SuperMoto Junkie banner

valve specs for S501?

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  restukey 
#1 ·
I have my S501's motor on my buddy's work bench and I don't have my manual with me. I need to know valve clearances.

Also, any head gasket sources?

TIA

#3 ·
Aight, we got the motor out of the bike and found some valve specs. We took the motor down as it was letting out some obvious puffs of smoke last trackday last year. Can't recall anything specific about the smoke.

Kind of neat how the motor drops out of the bike with the radiator in tact. With the rocker cover off the bike, it sure was pretty inside. What we found were loose exhaust, about .003 in. Intakes were a little loose too, .003 and .001.

We did a leakdown test at the end of last year. We never really thought the piston was in the right position as it leaked, intake and exhaust, steadily. I think Mdubya recalled 40%. I thougth it would be easier to get a better reading with the rocker cover off and the motor out of the bike. Try again, leakdown.

About the smoke, don't think the bike is losing coolant. And one of the exhaust has some darker coloration towards the seat, but not much crud on the valve stem. The bike doesn't have a lot of hours on it, but there was a previous owner. Any thoughts on the smoke or what to look for?

#5 ·
One exhaust leaked between 4 and 5%. It was the exhaust with the dampness in the port. There also looked like some shiny copper marks on the inside of the port too, maybe from debris and valve seat? Took the topend off and oil was getting past the rings. Plenty of gouging on the front of the cylinder towards the bad exhaust valve side. There was plenty of shiny metal debris in the oil filter too.

How easy is the crank to remove? There was also a pickup coil that partially disentegrated recently, so there are several guesses as to the source of the debris? Crank bearing, old junx from the pickup coil, or just normal wear from the transmission. Regardless the rings are having issues with something.

Post up the pics already.

Any advice out there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.