Question Huh..

It was there when I left..

The Suspension Answer-man:
    FastBikeIndustries.com

You all laugh because I'm different.
    I laugh because you're all the same.

Advertisement

been there. use safety wire

I've heard of plates being stolen before. I don't get it. Explain that one when the leo pulls you over. Let's see. Stolen plate, no motorcycle license and no insurance. The fine and court costs are more than being legal.

damn, that sucks. ill have to use safety wire. so if you go to the dmv will they put out an alert on your old plate? or will you have to pay the 60 bucks or whatever for a new one? let us know how the proccess goes. im safety wireing mine tonight. or at least some lock nuts and loctite so they cant get it withought some tools in thei pocket
    09 WR250X
    08 SM450R

No no..it wasn't stolen.
    Bike never left my sight. It just bounced off somewhere. I took some bumpy roads home..
    But I'm usually real anal about my fasteners. Shit don't fall off my bikes.
    Well..until now..

I always use SS bolts/washers/locknuts on my plates too. Makes em a bitch to steal.
    I allready went down to the DMV. $15 for a new tag. And I like the numbers better on this one too! Very confusing. It'd be hard to reapeat it ..say to a police officer or sumpthin..
    Last edited by Chase; 03-15-2011 at 08:28 AM.
    The Suspension Answer-man:
    FastBikeIndustries.com

You all laugh because I'm different.
    I laugh because you're all the same.

When I put the MRD on the ole dizzer,it ripped my plate off! I knew about where it fell off but couldn't find it....
    09 Kawasaki KLX 450R
    2006 DRZ 400 SM SOLD
    1998 RM 250 SOLD
    Suspension by:
    www.fastbikeindustries.com

Quote Originally Posted by muxherdlr View Post
    When I put the MRD on the ole dizzer,it ripped my plate off! I knew about where it fell off but couldn't find it....
    me too man! except i had no idea where to even start looking!

i love when innocent pedestrians cross the street behind me while im waiting at a light or something, and they get nailed by my (idling) exhaust. you can feel that pressure wave easily 15-20 ft away!

(Braaaping at them would be cruel... )

I turn mine side ways so the exhaust dont hit it. I have broke three in half from vibrations. Now a have a piece of aluminum under my plate I cut to match it. Theres some foam between the two to soak up vibrations. works well.
    2013 WR450SM
    Best youtube channel EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    youtube.com/thegardensnake
    http://www.facebook.com/TheGardenSnake

Items for Sale

And here I was buying all this crap about you being the "confirmed" (by qualified Sonic onlookers no less) slowest guy in WNC, and now you go and outrun your license plate.

I've broken the last two Chase, just like Garden, they crack on the exhaust side and eventually break all the way through. I ended up using some rubber o rings this time to try and build in a little flex and see if that helps. If not, guess I'll fab a backing plate for mine too.
    www.FastBikeIndustries.com
    "Just stay in the fast lane, and keep moving, you cannot predict your final day, so go hard for the good times while you can." Kenny Stabler
    '08 DRZ 400sm - FCR, E cams, SSW / MRD, Tuned by Wheeler
    '02 XR 50 - 1/4 scale stunt bike

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool63 View Post
    I've heard of plates being stolen before. I don't get it. Explain that one when the leo pulls you over. Let's see. Stolen plate, no motorcycle license and no insurance. The fine and court costs are more than being legal.
    Easy - With a plate, you "look" fine - When the "pull over" comes, so does the run
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

safety wire is good. my plates have always bent back for some reason and snap off. so now i safety wire the bottom holes one side to the other and from that wire up the middle attatching it to the bracket. like a Y keeps it from bending and if it does fall off its still attatched.

Lost quite a few plates, now I use zip ties, so far so good.

On the Wr, my plate cracked in half from vibrations.
    Slowly.....Healing.....
    08 Huskey 510 SMR
    CBR600RR (SOLD)
    2003 Wr450f (SOLD)
    2004 kx125

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    But I'm usually real anal about my fasteners. Shit don't fall off my bikes.
    Anal fasteners, shit don't fall? .........Wait, what ?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Goosedog View Post
    Anal fasteners, shit don't fall? .........Wait, what ?!?!
    I'm with Goose on this one...this talk of anal fasteners and even the thought of shit NOT falling is making me think bad things about certain mechanical abilities......

You know there is a cheap way to fix this right?........

Cut a mouse pad and layer it double thick...use 4-1/4-20 allens or bolts and "squench" nuts.....NOT lock nuts or doubled up ........You know the kind where the nut is "smashed oval and stamped on top" to squeeze the bolt?? Washers under the heads and nuts to spread the load and the rubber will take up the vibes, use a metal plate frame and your good.

I've lost four plates. My problem was with the plate vibrating so much that it would crack and break off, leaving the fasteners in place.
    Luckily my Dad has a nack for saving just the right bits and 'extras' from a lot of the bikes that he's owned in the past. One of those bikes was a 1982 Can Am Qualifier 250. He bought it new in '82. Race enduro that he somehow blue plated without DOT tires, mirrors, signals, speedometer, etc.
    Bombardier designed an ingenius synthetic foam/rubber plate mount that was meant to take a beating from thick bush without loosing your green plate.
    The last time I lost a plate (over 20,000 km ago) my Dad surprised me and put the Can Am "plate damper" on with my new plate. Works amazingly and looks great, too. Very low profile and if you know what it is, it adds a little bit of 'retro cool' to the bike.
    I don't have a pic of it on the bike but this is the best shot of the original that could find.

1993 Honda VFR750F
    2006 Suzuki DR-Z400SM
    1988 Yamaha RZ350 (sold)

"Not now officer, I'm on the clock!"

check out how fuzzy had to keep his plate on not pretty but it works, i guess.

I have a 2 wheel addiction
    05 KTM 625 SMC <street/dirt fun>
    09 KTM 200 XCW <woods fun>
    12 Trek Fuel EX8 <MTB fun>
    ?? Czar Mod (20") <Bike Trials fun>

Advertisement