SuperMoto Junkie banner

Heidenau K 73 Tires

42K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  FuzzyBock 
#1 ·
So I finally got em installed....

Rear tire...

Front tire...

First impressions are good. Took off out of my buddys shop and the bike feels solidly planted on gravel (let off at 50mph :D ) Then screwed around in a dirt/gravel lot and into a grassy field to get em dirty then did a few hot laps in a walmart parking lot to scrub em in. Rode 30 miles home in 30 degree weather and they felt good. A little odd in how they ride and turn in compared to the Shinko 005s I had on before but I could be imagining things and the shinkos were dead. The K73s feel very sticky, like scraping peg on a traffic circle in cold ass weather. Not expecting a lot of life out of em but they sure will be fun :thumbup: Will update this thread as I put more miles on the tires since nobody seems to run these. Front cost me $107 and the rear was $144. Got em from www.sporttour.com

See less See more
#6 ·
Ill keep it updated. Have 85 miles on the tires now. Havnt really pushed em too hard since its been cold and they are still new. Ended up raining here and the roads were really slick. It was cold and hasnt rained in a while. I noticed cars around me sliding a little bit so I didnt push it. Front feels solid and planted, rear spins up with heavy throttle. Need to play with tire pressure. Sport tour doesnt advertise Heidenau on their website but I know they carry them, just have to call to order.

#7 ·
A guy I ride with has them on his FS570. They hook up pretty good. If they don't feel right, like theyre too stiff try breaking them in at überlow pressure for a bit.

Just like you would do on a biasply superswamper tire for a crawler. Somewhere between 5-15 psi. Just let air out untill you can see it sag with you on it. Then ride kinda easy in a parking lot to get them to flex and that may help them loosen up. Prolly need 10-20 miles at very low psi for it to help.

Oh, keep an eye on the tire temps right?

#10 ·
I liked mine in the cold street
Went to the track and tore them up
that's a race grade rain tyre you have there, should be a michelin according to the thread pattern.

on the street you might get away with using one but mix that tyre with a dry track and you're asking for trouble, and a new tyre... they don't call it a rain tyre for nothin, use them on a dry track and they'll overheat.

that heidenau isn't an actual rain tyre, it has a street type rubber compound mixed with a rain tyre style thread pattern.

#14 ·
Yes I have a 07 DRZ400SM with the stock 4.5" rear rim. The K73 is a 160/60. As of yet I havnt noticed any problems with it (chain clearance or handling). My last tire was a Shinko 005 in 160/60 and I didnt notice any weird handling problems with it compared to the 150/60 I had on before that. So far I still like em after 150 miles with the last 60miles being wet/rainy :bannana:

#17 ·
Seattle, but yeah; close. Way too friggin expensive to keep replacing every few months thats for damn sure. Looking forward to trying these Hyundai-Heinekin 73 whatever tires out.
Perelli MT60's typically run $200 to $240 per tire plus, tax, shipping, mount and balance,and new tubes. Adds up quick so I've run them till the damn cords start flappin.

#19 ·
For the price paid the Shinkos where not a bad tire. You just can not compare them to a high end quality tire like a distanzia or Conti or similar. Apples to oranges comparison. For average riding in summer temps I was content with the shinko 005s but once it got cold and wet they just didnt work. So far the K73s are getting it done nicely and the price is right :thumbup:

#22 ·
#25 ·
Subscribed, watching and waiting for further reports.:popcorn:

#26 ·
***UPDATE***

So I have 500 miles on the tires to date. Still love em! Best tire I have put on my Dizzer in its 20,000 mile life :D Grip well in the wet and handle snowy roads good enough to get by but I wouldnt wanna go very far.

O yea heres a vid riding up a snowy set of stairs :bannana: http://contour.com/videos/watch/some-snow

#30 ·
Gotta love anything that goes out with a :).

#31 ·
I had them on my 2005 MZ125SM as they came as the stock tyre. I LOVED them! here's my report,

They are AWESOME in the rain, and on the dry streets, they are awesome in the dirt, and good to great in the mud, On the little 125 they were fine on the track but I would not run them as a race tyre unless I had many sets and the track conditions called for them IE wet). I replaced them with the GREAT AVon Distanzias, but felt the Heidenaus were as good almost everywhere but felt lighter. Maybe this was because the Heids stock were a 100 130 and I went to a 110 140 on the MZ so bigger is always heavier. BUT, I would and probably will buy these again for the Project XR400R SM since they are such a brilliant tyre for general riding and glorious in the wet and dirt. PLUS they LOOK super bitchin!

#32 · (Edited)
#33 ·
OK so I finally got around to writing this...

Fine mileage on rear tire.... 2800 miles.

Overall thoughts... GREAT!

Would I buy them again? Yes I would.

I might have made 3000 miles but doing this was too much fun... http://gifninja.com/animated-gifs/666864/smile-its-bike-night

These tires are perfect if you ride in wet, cool/cold weather including snow :coffee: I do not recommend these tires for kart track racing (at least the rear) or for aggressive summer (warm weather) riding. The small tread blocks really wiggled around when pushed hard and it could be a little unsettling if you arent used to the bike moving around. I have a strong dirt background so a little wiggle never really bothered me and the tires were always predictable on when they were going to let go. Letting the rear hang out on an exit of a corner is very easy with the throttle and not once did it feel scary. On hot dry pavement these tires squeal and make a lot of noise. The front really starts barking when hard on the brakes when doing a panic stop or rolling stoppies. Kinda funny to watch people freak out when they hear the tires squealing. I wasnt a huge fan of the noise but they never slipped out from under me and you knew when you were pushing the limits. The past 1000 miles or so the rear doesnt want to hook up in wet weather when on the throttle but sticks fine in the corners. I think these tires are better than distanzias offroad and in cold wet weather. The Heidenaus make for a great winter season tire but I still think the distanzias are better on road during the warm summer riding season. Still TBD what my next tires will be, thinking Pilot road 3s but I may toss on the distanzia I have in my basement to get through the summer and get a K73 for this winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.