Chucking my Baja Designs headlight for something cooler looking.

Thread: Chucking my Baja Designs headlight for something cooler looking.

Default Chucking my Baja Designs headlight for something cooler looking.

I just took over this CRF450x from my bro and am working on tailoring to my taste. It came with the Baja Designs street legal kit, which I quickly went to work disposing of the rear LED and license plate mount. Used a DRC LED kit in place of the stock oem LED and mounted my license plate underneath the fender.

I think next i'm going to get rid of the ugly Baja Designs headlight, so if someone is interested speak up. It has the high and low beams and is in great shape.

2001 Yamaha TTR-150L
    2005 CRF450X
    1998 Buell White Lightning

Advertisement

I don't blame ya. That thing is hideous. What are you gonna run instead? I just run the stocker since we don't have inspection in Florida. I'd get something brighter if I could find something that didn't look bad, but I have yet to see an aftermarket light that doesn't.

I like the stock headlight, which I have, but want something different from everyone else and that looks a bit more aggressive so I'm going with the Acerbis DHH in red. I have one on my XRR. The light beam it throws isn't very good but I don't do much night riding so it don't matter.

This bike is getting the world's worst tires (Dunlop 606's) taken off and replaced with Maxxis Desert IT. I just have to avoid asphalt. haha.

Here's an Acerbis DHH on my XRR.
    2001 Yamaha TTR-150L
    2005 CRF450X

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

just down the hill from 158 corners in 12 miles..cottonwood az...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
    I think next i'm going to get rid of the ugly Baja Designs headlight, so if someone is interested speak up. It has the high and low beams and is in great shape.
    is that a sticker above the headlight ? what wattage is the light in it ? im running a DRZ headlight that looks about the same but works very well on my cr500.... but its 55watt and gonna be a real drain on my battery pack at this time until i get a lighting coil to charge the battery while riding...
    how much ya thinking of asking for it ?
    thanks
    you can email me at zane_28@hotmail.com
    lance

I'm not sure what wattage it is? I just know there's a hi and a low beam.
    check your pm.
    2001 Yamaha TTR-150L
    2005 CRF450X

Nice choice, those are the coolest ones Ive seen out there, but I also like these ones:
    hard to see but this ones cool too:
    but Ill probably end up getting the acerbis dhh.

If you guys want to buy the one on the drz heres the link:
    http://www.easyparts.nl/showarticles...h=0-4-295-1073

Yeah I think I'm going for the DHH. It's the most aggressive, yet good flowing lines for a headlight I've seen. Plus you don't see many dirtbikes with them. Probably because they don't put ou that good of light. I'm not looking for a good light for night time use. Im' just looking for something that will barely keep me legal.

I put the stock 450x headlight back on and it's really nice. too bad now it looks like every other 450x out there.
    2001 Yamaha TTR-150L
    2005 CRF450X

just down the hill from 158 corners in 12 miles..cottonwood az...

Thumbs up

how much does 41,64 (pounds ???) convert to for US dollar ?? i like this alot .. im a carbon freak.. (ya i know its fake carbon )

http://www.easyparts.nl/showarticles...ix-Carbon.html

I just got the dual 4" fuego light kit from Baja Designs for my CR500 street tard... It will be going on when I reassemble it this winter.

CR500 Street Tard blacked out with Baja Designs race light kit & full port & polished motor

Quote Originally Posted by qkenuf4u View Post
    how much does 41,64 (pounds ???) convert to for US dollar ?? i like this alot .. im a carbon freak.. (ya i know its fake carbon )

http://www.easyparts.nl/showarticles...ix-Carbon.html
    just to let you know that isn't pound sterling £ its euro's ? (.NL is the nederlands)

Quote Originally Posted by 01wr426 View Post
    Nice choice, those are the coolest ones Ive seen out there, but I also like these ones:
    hard to see but this ones cool too:
    but Ill probably end up getting the acerbis dhh.
    Where can I get these lights in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyard View Post
    Where can I get these lights in the US?
    +1

sweet light setup, i really like it

Those would run about $35ish shipped to my house plus shipping to the states... 20w Halogen won't be all that bright though. About six houses down the street is the Dutch/German border. It woud be a 3 hour drive to pick them up. Maybe after the new year I can organize an order, life's to hectic at the moment.

Default Headlight Swap for Qlink XF200

Here is what I am Considering Swapping too, on my XF200.

When you ditch the BD headlight, what do you do with all the sh*t that is behind it to run the dual sport kit?

Quote Originally Posted by algunn View Post
    When you ditch the BD headlight, what do you do with all the sh*t that is behind it to run the dual sport kit?
    isnt he hooking up another headlight? I would assume if the wiring is good it will be plugged into the new headlight setup
    CR500 Street Tard blacked out with Baja Designs race light kit & full port & polished motor

I removed every piece of crap Baja Designs put between their headlight and the stock 3 plug on the oem harness. I think most of their crap was hi/lo relay and stuff. Unplugged easy enough.

Yes I'm hooking up an Acerbis DHH. For now I have the stock headlight on it.
    2001 Yamaha TTR-150L
    2005 CRF450X

I'm not a fan of the baja designs headlight or taillights either. My bike had a trick dual sport kit on it that uses those head/tail lights, but I tossed them. I went with a Polisport Halo headlight, I love it and it puts out good light (uses an H4 bulb).

I used zeta replacement LED turn signals and cut my pro taper handguards for them. I think it's a clean look, and they are very bright. I know the mirror sucks, I've ordered some better ones but they are taking forever to get here.

Default Headlight Swap for Qlink XF200????

Just found this on ebay $20 - Built in Turn Signals and Carbon Fiber Look?????

Quote Originally Posted by JTC2010 View Post
    Just found this on ebay $20 - Built in Turn Signals and Carbon Fiber Look?????

probably not even worth 20 bucks... there's enough of those acerbis copies floating around and they usually break on the spot. the fake carbon look makes it look even more like junk imho...

Get the trailtech X2, DOT or non (although the non DOT is a bit brighter). IMO one of the best looking/most functional lights out there for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by kgmx856 View Post
    I've read some reviews saying the light looks nice, but doesn't throw much light.

I picked up the Acerbis HP Vision model recently. I also picked up a ddm tuning HID bulb setup that will go in it... Just need some warmer temps for the install.. The light came with two bulbs, one white, the other a silly blue, lol..

'03 drz400E converted to sm
    '12 Triumph Street Triple-R
    '97 zx6r track beater

this is going on my CR500 motard...

All you guys and your cute little lights. I ride my bike offroad at night a few times a week here so I wanted some LIGHT. I got a bajadesigns 8" racelight. I also have an older ufo light for it that works just fine too in the smaller more normal looking setup. If I had it to start over again I would buy the 8" from the start, but in your case the trailtech x2 would probably be good.

Alan
    2000 xr650r supermoto

Quote Originally Posted by lstzephyr View Post
    All you guys and your cute little lights. I ride my bike offroad at night a few times a week here so I wanted some LIGHT. I got a bajadesigns 8" racelight. I also have an older ufo light for it that works just fine too in the smaller more normal looking setup. If I had it to start over again I would buy the 8" from the start, but in your case the trailtech x2 would probably be good.

That's pretty badass...definitely the way to go for offroad/night riding! I now a guy locally who converts those to HID, pretty cool

Hey I have their dual 4"... 4+4=8

I have an Acerbis DHH on my XR650R and as soon as I get a chance it is coming off. It is a very sad excuse for a light. If you actually plan on riding after dark do not put one on your bike. I think a decent flashlight strapped to the front would work better.
    05 XR650R plated
    05WR450F plated
    06 TW200
    06 Buell Ulysses
    03 Aprilia Caponord

You can probably get a better bulb for most lights. Upgrade the stator and the headlight wiring on your xrr if you want more light too.

My bike is set up with a rewound stator ac power to the headlight, and dc everything else through a rectifier and a capacitor. Dual regulators, and completely rewired with heavier wiring.

HID is probably the way to go, but that requires dc power and that gets complicated on an xr, unless you want a battery at which point it works fine. I prefer capacitors.

Quote Originally Posted by CTATV View Post
    Hey I have their dual 4"... 4+4=8
    Any pics of your setup on your bike? that seems like a pretty good way to go to get a high/low beam. The pattern on the 8 is probably the best part, its everywhere, with no cutoff. But that is also its biggest downside, I probably piss off some cagers.
    Alan
    2000 xr650r supermoto

not yet. the bike has been apart for a year now and when it was together before i had an acerbis DHH headlight on it (which sucks). Thats why I manned up and bought this setup. The bike is still fully appart but all the new or powdercoated parts are lined up so the build is taking place in January. I'll def post some pics of it mounted once I get it on there. Long as there isnt snow on the roads Ill be taking it for a glory ride as well lol

You can probably get a better bulb for most lights. Upgrade the stator and the headlight wiring on your xrr if you want more light too.

My bike is set up with a rewound stator ac power to the headlight, and dc everything else through a rectifier and a capacitor. Dual regulators, and completely rewired with heavier wiring.

HID is probably the way to go, but that requires dc power and that gets complicated on an xr, unless you want a battery at which point it works fine. I prefer capacitors.

Any pics of your setup on your bike? that seems like a pretty good way to go to get a high/low beam. The pattern on the 8 is probably the best part, its everywhere, with no cutoff. But that is also its biggest downside, I probably piss off some cagers.

Default New Headlight - Qlink XF200

Well my son bought me this for Christmas:

Should be here NEXT Week.

I like that look
    That had to cost a few hundred by the time you were done
    It fits the front of your XR just right

this looks good too
    I think I may run something like this on my WR450

When i go out riding in the bush and theres a chance of getting cought at night, i use this:

When i convert it to SM i use this:

Quote Originally Posted by Mazman View Post
    When i go out riding in the bush and theres a chance of getting cought at night, i use this:
    thats a giant gas tank

Default Qlink XF200 Headlight SWAP

Ok here is a pic of the NEW Headlight Mounted but this will follow-up with a write up - Ran out of time today to do much more. Check it out!

Will have to change the plug - alittle wiring - also ordered a new better brighter bulb.

You guys and your giant lights. It's like rednecks and jacked-up trucks. We call that compensation in the mental health field.

If I'm going to be riding at night for extended periods of time and find myself needing something better than my two mini lights....well, I'm probably somewhere at a time of the night where I shouldn't be!

2001 Yamaha TTR-150L
    2005 CRF450X

my bike should be together within a month or so!

Quote Originally Posted by randomzg View Post
    Get the trailtech X2, DOT or non (although the non DOT is a bit brighter). IMO one of the best looking/most functional lights out there for the money.

I'm looking at a new light for my SMC - does this throw at least an equal amount of light to a stock light (hopefully better?) I'd hate to take a downgrade on function in favor of fashion.

Bike is almost done, headlights are mounted. here is what they look like on the bike with the black headlight covers on them

i have this for sale if anyone is interested.

This looks more like Tucson/Sahuarita, AZ than Al to me!!

2001 Yamaha TTR-150L
    2005 CRF450X

Trashville TN. Home of bubblegum "pop" "Country" "Music" yuck.

I like the KTM looking one on the black DRZ above, the stock newer Husky, and the factory CRx light...

I'm also a fan of this...

When they stop making headlights that look like alien heads, I'll prolly buy one...

Until then that's not quite the statement for my bike I'm looking for...

It seems finding a nice unassuming and usable light is just not part of the market share yet... WTF?
    Last edited by Stereo; 08-02-2011 at 08:05 AM.

This looks more like Tucson/Sahuarita, AZ than Al to me!!
    Dude, you have replied to that post a few times over the last 6 months or so. lol.

It was Tucson at the time, I lived there for a couple years off and on. College in the summers in az, ski resort working in CO in the winter. I grew up in Al, so I return there at times to visit friends, parents, etc. Believe me I miss the west, but work/school necessitates my being in Al for the moment.

You guys and your giant lights. It's like rednecks and jacked-up trucks. We call that compensation in the mental health field.

If I'm going to be riding at night for extended periods of time and find myself needing something better than my two mini lights....well, I'm probably somewhere at a time of the night where I shouldn't be!
    As for the compensation joke(which cracked me up!), right across the street from the place in Tucson was wide open desert I would use to take everywhere. Hell I would ride places I needed that light going to class, the bar, or my ex-gf's place! My route to the bar included a whoops section, wide open 80mph dirt, couple washes, a high speed left sweeper that was awesome for power slides, and a couple jumps! All of that was within walking distance of home and pitch black at night.

This picture is in the Barranca del cobre in Mexico. When the sun went down that night we still hadn't found the town we were looking for and the area had no power, so no lights besides the bikes. We rode on into the night until we found a place to camp. Trust me that 8" earned its keep on nights like that. The light is probably my single favorite thing I have done to that bike, took it from sketchy dirtbike at night, to being able to see well enough for some awesome high speed night riding. There are alot of times I would like more light, especially a helmet light! If the bulb in it burns out(55 watt) it will get replaced with a 100 watt bulb. Sometimes I consider a hid kit for my light, and if I ever get the money together I plan on adding two LED helmet lights on to go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CTATV View Post
    Bike is almost done, headlights are mounted. here is what they look like on the bike with the black headlight covers on them

I like it! Looks cool, they are much smaller looking than they seemed in the original picture. I thought it would look like those double 8's which look way too wide, but it looks nice and narrow. I have always thought those double lights would look awesome mounted vertically. Let us know how good the light is on that cr500 of yours. HIDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Stereo View Post
    I like the KTM looking one on the black DRZ above, the stock newer Husky, and the factory CRx light...

I'm also a fan of this...

When they stop making headlights that look like alien heads, I'll prolly buy one...

Until then that's not quite the statement for my bike I'm looking for...

It seems finding a nice unassuming and usable light is just not part of the market share yet... WTF?
    I also prefer the look of a single round headlight. I like that smaller light on that WRR a lot. I think a round light just looks right on a motorcycle.
    Last edited by lstzephyr; 08-02-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    Alan
    2000 xr650r supermoto

I like it! Looks cool, they are much smaller looking than they seemed in the original picture. I thought it would look like those double 8's which look way too wide, but it looks nice and narrow. I have always thought those double lights would look awesome mounted vertically. Let us know how good the light is on that cr500 of yours. HIDs?
    yeah I was pleasantly surprised with the look of the lights they look better than I even thought they would. I didn't splurge for the HIDs. I won't be running a battery in my electrical system on my bike and it was like 700 bucks instead of 4 and change... I'll be taking some GoPro videos and will be sure to do a night one so you can all see how they perform. counting down the days till Friday morning when I can pick it up...

Advertisement