SuperMoto Junkie banner

My New Husky AND My TERRIBLE Luck

83K views 298 replies 45 participants last post by  Op_Engineer 
#1 ·
So after all of your advice and insight I went out made my purchase of a 2008 SMR 510. I drove all the way down to Sacramento (500 miles) to get a bike that looked super clean and had semi-low miles (2,000). :bannana:

Here she is:

So I get back to my house on Sunday and I just had to take this thing out. Fire it up, let it warm up for a couple minutes, cruise through two miles of twisties and then hit a straight section….this is where I decided to open it up and see how fast it would climb through the gears compared to my Dizzer. I got it into 6th and started winding it up….80...85….90…93 BANG!!!! Rear tire locked up at 93 mph. I should have pulled in the clutch but I was white knuckled on the bars trying to control my skid. :headshake

At this point I had travelled a whopping 2.8 miles on my new ride (not counting the 5 mile test ride in California) and have just destroyed the transmission (so I thought). :damn:

I pushed the bike all the way back to my house and immediately drop the oil expecting some large shards of metal and some gear teeth. I didn’t get much of anything on the drain plug. So I ran a magnet through the oil and ended up with a good amount of fine metal particulate but nothing that says “your F’d”. Then I pulled the metal screens and they had a couple larger flakes but still nothing totally conclusive:

So then I got real excited and was hoping it was just a top end thing (crash into valves, etc…) so I pulled the spark plug and it looked perfect:rolleyes2::

As I’m staring at the plug my eyes drift to the bike which is still slowly trickling oil into a drain pan that is about it overflow. I recall these things only take about 1.5 quarts and the pan has at least 3-4 quarts and then THE SITUATION HITS ME IN THE FACE!:boxing:

I am willing to bet my connecting rod snapped off at the wrist pin and drove itself through the cylinder wall allowing all of the coolant to fill my case. I will try to pull the engine tomorrow and verify but in the meantime I NEED YOUR HELP. I have never owned a husky or a KTM or a Husaberg or anything that is not Japanese so any pointers would be fantastic. Last night I was searching the internet to find the cost of a cylinder, or top end kit, or tranny gears, or crank, or connecting rods, etc…….. I CANT FIND ANYTHING!!! Where do you guys buy parts? I was led to believe that parts for Husky’s were not too difficult to find…WTF? :headscrat

Anyway, I’m going to be asking a lot of questions and I hope that you guys can get me back on the streets as soon as possible. Thanks in advance for the support.

See less See more
#8 ·
As I’m staring at the plug my eyes drift to the bike which is still slowly trickling oil into a drain pan that is about it overflow. I recall these things only take about 1.5 quarts and the pan has at least 3-4 quarts and then THE SITUATION HITS ME IN THE FACE!:boxing:
Let the oil sit overnight (if you haven't dumped it yet) and see if it separates. It's also possible that the guy you bought it from put 3qt of oil into the case and something bad happened. I'm not sure how that would blow the motor but... worth investigating. Either way you need to know what that amount of liquid is comprised of.

Look at it this way, this might make you feel better: you got a used bike that was either mistreated and ready to blow or it was a freak incident out of the blue. This kind of stuff happens to all manufacturers and in no way is related to being a non-jap bike. Husky and KTM bikes are actually, IMO, far easier to work on compared to japanese bikes and the dealers/parts-guys are more helpful and knowledgeable (again, in my experience) than the alternative japanese options.

Whatever happened it will get fixed and all that is required is a call to one of the dealers mentioned above. Once you know what is wrong and what caused the failure you should probably give the seller a call and see if he can help with a "grant" of $500 or 50% of the parts required, as that is sort of the ethical thing to do when you sell someone a bike that detonates in the first week.

Here are some dealers in OR:

Bend Euro Moto
1064 SE Paiute Way #1 Bend, OR 97702

Bill's Motorcycles Plus Husqvarna/Cobra
1126 12th St Se Salem, OR 97302

#10 ·
Do not fret, like everyone said, you can get some help here. If you'd like help rebuilding it, I could rebuild it for you and Juicehall can hook you up with parts :thumbup: You'll have to ship the engine to UT, but its just another option for you to look into.

Otherwise I'll be happy to offer any knowledge/advice!

Definitely check with the previous owner as Shotgun suggested. It sucks for him, but the right thing to do is help rectify the situation. He's also right that Huskies are easy to work on!

#11 ·
Jeff lives near you! Have him rebuild it for you. He knows huskies in and out.
Sorry for your luck. This is a prime example of why I completely go threw a bike when I buy it. Every fluid gets changed oil, brake, coolant. Grease all bearings, steering, linkage, swingarm bolts. Check the valves. It's worth the time to do these things. You will be surprised how neglected 95% of bikes are.

#12 ·
:nutkick:Way to pay attention Stevo :lol: He's in Oregon. But I can rebuild it for him so all he has to do is ship the engine to UT and back comes a fresh one.

#13 ·
2000 miles seems real low for the bike to go KA-BOOM.
As was stated above, send the engine to any of the mentioned members and let them tear it apart and rebuild it for you (Id suggest JR as I've seen some stuff he's done and they all look good). As long as the cases or the head havent been damaged, it shouldnt cost you an arm and a leg.
Good luck!

#16 ·
Thanks for all the support guys. I will definitely be asking for more as I progress.

I appreciate the offers to rebuild the engine but I don’t think that I have the money to have someone else do it. I’m barely going to be able to replace all the parts as is. I have rebuilt a number of smokers (just did my snowmobile last summer) but only 1 four stroke (blown tranny in buddy’s Raptor). This shouldn’t be too difficult with your help.

Oil was changed and valves were checked only 300 miles ago by a husky dealer. Previous owner gave me all the reciepts. This was more than likely just a freak accident that I gotta deal with cuz I wanna ride!

I sent this thread too the guy I bought it from and he just gave me a call. He is going to send me a couple hundred bucks. Thumbs up to you Dennis. :thumbup: This is above and beyond what I would expect from someone and I appreciate it. Thanks

#17 ·
Glad to hear the seller is being cool - Good on ya Mr Seller Man

Sidebar, I am the only one who reads this thread and hears the voice of Cleveland Brown when he says "Turrable" ?

#25 ·
This is turrable, turrable news.. :headshake

That's the reason I didn't get a husky. I wanted one so badly but couldn't do it cause the local dealer went out. Good luck and I hope you find your parts.
That's no reason to shy away. Half of the guys on here order their parts from several states away! Many learned to wrench on their own stuff as well because of it.

Except for JR!! He frequents the gay bar and nothings tight about him if you follow. He is a  haha
Only when you're there Sugar Tits :laughingr Oh and quit using your iphone emoticons! No one can read them from a computer or normal phone :nutkick: All we see is two squares where I'm sure there was a great insult hiding :lol:

Romanousky, When are you gonna tear into it? Let us know so we can help you along!

#18 ·
That is cool of the seller. Guess there is an upside.. Way to buy a husqvarna and really get involved!!! You will know your bike in and out. No really

Like stated we are all really good friends here and we are here to help. Welcome to the family

#21 ·
That sucks to hear what happened to your new to you, baby.:headshake But like stated above, the husky family is tight, and your in the right hands.:thumbup:

#26 ·
Okay....the radiators are bone dry and the oil/water mix in the drain pan has separated. There is no doubt that the cases were filled with radiator fluid at the moment of catastrophic failure.

As far as the previous owner....I already bugged him with a hundred questions prior to purchase. The dealer did the work and he had receipts to prove it. I'm not a newb when it comes to buying toys. Having that said, it's a moot point anyway. I gotta get this thing back on the road.

Tomorrow I will have the motor out of the bike and I'll post some pics.

#30 ·
I don't think there is a master link on the timing chain. I think you need to pull the flywheel, remove the lower timing sprocket from the crank and that frees up the timing chain to remove the head. I can't seem to find a rebuild thread for the 450/510 but I know there are a few on here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.