing or two on dodging cars!

P.S... Foster, do you know about when the kart tracks will start letting us run again?
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

New Castle may be a dead issue for us next year. Just have to wait and see. Sucks though. It really is an awesome track to ride on. Just not enough green coming in to justify their time I think. Hopefully DublX will be able to pull some strings for us again. As far as Whiteland I would guess they will be open around March. Head down Front street across from the school or where they park the school buses and that is where the track is. It is small and the grounds are'nt anything special but is is a place to ride without getting run over by cars, tractors, dogs.....
    I'm staged up in Detroit tonight and it is always colder here. Someone seaid from Cincy that if wer are dumb enough to ride G&J then they will be open all year.

Thanks for the love Anti.
    As far as our lame ass Indy thread, well you gotta start somewhere. You Cincy boys have police that have a lot more to take care of than chasing some crazy bikers around the city. My little burg town would nail me left and right if I started jumping curbs and terrorizing the area. Not that I haven't done it. Just haven't been caught yet.

Kevin
    P.S. Hope I can still get an invite to the farm some day.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

That sucks about New Castle, I was really looking forward to running there this spring. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed! As far as Whiteland goes, it may not be the best but you bet I'll be there as soon as they give us the go! After all, its right down the street from me... I checked their website out and didn't see anything pertaining to us tards, so I am guessing you'd just have to call and ask?

Last weeks "milder" weather was quite the tease, as there is already snow back on the ground...
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

The truck is back and I am ready to load, haul, drop and ride.
    Who's in?
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Always down to ride... Just waiting on the weather! Good to hear you got your truck back together!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

im from plainfield up around indianapolis, i have an 08 cbr600rr graffiti and im looking for a supermoto as well, until i get one im down to go cruise with you guys on my cbr, keep an eye out for me and let me know if you see any good deals on craigslist or the forums around indiana

Welcome sweendogie, what kind of bike are you looking to get? I have a GSXR 750 as well. Unfortunately, I lowsided it last week so its going to be out of commission for a month or two while I get it back together.

Here's a few I found on CL...Also check the classifieds here on SMJ. There are a few bikes for sale in our area...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/2227480158.html

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/mcy/2193149720.html

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/2192533996.html

http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/2231726985.html
    Last edited by cj_desmit; 02-26-2011 at 10:22 AM.
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

id love to have a ktm with an rfs motor, or a honda 450 and make it legal but it seems like it would be a pain

that xr650 looks good i was mainly looking at drz's or wr's because they are out of the box ready but im open to anything

There was an 06 DRZ 400SM on craigslist in the indy area last week for 2500.00.
    Search indianapolis and search drz or something and see if it is still around.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

i saw it, it was only like 5 minutes away from me too... the post was deleted i think he sold it

Yeah you gotta be on top of your game. Any good deals get snatched up pretty fast. I use a website called http://www.searchtempest.com/. You can search multiple cities at once. Makes it a bit easier and faster to search through craigslist.
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

There was an DRZ SM with 17 inch knobbys in Cambridge City I think, around Richmond area, a month or so ago.
    DRZ's are out there. If see more whin I am searchng, I will link them up here for ya.

Kevin
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Yeah I think I remember seeing that, black one right? It was a hell of a deal. I tried convincing my buddy to get it... No luck.
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

i use a site called craigsy.com and crazedlist.com, im pretty good about finding deals... last year there was a guy in warsaw that sold a black 2008 or 2009 for $3500 with 80 miles on it... originally i was looking for my dad but now im starting to want one, street bikes are a lot of fun but i use to ride my bmx bike around town and a lot of people compare it to that without all the effort

also insurance and gas mileage on the drz's and wr's are awesome i got quoted 1/10th of what i pay on my street bike and you dont have to worry as much about getting a scratch on the plastic

i found a wr250x for 3200, if he still has it i might go get it, if not ill wait till i can find a drz or a better deal on a wr...

Yeah, motards wreck a lot better than sportbikes. Like I said, I lowsided my GSXR last week and its going to probably cost me around 1200 to get it back to how it was. If I was on the DRZ... Well I probably would have simply picked it up, dusted it off and continued on down the road!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Sweendogie, not sure if you saw this in the classifieds here but it's a steal! Make it sold!

He's asking $2600!

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...sqvarna-SM450r
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Advertisement
Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast