SuperMoto Junkie banner

04 450 SMR Questions

48K views 90 replies 12 participants last post by  Lone Wolf 
#1 ·
So I will be picking up an 04 450 SMR this weekend from a local guy. The bike has fairly low miles and is in decent shape, picking it up for $2k.

I know about the maintenance issues, first thing I am going to do is change the oil and check the valves.

Couple quick questions:

The guy has all of the street stuff in a box, he said it came that way from the dealer. Does that make sense? The wiring harness doesn't look cut but there are no connectors for the lights to plug into. There is also no speedo or gauges.

The bike won't stay charged when you run it longer than 20-30 minutes at a stretch. I have heard rumors about charging problems with these bikes but are they true? He is waiting on the parts for the kick start kit but right now it's e-start only.

What type of suspension changes are people making? I weigh 180 without gear and the bike seemed to feel okay with me on it. What are the typical sag numbers? I have heard 2" is good. Any other recommended geometry changes, drop/raise the forks, etc?

Thanks for any help it's much appreciated.

See less See more
#89 ·
this is in another post, but no replies Help me

I have a 2004 husqvarna sm450 but not able to see the engine number.
not if you have to remove a little paint on where it is assumed that this number.
not observed anything strange place to head to the number.
or want to think that changing the crankcase and therefore do not see the number.

someone can put a picture of how you see the number or position that is.
I thank you for your help and hope you can understand my writing because I do not speak English, thanks.

#91 ·
Ok Dude!!! Your engine # is on the crankcase....behind the midpipe (I think that is what it is called :headscrat)...it is directly behind the y-shaped pipe on the crankcase....you may have to remove the exhaust to see it properly or you could what I did and shine a flashlight :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.