SuperMoto Junkie banner

2003 KTM 525 Build

46K views 70 replies 21 participants last post by  Junkyard 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I just recently picked up this 03 525SX from an ad on these forums. Current modifications (that I know of) are as followed
2005 SMR forks
Hotcam
Jet Kit
Thumper Racing 570 bore kit
KTM Hard Parts anti-hopping slipper clutch
KTM Hard Parts Bringer radial mounted 4 piston caliper and rotor setup
KTM Hard Parts case saver
KTM Hard Parts SXS black clutch cover
Steel braided lines front and rear
Stainless valves
Carbon frame guards
EXC 6 speed trans
FMF Titanium 4 pipe
BEHR wheels
Scotts steering damper
Vapor Trail speedometer
Ninja 250 overflow tank
Exhaust boot guard
Rear axle sliders
Most important bolts are wired

My plans are to get her street legal, get rid of the graphics and get my own, get an e-fan, and possibly an oil cooler. Accessory wise I would like to get an FMF Powerbomb header, front axle sliders, Dirt Skins, hand guards. & a ScaryFast Power Now plate, then take it to the dyno to finish it up. I think most of the issues are worked out on this bike becauseThumper racing did most of the modifications to this bike like the stainless valves, seated and ground the valves, and the full 570 kit and rebuild. I am assuming they would have welded the crank to fix the issues they have but I could not tell you for sure. I do have the build sheets for it though. I am open to any suggestions as far as maintenance and longevity of the engine so throw them out there. I would rather get any bugs sorted out before I put anything else into it performance wise.
Give me some time to get the parts together and will post updated and build progress. I am trying to piece the street legal kit together with the lights that I like and trying to do it on the cheap so it may take a bit.
Most my money for this build is going to come from selling extra stock and performance parts from my old 04 GSXR 600. I also have a 1986 Ninja 600R project I just about finished up and will be selling along with a ditched 93 Shadow 1100 chopper project for income as well. who knows I may post progress on my little 1990 Suzuki RM80 along the way as well (if I ever get to it).
Cant wait to get this project going!:cheers:
Pictures of the Bike currently....

(Pardon the mess in the garage, I need to clean it! and if there are any questions, Girlfriends 2008 ninja 250, Roommates 08 DRZ400, the 1990 RM80 project......)

See less See more
#45 ·
Wow it has been a while for an update on this one but I finally found a wiring harness and battery for my bike. I would start installing it but I have a track day this weekend and I don't want to leave the bike in an un-working condition. I am just working on cleaning her up, and giving her a tune up before I head out. I should have this harness on here soon and get a little more progress done on the bike. Stay Tuned!

#51 ·
I got the stock harness, kill switch, on of switch, horn, battery box, and battery for $175 taken off a bike with 0 miles on it. Took a while to find it but I finally came across one.

#55 ·
Bored so I figured I would post a pic of its 1st track day. Wish I could do some work to it but I have to finish the my DRZ project first. There is a Powerbomb and carbon fiber boot guard in the mail for it though.

#56 · (Edited)
Bored so I figured I would post a pic of its 1st track day. Wish I could do some work to it but I have to finish the my DRZ project first. There is a Powerbomb and carbon fiber boot guard in the mail for it though.
Sweet photo, I believe you said you bought the leathers on ebay but do you know what brand they are? I'm digging the 80s retro neon colors! :thumbup:

EDIT: Never mind, just found em, frank thomas
but damn, $70!? luuucky :twofinger

#65 · (Edited)
#66 ·
I clicked the link and it took me to your sex project which I had actually read through before I checked out this thread mate. That 'paint' looks fucking awful to try and remove :headshake I couldn't find a list of parts from your 525 anywhere in it though. Does the wiring harness include everything needed to run a battery DC system? Like reg/rec, battery connectors and all that? My bike just has the stator atm. I hate the shitty lighting and want a DC system asap.

#71 ·
Sounds good, seems like I did the digging a while back and found out it was possible and that is why I bought it but that has been a while now so I would not know where I got any info lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.