SuperMoto Junkie banner

Husqvarna SM610

17K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Jesterse6 
#1 ·
While looking for BMW 650, I came across some XMOTO's in my area. I also found a couple of Husky's SM610 2008 for the same money. Can anyone give me any input or comparision. I was ready to start looking at the BMW's, but now I am wondering which one is the best choice. The KTM owners seem to think their bikes are made out of 'gold' and are priced accordingly. I own a KTM 520 SM but wanted a bigger bike.

Thanks,

Jaywillie

#3 ·
I picked up a 2008 SM610 from a Craigslist seller that had 3000 miles on it. It's now at 5000 miles, so I can say that I've got enough time on it to opine about how badass it is.

It's a great street supermoto with relaxed maintenance intervals (compared to the high strung Huskys). It feels significantly heavier and larger than a converted 450 MX bike, but that makes for a bike that is much more comfortable at freeway speeds compared to the smaller bikes. The more I ride it, the more I realize I won't be selling it anytime soon. The only major work that needs doing sometime soon is to replace the cam chain (at about 7000-8000 miles), but there is loads of info in the Husky forum about how to do that.

#4 ·
I'm interested in your thoughts on what you like and don't like between the 610 and your WR450F. Torn between the two and noticed you have both. I will do 70% pavement ridding. Power, handling and maintenance. Want something different which both are, but I'm afraid I will be spending too much time working on the Yamaha if it's my only bike.

#5 ·
My WR450F's engine has basically been converted to YZF-like. Tons of engine work, and it's fast as hell. But, it doesn't get ridden much because the Husqvarnas are so much more fun. I will probably be selling it sometime soon.

The 610 is just a bigger bike. Bigger displacement, bigger wheelbase, bigger weight. It makes a great urban commuter and gets quite a few looks at stoplights and brings lots of questions. I had a mechanic at a gas station I was filling up at recently just stare in awe. He said he rode a Husqvarna MX bike years ago and seeing a modern Husky with street tires and a license plate just blew his mind. He had to read all the manufacturers stickers because he couldn't believe it was actually a factory Husqvarna.

Anyway, long story short, my vote is for the Husky.

#6 ·
+1 for the Husky.

+ 40 more miles out of a tank
+ 50% less maintance intervals
+ for comments about riding a chainsaw
+ for comfort
+ for the black/ gay sexy 610s
- for 12% extra weight
- for 8% less power

depends on the miles you are putting on it/ how you ride. I'm more concerned with 150 mile loops and being beat down after a few hours than I am about 5 seconds at te track and having to carry gas in my backpack on long days.

Guess I'm old (30 next week) :D

#8 ·
I guess you're getting old and I'm getting younger (32 next month). I ride my Husky SMR450 on 200 mile loops every weekend. I also go through a crap ton of oil changes and maintenance but it's worth it to have the power and light weight. Just gear it down if you ride more highway. IMS makes a bigger tanks for them too.

I do love the black 610 -- sick looking. the red ones... not so awesome.

#10 ·
I own a '08 SM610 and love it. I also own a CRF450X, so I know the difference between the two. My Husky makes a perfect street-tard and has low down grunt while my Honda makes its power up high. The SM610 once sorted - (power up kit and pipe) runs well and is a blast to ride. I originally wanted a grey one, but my red, white, and black one has grown on me and I like that it reminds me of a dirt bike.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Im looking for a maintenance friendly street tard (capable of commuting, highways, track days and hooligan - an all around bike) and the 610 seems to fit the bill, as well as a ktm 625smc.
The vibrations on the 625 are supposed to be horrid though, how are they on the 610? Is this a good do-it-all bike like I seem to think?
Anyone ever change the front fender and headlight? Only thing I hate on the 610s.

#15 ·
My SM610 doesn't vibrate enough to be noticeable to me and it comes with rubber topped foot pegs. Its power is down low so you don’t have to rev the shit out of it to have fun, kind of like the Harley – low end grunt. They make kits for the front headlight and fender, but the look has grown on me. I have really enjoyed this bike and it’s the favorite of all four of my bikes.

#20 ·
Just rode mine around for 45 mins enjoying the 74* ferburary weather :D

awesome bike. Popped wheelies through campus, rode the powerlines, and wore out a few local twisites all in the same trip.

I need a brighter headlight, but that's the only thing I'd change. It's not a drag racer like a liter bike, but is just retarded Fun in the curves and my skill level is far from maxing the bike out too.

#22 ·
Ok I've done enough searching and my eyes are bout to pop out of my head. I have a 2007 husky sm610 and love it. My question is, I have a flashing oil light on and has been on for a few months. I've looked all over the bike and have changed the oil and still can't figure it out. I guess my question is where can I find a wiring diagram and a pressure switch location? Got a friend that is a mechanic bs is gonna look for the problem and said the two above things would help him out. If this is the wrong area to ask questions please point me in the right direction so I can get this issue fixed. Thanks

Also if anyone know right off and wants to text me a picture that would be very helpful too. Thanks
405-five9six-93two4

#23 ·
^ so your oil light came on. its in the service manual on how to reset the light, and change the intervals if you wanted + or -. eventually youll have a wrench appear as well, again it is just a reminder light that can be reset and the intervals changed.

if you cant find it PM me and ill look it up and email you the link i found.

#24 ·
Yes thanks. I've looked in the service book and I have heard about re-setting it but unfortunately I'm pretty stupid I guess cause I can't find it. I'll look again when I get home this evening and if I can't find it I'll pm you. Thanks for your help tho

And I haven't seen the wrech light yet so that is why I've still been tooling around town on it around town. But I'll keep my eyes open for it and will search the book this evening

Thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.