690 smc backing it in?

Thread: 690 smc backing it in?

Default 690 smc backing it in?

pls post pictures of you or whoever on a 690 smc backing it in!
    Last edited by sidewayzz; 02-27-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Advertisement

Not me...
    2011 KTM 990 SMT

Only wish I could!!!!
    2009 ktm 690SMC
    2014 ktm 300 xc-w
    2007 suzuki drz400sm (sold)
    2003 suzuki turbo hayabusa (sold)
    2008 yamaha yz250f (sold)

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Give me a few weeks for the snow to go away...

(hope to see some in the mean time though!)
    09 690 SMC & 01 M900Sie
    08 HYM (gone)
    675 Daytona (flew away)
    05 525 SMR (sold)
    01 RC51 SP1 (blown up, fixed, sold)

ooooooooooh im gonna take this as a challenge haha... i need a camera man/wife for this job lol
    2002 ktm duke 2, green, lot of mods!
    2010 ktm 690 smc, white, one off custom tail tidy, k&n pod filter, sc-project zorst, bicolour wheels and 15t up front and custom graffix by http://www.gfx-designs.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by gp637 View Post
    12 miles - 21 minutes? Did you tell google maps you were on motards?

I can only dream of backing it in on my smc.Would like to learn it though.
    09 SMC 690
    04 Ducati Monster s4r

Not SMC, but 690 SM sliding by Hiemer

Not claiming I can and not that it can't be done, but the SMC isn't exactly ideal for backing it in. Guys that are good and can get it way kicked out have real slipper clutches, and bikes that are more "nimble" (MX bike vs. 300+ lbs street bike)

even in that Cycle World vid they are tame slides, compared to what I've seen done on true racing supermoto bikes.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to see a good sideways 690 pic. Even if it is a one time "for the picture" deal and the dude highsides ot the moon after the camera clicks! When I'm parking lot racing it feels like I can do small slides, and I do leave nice consistent slide marks into a turn, but from an observers point of view it looks like I'm out for Sunday stroll
    08 KTM 690 SMC
    07 Aprilia RSVR
    00 Yamaha YZ 125

If somebody will bring me a 690 to ride and take pictures I will do it. Free of charge!
    09 KTM 250SXF/SMR
    08 KTM 450XCF/SMR
    08 Honduh 150R
    Bunch of 100s.
    McGinnis Custom Knives

heres one
    2010 ktm 690 smc, white, one off custom tail tidy, k&n pod filter, sc-project zorst, bicolour wheels and 15t up front and custom graffix by http://www.gfx-designs.co.uk/

whats the technique of backing it in?

Quote Originally Posted by xpro View Post

I cannot do it therefor this may be wrong but from everything I've read, is it just happens when you are coming into a corner hot and downshifting a few gears and the when you start feeding the clutch out the tire will start sliding and turning slowly. From there its just clutch and throttle control to keep your balance and tire sliding. If you let up too early you risk high siding...

someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    2009 ktm 690SMC
    2014 ktm 300 xc-w

Quote Originally Posted by fstbusa View Post
    I cannot do it therefor this may be wrong but from everything I've read, is it just happens when you are coming into a corner hot and downshifting a few gears and the when you start feeding the clutch out the tire will start sliding and turning slowly. From there its just clutch and throttle control to keep your balance and tire sliding. If you let up too early you risk high siding...

someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    I don't wanna highside, that's gonna hurt. Lots of guys getting this run the slipper clutches too. Kind of think if on UK torture roads, I bang down 2 gears, angle it and hope for glory, the chances of good things are minimal..
    2009 SMR510

Quote Originally Posted by Dave..id View Post
    heres one
    Dave, is that you on the blinged LSD wheeled, tail light modded personal blood given KTM??
    2009 SMR510

Quote Originally Posted by moto66 View Post
    I don't wanna highside, that's gonna hurt. Lots of guys getting this run the slipper clutches too. Kind of think if on UK torture roads, I bang down 2 gears, angle it and hope for glory, the chances of good things are minimal..
    690 SMC already has a slipper clutch stock: no need to buy one

Quote Originally Posted by bollix71 View Post
    690 SMC already has a slipper clutch stock: no need to buy one
    but not a good one. It wont allow lots of slip
    08 KTM 690 SMC
    07 Aprilia RSVR
    00 Yamaha YZ 125

Quote Originally Posted by intune View Post
    but not a good one. It wont allow lots of slip
    There is an allowance for adjustmet in the slipper clutch... For more slip or less slip, mine seems like it is spot on.... Not too much and not too little

how about a 990 smr backing it in?
    06 klx 110
    05 ktm 200 exc
    08 ktm 450 exc-r tarded

There is an allowance for adjustmet in the slipper clutch... For more slip or less slip, mine seems like it is spot on.... Not too much and not too little
    the stock clutch can be adjusted?

please tell how!!!!! mine not enough slip, especially with the stock throttle ECU gone, which supposedly helps eliminate engine braking a somewhat by keeping the throttle plate open some.
    08 KTM 690 SMC
    07 Aprilia RSVR
    00 Yamaha YZ 125

I could slide my old 625 no problem and it didn't have a slipper. Just takes some practice.

It does hurt. I highsided and got knocked unconscious and got a concussion and also tore cartilage in my shoulder. It feels good though once you get the hang of how to do it consistently.

the stock clutch can be adjusted?

please tell how!!!!! mine not enough slip, especially with the stock throttle ECU gone, which supposedly helps eliminate engine braking a somewhat by keeping the throttle plate open some.
    Sorry I came across like I knew.... It was supposed to be more a question than a statement lol sorry :-/

Anyways all I know of the smc slipper is that it's not a real slipper, it's an anti hop clutch..... Annnnd i was thinking if you can change the shims or springs in it to change the preload of the pressure plates?
    How much engine breaking do you wanna eliminate?
    And what and how did you what with the throttle ecu?
    I love coming on here cos I'm just learning all the time about my bike

Quote Originally Posted by hazmatt View Post
    I could slide my old 625 no problem and it didn't have a slipper. Just takes some practice.

It does hurt. I highsided and got knocked unconscious and got a concussion and also tore cartilage in my shoulder. It feels good though once you get the hang of how to do it consistently.
    Where did you get your practice time, was it track or street? We've loads of roundabouts but most decent large ones have CCTV covering them and the cops are there in no time once the call goes out and I don't need the hassle. Even trading estates have CCTV. Free space here is limited.
    2009 SMR510

Where did you get your practice time, was it track or street? We've loads of roundabouts but most decent large ones have CCTV covering them and the cops are there in no time once the call goes out and I don't need the hassle. Even trading estates have CCTV. Free space here is limited.
    I practice in parking lots and industrial areas.... But mostly on the street haha
    There's quite a few slide marks going into the street leading up to mine haha

Sorry I came across like I knew.... It was supposed to be more a question than a statement lol sorry :-/

Anyways all I know of the smc slipper is that it's not a real slipper, it's an anti hop clutch..... Annnnd i was thinking if you can change the shims or springs in it to change the preload of the pressure plates?
    How much engine breaking do you wanna eliminate?
    And what and how did you what with the throttle ecu?
    I love coming on here cos I'm just learning all the time about my bike
    I am running the stand alone Vortex X10 ECU which eliminates the OEM ECU and Throttle ECU. No more throttle override from the 2nd ECU anymore. The throttle servo motor is now disconnected. just 1:1 connection now with throttle tube.
    08 KTM 690 SMC
    07 Aprilia RSVR
    00 Yamaha YZ 125

I am running the stand alone Vortex X10 ECU which eliminates the OEM ECU and Throttle ECU. No more throttle override from the 2nd ECU anymore. The throttle servo motor is now disconnected. just 1:1 connection now with throttle tube.
    um... wow!! thats freaking sweet!!! can you tell me what the benefits have been for you with this? like more power?, more usable power? and smoothness of the throttle?
    can the vortex ecu programmable?

Dave, is that you on the blinged LSD wheeled, tail light modded personal blood given KTM??
    hahaha no.... unfortunately i dont have any pics of me sliding, BUT i really want a couple and last time we stopped to take pics, i got some wheelie/stoppie ones then the security told us to scram haha

Found this on youtube

hahaha no.... unfortunately i dont have any pics of me sliding, BUT i really want a couple and last time we stopped to take pics, i got some wheelie/stoppie ones then the security told us to scram haha
    Cool! I think that's a huge attraction with SM bikes. I grew up with a TS100, then a DT250MX and honestly, getting on the Husky is like being 18 again, yeah I wish! I think the only rear end sliding I've done got my ass sliding in my pants ha ha and thought I'd be kissing trees so yeh, agree, going to try and improve the skills. Somewhere!
    2009 SMR510

Cool! I think that's a huge attraction with SM bikes. I grew up with a TS100, then a DT250MX and honestly, getting on the Husky is like being 18 again, yeah I wish! I think the only rear end sliding I've done got my ass sliding in my pants ha ha and thought I'd be kissing trees so yeh, agree, going to try and improve the skills. Somewhere!
    practice makes perfect mate, just get the wheel sliding in a straight line then practice it turning.
    one more little hint is to not do too much too quick.... youll start getting it and then you get over excited over cook it and launch yourself to the moon haha

ps.... hows the wheels coming along??

practice makes perfect mate, just get the wheel sliding in a straight line then practice it turning.
    one more little hint is to not do too much too quick.... youll start getting it and then you get over excited over cook it and launch yourself to the moon haha

ps.... hows the wheels coming along??
    Moon flight booked

Yeah, wheels done, cheers for remembering mate. Took a few pointers from other guys here and gone for a 5" rear rim over the 4.25" OE job. Got a Goldspeed 160 on there and sits a treat with little overhang. Just need to set up a lateral chain slap roller and good to go.

Link to pics:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...-wheel-options
    2009 SMR510

Awesome job dude!!
    I'm gonna have to hit you up for a ride when I come back to England for a ride!
    The duke is getting lonely and needs a serious thrashing haha

Awesome job dude!!
    I'm gonna have to hit you up for a ride when I come back to England for a ride!
    The duke is getting lonely and needs a serious thrashing haha
    Ha ha by the time you get to England will be about the time I FINALLY get the bike on the road. Shall we say like, late summer?
    2009 SMR510

Ha ha by the time you get to England will be about the time I FINALLY get the bike on the road. Shall we say like, late summer?
    Haha late summer it is then

Quote Originally Posted by xpro View Post
    Here is a good explanation of "How to", not that I tried it yet but makes sense. Enjoy.

http://www.supermotoracer.com/SMR%20...2_backitin.pdf
    08 KTM 690SMC, FMF 4.1, Conti Road Attacks
    02 KTM 200EXC
    04 Yamaha YFZ450, too many things to list(For Sale)
    93 Yamaha FZR600 (sold)
    03 Yamaha Banshee (sold)

^^^ wow that was wicked!
    Have no Heroes, look up to no one, because if someone is always leading the way, the best you’ll ever be is 2nd.

check out at starting at 3:14... is it my imagination or is there 2 people on the bike during the fish eye lens look....
    2009 ktm 690SMC
    2014 ktm 300 xc-w

Spokane Valley, Washington, United States

there does appear to be a second set of legs in there...

I wish I had a photo or video of this moment, as my buddy said the rear was some place solidly past 45 degrees out probably headed to 60 degrees stepped out on my 690. But I'll totally cop to the fact that it was not *at all* intended and there's probably a decent hit of luck that didn't have me off the bike

On a ride something speared the tire and I ended up with a slow leak. We did what we could to patch, but it didn't seal the leak. Luckily someone was smart enough to get a foot pump and allowing me to limp it home with a pull off every few miles to air up.

While one stop on a shoulder, a big truck generated enough wind to push over the bike and bent the hand guard into the front brake lever, jamming it. So besides having a leaking tire I only had a rear brake for most of the trip home. And no didn't have the right tools to free up the lever - that time. Now they live under the seat, always.

Next air stop was at a gas station immediately off a major highway on/off ramp junction - lots of trucks, cars stopping etc - probably made the road a little slick

Left the gas station, went to make the 90 degree right to get back on the highway. As I'm setting up for the turn, I go to grab a little front brake as I'm still thinking I should not use the the rear (was tired, hot and brain was not at full power)...yeah jammed, zero front brake. I 'Oh crap"ed and then stomped the rear, locked it up and started a slide, clutched it and gassed it and slid it onto the highway ramp. Not exactly the way I envisioned my first instance of really getting her sideways, but I managed it with enough deftness that my buddy had to ask if I'd meant to do it.

"Hell no. I was trying not to crash after I realized I had no front brake."
    "Huh... You've got a funny way of trying not to crash"

Just some eye candy from a guy who can "back it in" it's worth watching the whole clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20XsaHpRQC8

my brother on the first day of him learning to slide
    we both own a 690, I started learning the same day. I can't back it in as wide as him yet, but getting a basic slide is not hard at all
    | KTM 690 SMC '08 | Honda Africa Twin '90 |
    KTM 690 wiki

Advertisement