SuperMoto Junkie banner

New owner of an 05 smr510

961 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Slider82 
#1 ·
After a long painful wait and a post of despiration for somebody to sell me a husky im proud to say I got a 05 smr510 thanks to our fellow smj member Slider82:bannana:. Jim bought the bike with a bad rod and planned to keep for a backup while he raced his 06 but the racing never happened. He did a great job getting the bike tore down and rebuilt for me :clap: so i made the trip from New Orleans to rabun georgia and picked it up. Couldnt be happier with the bike.

#3 ·
It was good to meet you Chris. The 510s are an absolute blast to ride! I love my '06 but I have to admit your '05 felt faster than my bike.:headscrat

I've always kinda wondered about how my bike was treated before I got it and I think I'm going to go ahead and replace the rod and bearings and go through and just freshen the whole motor up so I'll know everything is in good shape, maybe it'll feel as strong as your bike when I get done.:D

I don't remember if I told you or not but there are a couple of screens you need to clean when you change the oil and filter. They are on the LH side of the motor, one is behind an allen plug and the other is behind a small plate held on by 2 bolts with 8mm heads. It shows them in the manual but if you have any questions about it or anything on the bike give me a call.

Enjoy your new bike!:bike:

#5 ·
What you're hearing may be from the cam gears. The cam chain runs up to a big gear that turns the cams and most bikes just run the chain directly to the cams. The straight cut gears on the cams and gear give a little different sound to the Husky motor.

It only takes a couple of minutes to check the automatic cam chain tensioner if you want to make sure. Remove the center bolt, sealing washer and the spring, then remove the 2 bolts and tensioner. You'll see a little pawl that locks the teeth on the tensioner rod, pull the pawl back so that you can push the tensioner rod all the way back into the body. The gasket should be fine so just bolt the tensioner back up and then reinstall the spring, washer and center bolt. You'll hear and feel the spring pushing the rod back in. That's it. The spring keeps pressing against the rod and whenever there is any slack the rod will go to the next click.

All that made perfect sense in my head but sometimes what I'm thinking may not make it into writing very well.:headshake Give me a call if you have any questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.