SuperMoto Junkie banner

2009 SM510R rear wheel options

54K views 151 replies 17 participants last post by  Mr3 
#1 ·
Apologies if this has been posted before but time is of the essence.

I've got my 09 SMR wheels in for rebuilding and they started the front today. Cool. Then it struck me, rather than getting the rear just rebuilt, why not fit a larger rim as the 150 tyre choices are limited a bit. I'm thinking a 5" rim is the way to go, which will give me options to fit a 160 section rear.

Is anyone running a 5" rear rim with a 160 tyre and what, if any clearances issues did you have or is it a no brainer, just do it?

Thanks in advance.

BTW I'm using the stock hubs, powder coated black, polished SS spokes, keeping the original look(ish).

#5 ·
You have the most tire selection with the 5" also. And plenty of room in the swinger.

#7 ·
Thanks guys. Called them this am and they're going to lace the OE hub to a 5" rim. I know it would have been easier to just buy a pair of aftermarket wheels but I like the look of the stock hub. Nice and solid looking and stamped with an 'H' so wanted to keep them :D. And yep, better tyre choices now.

Gutzy, did you get your PCV sorted? - re the CH tech post.

#8 ·
Yes it's all good. I'm just glad that's all it was. If you didn't tell me where that little bugger was, I'd still be pacing at night.:rofl:

#11 · (Edited)
Sorry, haven't quite worked out the multiple quote reply yet..?

Gutzy, no problem, glad you got it sorted!

Tee dub, place is not too near me so a post them off job and deal over phone which is not my first choice but they seem good so far :anim_peep:

http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/smpro_supermoto/smpro_supermoto.html

MXrider, was going to be £370.00 all in incl VAT and return shipping for black PC hubs, black SS Elektron coated spokes and black alloy nipples. They found though that the black nipples didn't fit in the rim holes - edit - so.... I've gone for polished SS spokes, nickel plated brass nips, PC'd black hubs, and a 5" rear rim, to be anodised black to match the OE front. The whole deal is going to be around £500.00 now, about £150.00 cheaper than a wheelset but totally personalised. I've finally got a Photobucket account so I'll put some pics up here in a week or two when they're done.

#12 ·
That should look pretty sick my friend. :thumbup: You will be amazed how much better a 5'' is.

#13 ·
I recently went from the standard 4.25" rear to a Talon/Excel 5" rear, I can tell you now that certain 160 tyres will foul the chain:hmmm: I originally bought a 160 dunlop Qualifier, this was huge (closer to 170mm across widest part)and as a result there was no way it would fit without rubbing then chain quite badly.
In the end I went for a Goldspeed pre cut slick, which is a narrow 160, and that fitted with no issues at all.
Seeing as though you are having your wheels built, you might want to consider the offset, and have the rim moved away from the sprocket a few mm further than standard just to avoid any issues:thumbup:

#15 ·
Gutzy, cheers man! I thought the handling was real good with the 4.25" so hoping the 5" will improve things even more as I grow into the bike.

SMRDave, good thought re the offset. I've seen a post somewhere that lists tyre sizes and physical dimensions on rims. Can I find it.. :headscrat I'll ask the wheel shop re the offset. I looked at Maxxis, they're cheaper here than most of the 'big brands' and some good grippy rubber. Are you running them for street use?

MXrider, yes, ditched the OE chain, it got salty and turned to shit.. am running a DID non O ringer with split-link so got a bit more clearance there :)

#21 ·
I run Maxxis Goldspeed grooved slicks on the street and have been very impressed:thumbup:

#19 ·
DONT FORGET ABOUT YOUR EXHAUST!!!! If you offset the wheel, look at where the exhaust will be relative to the new tire width. You dont want to constantly hit your exhaust with the tire, although a little bit of rub wont hurt..

#20 ·
Thanks. I've been thinking about this tonight and I'm going to get the wheel back, centred, not offset, then fit it in the swingarm, run the chain and do some real good measurements. Then check out tyre sizes at my local tyre shop. My mate knows a guy who rebuilds wheels for classic bikes for a living so if any offset is needed, I'll go there. Seems there's a bit of interest in this, the 5" rim query, and also fitting to the OE hub. I'll take some pics when the wheels back with ye olde measuring device for you guys. Appreciating all the input :thumbup:

#23 ·
JR is right about the exhaust. I have the dual set up and mine was rubbing on the throttle side pipe. I just shifted the offset over the other day, no big deal at all.

I have never wasted a gold speed tire, but I have heard good things about them. Best tire for track/street use.:coffee:

#25 ·
Goldspeed pre cut slicks are road legal in GB, so I would imagine they are over the pond too. All their tyres are a narrow 160 which is an added bonus. On the road I am running the cut slick on the rear and an Avon Pro Extreme rain on the front :thumbup:
This is the clearance on my 510 with the 160 fitted (as you can see I also drilled/tapped the swinger and fitted a couple of rollers to stop tyre rub)

#26 ·
Nice pic Dave, looks like you're running an O ring too and still have clearance. Saw your post before re the rollers and great idea. AAA racing show a guide but it looks like it's part of the chain guide assembly:

http://www.aaa-racing.com/pages.php?pageid=19

How do you find the Avon/Goldspeed combo? I'm going to be 90% street but like the idea of small blocks for some odd green lanes/tracks. And the pre-cuts are road legal? Result.

#27 ·
To be fair, since fitting the rear I have not had a front brake on the bike, so as yet have not had the opportunity to test the front/rear combo. However I have had the front fitted for a short while and it seemed fine in combination with the OE 4.25" rear and Dunlop D253
All my riding is on the road, and I have opted for this combo purely because it allows a really soft front which warms up quickly, and yet still wears at a reasonable rate:thumbup:
I have found over the last couple of years that these bikes are quite sensitive to tyres, with certain ones causing the bike to become unstable at slightly higher speeds, so hopefully this will not be the case with the new rear:hmmm: (did have a Goldspeed Street Sport Ultra set fitted with OE 4.25" rear, and it was bloody scary at anything above 65mph!)

#28 ·
Err.. I've read that elsewhere about the Goldspeed Ultras at speed.

Are you running the forks high up in the yokes? I first ran mine one groove above down but dropped them to be flush with the top yoke and found the handling light but stable at anything up to 90+. That was on the shagged Dunlops too.

I'm hoping the 5" rim/160 will give some of the sportbike feel/contact at the rear. Odd coming from sportsbikes, def takes some time to gel but loving it through and through.

I've read nothing but good stuff re the Avon Extremes and they give better grip for firetrails etc - (if you can find any). I'm thinking I'll go down the same route as you and give the pre-cut Goldspeed rear a look :D

#29 ·
In relation to the forks, I am running them one notch/line down, and with the OE tyres had absolutely no problems with stability up to max speed.
The Ultra's really were scary, I experimented with different fork heights/tyre pressures, yet nothing solved or even lessened the problem. I tried the OE front in combination with the Ultra rear, and although this was quite a bit better, it was still a bit unnerving at higher speeds, which would indicate it was the front that was the main issue.
When I had the Ultra rear fitted it was on the original 4.25" rim, which may have pinched the profile somewhat(although I believe that they are suited to 4.5" rims which isn't far out) I am hoping that with the near 5" rear I have fitted now, that this is more suitable to the 160 profile of the slick as well. I'll soon find out as my new Brembo radial turned up today, so I now have a front brake:thumbup:

Dave

#30 ·
managed to have a blast today with the new setup:hmmm: bike is fine up to about 75, after that the dreaded speed wobble which cursed me with the Ultra's has returned..... I guess I should have expected it really seeing as though the pre cut slick is of a very similar makeup etc as the Ultra.
I am going to play around with the rear pressure and maybe drop the forks a little further in the triples (I am running second line on forks sticking out of the top) to see if that will help. It is not the end of the world I guess, as these things are the most fun below those kinds of speed anyway, so rather than take it off and replace it I am going take advantage of the grip it offers, and keep the bike below the danger mark:thumbup:
To be honest once warm the tyre is so soft and sticky I can't see it lasting long anyway.

#31 ·
Err again...., doesn't paint a confidence inspiring picture :lol:

Appreciate your input Dave, can't beat recommendation. I wonder how you'll find the handling with the forks dropped some more? I'm running flush with the top yoke and turns in as fast as I need for street use and so far very speed stable. Seems though, that if you never had those issues with the OE tyres then the change to the Goldspeeds is the issue. Maybe that sort of high speed pproblem is commonplace but I doubt it. I've never ran slicks, cut or not so am in uncharted territory here.

I'm def sold on the SM bike deserves more specific rubber but know I'll get pissed off if I can't run at 70 odd without feeling safe. Maybe a matching pair of Avons is the way to go, but like you wanted the dry road grip of the slick. I'll be interested to know how you get on. Prob another week before I see my wheels..

Nice one with the front brake! Was a cracking day today eh? Saw about 30 bikes on my travels. The summer begins :bannana:

#32 · (Edited)
I'd be more than happy to run a matching set of PXR's, however I think the rear would be chewed up in no time. Another issue is the PXR's size, I am not sure if it would fit without rubbing the chain:hmmm:
There is a used DRZ400S/M for sale at a local bike shop, it has a 160 Pirelli supercorsa Pro on the rear, so I am going to measure that across its widest point. As long as it's no wider than 160mm then it would fit fine, and would therefore be another option. :thumbup:

Dave

#33 ·
Sound. Wonder what size the DRZ rim is??

I was originally thinking the Avon SM front with a road tyre rear. Pilot Powers were my thoughts or even the 2CT compound for some improved wear. The rear's gonna heat up way more than the front and the SM's seem quite harsh on rears compared to my sportsbikes. Possibly as there's no cush too.. So like you say, the balance of wear/grip should be pretty good on a 90% streeted SM bike.

If I get time tomorrow I might email Michelin, Bridgestone etc and see what outside diameter they give for their 160's on a 5" rim.

#35 ·
I will pop around to the shop today and have a closer look, unless they have been replaced I'm pretty sure the standard rim on a DRZ is 4.5".
I dropped the forks as far down as possible today, this did improve matters a bit, also I found that if you don't fight the head shake and relax your grip on the bars, it seems to subside somewhat, although it is still not gone completely:hmmm:
Anyhow, I can defo' live with it for the short time the tyre will last. I took the rear to the edge of its tread on both sides today and it sticks to the road like shit to a blanket.
Let us know what the manufacturers say regarding width on a 5" rim:thumbup:

Dave

#34 · (Edited)
Late to post

I am still trying to sell :headscrat or keep and race my 07 510 this year.:D
Raced the past 2 years on my little 150r running Bridgestone GP 125 tires :bowdown:
Very Happy with the brand... but not 4.25 wheel from Husky for race tires. This is
what I ended up with $ 225 shipped BT003 RS : front 120/70ZR17, rear 150/60ZR17.
These tires are AMA spec. class (GPZ 250) RACING street (DOT) duel compound med/soft ?

I broke-in the rear at Infinon last month, when I got it heated-up it hooked up great.
Hoping for a dry Sunday to scuff-up the front.

Trying to Keep my many hobbies affordable, "just say no to tire warmers".:thumbup:

#510 SMUSA

Attachments

#36 ·
Hi Dave

Emailed Bridgestone and Michelin yesterday. No response from Bridgestone but got the following from Michelin. Which is cool as I didn't really expect a reply:

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

We would advise that unfortunately, we do not have the 160/60 ZR17 69W Pilot Power as a recommended fitment for your motorcycle, sorry.
However, with reference to the sizing of the 160/60 ZR17 69W Michelin Pilot Power the minimum and maximum size tolerance (section width) can be from 161mm (millimetres) up to 177mm.

For your motorcycle the Manufacturers OE (Original Equipment) requirements for the rear is a 150/60 ZR17 66W on a 4.25 rim.

We strongly recommend that you liaise with the Motorcycle manufacturer and seek their help and advice on alternative tyre sizes before you make any changes.

We have allocated your message the reference number indicated above. If you need to contact us again regarding your message, we would be grateful if you could include the reference number.

Once again thank you for your interest in Michelin.

Yours sincerely

Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company

Which is a pretty cool reply, obv guarding their arses too. Didn't show you the 85 line disclaimer! Did reply, say cheers for info, am putting it on a 5" rim, professionally built etc but I think the idea of dropping in your tyre shop and having a measure up is prob best. If they state that much tolerance in section then it really is a case of measuring before you buy.

Nice one re your Goldspeed. Def horses for... if you want a super sticky don't expect it to be high speed missile straight. If you're getting a pretty fast turn in I'd try dropping the forks fully and try again. It might just correct any wobble. Well, for as long as that tyre lasts! :lol:

Just a thought, remember trip through France, 120+ on autoroute and chronic wobble/vibes. Found local tyre shop, wheel totally out of balance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.