SuperMoto Junkie banner

What Bike Should I Buy SUPERTHREAD. Do not post this type of topic anywhere else!

46K views 117 replies 58 participants last post by  och 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Starting a What bike should i buy super thread to help clean things up a bit. Please be as detailed as possible so the other forum members can help you out. Also please stay as close to this format as possible to keep it neat.

How much do you want to spend?

What kind of riding do you do? IE. commuting some highway, all back roads, 50/50 dirt/street, some track, all track

What kind of riding experience do you have?

Do you do your own maintenance?

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate?

#71 ·
The ones I've seen locally weren't something I'd want to own. I've had personal experience with four of them and they all had footpegs that either fell off during riding or were loose and barely hanging on by a thread (amongst other things). I'm just not a fan of them, but other people seem to like them...just nobody that I know around here lol.

#72 ·
Seems that just about any Euro bike needs a little more TLC than your average Japanese equivalent. I had a 2008 SM510R which was one of my all time favorite bikes after adding the factory power up kit(ran like shit stock). I think that 610 is priced great for the mileage and would have a look at it for sure. My current bikes are both Euro's. When I first got my 690(used) it had several issues. Most were simple maintainence needs that had been overlooked. Once I got it sorted it's been great. Recently got an RXV550 and finished converting it for supermoto. Again, it had some issues that needed sorting, but nothing major. Euro bikes will cost you a little more time and money to own.

Comparing the bikes you listed in stock form. Figures are from google, so close-ish.
SM610R 50hp/38tq 340lbs
DRZ400SM 34hp/25tq 319lbs
WR450F 44hp/30tq 273lbs
There is probably an easy 5hp in each bike with an exhaust and fueling change. How much weight a bike can lose can be not much or a shit load.

I took 30lbs off my 690 with a full exhaust swap and a Ballistic battery. Stock spec says 63hp/48tq 361lbs. I personally think the power numbers may be a bit high for stock but ballpark as it is now. I weighed it at an even 330 with about 3/4 tank of fuel. it's an easy 50lbs heavier than my 550 but you only notice it offroad or at the end of a long day. And even then it doesn't feel like a huge difference.

#73 ·
Inspiring supermoto

Hi everyone-
been riding for a little over a year now, 18 years old. I bought my first bike at 17 off my dad, a 2010 Triumph Street triple.
As I have been riding more i have been wanting to get onto a supermoto.

The opportunity has come up to buy a 2008 TT-R230.

I know what kind of work would need to be done to get it road legal but does anyone have advice on how good it is for riding around town. My triumph is obviously a start and go kind of bike, never need to worry about anything. I would not be traveling more than 20 miles at a time.

Maybe this is all a stupid question, but i truly do not know much about doing a street build out of a dirt bike and how well it will operate.

#74 ·
Hi everyone-
been riding for a little over a year now, 18 years old. I bought my first bike at 17 off my dad, a 2010 Triumph Street triple.
As I have been riding more i have been wanting to get onto a supermoto.

The opportunity has come up to buy a 2008 TT-R230.

I know what kind of work would need to be done to get it road legal but does anyone have advice on how good it is for riding around town. My triumph is obviously a start and go kind of bike, never need to worry about anything. I would not be traveling more than 20 miles at a time.

Maybe this is all a stupid question, but i truly do not know much about doing a street build out of a dirt bike and how well it will operate.
wow this thread got a bit neglected
anyways not sure if you go that TT-R 230 but if you did you are probably hating your life right about now.

That TT-R is going to be super underpowered for almost anyone on the street. You mentioned around town and if you plan on just using it only as a off road scooter then it may fit the bill. I wouldn’t worry about making it crazy street oriented. Just the legal requirements. Keep some knobbies on it for when you want to put around the back way through some trails.

if you’re selling your triumph for this, don’t.

#75 ·
How much do you want to spend? 6-7k

What kind of riding do you do? Commuting, urban exploring, offroad. Will be everyday bike replacement.

What kind of riding experience do you have? Grew up in bush on dirt bikes. Ride road every day for last 3 years. Track days every couple months.

Do you do your own maintenance? Yes

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? 3-5000km (1.8-3100 miles). Service my track bike every 300km so would rather not be adding a large maint schedule to another bike.

#78 ·
How much do you want to spend? No more than $4000. I'm looking to buy a second hand supermoto.

What kind of riding do you do? I do 15 miles a day, every day. About half of it are just straight up driving at 55 mph, then going slow through traffic and filtering. Once or twice a year I'm going to do a 400 km trip.

What kind of riding experience do you have? I've been riding motorcycles for 3 years.

Do you do your own maintenance? Yes, I do.

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? The least maintenance I do, the happier I am.

Other notes: I want a supermoto that is sport-ish and aggressive, not more of a cruiser like the Honda FMX 650.

#81 ·
Turtle, Go with the 690. Amazing service intervals and with your experiance off road it will be no issue. I ride a XR650SM and also used to race open class desert with the XR and a 525. The 690 is an amazing bike on and off road. My girl got one and I love it so much its my next bike. I cant stay off of it.

#82 ·
Luca, The WR is about as close as you’re going to get to running a race bike style super moto. It will offer higher maintenance intervals and nicer cruising speeds due to the wide ratio transmission.

Acceleration- will be good smoother then a YZ450

Top speed- don’t expect any SM to be truly happy over 90. With no wind protection, 80mph gets old quick. but it should cruise at 80 with decent gearing.

Weight- Current weight is listed as 273. it’s off road twin is 245. you should be able to shave a good 10lbs or so. and you won’t notice that weight too much on the road.

WR250 is also another good choice since you will be going a bit slower and didn’t list any type of hooligan riding other than your commuting. If you’re only going to commute the WR250 is a good option. If you want to brake late, skip a tire and pull wheelies then WR450 would be a good fit.. If you can’t find the WR450 second hand look for a DRZ400. A bit heavier but they are bullet proof and a lot of people really like them .

#83 ·
Thanks for the info, really useful. Now then, to make sure I'm not confused, is the street version WR 450 you're talking about the WR 450 X or? Also... do you think I should get a DRZ 400 only if I don't find a WR 450? What are the major differences between the two?

Last but not least, how does it sound in real life?

Thanks again.

#84 · (Edited)
How much do you want to spend
-My budjet was 10 000€

What kind of riding do you do? IE. commuting some highway, all back roads, 50/50 dirt/street, some track, all track
-I would drive all, it is for just hoppy, so not matter

-before i was bying my bike i was have only few years drive 125cc bike in street, then was about 10 years break

-all what i can do my self

-almoust all, maybe that 500km oil exchange might be too short

#85 ·
Looking for my ideal Supermoto

I'd like a new bike. I don't want a bike ridden by every wannabe rider in town with missing parts and mods not legal or performed by a certified mechanic. No offense..
Narrowed it down to KTM Husky and TM Racing.
It will be a street only bike for the weekends no track riding and probably never on dirt. No commuting either.
KTM I heard vibrates a lot. I have a Ducati so my kidneys will not approve of more vibrations. Done with that.
TM's are scarce on parts and mechanics but has a great racing heritage. Beautiful bike too. And I do Love having stuff that no one else has.
Husky seems like the cure to meet my criteria because they are just now getting popular and KTM dealers usually carry them so getting parts and service will be easier.

Any comments so far?? Please no smart ass remarks. I really want to buy the right bike for me and don't need comments not adding value. Much information I have researched are for bikes people have or had years ago or are still riding them. I need advice on what's available for 2015 and meets the lame EPA regulations.

I don't know if I can post a list of options I want so if this needs to go some place else please let me know. I'd love feedback on my wanted part list as well.

I'd like to build the ultimate Supermoto but it has to be realistic in some capacity. I have to be able to be imported in the states have a reasonable skill set of mechanics who can work on the device and right now I'm on the west coast so our nazi like laws narrow down the types we can own to less that a half dozen.

I think the donor bike will be the Husqvara or KTM. It will the be the 500EXC or FE501S unless in 2016 the models change. TM Racing is also another one I'd love to have but I'm not certain the dealer in CA can make it happen. He says the 2016 model will be ready on October but I know most people will say parts will be impossible to get. Fair enough.

Right now I'm strongly leaning to the Husky since KTM seems to be putting a lot of development into their new Husky investment so people can stop saying it's a KTM with different colors. Right now there are several differences between the two bikes.

I want a world class looking graphics and decal set up. It can be minimal or something really creative that a well liked and respected graphics/decal company put together but I don't want it to look too much like a super-cross bike. I'd prefer the graphics of the Freestyle MX bike or Supermotos v. Supercross/motocross. Derestricted makes some incredible bikes and I'm in talks with them to get something created but as I mentioned I'm willing to listen to everyone else.

I'm willing to spend the money to get what I want but won't be breaking the bank.
Here is a list of parts and mods I'd like to do so fell free to critique add or delete items you don't recommend. I don't mind mild shortcuts so if there are things obviously not needed or overkill let me know. An example would be a 501s I saw which looked like it had a carbon fiber swingarm but found out it was just powder coated.

• Black Excel Rims with black Talon hubs and black coated spokes (also willing to listen to other brands and colors. Would be willing to pay for Marchesini forged aluminum or magnesium mag wheels as well if it added to performance and/or looks)
• All- black Racing- Fork with DLC (Diamond like Carbon (F1 Technology) ) coating
• All- black Racing Shock
White painted frame
• Magura CNC machined Handbrake Cylinder
• Brembo 4 Piston Brake Caliper

320mm or larger EBC floating front rotor (bigger the better. The Black Dream with rotor just under the size of the wheel was one of the most incredible things i've seen.)

top of the line rear rotor preferably floating (if that exists)

• All- black CNC machined Racing Triple Clamps
• Factory Fuel Cap (I've seen this listed but not sure of significant or need for factory cap)
• FMF Silencer or power bomb or Akrapovic Ti Racing Silencer (need suggestions)

Need suggestion on tires. This will be a 99% street riding only machine. I love the tires with the horizontal 2 inch by 3 inch slits on them but I heard they aren't legal in many states.

• Custom Graphics (I still need help here)
• Black aluminum Skidplate (Works Connection)
• Rizoma Clutch Lever Guard
• Rizoma Brake Lever Guard

Need suggestions on other parts not listed...feel free to add:

Triple clap steering dampener. I heard Husqvarna makes a great one already??? TRue? Something to really make the bike feel more like a street bike and easier to control in sketchy situations.

A bigger gas tank would be great but I absolutely hate the look of that clear (more like yellowing) tank that seems to stand out like a sore thumb.

Thanks for any and all input guys!

#88 ·
....I'll answer the 4-5 initial questions from this thread, I didn't see if before

FYI rephasing some questions, e.g. how much do I want to spend. Well, as little as possible but am willing to pay more for the right bike, look and set up.

How much are you willing to spend? About $15K, maybe $16k if its the sickest bike on the street.

What kind of riding do you do? All pleasure, street riding only. Almost nothing on dirt unless I get stranded, so it's all paved roads. Top speed doesn't matter but would like to go at speed on freeway and other roads with higher limits. I just want to have fun and look good while doing it :)

What kind of riding experience do you have? Been riding street bikes for 10 years off and on, dirt bikes on and off a couple years. I've taking the TT dirt course and other supermoto training from a 5 time sumo champ.

Do you do your own maintenance? None, unless it's oil change. I do have the Americas largest KTM/Husky dealer down the street and the shop that sells Beta's is about a 15 min drive/ride.

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? For the good of the bike I could get oil changes on every other or 3rd long ride. Anything with valves and rebuilds more than once a year would annoy the crap out of me I expect to put on 2000 miles or less each year.

If you wanna buy a used Beta or Austrian bike fully decked out and cared for very well and living in a garage full time, look me up in 2020 or so :) :D

#89 ·
I never sent anything about not posting in the chat? Maybe you posted this question there too? Don’t worry just look for appropriate sections to keep down clutter and to aid in streamlining the site.

Either way, since you will be using this bike entirely for street duties I would then look for a KTM 690 SMCR. Amazing bike in almost every way. I love it and will be picking one up as well. Or if you can stand the weight the Husqvarna 701SM looks nice but has yet to hit floor.

At the level you will be riding don’t worry so much about wheels. But I will tell you here in Talon Hubs, Excel wheels and bulldog spokes are somewhat of a standard. Aplina Makes a beautiful wheel and their Hubs are beautiful too.

The KTM 690 will be your best choice, Sure their a few out there but its a wonderful bike.

Put your upgrades in wheels brakes, exhaust and suspension.

SO... wrapping it up will look like
KTM690 Enduro R (other choice Husqvarna 501 then KTM 500) but 690 will fit you better
Alpina Wheels 5" rear and cush drive hubs, (tires I would opt for Dunlop Q3 or Conti SM tires)
Beringer brake 6pot caliper and master cylinder (w 310mm rotor)
Wings Exshaust (dont bother with header its already titanium on the 690)
EVO 2 Airbox
Suspension revalved for your weight and riding type.
GPR4 Steering Stabilizer
*you will also need to remap the bike for the airbox and exhaust its easy and your dealer better be able to do it.

All that should cost you around 15

#91 ·
Thanks for the info.

A few items I need clarification on:
You mentioned getting a 690 SMC then later wrote 690 Enduro-R
On hubs, you mentioned Talon and later on mentioned cush, unless they are a style of Talon hubs.
You first mentioned for what I'm using the bike for don't worry about wheels but later you wrote to put my money in wheels, suspension, brakes and exhaust.
KTM has brembo brakes, aren't those the best?

I've got 2 guys who will build this bike for me around the $15K range so I'll probably take them up on it.
And one of the premier builders in Austria wants to sell him prized bike not even ridden yet for about the same price. Shipping will be the big bitch.
Those must be pricey upgrades because these guys aren't cutting corners and their labor is included in that figure.

Do you know anyone in the Midwest who is a top talent supermoto builder? I don't want to have to move the bike more than 500 miles.

Thanks.

#90 ·
What should I do?

How much do you want to spend?
$7000-ish

Will be a daily commuter (14 miles one way, two lane roads, 45 mph speed limit). Don't plan on serious off road but will hit some dirt/gravel roads on occasion. No track. May take longer trips when the mood strikes to just get out and ride.

Offroad for 20+ years. 5+ years street experience but none in the last 10 years.

Yes, unless it is incredibly complex or requires expensive special tools.

1k oil changes, valve inspections every 5k.

I am looking for used bikes. I am not opposed to converting a bike, but would prefer a factory built bike. The bikes I have been considering are DRZ400SM, 2008-2010 KTM Duke, KTM SMC, and to keep things interesting, a Yamaha FZ-07 (I know it is not a SM).

#94 ·
another 'whats your recommendation' question between two bikes.

Hi all. I'm in the UK and have a limited budget but I have found 2 bikes and am unsure what to go for.

2006 twin exhaust ktm 640 lc4. I have owned one before with full akra system and know its a good bike but its getting a bit dated now in my opinion.

2011 husqvarna sms630. this has the husky arrow exhausts and arrow ecu but never had any experience with newer husky bikes. I had an old 2001 sm610s but that didnt compare to the ktm of its time.

has anyone got experience with the sms630 as far as reliability and useability goes?

what would you go for? The ktm is £2500 and the husky is £3500 advertised.

thanks in advance.

#95 · (Edited)
2010 Aprilia sxv 550, duke 690 2010, husky nuda 2012

Hi I am really having problems about buying one I was going to buy one yesterday which in my eyes was a steal In other words very good deal. It has had two owners the last guy a police motorbike cop who only has put 1000km in 3 years as only uses once a month. He spent 1200 three months ago on it getting gaskets and I think a water pump my spanish is not that good to read the bill. Now two new tyres and oil change. I live on one of the other islands so its not like I can pop and test it. He says he changes oil every 300km and that is where the problems are the servicing. I will be using this about every second day for 0.5 hrs or little more(once the novelty has ?) to do light hooligianism driving which seems a little scary but bloody safe on my husky standard sm610(not going to upgrade as its more than getting other bikes) which is getting to slow for me now. Its such a sweet looking ride . I told the guy to relist it and put it in the right section in the advertising site and ask more money as it worth it. Last week one went for 4800 euros. I have got him down from 3800 to now 3500 euros (2570 pounds, $3967) when i said I was not coming to see it anymore. His friend had just died and he wanted a safer bike. He is a genuine guy who I trust. Well i said as my mother inlaw is in hospital and you have not sold it I will have it at end of month. Am I mad. I guess that is the norm with sxv junkies.
I have been reading all these forums and surely you can get at least 1k from the oil. Its done 4k and according to you lot needs top end re-build at 6000km , surely if it aint broke dont fix it. Im tight

Thats where the other two come in nuda 2012 for 6900 for R 10,000-15,000km and 6000 for norm nuda 20,000-24000km by the time i have done engine rebuild and other maintance on sxv it not going to be much shy of 6k and it is two years newer. Is it as fast, more bhp but got to be heavier but prob more sensible drive. Nuda on second island away two ferries prob get there in 12 hours and 150 euros lighter. Prob get them down in price been for sale at least 5 months of watching

Not any 690 close by 3 days by boat and what ever to drive through Spain but about 4500 euros (mainland Spain ) which is going to add at least 1k+in price
So what would you go for .....anyone owned all three that would be a tall order .
Sorry about my English I am English living in La Palma:lol: the smallest island with the highest mountain ratio = Twisty heaven. You can come and stay at my bungalows and enjoy lapalmabungalows.com ...... pack your moto

The things we do for motorbikes yer i also have to pay 4.4 % buyers bloody tax in Canarys prob more in mainland Spain

On another note....not to put the site writer down... if you want people to post only in this section you should be able to start your own thread in this section dont you think. to make life easier look at the hits

Attachments

#100 ·
New supermoto project model year suggestions

Hey guys;

which ktm model and year is the best to build up a new street bike i heart 525 and 530 and bikes like 450smr but i dont know actually which bike is actually 450smr made from.
I have just moved to Us from Eu. I used to have 690 and 640sm and enduro models. I want lower cc 4stroke machine to build my city bike here. What model and year makes less problem and gives good power and fun riding in the street? I'am 5.8" and 160Lbs also im open minded for other brands and model suggestions. I love putting good accesories on my bike. Thinking about to spend 2k for bike and 2k for the parts.

So excited already, waiting for your suggestions.

#105 ·
Not going to happen. The last year to convert a dirt bike to a street legal bike was 2001 or 2002, and there was a grace period. I would assume it was green stickered in this fine state, now it is in our system. Even with a South Dakota plate it will never get a CA plate. There is a reason why the plated ones are 2K more than green stickered examples. Also if your not a fat ass like me, 2007 and later 450exc's are street legal if the were registered that way. Still gobs of power, just higher up in the rev range. Any thing between 2002 and 2007 be wary, don't trust the seller saying it will work.

#107 ·
If you're going to hunt down a supermoto already built or factory it will be in the 5-6K range. A plated dirt bike is 4K for a well used one, and 2K to put sumo goodies on it.

When you said "sf" did you mean San Francisco? That is central California.

We must...We must...increase our boost

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.