SuperMoto Junkie banner

WR250X----MpFab Turbo Kit Just Showed Up !!!!!

53K views 57 replies 35 participants last post by  whiskey67 
#1 ·
:bannana::bannana:

250 not enough?? Make it enough!!!! :nutkick:

See less See more
#31 ·
i really havent done a full 2nd-6th gear street run to redline on it, but it reads 7-8 psi the best i can see from looking down and back up again.

working on getting the gopro going, have to go borrow my bros. it sounds freaking sweet. at idle and through the revs the bike is about 50% quieter than it was before the install. i'll post some vid action as soon as i get it.

til then ride safe all :thumbup:

#38 · (Edited)
H o w. M u c h ????
From an email I received from MPFab:

"We do have kits instock. The kit will add around 75% hp and tq( roughly 45whp and 25wtq) and designed to work with a completely stock engine. Price shipped to lower 48 is $1800.00(additional fees apply for international shipping) with a $200.00 option available that includes a ported turbine housing and a higher flowing exhaust outlet that not only produces a little more power but increases response of the turbo. They are designed to run 6-8psi and work with stock or aftermarket exhaust. 93 octane is the minimun you can run at this boost level. 91 octane is acceptable if boost is kept around 5psi. Typicall installation time is 3-5hrs depending on skill level. Electronics are included as well as a base tune. From what I've seen, there is a definant varience from one bike to another in regards to base fueling so the tune provided is only there to get the bike running. It is your responsibility to get the bike on a dyno to either verify that the air/fuel ratio is correct for the fuel map provided or to tune the bike to attain the correct air fuel ratio. It should be no leaner than 12.5:1 anywhere from 60% - 100%throttle position and 3000rpm- 11500rpm. If you chose to ingnore this step you are definately gambling with damage to the engine. I have had the turbo kit on my bike for over 2yrs, and I have customers who have had the kit for over a year now without issue.
If you have any other questions please feel free to email or call.
Thanks,
Walker Morgan
www.sales@mpfab.com
(205)-985-1953"

#46 ·

I must say that the work completed is unquestionably flawless. Long story short, new to the supermoto world, I own a "family owned" 93 XR650L that has been given a supermoto facelift, next step is a turbo. Will this turbo work for my trumper or what would be best in your opinion?

Great ride there. I'll post some pics up once my profile is updated.

#47 ·
I must say that the work completed is unquestionably flawless. Long story short, new to the supermoto world, I own a "family owned" 93 XR650L that has been given a supermoto facelift, next step is a turbo. Will this turbo work for my trumper or what would be best in your opinion?

Great ride there. I'll post some pics up once my profile is updated.
that turbo was selected for this specific application (wr250.) you should check outmpfab and see if they have something that would work for your bike.

#48 ·
turbo for XR650L

With the long weekend upon us I wanted to extend my thoughts out to those with experience (I also work a non-standard work week). I sent a request to MPFAB during the interim of this weekend to gain thier insight.

However fabrication wouldn't be the issue on my side. From your expertise, would this turbo set up provide ample support for a single cylinder 650? Or not enough punch?

Thanks again for the support, always open for any thought or suggestions.

#49 ·
With the long weekend upon us I wanted to extend my thoughts out to those with experience (I also work a non-standard work week). I sent a request to MPFAB during the interim of this weekend to gain thier insight.

However fabrication wouldn't be the issue on my side. From your expertise, would this turbo set up provide ample support for a single cylinder 650? Or not enough punch?

Thanks again for the support, always open for any thought or suggestions.

you need to have a more definite goal to determine what turbo will work in your application. The biggest issue for you will be the air cooled bike i think as the 650l runs into overheat issues with high compression and all the turbo will do is this. I will not say its not possible because i believe there are one or two people that did it on thumpertalk.

If all you want is to say you have a turbo on your bike sure itll work if you want max efficiency may not be the way to go. I am turboing my xr650r and am going to be using a gt15 which is a touch larger than the Mitsubishi that MPfab is using.

I think if your claiming the fab wont be the problem for you just choosing the correct one you may want to do a bit more research for this than going off what someone else says.

My suggestion is to check out the book "Maximum Boost" by Corkey Bell. its older for the world of turbos but its theory is correct, lots of good info for someone that is self proclaimed not incapable.

Goodluck
z

#51 ·
XR650L Turbo

Proz07, thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated. Claiming to merely have a turbo isn't the goal. By trade I don't practice the mechanics of turbo ops. After bending every pony out of the 644cc engine and re-gearing the bike it runs smooth but struggles to maintain acceleration to any upgrade. A fellow college mentioned installing a turbo versus boring the engine due to its air cooled operation so long as the appropriate sized turbo was selected. Also, thanks for the book recommendation as well.

Does anyone have any experience with Aerochargers and can provide the pros and cons of their system against the traditional turbo ops?

Again, advice, and criticism are always welcome as y'alls expertise is more than respected.

Ray J

#52 ·
sure the turbo can help however your issue will be compression and heat in the air cooled bike. you can add base gasket spacers to change the compression like if you were pinging however this will change your timing as your extending your cam chain length. Id opt to get a piston machined down for turbo use. into the 9-8.5 range especially for an air cooled bike. Another suggestion is to add a small intercooler as any cooling of fuel, oil, and air will only help that bike.

If you do go the turbo route which will most likely be about the same price as building a 680 or so plus the complexity i wouldn't do more than a few PSI in that motor or you'll end up destroying it on a regular basis. But if all your looking for is 65-70hp that will probably get you there and id probably use that sized Mitsubishi or gt12 turbo as it will do that HP and then some as well as keep your turbo lag minimum to none which will be your biggest complaint on a turbo vehicle and only multiplied on a bike as it will load and unload the suspension violently and most likely at the wrong time.

but if you do do it post a thread we all like reading others ventures into the unknown for certain bikes.

dont forget youll need to run a fuel pump and some rather ingenious mods to make the carb work with FI.

you caould benefit from reading this entire thread as this guy knows what hes talking about and does lots of low buck quality work to make the system quality rather than just through money at it not knowing why.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656921&highlight=turbo+install

z

#53 ·
ph and the aerochargers...... reviews say excellent turbo in compact size and don't need oil supply and drain as its self contained however everyone's big issue is price compared to the traditionals.

z

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.