SuperMoto Junkie banner

KTM 690 SMC Fuel Pump

19K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  yuu 
#1 ·
I've got a '09 690 SMC with a strange problem. I had the dreaded fuel pump problem, and eventually got the "Code 41" and the bike wouldn't run. I installed a new pump/filter assembly, and the bike has been running perfectly ever since. But I still had the FI light blinking at me (or solid when riding).

I finally got my TuneECU cable and got connected, then cleared the codes on the ECU. Unfortunately, the same codes keep coming back, as does the blinking FI light. The blinking code is still "41", while the codes in TuneECU are P1231 and P1232 (both indicating a short to the battery for the fuel pump).

One thing I did notice is that when I turn the key on (even without starting the bike) is that the fuel pump just runs continously. I thought it was just supposed to prime for a second or two, then turn off until the engine was started.

Any ideas on what to check. Is there a fuel pump relay? Thanks for any tips!
-Dan

#4 ·
Thanks for the ideas and information. Knowing it should only click on for a few seconds definitely confirms that there's an actual problem. I didn't pull out the regulator when I changed out the pump. It's definitely worth checking out. Thanks again for the help.
-Dan

#5 ·
ECU blown?

I thought I'd post a quick update on how things are going with my bike. I looked in to replacing the pressure regulator, but as it turns out, the regulator doesn't do anything with the electrical signal for the fuel pump. When the pump is on, it just regulates the pressure going to the fuel injector by bleeding off any excess back to the tank.

What I found as the problem is kind of disturbing to me. The fuel pump gets 12V from the power relay, and is grounded through the ECU. There are no switches or relays between the pump and ECU. I ended up finding a good deal on a used ECU, and after swapping that in, the problem is completely gone.

This disturbs me because this probably means the circuit that grounds the in my original ECU is no longer functioning (but at least it defaulted to a closed circuit). I thought about adding another relay that would protect the ECU from a fuel pump that might stall, but then thought I'd measure the current drawn by the pump. Turns out, the current is under 2.5 amps.

My solution for the moment is going to be to replace the 10A fuse for the fuel pump with a 5A fuse instead. Hopefully if I ever have a pump problem in the future, the fuse will blow before the ECU does.

Just wanted to pass along the info in case anyone else had a similar problem with the Code 41. I've been considering opening up the original ECU to see if I can replace the component and use it as a spare. But I always hate clearing all the potting compound off. And technically it works as a spare right now (just with a code flashing on the dash).
-Dan

#7 ·
Kind of. In most automotive cases, the ECU grounds the fuel pump relay rather than the pump directly. Of course, the new cars with a returnless fuel system are all together different.

I mostly wanted to make other members aware that in the case of a fuel pump stalling, the ECU could have issues.
-Dan

#8 ·
Kind of. In most automotive cases, the ECU grounds the fuel pump relay rather than the pump directly. Of course, the new cars with a returnless fuel system are all together different.
This is what I was referring to. Every Honda/Acura vehicle currently produced is this way, so to someone like me it's not that uncommon. Returnless systems are now the norm also.

#9 ·
Ya, what's crazy is that my wife's F650GS twin uses a pulse-width controlled returnless system for the fuel pump. Of course, the fuel pump/system on those bikes isn't any better than the KTM 690's. Strange having two adventure bikes, both with potential to leave you stranded from fuel pump problems. :rolleyes2:
-Dan

#10 ·
This seemed like the best thread to post this in.
I bought my '09 690 SMC in the beginning of July.
Had stalled and would not restart for about 15 min a few times when hot. No error codes.
I replaced the fuel pump with the ca cycleworks pump and Napa in tank filter.
A month after the replacement, the ca cycleworks pump died. Fl error code 41.
The pump shows totally open between the power terminals when removed from the bike.
Contacted ca cycleworks and they are sending me a new one! :) Good customer support!
I hope I can get this bike running reliably - I love it when it's running, but getting a bit frustrated with being stranded. :rolleyes2:

#12 ·
I think you're correct. Looking at the parts fiche I'm seeing two ECU's. One is 75041032000, TIMING CHARGER EPT 07. The other is 75041031000, TIMING CHARGER EFI 07. The first one is the smaller of the two. The second is larger. Unfortunately I don't remember which one ended up being the problem when my fuel pump circuit failed. I suppose you can follow the wiring from the fuel pump back and see where the ground for the pump goes.
-Dan

#15 ·
So what is the "dreaded fuel pump problem"? That wording makes it sound like this is a common issue.

My 690 has been about as reliable as an anvil until now (37K miles) but recently the fuel pump died and now I'm having this issue with it dying and throwing the P1231/32 codes. It starts fine after shutting off the key and turning back on. I also wonder if riding it this way is likely to damage my fuel pump...?

#16 ·
Can't speak to the codes.

But a good bit of the troubles seem tied into the fuel filter issue - at least IMO. The issue being that the filters clogged up very very early and badly. With a clogged filter, the pump has to work harder, gets hotter etc etc and thus it's life is reduced. At 4k miles, my filter looked more like a capsule of coffee grounds.

So, have you checked the filter and cleaned the injector?

#17 ·
Isn't the fuel filter part of the fuel pump assembly? If that's the case, wouldn't it have been replaced when I got a new fuel pump?

#18 ·
Nope. There's a few inches of hose between the pump assembly and the filter. The pump does have a pick-up screen that's part of it. But that's just for 'large' objects. The filter i'm speaking of is in-line in the line from the pump to injector and is for small sized dirty suspended in the fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.