SuperMoto Junkie banner

1984 XL350R Supermoto conversion

11K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  2stroksm 
#1 ·
I got this bike about a year ago. I've wanted one since I was a kid. I've been riding about 90% street with it, so I decided to run 17s and a big front brake.

My rims and spokes came in the mail last week, they are gonna be laced to my stock hubs at my buddy's shop. Contiforce tires are on their way too.

Thanks 2stroksm for answering my questions.

#10 ·
Tires? Continental SM?
You will have to tell me what you think of them after you get a few miles on'em.
I am running those on my GasGas EC250SM. I'll wait to give my opinion till after
your ride.
You said you are waiting on the Caliper bracket. What caliper are you using?
Nice to see the progress you have made. Kan;t wait to see the completion.
Sweet build, Jeff

#11 ·
Sounds like your 're not too happy with the Contis.
I ran through two sets on my DRZ and loved em.

EBC changed design of the locator bracket in their XR kits.
It no longer replaces the entire carrier on the caliper like yours did.
It is essentially just an offset plate with four holes now.
So it no longer works with any Nissin caliper, you have to use one off the XR series or very pre '04 CRs.
I have a caliper I'm going to use off my buddy's CRF. So the easiest and cheapest way to make it work was to get a caliper carrier off an XR from eBay. Now I'm just waiting for it to arrive.

#15 ·
I know some people prefer sport bike tires on supermotos. I had two sets of Dunlops on my DRZ before the Contis. The steering is so much lighter with the Contis. I love em.

I have Dunlops on my CR500AF and love those on that bike. But then again those are the only tires I've ever had on it since I built it.

This is the new style bracket. Waaaay cheaper to make than the old style like you have.

#18 ·
Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!:bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana:
That is sexy!!!! Looks a tonne better than the EBC bracket on my bike.
After you get tired of riding your bike around. Snap a couple of pictures of
the completed project. I'd love to see it.
Cheers and ENJOY the RIDE!!!!!!
Jeff

#19 ·
If you plan on getting a supermoto fender try trimming that one first. I always thought they were cool the way they wrap around the fork tubes. It looks like the fender used on the Factory Hondas they used to race the Superbikers back in the day. I like you kept the basic original look not trying to make it into something it isn't.

#20 ·
I agree with you 100% max.

I love the look of this bike.

I have traced out a few ideas in grease pencil already to cut the stock fender.

I had to take it off in order to swap out the brake line, and I was so impressed with the quality and design of the fender.

#27 ·
Pro Cycle should be able to help you.
When I called I told them what I wanted to do, they had me count my spokes, measure the swing arm to make sure of the clearance, and that was pretty much it.
They even offered to provide OEM hubs or build the wheels.
I can't remember who I spoke with but definitely call them again.
I had the rims and spokes within two weeks and they worked perfectly.

It was a great experience ordering from them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.