SuperMoto Junkie banner

Looking at a 2009 SXV 550

10K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Zaph 
#1 ·
There is a dealer tuned and derestricted 2009 with 1200 miles on it. The guy still owes almost $7k on it and asking $6999. That is quite a bit high IMO and the dealer (on consignment wanting to move it so the guy will buy another bike) plays it off at all the work that goes into derestricting it and the rarity of the bike. I am thinking $5,900 would be the absolute max I would pay for a bike that has been deal prepped. I am more thinking along the lines that this bike would be a good deal closer to $5,500.

The only reason I am contemplating purchasing this now would be to get rid of my 2011 KX250F (mint with only 4.6 hours and can't even pull $4500 for it) by trading it for a decently huge loss. I mainly want that bike gone so I can have something I can ride (done riding dirt).

What are your thoughts on the price of the bike? I am not desperate to buy and would prefer to wait for another bike due late Summer 2013.

#2 ·
have you read about all the issues with that bike, and the high maintenance schedule of it. I would say at the end of the season, you could probably find one for 4500-5000... just saying

#4 ·
Don't be afraid of the bike or the propaganda about them being grenades. It is bullshit.

You can find one for cheaper though. The bikes are basically unchanged for the most part through the entire run of years. An SXV is an SXV and they are all awesome. 6,500 is the max I would pay for a used 09 stocker. VDB replicas can go for 12,500 and they are worth it plus they are super rare.

You can find a beat one for 4500 but you get what you pay for.

#6 ·
The dealer where I bought my leftover RXV de-restricted it as a matter of course and did not charge me to do it.
And I paid less then they want you to pay for a used bike with 1200 miles.
I can't see it being worth more then $5k or so, especially considering the way they were dumping leftover '09s for less then that new.
I do think they have an overly negative reputation that is not really deserved. There were issues with some of the early bikes, but an '08 or later should be fine.
They are more maintenance then most street bikes, but not out of line with other race bikes. Build quality is better then average. And the power is addictive.

#7 ·
....I can't see it being worth more then $5k or so, especially considering the way they were dumping leftover '09s for less then that new.
When did I miss this?!!?

The lowest I ever saw on a new 09-11 SXV 5.5 was around 7400 OTD. I've got a couple of XVs BTW and none of mine were near the 7k mark. That's not to say that they can't be worth that, considering they're out of production. And nothing else out there has the psychotic demeanor of the SXV. But that being said $5k is on the LOW end of what I've seen for a nice 09 and up 550....

FWIW you can't go wrong with any 08+ XV or for that mater a properly resealed 06-07'(arguably the best of the three engine case designs)
Good luck with your dealer negotiations.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the input. I really like this bike. Owned a Husq 510 before and miss it. Currently have a Daytona 675 as well. We shall see, they are offering me $3k for my 2011 KX250F with 4.6 hours, yes, literally brand new and not willing to budge on their price. As it sits right now, there is no deal. Time will tell.

#9 ·
I had an 08 sxv450 was a great bike and I never had problems with it besides cold morning starts. It had the proper map loaded and was serviced by the Aprilia west coast master Amauri. I just was to afraid of something going wrong with it somewhere down the line so I sold it at a loss. It had under 1000 miles and I ended up getting around 4700 for it. The funny part was it was purchased to be shipped to Cambodia. I know supermoto is popular more so in Asia and Europe but it caught me off guard. I would love to own another one day but for now I'm content with Ktm :D

#14 ·
If spending $900 more for a slower bike seems like a good idea.......

I would shop around until you found the right bike for you at the right price, whether an Ape or a Husky, and buy it. $7k seems like a lot of money to me for a used SuMo.
If what you want is a turn key street bike that just runs, the Ape may not be it. But if you want the one with the most motor.......

#15 ·
The bike I would buy if my money tree was not dead would be a Ducati Hyper. I do not run a race series and there is a speed limit on the public roads, so the motor comparisons between the Ape and Husky are moot to me. The dealer is also set on selling the SXV at $6899, so that is not a deal. The Husky dealer will also give me $3800 for my 2011 KX250F (still taking a bath on it, worst bike decision I have made ever). Purchasing new, I can also pick up a 36/36k warranty through Husky. Now we are completely off topic.

I do have to say, if I was fortunate enough to have a Sumo racetrack around here, the SXV would be the clear choice.

#20 ·
Just to give you an idea I paid, $6100 for my 08 SXV derestricted 8 months ago. I would pay $6500 tops for the one you are asking about. I agree with the others, paying an extra $900 for a Husky is quite possibly the stupidest thing I have heard.

The way it looks now

The way it looked when I first bought it

#23 ·
Not yet but I tink I will next season. I really wanted to bring it out this year but the two times I was going to bring it it was pretty cold out and I didn't want to wad it up. Also I wanted and ideal day out so I can compare the 2 (my built YZ race bike and my 550 SXV0 side by side to see which one was the best. Trust me though, the day I do it I will be writing a report on in the day after lol.

#24 ·
Not yet but I tink I will next season. I really wanted to bring it out this year but the two times I was going to bring it it was pretty cold out and I didn't want to wad it up. Also I wanted and ideal day out so I can compare the 2 (my built YZ race bike and my 550 SXV0 side by side to see which one was the best. Trust me though, the day I do it I will be writing a report on in the day after lol.
Likewise, I can't wait to get my new 450 build on the track to compare it to my 690. I think I will be faster on the 450, but maybe just because I'll grow more balls being less afraid of wadding up my 690. But if I had an SXV, I might not have needed a separate 450 to track. Looking forward to your report, but better yet I hope to be there when you're ripping it up on the SXV. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.