SuperMoto Junkie banner

KTM 380 2T Supermoto Project

40K views 85 replies 23 participants last post by  mugget 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, i'm in the process of stripping, cleaning and making my ktm 380 into a street legal supermoto, i've always wanted a big 2T and when this came up i had to have it,

here some pics from the strip and rebuild

The bike as i got it, was not in bad condition, owner had looked after the engine but frame and other bits need restoring

Attachments

See less See more
#31 ·
Managed to get alot done today, including vinyl wrap the front forks as i thought this would be the easier and better than painting them, came out spot on! bars and controls done, its starting to look like a bike now, carb cleaned and fitted, i'm running a 175 main and 42 pilot at sea level anyone have any info on jetting for the 380 as plug did look a bit lean when i pulled it before the rebuild.

Attachments

#33 ·
#38 ·
I have subframe from 125. 250 will fit also.
You most looking subframe with two handles for muffler. Because some bikes have only one muffler handle.

#39 ·
Very awesome project! Congratulations on choosing the correct engine configuration. :D

Great finish on the polished parts. I'm just wondering about your triple clamps - did you just use a grinder/sander to smooth out the casting marks? Any tips & tricks there? I'm looking to get mine all smooth ready for paint.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses, may give me some ideas for my 380!

#40 ·
Hi, i used a small sanding wheel in my dremmel multi tool, to smooth the side castings on the clamps, then polished them up until it was all smooth. but you really need a good sisal mop for polishing out marks in the alloy

#41 ·
been looking for a good set of wheels cheap and then these popped up, so had to have them, there going to look sweet on the 380, bargain as well complete with braking wavy front and rear disks!

Attachments

#45 ·
rad pipes and electrics now fitted, also just restored the stock pegs as well, saved me a few quid there

im waiting for my 2005 subframe and airbox which i'll be fitting for a sweeter looking back end

Attachments

#50 ·
Haha. Nice, i just bought a kit like the one yo u posted, gonna give it a shot. Just need something with enough RPM on it you sandthis stuff first?

#53 ·
ktm 380 supermoto update - rear end

Hey guys been busy sorting the back end on my 380 last week, got the rear fitted ok and the 5" rim just went in there, i added a 05 125 sx subframe and rear mudguard, i have to have an extra piece welded on the right side as its a tad to short, and i need to get a new seat as the stock one sat way to high on back, but def looks loads better!

I need to sort out the front wheel mounting any tips as i got to find a bracket for the 320mm disk and make some spacers up

#55 ·
Hey guys been busy sorting the back end on my 380 last week, got the rear fitted ok and the 5" rim just went in there, i added a 05 125 sx subframe and rear mudguard, i have to have an extra piece welded on the right side as its a tad to short, and i need to get a new seat as the stock one sat way to high on back, but def looks loads better!

looks already awesome :bannana:

#60 ·
cheers, ive seen the ebay ones, the braking one looks trick but im using the stock caliper, anybody know what forks i have as i think they are not stock as my bike is a 97/98, it says 2001 on top fork cap, and mounting holes are 95mm center to center apart for the caliper mounting? also can i use the stock 380 spacers as i havent got any to try and not sure which ones to order

#62 ·
i'll stick to the 380 parts are easily available from ktm and this thing friggin shifts enough for me!

not had much time to continue work on the 380 but its nearly finished, had to replace all the kick start mech
as it bent the spring and broke some internal components, quick call to ktm and all parts in stock and had them the next day
fantastic service...

few jobs left to do including mounting the front brake, i'm making my own mount, not paying 100 quid for a bit of alloy

i'll get some more pics up later to show you how she looks and rides

#63 ·
Finally got her all together with the wheels fitted, engine runs sweet as and no leaks, man has this bike got some power, pulls from no revs as all and just keeps going, will get some better pics in the day, its been few months of hard work but was worth it in the end :bannana:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.