SuperMoto Junkie banner

My New Husky AND My TERRIBLE Luck

83K views 298 replies 45 participants last post by  Op_Engineer 
#1 ·
So after all of your advice and insight I went out made my purchase of a 2008 SMR 510. I drove all the way down to Sacramento (500 miles) to get a bike that looked super clean and had semi-low miles (2,000). :bannana:

Here she is:

So I get back to my house on Sunday and I just had to take this thing out. Fire it up, let it warm up for a couple minutes, cruise through two miles of twisties and then hit a straight section….this is where I decided to open it up and see how fast it would climb through the gears compared to my Dizzer. I got it into 6th and started winding it up….80...85….90…93 BANG!!!! Rear tire locked up at 93 mph. I should have pulled in the clutch but I was white knuckled on the bars trying to control my skid. :headshake

At this point I had travelled a whopping 2.8 miles on my new ride (not counting the 5 mile test ride in California) and have just destroyed the transmission (so I thought). :damn:

I pushed the bike all the way back to my house and immediately drop the oil expecting some large shards of metal and some gear teeth. I didn’t get much of anything on the drain plug. So I ran a magnet through the oil and ended up with a good amount of fine metal particulate but nothing that says “your F’d”. Then I pulled the metal screens and they had a couple larger flakes but still nothing totally conclusive:

So then I got real excited and was hoping it was just a top end thing (crash into valves, etc…) so I pulled the spark plug and it looked perfect:rolleyes2::

As I’m staring at the plug my eyes drift to the bike which is still slowly trickling oil into a drain pan that is about it overflow. I recall these things only take about 1.5 quarts and the pan has at least 3-4 quarts and then THE SITUATION HITS ME IN THE FACE!:boxing:

I am willing to bet my connecting rod snapped off at the wrist pin and drove itself through the cylinder wall allowing all of the coolant to fill my case. I will try to pull the engine tomorrow and verify but in the meantime I NEED YOUR HELP. I have never owned a husky or a KTM or a Husaberg or anything that is not Japanese so any pointers would be fantastic. Last night I was searching the internet to find the cost of a cylinder, or top end kit, or tranny gears, or crank, or connecting rods, etc…….. I CANT FIND ANYTHING!!! Where do you guys buy parts? I was led to believe that parts for Husky’s were not too difficult to find…WTF? :headscrat

Anyway, I’m going to be asking a lot of questions and I hope that you guys can get me back on the streets as soon as possible. Thanks in advance for the support.

See less See more
#273 ·
Thanks Dude! It's been a long time coming.....damn Husky parts:anim_peep:

So I ran to the bike shop to get a battery for her (mine was dead and I had to use one of my other bikes' batteries). They had the Shorai batteries in stock and I remembered hearing good things from this forum so I figured I'd give it a shot.

And I got a master clip, can't wait to get off of work!

#275 · (Edited)
Safety wire is an interesting idea. Never heard of it but I may give that a shot next time.

Well, I guess I did bleed the clutch correctly because it works fine. That MME clutch handle is crazy! It is super easy to pull, 2 finger clutch is easy and I got me some small hands:lol: The only thing I don't like is that all of the engagement/disengagement occurs at the end of the lever pull.

So this thing is making some pretty awesome power compared to my short amount of riding at the get go. Power wheelie 3rd gear no problem. 4th gear lifts the tire if I jerk on it but won't come up readily. Clutch up 4th for sure. I can't get 5th, but you gotta understand I am not good at clutching wheelies....just sayin

Power on this thing is eradic. Not smooth delivery. It's really just in the bottom RPM range it gets jerky and power delivery pretty much sucks. Mid and top is fine. The bike does not backfire or pop or anything on decel but I think that it could really use a good tune.......or a carb:anim_peep:

She vibrates, grunts, kicks, shakes her head at high speed like a pretentious whore but I love her all the same. Not the comfy DRZ but that wasn't what I was after.

All I need now is smoother low end power and who in god's name designed that kickstand:2hard

Less shop time and more riding!!:bannana::bannana::bannana:

#277 ·
Power on this thing is eradic. Not smooth delivery. It's really just in the bottom RPM range it gets jerky and power delivery pretty much sucks. Mid and top is fine. The bike does not backfire or pop or anything on decel but I think that it could really use a good tune.......or a carb:
Exactly why I converted my 08 to carb. Then sold it and got my beloved 06 back. The EFI is way to jerky for my taste. It's either on or off. Hates constant throttle or smooth slow roll on's. But works well if your pinning that bitch.
You might try the "light" throttle body spring. Bottom of the page. Not sure if it will work or not. But I have the carb spring and makes it smooth as butter.
http://www.tokyomods.com/carburetion/carburetion.html

#280 ·
Yep there is a thread here. Yep worth every penny. Afterall tge "RR's" are carbed for a reason. I used a new fcr41 mx. With some trinkets.
I dumped my 08 when the chance came up to get my 06 for sentimental. It's quite a story. Also a thread.

#282 ·
That appears to be a pain in the a**. I'm not ready to strip this thing and enter a new world of modifications....just yet. I thought I might be able to just throw a carb, petcock, and airbox on it and disable the EFI and be good to go. Was thinking the carb on my '03 CRF450R might work:anim_peep:

I totally see what you mean that it doesen't like a steady throttle input either. Yesterday I was up and down through the RPM range in all gears trying to break it in so I didn't notice it too much. On my way to work this morning I had a little traffic and holding the throttle steady it would cut in and out. Not majorily but you could just feel it. I thought something was broken and starting to give out.....I was nervous. But if I just pulled in the clutch and gave a Braaaaap, it would rev and then settle at idle and sound fine.??.?.??

Well, guess I need a PC-V & Autotune.

Anybody got one on the cheap??

#284 ·
I thought Squirt was having a bunch of trouble with the JD Tuner, just not be able to get thing "perfect". I'll shoot him a note anyway.

Here is the 'ol yammy. This is the next project. She is having electrical issues......and I don't like dealing with them.

#286 ·
This thing is UNRULY!!:bannana::bannana:

I was able to put on about 50 miles after work yesterday and really got to open it up. This thing has worlds more torque than before. I have this road in town that has a bunch of low shallow rollers probably about 6 ft between trough and peak. You could ride that whole road at 100mph and not come off the ground so they aren't like jumps. At about 65mph in 6th gear and land on the throttle at the top of the peak, it lofts the front tire, then as the rear comes down the slope the front goes all the way up into a wheelie. AWESOME

This thing is crazy in the corners compared to the DRZ. It just feels so damn solid. The DRZ is solid but dosen't feel so glued to the road. I haven't even come close to stretching her legs in the twisties because the riding position, weight distribution, etc... it completly different than any bike I've ever ridden. But once I get the hang of it this thing will be relentless........until the officer tells me it is not relentless and 70mph wheelies are not nearly as awesome as I make them out to be.:bannana::bannana:

(sorry for comparing to a DRZ but that is the only other supermoto I have ever ridden)

#288 ·
The great thing is that I'm not even ringing its neck to have this much fun. I haven't exceeded 75 in 6th gear. I don't know what rpm this is (because my digital rpm O'meter is barely working) but I haven't taken it any higher than this rev in any of the gears.

I did two heat cycles first day. Then put on an easy 10-15 miles keeping the R's moving between 2K-5K (apprx). Then 10 more miles later on constantly moving through the range from 2K-6.5K. Then 30-40 miles of of playtime and probably never exceeding 7,500 R's. All this was mostly 35-60mph stuff, not fast cruising.

What are your thoughts on break in? I'm always up for some input and maybe I should baby it a little more but I'm not going to be too easy in it. I'm not interested in getting into an Interwebs Battle but I am a firm believer that breaking in an engine TOO Easily/Lightly WILL cause you problems down the road. I've seen it a number of times.

Anyway, today is oil change time so hopefully everything looks good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.