SuperMoto Junkie banner

2008 WR250R to X

10K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  RIDEMMX 
#1 ·
Basically they are completely out of (NEW) WR250X Sumo bikes so after looking around and much hesitation I decided to just go with the R and make do with what I had. Basically the only difference is supermoto wheels and tires and a black frame. whoopty doo, so I'll just slowly convert it myself. Already got all the air box mods and AIS done as well as those ugly turn signals and what not. Seems to be going pretty well and I am more than pleased with this bike.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
yeah I know wheeling cycle has the wheels and if you talk to them they include the relocation bracket for the caliper, it's just the matter of me coming up with at least $1,400 for the kit. In time, Hopefully my graduation money can go toward them.

#7 ·
I agree the bare sides look pretty cool, probably even cooler if it had sumo wheels on it, but what I'm really looking for is black side panels. I want to drill holes in the side and put like some mesh screen behind it to make it look flashy but functional on the airbox side. So if anybody has black side panels in good condition and wants to sell them or trade for white. hit me up

Attachments

#8 ·
I've replaced several black plastic parts on my x over the years. I replaced front fender, headlight shroud, rad shroud, fork guard, and a footage for $100. That was with my shop discount, but even retail was super super cheap. Those black side panels rand new, full retail, cans be more than $20 a piece from your local dealer. Just order them for an 09 X

#10 ·
Oh i got you, It does look decent. Maybe I'll just get black side panels and keep the frame as is. i just want to make it my own since basically all the upgrades for it everyone already has or are the same. Just a matter of how deep your pockets are and your imagination.

#12 ·
I think i'm going to keep it mainly blue and black. Possibly a black rear fender then shave the front one to my liking. Not too sure yet just depends on what I think will look good.

i really like the graphics called "In line" on this site. I've looked around everywhere for graphics, but I don't really want to follow the crowd and get the same ones. http://www.amrracing.com/catalog/di...ross-dirt-bike-graphic-kit-2007-2012-250.html

#14 ·
I really like it when the bike has all blue plastic except the number plates and rear fender. When they have the blue seat like on the 08x's, the blue on the rad shrouds lines up with the blue on he seat and the black rear plastics and seat line up. Makes for a cool blue to black "streak" effect.

Just an idea..

#15 ·
Yamahammer 12 I am doing the same thing. You can reuse the rear hub and have it mounted to the 17" black rim. It fits no problem. The front on the other hand does not. It is a pain and pretty expensive to get a new front hub. If you get the right spokes and drill out the spoke holes a little on the front rim, you can get it to work. I spent just under $300 having everything mounted. And all together it was a lot cheaper to do it that way instead of buying new wheels. As for the FMF header, the only time you will notice a difference with that is if you are on it all the time. Those were designed for MX. Also changing your gearing will make a big difference in the way your bike runs down the road.

#16 ·
Yeah, I've been debating about getting a set of hubs and making my own sumo set because I would like Excel wheels and I can get the hub powder coated or anodized where I live, only thing left would be spokes.

Attached are a few pics of the bike with my new Pro Taper CR High EVO bars. The mirrors are going to be replaced soon cause man are they ugly. ASV levers are coming too.

Attachments

#17 ·
I chopped the stock mirror on the long part of the shaft, threaded it, flipped the back part of the clutch perch, and mounted the mirror under the bars.

Also look at zeta levers from wcs. I have the 2 fingers powdercoated candy red. Love em.

#19 ·
Asv's might be easier to find now, or some for another model might bolt up, but a couple years ago I had trouble finding them. Plus I just liked the billet look and feel. They pivot like asv. Haven't been able to bend or break one in the last two years or so with no hand guards..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.