SuperMoto Junkie banner

2011 SM511 vs 2010 SM510?? Which to chose? Anyone seen / ridden both??

31K views 55 replies 27 participants last post by  moto66 
#1 ·
Currently have a 2008 SM510r with P/U kit, Arrow, IMS 3gal tank that I really enjoy. Like it so much in fact that I decided to chip in to get my buddy to buy one also. When looking for other used 2008s I realized there were some pretty big changes to the 09/10 models (largely EFI related) and found a 2010 at $2500 off sticker so decided to get him that one. In the meantime sold my 2008 to another friend so we could all go riding and I need a new bike now so figure I'll get another 2010 at same deal.

Then I start reading about the 2011 SM511 and it seems there are again some pretty big changes to the motor. Not many magazine reviews yet (pls let me know if you have some links) but early rider reviews seem very positive.

I can get a 2011 SM511 for about $1500 more than the 2010. Both will need about $500 in exhaust mods / larger gas tanks - so that part is a wash. So for the guys who have seen / ridden both...would you pay $1500 more to be on the 2011 SM511??

#34 ·
+1 it's true.

#38 · (Edited)
Nice graph skully...I would love to see a comparion against an older model SMR..

I dont think you can draw such conclusions from that small first ride report...the mags arent totally unbiased either..

I've read a german enduro test and it actually finished 2nd behind the KTM.

Too bad they dont bring the new bikes to the US. They probably have plenty of the old model left in the warehouse.

Here's a nice 449 TC converted to SM by xoffroad:

http://www.supermoto-central.com/in...cial-by-xoffroad&catid=4:news-racing&Itemid=6

#40 ·
The more I see them the more I like them.:thumbup:

#46 ·
^^:rofl: that's a fact.

#50 ·
So true! I just find it interesting that things are never what they seem. Ducati being owned by Texans, MV used to be owned by HD, Husky made in Italy owned by BMW. Its that global economy thing I guess! :thumbup:

I'm with you though, I'm glad I own the last of the Italian made bikes.

#51 ·
Bike's lineage...

The pre-2011’s are as sexy and well rounded as you would expect a product of Swedish parents, German Boarding School education, and Northern Italian nationality to be… No idea of the lineage of the post-2011’s, German/Taiwanese, built in Italian public schools after a budget cut? OK the analogy is a stretch, but really it is frowned upon to take note of lineage these days anyway so who cares. Everything is swirling down the same branding toilet.

#53 ·
Did your dealer explain why he wasn't impressed? I'm not really impressed with what BMW is doing to the Husky line in general. I mean, didn't they buy the Husky name to tap into the younger market? If they could have done that with their own designs, they wouldn't have needed the Husky name. Instead they slap a Husky sticker on it, offer $1k off, and expect us to gobble them up. :headshake

#54 ·
Not impressed with the power or handling. TM has been eating Husky's lunch in supermoto. BMW seems to have taken a step backwards with the 449/511. It remains to be seen if there's development potential in the machine. BMW couldn't make the 450 go for David Knight. 3 time world champ.

#55 ·
the new huskies are not equal to the old bmw450x so don't bother comparing them directly. the only simularities is that the new generation huskies are built around the bmw450x engine and even that part isn't exactly identical on the BMW and the new huskies. the chassis has been developped by husqvarna who still do their own R&D work, not BMW. husqvarna also further developped the motor to up the performance. whatever flaws or shortcomings the bmw450x may have had, the new huskies won't be the same.

the dyno run I posted show the new bikes have potentional. our local husky dealer actually bought a 449 SMR for himself and he liked the handling and performance. the guy rode enough different huskies (not to mention other bikes) to know what the actual differences are between the new and old generation SMR huskies so I'll take his word for it. figure that's worth more to us then handling info on the TE. knowing that I can't imagine the 511 being worse than the old 510.

#56 ·
I popped into my Husky dealer last Friday.

I originally went in there in late 2009 to buy a used 610 in black, nice bikes. But when he wheeled out the new 09 510 I grinned like a kid and knew I had to have it. Now last Friday and the showroom is full of the BM Huskys. I really don't know but there was no heart leap. They are clean looking. They are put together well. But I had zero 'feeling' for them.

If you want a probably solid machine then i don't doubt they'll be fine. They, just for me, don't have that on the street sex appeal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.