SuperMoto Junkie banner

New Owner CR500

25K views 72 replies 16 participants last post by  FrickenMotarded 
#1 ·
Hey!! Bought me a 1998 CR500 for 1800.00 today:bringiton. Pretty excited! Want this bike to convert to track only supermoto. I have been doing alot of reading and there is mixed feelings about it and from what I gather is that the CR500 is at home on the track with the thumpers, just not going to have the fastest lap times. The last 2 stroke I owned was a 2001 YZ 125. So I know I am about to get my cherry popped by this bad ass 2 stroke monster. Please EVERYONE, give me links for ANY INFO, PARTS, ETC. I have already joined up with two CR500 forums to get the latest gouge. I have been reading about the AF modifications that can be done to these in order to make them even better than they already are. At this point in time I want to get the essentials on there first, wheels, tires, brakes, chain guide, etc. Again any info on these parts and where to find would be steller. Thanks Again!

Tyler

Some pics of my new whip::thumbup:

Thanks for looking!:anim_peep:

See less See more
#37 ·
project is well under way......

1. Frame, sub-frame, triple clamp-----all painted
2. Suspension ----- completely refurbished with re-valving, new springs, all tuned for my body weight and skill level by fastmann performance
3. Motor ---- (top end) Before rebuild, performed compression check which was borderline spec, decided to tear down, one of the retaining clips for the wrist pin came loose, blew out exhaust (nothing in bottom of motor) wrist pin wore into sleeve, to the point that 2MM overbore could not take it out, currently being re-sleeved and set up loose bore for wiseco piston. Porting is being done as well.

(Bottom End) While motor was tore down, decided to see if crank/connecting rod were within spec, guess what they were over maximum tolerance, so bottom end is in pieces waiting on new bearings, seals and crank....trued and ready to rock with new connecting rod.

All other bits and pieces are coming along as the $$$$ comes in.

#40 ·
It has come time to choose wheel sizes, color and brand. So obviously I need the junkies opinions::thumbup:

My opinions so far:

Brand
Rim- Excel
Hub- RAD HEX

Color
Rim- Gold or Black....What you all think about black front, gold rear?
Hub-Red

Sizes
Front Wheel- 16.5x3.5 or 17x3.5
Rear Wheel- 17x4.25 or 17x4.5

To help you all make a decision, I have purchased these brakes from Motosoal:

Also Rear sprocket is made by PIMP Sprockets and it is Gold as well.

All opinions very much welcome:bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana:

#47 ·
This is the shade of gold I think I would end up with:

I love that gold.:thumbup:

I would like to get my forks anodized that same gold.

#42 ·
Based on the gold front brake set up, I would use a gold front rim/black hub(17x3.5). For the rear, black rim/gold hub(17x4.5). I would use the 4.5" rear rim because it will work well with both a 150 and 160 rear tire.

#44 ·
Are you using the stock swingarm? Space is pretty limited with it. Mine is a 97', stock frame/swingarm. Based on measurements, I think a 4.25" rim is all you can fit.

#54 ·
Well my order has been placed, this is what i decided to go with:

Front-17/3.5 Excel Gold w/RAD Eagle lightweight series Hub Black w/ black nipples:pimp:
Rear- 17/4.25 Excel Gold w/RAD Eagle lightweight series Hub Black w/ black nipples:hitit:

Chain- DID 520 VT2 Gold Narrow X'Ring
Sprockets- PIMP Sprockets 38 tooth Rear, PBI Countershaft 15 tooth Front

Brakes- Beringer 6 piston Caliper, XRA GOLD
310mm Rotor
BRO12 master cylinder
Clutch pull lever
Semi-Race Pads
Race Pads
SS Line from Beringer

#55 ·
well i need some advice....i am knee deep in the bottom end of this motor and i am trying to decide whether or not I should replace ALL the bearings in the motor...I am replacing ALL the oil seals because that is a no brainer, however the bearings are a different story i think because of the their noted HONDA durability....so far, bearing wise, i have replaced the crank bearings, as i am installing a all new crank assembly in the bottom end.

I only know of one test for this type of bearings, basically feeling the smoothness of the bearing rolling in the channel and making sure there is no side to side, up and down play. Cant inspect visually, etc. Most of the bearings, even the new ones i installed, had their "hiccups" when I would move them around, however as soon as I added a drop of tranny fluid to them they are ALL smooth as butter.

Should i just drop the 100+ dollars and take the time to install them or should I roll with what I have changed and call it a day?:hmmm: Bike is a 1998 and NEVER been tore down before me.

#56 ·
Bearings

You spend 3 1/2 k on wheels and brakes and you want to skimp on a $100 set of bearings. If only for peace of mine get new bearings. Don't use oem gaskets, the after market ones are ok and alot cheaper. If you say it hasnt done much hours dont buy a new crank, put a new rod kit in and get it balanced. Save the money from the crank and gaskets to get a port job. CR500 motors are reliable you wont be splitting crank cases for a while. Check the kick starter bearings, and shaft they break the housing when there worn.

#60 ·
bearings

Don't mean to be abupt or arrogant, take the cases to some body with a press who knows what there doing. Its far safer, sometimes a little heat makes it easier to get them out. The seal you want to replace is the crank seal, crank pressure is very important on a 2t.
Check fork shifters to see if there bent, there the only thing that can go wrong with the trans and it is caused by shifting to hard.

#62 ·
Don't mean to be abupt or arrogant, take the cases to some body with a press who knows what there doing. Its far safer, sometimes a little heat makes it easier to get them out. The seal you want to replace is the crank seal, crank pressure is very important on a 2t.
Check fork shifters to see if there bent, there the only thing that can go wrong with the trans and it is caused by shifting to hard.
too late all done, got every bearing out without a hitch...i have a press, and the only thing i could not remove was the 2 little roller bearings that are located here:

However, I think these are fine, the wear seems to minimal and they do not have stress on them ALL the time.

How do you see if the rods are bent, just by the naked eye, straight edge, etc?

Thanks for all your input....better then talking to myself..:thumbup:

#61 ·
porting

Send it to get ported by someone who knows what there doing. There are two types of porting your looking for, Mo Better porting is where they clean up the ports which gives a little more rev and a smooth power delivery.
The other is where they port for a longer exhaust duration, this takes the hit out when it comes on the pipe and gives it a linear power delivery. To really take advantage of the porting you need to raise the exhaust ports and skim the head. I would get the crank balanced as it revs hard. Find someone who knows what there doing.
Good luck with the build, I hope you enjoy it once its finished.

#64 ·
I have been extremely bizy with the bike.....you all will hopefully be pleased with the end result. It is all put back together, just waiting for the tires that will be on the wheels, they will be installed tomorrow. So look for the completed project pics tom evening/night. Sorry guys for not updated with step by step pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.