INDIANA SuperMotards! - Page 2
Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: INDIANA SuperMotards!

Trying to keep this thread alive...

Foster and I are planning on going to the Whiteland kart track located in central Indy in the next few weeks (14th, 15th or 16th of March). Nothing is set it stone yet, but if anyone else is interested chime in! The more the merrier! I know the track is open but we still need to confirm that we will be able to run on one of those dates. I'll post back up once I have a bit more info...
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Advertisement

Holy shit we finally made 2 pages.
    Take that Anti!!!!
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

You can ride at whiteland any day they are open and do not have races scheduled on there website just gotta take turns if Sombody rents a kart. But they will let you ride any day from open to close for 25.00. I went about 2-3 a week last season

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Well shit, that works out well!

Foster what day is best for you? It doesn't matter for me, so just let me know. Hell, I may go sooner to get a good feel for the track so I can own you!

Anyone else down?
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Oh an here's the reply in response to my question I got from the Whiteland forums...

"Hey CJ,
    Yea the track is open for the season and as of right now there isnt anything scheduled on those dates. We normally open around 11 on any of those days. Probably be a rotation kinda thing with the karts. Alot of karters will be in N. Carolina that weekend so it should be fairly open track."

-Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Yeah I don't know what day yet.
    Ultimately we would like to go all days but money isn't
    that great. I will know Saturday or Sunday before just to see the best
    day of weather. Right now I am leaning on Monday or Tuesday.
    Are there any days better for you?
    I'm pretty much available for any day.
    You won't have any problem beating me around the track.
    Just remember we have a 9 year old out there as well so don't get mad if he
    fouls up your lap time. We are out there to have fun.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

As of now, I am free any day. I'll let you know if anything comes up. No worries about your son out there. I think it's great that he gets to ride. I wish I had a bike for my younger brother to ride. He's rode the DRZ a few times around the neighborhood, but I don't think he got out of 2nd gear... I won't be pushing it to hard anyway... Especially if I don't have my new tires mounted up by then. I don't trust that front Avon I have on there now. I just hope the weather cooperates... You just never know with this Indiana weather!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

As long as you trust him to ride your shiny bike than the track is a great place to learn and get some experience. I ride with leathers and also have ridden in MX pants and my textile jacket and boots. Didn't you buy some pants last year? Suit him up and bring him. Be a big bro and pay his way and we will have a great time. He can go as solow as he wants and we will try to keep his ego in check. But you and your parents make the final call. Whiteland is a little tight but we are usually the only ones on the track and all of sumo gus I have ridden with have always been real respectable and safe riders to be on the track with.
    I may be out for Monday of that week to watch my daughter as well if my parents go to Maryland to visit my sister and her family for the weekend. They are not for sure if they are going yet but I will know more this weekend. Tuesday or Wednesday may be a better day for me. Again weather may be the deciding factor.
    Kade and I are getting excited about going riding. I guess I better get out in the garage and get the bikes washed and oils changed.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Yeah I will definitely see if I can get him to come. My parents wont mind... He's not that "little" anymore, he's 16. I'm not to worried about him wrecking as he's really not all that aggressive yet. I think I have a lot better chance of eating it. I got all sorts of extra gear so he's covered in that department. I actually wore my MX pants for the first time today with my new knee/shin guards while riding. The guards I got are called MSR Reflex Knee/Shin guards and they are badass! Super comfy, and they are hinged so it bends with your leg. You could literally go jogging in them! Best part about them, they were only 60 bones! If your in the market, I'd highly suggest them. I will most likely be in leathers, so I'll gear him up in MX pants and a leather jacket. Only thing I can think of that might be an issue for him are boots...

Good call about the oil change... I rode today and could tell it was going to be due soon. Shifting really starts to get funky... I'll have to do that in the next week or so. Have you had the bike out at all?
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Yeah, I have been out a few times all winter long on both bikes. Mine never really gets put up for the winter. Mostly in town stuff and around he county where I usually ride. I got out for about an hour last Sunday on the DRZ and found some roads around here that I have never been on and a few gravel roads so it is pretty dirty right now.
    Looks like rain for the next couple of days so I may or may not go out and play in that.
    Lots of sand on the roads around here so the corners are pretty sketchy. Keep doing the rain dance to help get the roads washed off.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Its been raining off and on the past week here. Most of the roads are pretty clean. I was going to ride today after I got out of the gym but as soon as I got done it started to rain... So, I went fishing instead for an hour and a half and caught my first 5 bass of the year!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Well, looks like my lil bro's spring break doesn't start until the 4th week in March. So, it will just be me when we head to the track. Hopefully next week it will dry up and give us some good riding weather!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

So what you are telling me is that we are going the week of the 14th and the week of the 21st? Got it.

Where are ya at for Supercross?
    We are stuck in the 600's this year.
    I bought tickets late due to no money at Christmas time.
    Then waited on friends to decide to go. Then had to find
    5 seats in a row. We will be in the building but I'm not real
    happy with the seat selection this year. Gonna make the best of it though.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

So what you are telling me is that we are going the week of the 14th and the week of the 21st? Got it.
    Good interpretation.

I actually didn't get tickets to the SX race. I bought a country music "mega" ticket this year. The ticket covers like 7 country concerts this spring/summer so I'm looking forward to that. I definitely will be at Moto GP again this year though!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Well I just got back from dropping off the GSXR. I'm having him give everything a once over to make sure everything is good to go after the lowside. If everything checks out he's going to go ahead and service my suspension while its already torn apart. I'm pretty stoked to get it all pieced back together soon.

I also talked to him about doing some work on the DRZ's suspension. It looks like after the GSXR is done I will be taking the DRZ in to get revalved and setup to my liking.

Foster, once I get the work done I'll let you romp around on my bike to see if you like the way it feels...

Here's his website...http://www.35motorsports.com/ His name's Reuben and works out of a pretty sick shop out of his own home.
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Foster, although it's still a bit away I checked the 10 day forecast. The 14th and 16th looks like rain. The 15th is suppose to me "mostly sunny and 54". Looks like our best bet unless we go later in the week as the 17th and 18th are suppose to be in the mid 50's and free of rain as well...
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

The 15th is probably my best day as well. I think I will have to watch my daughter on Monday so lets commit to Tuesday for now. I will ask Grandma (my mother and sitter) tonight to see what works best for her. I should know by 6 tonight.
    I washed my bike quickly last night but still need to dump the coolant and replace it with water. We also need to clean up Kades bike and so oil changes. I have been lazy lately and haven't wanted to hang out in the garage. We will be ready to ride though.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Alright sounds good... I was going to change the oil yesterday but when I checked it on the dip stick it still looked new. I forgot I had changed it before putting it up for the winter. I'll probably change it after Tuesday. I am pretty much ready to go as well. Although, I ordered some new pegs from Wheeling Cycle like 2 and half weeks ago and am still awaiting them! They have built in sliders so that's kind of a must have. If they don't show up, I'll have to rig something up on my stockers...

Do you usually bring a few gallons of extra gas with you, or do they have a place to fill up at?
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Well checked the weather again... They just cant make up there minds. Nothing but beautiful weather for the entire week! Check it out... http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USIN0720

Also got a hold of Wheeling Cycle... Looks like they screwed up my order and havent even shipped it yet. Any ideas on how to fab up some quickie foot peg sliders?... I think I'm going to just hack a old cutting board and zip tie a chunk of it on each peg...
    Last edited by cj_desmit; 03-10-2011 at 09:53 PM.
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

I have some pieces of delron that can be cut down and drill a hole through them and then bolt them on to the peg. I will be in Indy for Supercross tomorrow. I can meet you afterwards or bring the bike down on Sunday and we can rig something up.
    We will probably stop for White Castles in Beech Grove after the races. We could meet there.
    Did you do anything for a catch can for the fuel?
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

I should be able to jimmy something up and knock out the peg sliders today, thanks for the offer though. If I run into troubles I'll let you know. As far as the catch can goes, I asked on the Whiteland forums and they didn't mention them. All they said we needed were sliders, engine ice, and the proper attire. Do they check for a catch can at Whiteland? If so, I suppose I will have to work something out for that as well...
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

No. No one has ever had a tech inspection or anything like that. It has always been kind of an honor system as far as I know.
    You should be OK. Just act like you know what you are doing and if they ask just tell them you have been to New Castle and they were OK with your bike.
    Whiteland pretty much bases everything off of them. They just want your 25 bucks and for you not to gouge their track. But you would never notice. Like I have said before, it is not much, but it is a place to ride and have some fun.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Hah, alright... I won't worry about the catch can for now, but will go ahead and make some quickie peg sliders. Let me know this weekend if anything changes and have fun at the SX race. I'll be watching it on tv...
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

I have around 9 feet of 2" round UHMW. I used it to make my axle sliders and peg sliders. Let me know if you want some and we can cut a deal. The whole 10'-0" stick cost me $80 so a small piece for you would be stupid cheap. Heres my photo album of bike stuff so you guys can look at what I did... http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/b...rShoeBoy/Bike/ Not sure I have a clear pic of the actual peg slider but something is better than nothing right?

If you ignore the dog thats as big as my dizzer you can see a unmolested peg slider.

Basically I carved the UHMW to fit up inisde the peg as best as I could then used screws with washers and screwded from the top of the peg down into the UHMW. The screws just hold the UHMW to the peg, and the carving of the UHMW to fit up inside the peg is what keeps the screws from shearing off. This setup has survived a 60mph low side at G&J kartway, a few random drops with be being a hooligan around town, and my latest crash where I broke my leg.
    Last edited by FuzzyBock; 03-11-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    07 DRZ 400sm-Daily rider/touring bike
    01 GasGas 280 TXT

Thanks for the info and offer Fuzz. I actually just finished making some out of an old cutting board. There definitely not as strong as the derlin ones but they should do the trick for a while. I found some simple instructions on thumpertalk and followed them, here's a link...
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...00#post9869694

Foster, the weather still looks pretty good for this week. Tuesday is suppose to be around 50 and Wednesday is going to be like 60!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Well, its official... The weather men/women suckass. Now it looks as if Tuesday is calling for rain. Wednesday is still clear and Thursday is looking hella nice with a high of 69! Whats it going to be Foster?
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

I bought a Sm recently and have been looking to do some laps at NewCastle. Thank You for posting up the answers to most of the questions I had about it. I'm going to try to make it out to NCMP real soon. Oh Yeah, I live in Broad Ripple.

-Dan

Hey Dan, welcome to the boards! Good to see another sm rider from Indy, there doesn't seem to be many of us. What kind of bike do you have?

I haven't been to New Castle myself yet, but I've heard its pretty nice. Whiteland is another option for us Indy riders and another member and I are planning on going either tomorrow or Wednesday. Your more than welcome to join if you'd like...
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

CJ the cutting board material if its UHMW is basically the same as the delrin material. Over the course of a year I tend to order a lot of plastics through work and use them for very odd projects (its theater what do you expect) so the plastics guy knows me pretty well. I explained what I was looking for to make sliders and told him exactly what I was doing with it and he said hands down go with the UHMW over the delrin for the purpose of sliding the bike across pavement. So far he has not steered me wrong and I have done a number of weird shit with plastics and have yet to have a problem. Since you have the cutting board, use it! All works the same. Just gotta show us pics
    01 GasGas 280 TXT

Quote Originally Posted by Italkart21 View Post
    I bought a Sm recently and have been looking to do some laps at NewCastle. Thank You for posting up the answers to most of the questions I had about it. I'm going to try to make it out to NCMP real soon. Oh Yeah, I live in Broad Ripple.

-Dan
    That I am aware of, New Castle dates have not been set for the this year yet. They really do it as a favor to us bike guys to ride a little bit on their excellent track as they make their bread and butter on the karting. I made three or four dates last year and even brought my son for one date. They just don't make enough cash off of us to justify a few riders here or there to make it worth their while.
    That being said, hopefully the member here that usually sets up the dates for us can do his magic one more time and get us back on the track this year.
    Go to the racing clubs forum and look at the mid west section. There is a thread that covers New Castle rules and dates.
    Welcome to the Sumo club and hope to get together with some other riders real soon.
    Like I told CJ in a text earlier, downtown may be a lot of fun this summer with all the construction going on for the Super Bowl.

Kevin
    Last edited by foster; 03-14-2011 at 09:17 PM.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Bump for 20006ctd.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Whats 20006ctd...?

Anywho... Foster, his son Kade, and I went to the Whiteland Kart track today and had a great time. The weather was perfect and we pretty much had the place to ourselves up until the last hour or so. Here's a few pics, nothing to grand as I forgot I had my camera until we were about to leave!

All you Indy riders need to tag along next time! The more people we have, the more fun it would be I think! We also need to start coordinating some group rides now that the weather is starting to warm up!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Default Reply

I like some knowledgeable stuff.
    Thanks and Regards
    Delhi Packers and Movers

20006ctd is the screen name of the fellow rider from Nineavh I was telling you about.
    He modded an older Husky that looks wild. He PM'ed me because I told him he could guide us around the Princes Lakes area to the West of you. Check out his bike in the new riders area. Pretty cool bike.

Thanks for posting the pics. Kade will be pumped to see his bike on he net.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Ahh right on... I know there's a couple other newer members from Indy as well.

I'm definitely down for a ride. I was planning on a decent ride down south towards Brown County today but the weather isn't as nice as the weathermen predicted, no sunshine so far...
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Well... The weather actually turned out to be beautiful today! I was out on the bike for most of the afternoon/evening. Rode with a few of my friends... No other motards though! Just isn't the same... Come on Indy where you at??!!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Saw a guy on a red Hypermotard today when I was heading to the gym on Morgantown road. If I was on my DRZ I woulda chased him down... First motard sighting around me.... EVER.

If your lurkin' on the forums speak up!!!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Default Bump!!!

cant...let...thread...DIE!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

I have my 5 week check up tomorrow. Hopefully everything will be good and it will only be 5 more weeks before I am back up and rocking on 2 feet! I want to first take a trip up to G&J to ride around again with out fear of guard rails and trees. Once I know the details Ill let you all know
    01 GasGas 280 TXT

Good to hear man! You'll be back at it in no time!

And definitely let us know, I'm down for G&J for sure!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Yep. I have three more days to burn before April 21st. Use it or lose it time.
    Do you think you'll have the GSXR back together before April 9th?
    A bud an myself are heading to Illinois for a cheeseburger.
    Long story and we can tell you on the way.

I need to give G&J a call and feel them out about Kade riding.
    The New Castle name drop helped at Whiteland. Might need to use it again.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

I doubt I'll have the GSXR back together before then, unfortunately. I ordered China plastics and they take like 4 weeks to arrive after you order them. I'm aiming for mid April if everything goes according to plan... Which is highly unlikely.

How old is Kade? One of my buddies wanted to take his son to Whiteland and they told him kids have to be at least 10. I think his son is eight...
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Kad is 9 and will be 10 this summer. I have'nt had any problems from either track.
    Just have to sign the minor consent form and pay the money. When we were talking to the owner the other day I even told him that Kade was 9 and he didn't bat an eye.
    He said they start kids in karts at 5 depending on the maturity of the child.

Good luck
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Hmm, I wonder if he called the wrong place... I'll have to let him know. His son has a mini crotch rocket that does about 40 that he was going to have him ride.
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Although the weather royally sucks right now, next week is suppose to warm up a bit... mid 50's. If the weather cooperates I think I will try and get some laps in at Whiteland. I talked to Mike already and they said they had nothing scheduled as of now. Not sure of the exact day yet but once I get a better idea of the weather I'll post it up.

If anyone wants to join, let me know!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

working on getting a 625 ktm by the weekend! either way ill be cruising around this weekend on the 600rr or the ktm if we get it

Sounds good bro, if your out riding hit me up and we can meet up! I'll PM you my digits!
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

Who's the new guy? where ya from.

Stuck in Detroit for the night for work.

I still have some days to burn and just made my next track day entry fees.
    Did a rear tire and brakes on a Katana for a guy at work. Hopefully I can keep getting odd jobs to at least cover track fees for Kade and I for the summer.

I may do some trail riding at a buds' house this weekend. If i can get across the creek I may try to open some trails that were used about 10 years ago.

Let me know on the Whiteland date and I will try and get out of work.
    If Darkershade's knee turns out alright the he may be able to ride soon.
    Apparently he twisted his knee trying to back it into some corners.
    He is the one from Southern Indiana.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

im in plainfield about 15 minutes west of indianapolis

Sorry dude. Didn't recognize your screen name. You haven't posted in a while. Hope ya get something so we can get to riding soon.
    2001 Suzuki TL1000R
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Advertisement
Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast