SuperMoto Junkie banner

Brand new 0 Mile 2010 SM510 - Running like crap, any one have this issue?

20K views 130 replies 24 participants last post by  Silver TT 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 SM510 so when my friend said he wanted to get a bike also I bought a 2010 and sold him my 2008. The 2008 has the Arrow exhaust and full de-restriction done. From time to time the 2008 would back fire a bit on deceleration and would stall every once and a while but nothing that bothered me much at all.

This new 2010 I rode today, brand new bike, 0 miles, all it had done was the derestriction by the dealer which they called the "uncork". Just took off the throttle stops, charcoal canister, opened airbox and that is about it I think. It runs like crap. Has amazing power when it hits powerband but runs like crap every where else.

Starts up and idles ok (little bit jumpy from about 1800 to 2100) but then usually settles in pretty well. But it stalls on just about every stop light when coming down from high RPMs it just keeps dropping until it sort of hicups and dies out. Happens the most on throttle blip downshifts where it sounds like it bogs for a second I now have about 150 miles on it and its running even worse then when the first mile. The dealer where I purchased it is in MN and I'm in NY so I'm going to bring it in to a BMW / Husqvarna dealer in NJ and see if they can look at it.

Anyone else have this issue on a brand new SM? I'm not happy but hoping its just a tuning or A/F ratio thing at this point. Thanks for any advice.

See less See more
#96 ·
Hey. Mate, 2 weeks seems like a long time before they even started looking at it?? I take it it IS the pump? Just you said you thought it span up ok on a battery? Anyway, it's their problem now. If you're under warranty and they've had it lots already, can't see the warranty replacement should be even questioned. I'd be pissed though at having the bike sat around when the summer's approaching :rant:

The fuel pump assemblies seem pretty crap on a few levels, solders failing, pump slipping, non spares availability from Husky.

Re the tuning... Sadly the PCV and a custom map (or the autotune module - not really needed if you get a custom map done) will probably be the way to go. Unless you want to buy the ibeat kit and play tuning yourself.

Still sounding a bit doom and gloom but get the pump sorted, rack up some miles and the PCV and you'll be glad you stuck with it :coffee:

#97 ·
ohhh theres no question that im sticking with the bike, im just hoping they get this thing fixed up and ready to go before july comes around, im planning a good trip with it on my trailer and racking up some miles in the SC and NC area :) meet some SMJ members and have some fun time as my son is out of my house till august and i have like 2 weeks of leave racked up at work!

im just fixing up the car right now, so if they decide to charge me a crap ton of money, i may be SOL for my trip, car needs about 1500 bucks worth of parts alone, but i love my jetta ;) and with the hitch on it, and buying a small trailer, ill still be stacking up 25 - 30 mpg with a comfortable drive on the interstates.

and yeah, i thought the pump spun up as it heated up and vibrated just a little bit, i was wrong tho, they just did the same thing then me today, and came up with the pump being toast. so im glad i didn't break nothing, as they explained how they tested the pump, it was the same thing as i did....

and summer is around here all day since like april, dang Georgia heat is absolutely ridiculous sometimes.

the PCV and map ill have to look into, id like to get the parts online possibly so i dont have to let them mess even longer with my bike, and they dont have the electronics for the bike, so id rather go to someone that knows their shit, before i let them mess with my power commander. any input on who to go through for a custom map ? or fine tune it myself ? never done something like that!

#98 ·
All sounding good!

Real glad they confirmed the pump. You were pretty much there with that anyways.

Re the dyno/PCV, I don't know. Maybe post it up as a question and see if anyone in yor region knows of a reputable shop. I'd only say, if you like messing around with your laptop and doing your own fuel tweaks, buy the ibeat. If you want it set to ride it and don't plan on changing it, get a custom map - which you can also tweak if you want.

Either way, you've got some good fun on the horizon :thumbup:

#99 · (Edited)
well im hoping so,

i just got a call from a husqvarna corporate rep today, and its seems that heinens is not the best shop to buy bikes these days at all... he has had quiet a few ppl with warranty issues of bikes coming from them, he also stated that heinens should have done a proper complete checkup before the bike was shipped, which obviously didnt happen, they would have found out the bike is running like crap at that point. but that said, he told me that he would even go ahead and travel himself to champion honda in SC from his location (NC Charlotte area) and meet me there to do a complete setup of the electronics, and on top of that, he mentioned that he will take care of my issues i have and arrange as much possible help as i need :)

i mentioned that i wanted to get a pcv and he said to hold off until we might arrange a meeting with him at the dealer and get the thing on their husky specific programming computer which he would bring with him... thats good news for me, as it saves me a lot of money i can use on my car right now

all in all what i can tell so far, if you plan on buying a husqvarna SMR motorcycle, i would not recommend heinens for the purchase (non local) at all. They have done their best to talk around my issues that im having with the bike, a real dealership would have organized a way to get the bike to them and fixed the issues themselves. Next motorcycle purchase will be local, most likely even champion in SC! as they seem to know their stuff.

#100 ·
Yeah, you'll prob find it ends up in a blame game where the dealer blames the bike and manufacturer blames the shop and so on. I don't know the shop as in the UK so couldn't even comment. As long as you get it sorted then that's the main thing.

And bear in mind, these bikes are road going race bikes, they don't 'perform' outta the box. They're gutless and totally restricted to pass emissions etc. Also the motor will be real tight and up to the 1000 mile mark, will feel reluctant.

Tons of info here and on Cafehusky re mods derestriction and things to do, won't even begin on that one! :lol:

Get your pump sorted, get the bike tweaked as settling in on ibeat. Put as many miles as possible on it. Do your oil/filter/valves at 500miles and read in the Husky section for the rest :thumbup:

#101 ·
yeah the blame game is happening at the moment ... sadly that doesnt get my bike fixed you know...

im right now actually debating just stopping by husqvarna corporate on my trip from ft jackson to ft bragg next month (assumnig that the bike would be fixed by then) and have them go through the injection and electronics :)

also just bought some new levers, in hope they arrive before my trip :p

#108 ·
I must say I've been checking this thread quite often because I just bought a brand new 2010 450 from Heinens in Minnesota. But I have had absolutely no problems yet. I was also in the shop with them while they put it together and remapped it. After they uncorked it the bike ran like hell, wouldn't idle properly while they rode it over to the computer and would just die if you didn't give it gas. As soon as they remapped it, it idled perfectly and has never died on me once or come close while at a stop sign or light. Good luck on getting that beast fixed. You'll love it when it does. :thumbup:

#110 ·
Well, I can see where your coming from. I would be frustrated in that situation also. The pump was obviously the problem from the get go. Kinda hard to tune it, when the fuel pump is acting up. I agree, the tech should have investigated further into it, before sending it out the door. But you can only do so much with I-beat program. And like I said, they all run like shit in the beginning.

I hope for your sake, that the rep takes care of you sooner than later. It will all work out in the end I'm sure. Don't give up on the Husky just yet.:thumbup:

Good luck,

Gutzy

#112 ·
i've had the same issue since i took possession of my 510smr from heinens. it'll stall constantly when i close the throttle, roll on the throttle, and blip the throttle on downshilfts. i have yet to "uncork" and add a powercommander v + dyno map. this better be an easy fix so i don't have to go through youngstown when i make my trip up to heinens. :arsenal

#113 ·
You will be fine. Power up kit plus remap/PC and it'll run like a champ:thumbup:

#114 ·
just a heads up on my part of this whole thread,

i picked up the bike on tuesday from champion, they fixed the fuel pump via warranty, and i decided to pass on the whole dyno / setup part from husky themselves, i quiet frankly got tired of waiting it out, the bike was in the shop for 1 full month, and right now im still getting a bit of stalling and rough running issues every now and then, but not too bad.

ill be putting a single fmf slip on on the bike, and hopefully i find someone in the charleston area that has a ibeat and knows what they are doing, privately i mean with this, as i wont be putting the bike in the shop for anything again, unless something goes wrong and i need the warranty service again, knock on wood that it doesnt happen!

#116 ·
Gotta second that. Mine just ticked over 660 miles today. Did my second oil change a couple of days ago. I do have a PCV and autotune, so not completely stock. However, even with this stuff, the bike would stall out when it was new. It never dies now and just seems to run better.

#118 ·
well, as for now, at least my income got straightened out, so yay for that, i make twice the money a month now, and most likely will i be putting on some parts on the sm in the next 2 month, im going for a large drop in payment on the bikes financing arrangement first as id like to pay the bike off before the year is over ;) so i can buy another one, used older model ktm most likely, just to have both options, if i dont go for a newer car or what not.... long decisions ahead.

she stalled out on me twice today, but all in all its getting a little better with the time, maybe some more few hundred miles and a little tuneup down the road and i wont even need a pcv maybe ...

#119 ·
Bear with her, mine still stalled out when hot and coming off the throttle when she had less than 1500 miles on her. I have noticed that the tight valve tolerances let you know when the valves ar e a tad out of spec. Mine would stall when cold starting just once per start with the "choke knob" pulled. I adjusted the valves the other day and she starts ans runs fine now.

#124 ·
2010 510

I have read the whole thread sorry about the trouble you are having
I bought my bike from Heinens and I was from out of state paid for the power up kit and dealer prep They treated me great and were very nice people the service manager
was great and answered any of my questions
I am a motorcycle Tech a tuner/engine man
what i would recommend is get a inch pound torque wrench and a foot pound
torque wrench, down load the manual and every oil change check all your torque
settings ,torque all your bolts to spec. at my first oil change my cases weeped a little
i checked the torque on the bolts and they were a little loose tighten them down
just did my second oil change at 600 miles and everything dry.
AS far as your F/I the only way IMO is to have a wide band O2 air fuel gauge and read in real time what your air fuel ratio is doing and then adjust your ECU accordingly
I removed the cats from the stock mufflers and the end cap restrict or to let it breath more it sounds sweet but it leaned out my air fuel ratio,so i think for the sake of a super tune i will have to get a PC/V no auto tune, to fine tune everything, but i will probably wait till i get a few more miles like a 1000 be four i do that good luck if i can be of any help let me know.

#125 ·
I have read the whole thread sorry about the trouble you are having
I bought my bike from Heinens and I was from out of state paid for the power up kit and dealer prep They treated me great and were very nice people the service manager
was great and answered any of my questions
I am a motorcycle Tech a tuner/engine man
what i would recommend is get a inch pound torque wrench and a foot pound
torque wrench, down load the manual and every oil change check all your torque
settings ,torque all your bolts to spec. at my first oil change my cases weeped a little
i checked the torque on the bolts and they were a little loose tighten them down
just did my second oil change at 600 miles and everything dry.
AS far as your F/I the only way IMO is to have a wide band O2 air fuel gauge and read in real time what your air fuel ratio is doing and then adjust your ECU accordingly
I removed the cats from the stock mufflers and the end cap restrict or to let it breath more it sounds sweet but it leaned out my air fuel ratio,so i think for the sake of a super tune i will have to get a PC/V no auto tune, to fine tune everything, but i will probably wait till i get a few more miles like a 1000 be four i do that good luck if i can be of any help let me know.
yup, my next few investments have to go towards a new car ;( my jetta is not making it through the whole year without serious money put into it, so ima seek replacement, and im still looking around to see if someone near me has an ibeat cable and software, till then, im just going to ride her to add some more miles onto it, was real fun riding today, glad i got my bike back and happy that she only stalled once today xD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.