CRF450 Suspension Setup/Geometry

Thread: CRF450 Suspension Setup/Geometry

Default CRF450 Suspension Setup/Geometry

I have 07 CRF 450r

So I just got tried out my sm around our local kart track with my new RG3 revalved suspension. Springs are rated for my weight, getting about 100mm rider sag in the rear (as recommended by rg3). I also installed 20mm RG3 triple clamp. Front forks are flush with triples.

Overall, bike handles way better than stock trim, stable everywhere in the corner (entry, mid corner and exit). Even switch backs are hard to upset bike.

My only complaint is the slow turning. I rode my bros 09 crf 450 (stock suspension) and it turns like a 250! I was really surprised how well the bike transitioned as well.

I am going to lower the front of the bike 3-5mm. (RG3 tech seconded my suggestion).

Anyone have experience/thoughts on my setup change?

Thanks

Advertisement

Did you lower your bike at all (shorter springs)?
    04 crf450r (currently being parted out)

No I stuck with standard springs as per rg3 recommendation.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

I would lower the forks (shoving higher into triples) 5mm at a time and see how it feels. At some point, the bike will feel like it'll fall over in the turn...in that case you went too far.

I too have an '07 CRF 450R and I have a set of lowered SM forks by factory connection and they sit 12mm from the top of the tube (top of tube...not to top of cap).

Dingo

I think this is sort of useless to discuss how far the forks are up or down without knowing race sag numbers front and rear. Adjusting front ride height might be the right thing to do though. Are your head bearings in good shape and steering turns freely with no resistance?

How does the bike behave in a longer corners, wants to stand up/fall further or neutral?
    Last edited by dakh; 05-06-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    Dmitry

lowering will help that turn in, just dont go to far or the bike will start pushing the front tire.

ADingo8MyBaby

I would lower the forks (shoving higher into triples) 5mm at a time and see how it feels. At some point, the bike will feel like it'll fall over in the turn...in that case you went too far.

I too have an '07 CRF 450R and I have a set of lowered SM forks by factory connection and they sit 12mm from the top of the tube (top of tube...not to top of cap).

12mm sounds like alot but I presume they are working well for you. Do you have stock clamps?

dakh

I think this is sort of useless to discuss how far the forks are up or down without knowing race sag numbers front and rear. Adjusting front ride height might be the right thing to do though. Are your head bearings in good shape and steering turns freely with no resistance?

How does the bike behave in a longer corners, wants to stand up/fall further or neutral?

Sag is 100mm in rear. Probably ~85mm front.

Bearings are in good shape, not resistance at all.

Bike tracks well in long corners, it doesn't fall over or stand up. I can't really change lines during the corner like my bros 09 crf. I'm reasonably happy with how the bike behaves once I'm leaned over, its just getting their takes too much effort/time. Bike also tends to go wide once I get on the gas, but this is a much smaller issue compared to slow turn in.

I'm going to try 5mm and see where it takes me.

Dakh, you ride at pgp? I'm meaning to make my way down there, track is awesome!
    Last edited by Tito_gsx; 05-06-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_gsx View Post
    Sag is 100mm in rear. Probably ~85mm front.

Bearings are in good shape, not resistance at all.

Bike tracks well in long corners, it doesn't fall over or stand up. I can't really change lines during the corner like my bros 09 crf. I'm reasonably happy with how the bike behaves once I'm leaned over, its just getting their takes too much effort/time. Bike also tends to go wide once I get on the gas, but this is a much smaller issue compared to slow turn in.

I'm going to try 5mm and see where it takes me.

Dakh, you ride at pgp? I'm meaning to make my way down there, track is awesome!
    Yea I'm at PGP every opportunity I get. You can try my '05 450R to see how it turns in if you see me there (black bikes #210).

Is your rear tire wear looking Ok? Trying to see if there's too much rear squat coming off the corners and that's why it runs wide on exits. Might want to try cranking shock preload a bit and see if it improves both corner exit and turn-in. Also going a bit softer on fork compression to get the front lower on entry might help.

For the record my 450 happens to have around 75mm rear race sag and 55 front (I'm ~145lbs without gear) with 16mm triples and it turns awesome. I have around 5mm from the top of the top triple to the line on the fork.
    Last edited by dakh; 05-06-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    Dmitry

dakh,
    thanks for offering a ride, I think that would be useful comparison for me. We can swap rides and compare.

My tires are wearing very nicely, so don't know if there's too much rear squat.

Your sag #'s are significantly lower than mine, how did you get those numbers? What suspension are you running? I pretty much took rg3's recommendations and so far so good. I'm going to try to sneak out of work early to ride at our local kart track!

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_gsx View Post
    dakh,
    thanks for offering a ride, I think that would be useful comparison for me. We can swap rides and compare.

My tires are wearing very nicely, so don't know if there's too much rear squat.

Your sag #'s are significantly lower than mine, how did you get those numbers? What suspension are you running? I pretty much took rg3's recommendations and so far so good. I'm going to try to sneak out of work early to ride at our local kart track!
    My bike is rolling on revalved stock suspension and the sag is so low just 'cause I'm light, some people here recommended similar numbers also. So far I like it since my feeling is lower sag (stiffer springs) make the bike work better on pavement, esp. PGP that is so grippy. But I haven't yet tried putting the springs in that would get me to 100mm, only can compare to a suspension off a 250 that has ligher springs.
    Dmitry

Ride update: Bike feels awesome!! The turn in is much better and stability is still there. Bike falls into corners nicely and allows me to get on the gas much sooner. I cant wait to ride again.

Advertisement