SuperMoto Junkie banner

Michelin Pilot Power 3 tire pressure?

21K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  bdmmotard 
#1 ·
What pressure are you street guys running in your Pilot Power 3 tires? I am running 40PSI front and rear, wondering if thats too high? What about in cold weather? Thanks.

#2 ·
I ran Mich PP DOTs on my old Track DRZ and ran between 18-23 psi both front and rear depending on track conditions and temps - I cannot imagine anything that needs 40 psi unless you are doing a ton of Hwy miles - I have my Street Tard at 25 psi now in both F and R

#3 ·
Ok thanks. When I first got the tires the research i did said most people were running 36-42 PSI, and thats also what it say on the tire. But thats recommendation is for a tubeless tire, I am not sure how running a tube in a tubeless tire affects the tire pressure recommendation?

#12 ·
anything below that the rear gets squirly
doesn't really make sense, if you think that it's probably because you're not used to running lower pressures. only way a rear would actually get squirly is if there was almost no air left in the tyre.

ballpark figure for sm's is around 25 psi, you can go to 30 if you want your tyres to last a bit longer but I would never go over that on a motard, even for streetuse. for trackuse I run low 20's cold.

#15 ·
tire psi

The psi rating on the tire is the maximum cold tire pressure that should ever be run on that tire- read the fine print- it says "maximum". The bike manufacturer sets the actual tire psi by model- it is usually put on the spec label on the frame for street legal models. Most sport bikes 600 to 1000cc that weigh upwards of 350+ lbs use the 36-42 psi setting. A much lighter supermoto style bike- say 250 to 300lbs will require less psi to keep the tire carcass shape from deforming under load- on the street I have found that 25-35psi works well depending on the riders preference for rear tire "feel" and the ambient temperature, usually temps under 60 deg F require a lower psi to get some heat into the tire when cornering. Experiment and take notes of what feels good to your riding style.

#16 ·
The psi rating on the tire is the maximum cold tire pressure that should ever be run on that tire- read the fine print- it says "maximum". The bike manufacturer sets the actual tire psi by model- it is usually put on the spec label on the frame for street legal models.
Yep yep yep. same goes for cars. Check the door jam. But on top of all that jazz, I usually run my SM tires around 25psi and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.