2004 Husqvarna TE 450 Supermotard Build
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Husqvarna TE 450 Supermotard Build

Cool 2004 Husqvarna TE 450 Supermotard Build

Hey everybody, I'm brand new to the forum thought I'd share my first supermoto build.

Picked up a husky for five hundred bones so thought I should go all out on the conversion (within sensable reason) Heres a couple early pics. I'll be using excel wheels with talon hubs from motostrano and the ebc brake rotor kit. Somehow I decided I needed $200 worth of Rizoma turn signals when I realized they weren't sold in pairs Close to half the cost of the bike but they're freakin awesome!! lol Now just have to try to figure out the flasher wiring. Found a handlebar switch on motostrano that had everything I needed and a Trail Tech Vapor to go on the tree. Using pressure switch banjo bolts for the brakelight. Going to drop 8 teeth in the rear sprocket and run a 42.

Question for TE450 Husky owners ...... Will a 5' rim clear the chain with a 160 on the rear? Or should I go for the 4.25?

More to come once some more parts show up

By the way, I went ahead and ordered a leather suite as well
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advertisement
    Items for Sale

Nice score! If you didn't already order the wheels there is a set in the classifieds. The 5" fits easily. Get an exhaust it really helps out. Also I didn't really like the look of my 04 so I bought seat tank plastics from a06 they fit without modification. Good luck. I'm looking for a set of dirt wheels if you want to sell yours let me know.
    Last edited by juicehall; 10-21-2011 at 06:20 PM.

I saw the classifieds but I'm pretty picky about wheels. I really want to start off with a fresh set. As for my dirt wheels, I need to keep them, its too much fun to let them go. If you can see my exhaust, I performed a conservative bafflectomy shortening operation so I'm hoping I can get by with that for a little while. Do you have any problems with your titanium valves? I am considering doing the stainless conversion with stronger springs this winter to make it more dependable and easier to start.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

It took a coil and a new spark plug to get it going in the dirt, and a few nuts and bolts... and a carb rebuild/cleanout
    Attached Images Attached Images

Items for Sale

Valves don't need much attention on the huskies. Check them often because you should and it's easy. You will hardly ever have to shim them. Bike looks great!

Thought the pressure switch might melt if I put it on the master....

Last edited by Rexchop; 10-24-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Already stocked up on rubber from my buddies!

Last edited by Rexchop; 10-24-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Nice find man! I think its awesome to pick up a cheap beat up bike completely redo it from top to bottom and make it somthing awesome! By the way bike looks freaking awesome nice work Definately looking forward to see how the build progresses!

Thanks, I'm just waiting on one backordered turn signal to get it registered. The wheels should show up next week along with my leathers and it's game on!! I guess I'd better start working on some kind of kickstand soon....

Im looking forward to see how this build will go , always loved to buy beat up bikes then work on them.

My $8 kickstand attempt... Just have to do something a little different for the spring setup and add a sink plate on the end. I couldn't see spending over $100 on a kickstand!

Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Rexchop View Post
    It took a coil and a new spark plug to get it going in the dirt, and a few nuts and bolts... and a carb rebuild/cleanout
    Wow!! That is beautiful. I love the old blue and yellow. If you haven't ordered wheels already you Shoukd find a used set off a smr, and a set of forks and jyst use the stock brembo radial setup.
    2006 husqvarna 530rr. AKA "dirtyfivethirty" or "freight train " Formerly known as Alohar1

www.FastBikeIndustries.com www.ksrwheels.comwww.balidogrefuge.com

Finally got some parts! Too bad the husky specific sprocket does not fit the talon hub. What sprocket do I need?

Nevermind on the sprocket deal, they just gave me the wrong one.

Items for Sale

If memory serves I had a hwd issue with my front rotor. Stock hwd wouldn't work. Used some other husky bolts and used loctite. Then one backed out while I was riding. Causing bad shit to go down. After a new rotor I used long bolts all the way threw the hub, nut on back and safety wired. Lol over kill but it was random that mybrotor bolts came loose. The wheels were a week old. Jyst keep an eye on it. I have no idea why husqvarna chooses to only use 4 bolts to hold on something that gets that amount of pressure.
    2006 husqvarna 530rr. AKA "dirtyfivethirty" or "freight train " Formerly known as Alohar1

Ouch! I'll use that idea about longer bolts and metal locknuts on the back with threadlock.

Items for Sale

btw i cant wait to see your bike finished!! im a huge fan of the old school huskys!

Items for Sale

btw this is a shot in the dark here... by the looks of your garage your in the military... and by looking at the valve stem caps (yellow ones) im guessing your in aviation. they look exactly like the aircraft tire valve caps

I'm not in the service yet, it's very possible in the future (I'm 23) but I do work in aviation. I got the bike off a buddy at work that had it overseas, where the valve stem caps came from.

Here's some eye candy for ya!!

Just waiting on rotors and some wide rim bands to mount the tires. Started the title process yesterday.

Items for Sale

Nice job!! Keep up the good work

I finally have the wheels back from the shop with no luck on rotors, maybe they'll figure it out this time and order the right ones. But here's some pics... I just threw on the dirt rotors just so I can tool around a little. Hopefully I will get the title this week in the mail so I can get a tag soon.

Man those wheels look sweet on there Here's a pic of mine, it was stock when I traded for it.

I picked up a FBF full exhaust which woke it up a good bit.

Yea, 5" with a 150 and 3.5" with a 110 on the front. I have enough clearance to do a 120 in the front and a 160 rear.

Next time around on tires, do the 160 rear with that 5". Better selection to choose from too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexchop View Post
    Yea, 5" with a 150 and 3.5" with a 110 on the front. I have enough clearance to do a 120 in the front and a 160 rear.
    Throw the 120 and 160 on there and you'll realization how much you're handicapping yourself with the improper sizes.. even just riding on the street

Yea, I'll try it for sure, I just got a couple sets of these off my buddy for $100, couldn't pass it up. Should I try pilot race again or go for a supermoto tire setup?

Looks like the bike was a steal man! the turn signals definitely were not though...
    Fast is smooth. Smooth is Fast.

Tried it out for a little while and switched back to dirt until I get my hands on some rotors that fit. Still works good in the mud... Have to get my new meat claws mounted tomorrow to really dig deep.

on your rear pressure switch guide the wire under the subframe were it mounts into that frame bracket and out through the top against the frame and presto no wire melting worries. you have a ton of space between that subframe bar and the mounting area on the frame

i see your having trouble with your rotors. i was in the same boat just with the front the bolts that they sent were no were near the right bolts for my rotor. best bet is to take it to a place that builds wheels "dubyausa.com" which i did their going to machine my rotor/bolts to fit exact. these people are the main importers/builders "they have a shit ton of talon sprockets btw" for talon excel here in california and were actually building some dope ass wheels for the hart and huntington supercross bikes when i came in. very clean shop and very nice helpfull people id suggest giving them a call at 1714 279 0200 . they took care of me in a heartbeat and actually were concerned in the difference in bolts that i recieved from talon. even with supercross going on and will have it ready for me in the morning before 12

Back on the build, have a set of moto master rotors on the way to see how they fit up, 320mm front. Hopefully they'll be in next week. Deals gap trip coming up soon so I can finally try it out for real.

Rotors came in the other day and once again, the rear rotor is too large in diameter to roll in the caliper and the front caliper bracket is just wrong. But the front rotor fits great.

If your front caliper isn't lining up, chances are the bracket was made to relocate the caliper to use with an OEM 320 brake rotor. They are offset outwards about 3.5mm.

Ypu need a rear rotor from a 2005 and older. They are slightly smaller in diameter. I think I have one if you need it? I also have a front brembo SM brake setup. From an older Husky with 45mm forks like yours.

Looks like we are both having troubles. I just did my compression check and its not looking good. tearing engine down now. going to need more work than I thought. Hopefully we are both done the rally.

Awesome build there, I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing but with an 04 450SMR, I'm putting a 510 engine in mine and doing the 06 plastic swap can't wait to finish it!
    sold- 2005 KTM 450EXC street and track tard
    sold- 2007 Honda CBR600 road bike
    sold- 2006 Husqvarna SMR510 race tard
    sold- 2005 Suzuki GSXR750 track bike
    current- 2008 Yamaha yz450f race tard

Dang, that would be sweet! So are you going to do an oversize tank? If so I guess we just get one for an 06 husky so the plastics match up? I want to swap to 06 plastics as well and do all black. I've been looking at tanks on halls husqvarna in Springfield IL and they have a few to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    If your front caliper isn't lining up, chances are the bracket was made to relocate the caliper to use with an OEM 320 brake rotor. They are offset outwards about 3.5mm.

Ypu need a rear rotor from a 2005 and older. They are slightly smaller in diameter. I think I have one if you need it? I also have a front brembo SM brake setup. From an older Husky with 45mm forks like yours.

The guys at motostrano said they had another rotor to send me that is smaller for the older models and a different caliper bracket. I'll let you know though, I might be interested if this does not work out.

I just saw in another thread of yours that we just have to swap our tank and seat to the 06 version and the plastics will work, thanks.

Yeah mate that's correct seat plastics and they all fit I'm finding it hard to find a seat and tank in Australia at the moment going to look around at wrecking yards this week
    sold- 2005 KTM 450EXC street and track tard
    sold- 2007 Honda CBR600 road bike
    sold- 2006 Husqvarna SMR510 race tard
    sold- 2005 Suzuki GSXR750 track bike
    current- 2008 Yamaha yz450f race tard

What do you guys do about a 120 rubbing the inside of your forks? And I have a 5" rear and it is tight with a 150. I put my buddy's 4.25 and 160 on and it clears better than mine.

the brand and model tire can be an attributing factor to your problem just because it sais the size doesnt mean its the same as another companys or model tire there have been a couple threads regarding this so check around and maybe by switching tires your problem may be solved

Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast