SuperMoto Junkie banner

Cheap, but good chain breaker?

10K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  dakh 
#1 ·
Looking to buy a chain breaker. But I don't wanna buy a $100 chain breaker. I need one that rivets too.

#2 ·
I might be wrong but I believe the one from Harbor Freight is not too bad.

#4 ·
I have owned a few cheap ones but they all broke the pins. Bought the $89 DID one and it is rock solid. The motion pro one works great too but it is again close to $100. I really believe this is one of those cases where you do actually get what you pay for.

#5 ·
You know i usually agree that it is a get what you pay for thing but the harbor freight one has held up to several chains at least 10 or varying size for 428-530 so i have do disagree on this one the thing is probably made from pot metal smelted by a 4 year old Chinese kid but is works. Its not pretty its heavy and ugly and covered in grease when you get it but it works here is a link of there shoe model and is 12 bucks new so break 7 of them to one did anyway here it is
http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-chain-breaker-66488.html
:bannana::bannana:

#6 ·
Also another thumbs up for the DID tool. I ordered one because my ducati dealer couldn't get me in for two weeks to do my 520 conversion kit. What I saved on the dealer visit more than paid for the DID tool and it worked perfectly. I looked at the motion pro unit and the one Cycle Gear sells too and the DID is built way better.

#8 ·
I just purchased the Stockton Tool co. chain press/breaker/riveter new on Ebay for 39.99 + shipping. Cycle gear sells it for $89.99. I haven't broken or riveted chain with it yet but I will be doing it on my GSXR very soon. I'll let you know how it works.

#9 ·
I seen that one at cycle gear the other day. It's hard to pull the trigger on some things for me. Like a $90 chain breaker. I know it's needed but dang. $90? For real?

I will have to look on fleabay. If I cant find anything, HF cheap-o it is.

#10 ·
I have a Motion Pro and never had any problems. It was a gift from a customer because I sold a bike for him. Before that I used a Makita die grinder and carefully ground the riveted head off and used punch to then knock it out. Not the best method, but I too didn't want to spend the price for chain breaker. It reminds me of using PVC pipe to install forks seals. It can be done that way, but if you need to do it alot, the correct tool will pay for itself. FYI, I think I'll try a HF and put it in with track tools. Can't beat that price. Good luck

#11 ·
Sorry, but you'll break pins in most kits trying to break a chain with the tool itself. The cheapest, easiest, most reliable way to break a chain is with a dremel, either by grinding down the rivet heads on one side and pressing them out, like if it's a new chain you need to shorten, or by simply cutting each wall of a link with a cut off wheel on a worn chain you are removing.

#14 ·
I riveted the RK 520 chain on my GSXR today using the Stockton tool and it worked flawlessly! I have never used a chain tool before but it was super easy. The link press works great on it as well and I don't know what I would have done without it. I did not however use it to break chain because im lazy so I used bolt cutters... :thumbup: As long as you grind down the rivet on the pin before you push it out its not going to be a problem anyway. Definitely worth the $!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.