SuperMoto Junkie banner

VOR En to Motard Conversion & complete rebuild

26K views 60 replies 13 participants last post by  VORMOTO 
#1 ·
Hey Guys

I am new to this forum, So i hope all my pictures get loaded correctly, If not, Please bear with while I get used to the site. :headscrat

I though I want to share my project with you all. I have decided to rebuild my current VOR 450 EN to a road legal Motard. The reason for this is that I feel so sorry for my bike in the bush and the fact that I struggle to source parts when something does go wrong. Hopefully if I stay out of the bush with the bike, It will not require parts as often......
(I will be getting another bike for the bush):clap:

Here is my Before picture. and a picture of the Motard rims I have already aquired.
I will be report back frequently and post pictures regarding my progress.

is there any tips you guys wanna give me before I start?

Cheers for now. Will be back soon...

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi Guys

A quick update on the start of my project….

The VOR was running on Excell offroad rims. So I got a good deal on some BEHR Motard Rims. The rear rim fitted 100%, the front wheel however did not fit so good. I needed new spacers, Shaft and bearings. Now, I am an engineer by trade, so if I can make a part instead of buying one, that is what I will do…. I drew up my parts list on CAD, and sent it of to be machined. Should be receiving it back within the next couple of days. Just for info, I had it made for 1/3 of the price what a new parts would have costed me… (Will post pics soon)

When I get the shaft and spacers back, I will have to check for correct for of the caliper, as I would have to make a spacer for that as well to accommodate the larger brake disk.

When I am 100% confident about the fitment of these rims, I will start the major stripdown. Below is a summary of what I am planning to do to the Bike.

Frame
Silver annodizing (maybe powder coat if I can get a nice shine from it)
Swingarm
As it is aluminuim, Just requires a thorough flat and polish.
Rims
Currently chrome, Just need a good poilish as the chrome is still in good condition, no n scratches whatsoever. I am also thinking of powder coating the outer rims black and keeping the spokes chrome. Will need to powder coat the hub black too.
Plastics
I am busy designing a custom decal set for my bike, Will post pictures. However, I still need to get a motard from fender and a decent looking headlight.

Till later.

#3 ·
Are they going to make that axle shaft hollow? If not you'll have a bit of extra unnecessary weight and no place to bolt on fork sliders in the future.

Looks like you're off to a good start so far.:thumbup:

#4 ·
Hi, yes. It will be hollow. Just not indicated on drawing. Will be a 13mm diameter hole. Will be Using SAE 5160 steel for the axel shaft. Getting it back tommorow, then I will be taking the bike to the track this weekend for a couple of test laps before the big stripdown. Really want to get this project done ASAP without compromising quality.

Cheers for now.
Shaun

#5 ·
This is my axel after being machined. Did a quick Fitment check and all is 100% just gonna get it nickel plated to prevent future rusting and buy the bearings and the seals, Then its done.

really getting into this project now with stuff getting done:bannana:

#8 ·
Hey. Got my plated shaft back, Fitted it with new bearings and seals and went for a spin. Bike runs great, so now the big strip is starting. Will post pics soon. I am first sorting out my garage so that I don't have clutter and sh1t around me for when I start.

Attachments

#9 ·
Some updates on my rebuild.

Started the stripdown, took about 5hours to completly strip it down.

I think i have to rename the Forum to "RESTORATION" as alot of the parts I removed will have to restored because i doubt if I will find suitable parts "off the shelf" :hmmm:

#10 ·
Guys, this is were I will need your help and input. :headscrat

I cannot for the life of me decide on what I want to do with the frame and swingarm. I had some ideas floating in my mind, but now that my frame and swingarm has been prepped for blasting and coating, I am thinking about a 1000 things at once. these are my options

- Silver frame, polished alu swingarm and polished chrome rims
- Silver frame, Black swingarm and silver rims.
- Black frame, Black swingarm and black rims with with polished chrome spokes. (maybe silver or red hubs)

Any ideas from your side? I will take a couple of days to think this thru..... Just to give you and idea of my plastics, see picture below, Not done with it, still waqnt to add some logo`s, writing etc.....
But this will be my colour scheme (red, White & black). I want to stay with the original VOR colours.

Saw a picture of a VOR once with decals like this, So I decided to draw my own instead of searching worldwide for it. if anybody wants the outlines to do their own designwork, Please feel free to ask for it, I will gladly provide it to you for fokol. :thumbup:

(fokol = Fuckall in Afrikaans:lol:)

#12 ·
I did it old school way, took some sheets of paper, placed them over the plastics, traced the outlines, digitized the tracings, converted the file to .dwg, pulled it into AutoCad, plotted scale 1:1 on normal paper. Check fitment, made some manual changes on cad, check it again, and then I started rendering. Quite simple actually but very time consuming.... ;-)

Ja, the frame is very robust.:arsenal

#15 ·
Chroming your exhaust...

Man... chrome?
If your headers are stainless then sand and polish if there Titanuim then clean and buff and let 'em blue!

Of-course that's just my own tastes... so who cares right, build the bike you wanna ride!
BTW, I like the build, you're lookin sweet so far!

Cheers'
Mike

#19 ·
Will post pics of the powder coating when I get It back, its gonna look sick! The way I see it, the real work is only starting now, still have a shitload to do!! The bike is going to be a show stopper! I'll probably only take it out the gargage to admire and then put back. Haha! Need to get my a YZ or somthing else for daily use......:arsenal

#20 ·
Got my frame and swingarms a couple of days ago. Swingarm came out great! Frame, not so great. The place I took it to had a new employee, and he fucked my frame up by not cleaning it properly after being sandblasted. Frame looked like 600grit sandpaper......! Now it has to be stripped and re-coated. The owner of the place was very sorry and offered to to do my rims at no charge whenever I am ready to bring them in. Spend the last couple of days just cleaning up my motor and refurbishing various parts. Pics to follow soon.....

#21 ·
as promised, here are the pics of my frame and swingarm. The frame needed to be stripped and recoated as explained earlier on.

The pics does not do any justice to the actual colour of the frame. it is a mettalic silver. on the pictures it actually looks greyish.

damage to powder coating:headscrat

#23 ·
Got my motor all cleaned up and fitted. I am hesitating on stripping the entire motor end rebuilding due to the availibility of parts. My engine was running 100% before the time....

Next up is the tripple clamps & wheels. My shocks are currently in the shop for new seals etc....

Got a issue with my rear shock though, Waiting on a reply from our local Ohlins dealer if he can sort this out for me

#24 ·
Great build mate! Love the black swingarm! The motor you can still get piston kits from wossner I just got one for my 503. I ended up getting it from eBay!! Other than a piston the parts in side are pretty strong and won't need much doing to them other than replacing things like bearings and seals. Im building a MX503 2000 (the first vor in aus ever sold) right now which is my dads but has been in bits for about 10 years so I thought I would build up and give it to him for his 50th in January. Also if you need parts the old importers in Australia cross country action in cessnock are doing a big sell off of all there parts.

#25 ·
As I said, the bike runs 100%, no oil smoke,leaks or lack of power,but I think I might just start buying some parts to have incase something goes wrong. I have a got buddy in Australia that can get the parts for me, when he comes back to SA he can bring it with, he can trow it in his furniture container. We get screwed with import taxes here in SA. Almost always the same price we pay for the item.

On another note. I have been busy with some small stuff around my bike, doing the cooling system, polishing my exhaust etc... Wil uplaod photos later on, need to take pics still.

Below is a update of my decals.
I think this should do?????

#26 ·
What happened to this build? Did you get it finished? Good to see you from SA!!! I am busy with my build at the moment, waiting to get it done and will post every thing! please post the rest of the pics so we can see the end result!:hmmm:

#27 ·
Hi guys, sorry for the delay in getting pics up. Ive been out of the running for while due to some setbacks. But i am back, i have pulled of the sheets from the bikke, and i'm ready to carry on from where I left off. The only progress i have made thus far from the last pics was that i managed to get my rims done. Powdercoated and respoked. Looks flippen awesome. Will upload pic tommorow. (Working on ipad now). Cheerio

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.