SuperMoto Junkie banner

Engine complete tear down step by step with pics

33K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  tls25rs 
#1 ·
Ok well it's time to rebuild my 06 510. It has a tad over 12,000 miles and never let me down. I figured I would give her a complete rebuild including a 530 kit. I took all the pics to use as a reference for assembly but maybe it will help someone here.

Do not pull on the oil line it is held in by the cam holders

Remove the cam holders. Do not mix them up but they are numbered 1-4

Set them aside for now.

Remove the 4 head nuts AND washers. You will need to turn the engine upside down to get the washers out.

Remove the cam chain tensioner

See less See more
#31 ·
Well I pulled a boner move and nicked up my shift drum good. So I got a new one on order. Here is the deal... From 04-2009 the shift drum is billet aluminum. Cost around 80.00 in 2010 they went to a steel drum. Cost 80.00. So naturally I went with the steel drum.

#32 ·
Attention.... I thought this was worth a pic and explanation so nobody makes an very easily overlooked mistake. When you are change all your bearings you will most likely take them all out at once. Or at least the bearing retainer screws and retainers. Since they can only go in one way. This is all fine and dandy, however all the screws are the same length EXCEPT for two as you can see. Now these two screws belong to the secondary shaft bearing retainer. I purposely put the long ones in to show you what will happen. The screw will stick out to far and will bind the starter gears. So just remember this on installation. Hope this helps.

#33 ·
Thanks a lot for the pics...doing a complete teardown on my 9000 mile husky this week. Broke a gear tooth off somewhere in the tranny but nothings blown. Guaranteed my cylinder will look like this due the the fact that these bikes are incredibly reliable and built super strong. I appreciate your time as this will be my first huksy teardown (done many asian motocross bikes). Tear it up!

#37 ·
Humm I'll double check when I get home. Are you the only owner? I do know the screen cover and other area get stripped easily so a helicoil isn't uncommon.

Thank you! It's been a long time coming. I'm starting tge assembly thread today. Makes the job much slower lol but I hope it's helpful to others in tge future

#38 ·
Yup...original owner. Trust me...I was completely baffled when it "cross threaded" with only my finger power, then pulled out the helicoil like a stretched spring. Luckily my local Napa had the time-sert kit I needed in stock.

#40 ·
Hey back again....I started the teardown of my 06 husky and im stuck at one little spot: I cant for the life of me get the cam chain gear off the crank shaft. How did you go about doing this to your bike? I was pleased to find that my cylinder is still cross hatched like yours, I pulled apart the valves and the seats are perfect, no cupping, and the ring end gap is perfect. This motor has 10000 miles on stock everything. Pretty neat seeing how good the husky quality is....thanks!

#44 ·
One thing I learned the hard way, by destroying a case half because I was impatient, is if the gears do come off the transmission shaft pay very close attention to the direction which the gear faces on the shaft when you put them back together. There is a shoulder on the last gear that goes onto one of the shafts in a particular manner. One way it is correct and all will be good, the other it makes the shaft slightly longer than will fit between the case halves. It is not a big difference at all but enough to cause headaches and wreck things if you are impatient like I was.

The other thing I did wrong was to not know that if things are not going together smoothly and completely than take them apart and figure out why. If things are done correctly the shafts, bearings and case halves should go together with very little effort. (That is if you are heating up the bearings etc. to make the clearances easier to work with) When I did it incorrectly the cases were almost all the way together, very small gap left between them, and they just stopped moving, I just figured that maybe the bearings had cooled to the point of being snug on the shafts and I would use the hardware to snug up the case halves. Big mistake on my part. If everything goes correctly the case halves should pretty much fall together and the hardware will just be needed to hold them there. This is what happend when I got new cases and did it the second time LOL.

Hopefully my stupidity will save someone else from having the same issue I did.

Joel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.