What Bike Should I Buy SUPERTHREAD. Do not post this type of topic anywhere else!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Bike Should I Buy SUPERTHREAD. Do not post this type of topic anywhere else!

Default What Bike Should I Buy SUPERTHREAD. Do not post this type of topic anywhere else!

Starting a What bike should i buy super thread to help clean things up a bit. Please be as detailed as possible so the other forum members can help you out. Also please stay as close to this format as possible to keep it neat.

How much do you want to spend?

What kind of riding do you do? IE. commuting some highway, all back roads, 50/50 dirt/street, some track, all track

What kind of riding experience do you have?

Do you do your own maintenance?

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate?
    Last edited by brian; 04-11-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    Shoot me a PM for pricing on Warp 9 SM wheels, Great deals!
    07 SXV 550
    08 KTM 690 SMC
    12 Triumph Street Triple R
    08 Husky 510 SMR SOLD,03 KTM 300 EXC 2t Tard SOLD,04 KTM 625 SMC STOLEN,07 DRZ 400 SM SOLD

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by B_palmer22 View Post

How much do you want to spend? 8k

What kind of riding do you do?Commuting, back roads exploring, dirt/gravel roads, mild offroad

What kind of riding experience do you have? Dirt bikes, been riding for 10 years off and on.

Do you do your own maintenance? yes

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? I'd like a normal road bike schedule, I don't want to be changing my oil every week.

I've been eye balling KTM 690 SMC's and Dukes. I currently ride a KX450f so I don't want to go down in power. I'm 6' 220 lbs in street clothes, seat height isn't a big deal. I can expand on any answers if I was too vague.

Quote Originally Posted by big-tex View Post
    I've been eye balling KTM 690 SMC's and Dukes. I currently ride a KX450f so I don't want to go down in power. I'm 6' 220 lbs in street clothes, seat height isn't a big deal. I can expand on any answers if I was too vague.
    I think you'll be plenty happy with a 690. The duke is a more street focused bike. I'm actually looking for a 690 SMC also. You shouldnt count out a good 625. They are great bikes.
    07 SXV 550
    08 KTM 690 SMC
    08 Husky 510 SMR SOLD,03 KTM 300 EXC 2t Tard SOLD,04 KTM 625 SMC STOLEN,07 DRZ 400 SM SOLD

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Debating on a Husky 510 or a Husky 450. (open to other suggestions too)

I will be buying used. Trying to stay around 5k.

Currently have a CRF450R that is street legal....thinking about getting something that doesn't need so much maintenance.
    2002 CRF450R sumo'd and CA street plated (sold)
    2005 KTM 625SMC

Awesome thread!

Used: ~$5500 New: ~$9500
    Then let's go with one option with an unlimited budget!

What kind of riding do you do? Errands (will be a lot more fun); SOME dirt, SOME track (willing to have a spare wheel set for one or the other)

What kind of riding experience do you have? Plenty of dirt, track, and street riding, from a CR80 to a CBR1000 to a '67 Triumph bobber.

Do you do your own maintenance? I do, but would rather pay someone for big stuff, engine rebuilds or valve adjustments. Depends on cost v. effort. But I CAN do my own.

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? Would like to keep to street bike maintenance intervals ideally, but I know SM bikes aren't that simple. So I am willing to do more simple stuff, but don't want to be rebuilding engines every few months.

Thanks a million everyone!

did i not do this right?

You did, I was just really hoping someone else would chime in here because your just going to get the same opinions from me over and over. I would look at 690/625's if i were you. But hey i like orange bikes.
    07 SXV 550
    08 KTM 690 SMC

Quote Originally Posted by jaywood View Post
    Debating on a Husky 510 or a Husky 450. (open to other suggestions too)

I will be buying used. Trying to stay around 5k.

Currently have a CRF450R that is street legal....thinking about getting something that doesn't need so much maintenance.
    510's are great bikes. The maintenance is often but very easy. They get it. 08 got FI, 09's got dual pipes 2011 went to 511.
    07 SXV 550
    08 KTM 690 SMC

Default Help me out

I'm pretty much sold on a drz400 or dr650 as my Supermoto. It's going to be my everyday commuter where I plan to abuse it more than a red headed stepchild. I will be riding it to and from work and just around town. The question I really have is what is the difficulty when converting a dr650 or dr400 to a Supermoto and by that I mean where can I get rims? I wouldn't mind even buying a used pair. What fits the dr650 compared to the drz? Any information would help.

Warp nines are the easiest way to go. They're reasonably cheap. Go with the 400. They're lighter and faster ish.
    07 SXV 550
    08 KTM 690 SMC

Current bike: 2006 KTM 200 XCW (enduro)

Kind of riding I will do: Errands and possibly commuting to work a couple days a week. (commute is 12 - 15km. Can be highway or back roads)

Height: about 170-175cm (I think thats about 5"8)

Weight: 70kg (about 154lbs)

Looking at: 2013 / 2012 / 2011 690SMC (want a 2nd hand one if I can otherwise might have to save a little more for a new one - they're hard to find here)

Also seen a 2006 625 SMC but a bit worried about buying an older one (has about 11 000miles on it)

recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by RacerAV View Post
    Awesome thread!

Used: ~$5500 New: ~$9500
    Then let's go with one option with an unlimited budget!

What kind of riding do you do? Errands (will be a lot more fun); SOME dirt, SOME track (willing to have a spare wheel set for one or the other)

What kind of riding experience do you have? Plenty of dirt, track, and street riding, from a CR80 to a CBR1000 to a '67 Triumph bobber.

Do you do your own maintenance? I do, but would rather pay someone for big stuff, engine rebuilds or valve adjustments. Depends on cost v. effort. But I CAN do my own.

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? Would like to keep to street bike maintenance intervals ideally, but I know SM bikes aren't that simple. So I am willing to do more simple stuff, but don't want to be rebuilding engines every few months.

Thanks a million everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by B_palmer22 View Post
    You did, I was just really hoping someone else would chime in here because your just going to get the same opinions from me over and over. I would look at 690/625's if i were you. But hey i like orange bikes.
    I'm pretty set on a newish KTM 500EXC, then I'll get the SM parts. I want to have a dirt set up anyway. What's the maintenance like on those bikes, same as a 625 or 690? I've read those are pretty easy on the maintenance schedule. I'll be riding often. Don't want it to nickel and dime me to death.

I'm not a big poster because I got nothing to tell yet without a bike. To change that I'm looking for some tips.

Around 2.500 euros. (If it is worth 3.000 euros, NOT DOLLARS!)

What kind of riding do you do? IE. commuting some highway, all back roads, 50/50 dirt/street, some track, all track
    Daily base to work is back road, to school is highway, and for fun dirt. So Im going to do everything except track racing. Range differs from 10km to 100km on a day.

Only 50cc bikes, but this isn't important. See the extra options below :P

Yes

Few months is okay, but not every few weeks. (Depends on how much time it takes.)

New or used?
    Definitly new

Before going on here I want to explain something about the dutch motor license. Here is how and what. We got 3 different motor licenses. listed below:

A1 max 125cc and 11kw
    A2 max 600cc and 25kw (not sure about the 600cc tough)
    A unlimited/all bikes

How can you get those?

A1 at 18 years -> A2 at 20 years -> A at 22 years
    A2 at 20 years -> A at 22 years
    A at 24 years

I'm currently 18 so I need to limit it to A1/125cc

Maximum CC?
    it is easy to see that I'm allowed to drive 125cc. How much Kw isn't important because I can turn it back. (More is better, I can drive on it after I got my A2 license without buying a new bike)

What brand?
    I do love Yamaha but I heard the 125cc aren't going any higher than 90/100km/h. Also it is to expensive to buy a new one. so it is out of range. Brands like Husqvarna are really good (I do love them because of the chainsaws wich are high quality :P) and aren't as expensive as Yamaha. (Still 4K is over my budget)

There has to be a dealer in the Netherlands!

Anybody got a option?

@taronyu

You can´t really get any new bike for your use with that budges, that is unless bikes in Netherlands are extremely cheap.

Yamaha WR 125 R is a bike you can use on road and a bit off-road, it does 125 km/h, has low maintenance and high quality. Husqvarna has some 125´s as well, but the i´d get the Yamaha though. Keep in mind that the Yamaha is a pretty high bike. If you want power, you need a 2-stroke, 2-strokes has 30% better power/weight ratio than 4-strokes, but needs a lot of love to keep going if you have a high power one (Like KTM exc 125 and Husqvarna CR/WR 125). Husqvarna does have a decent 2-stroke that is pretty reliable, called Husqvarna SMS 125, but it does not come with multi-purpose tires.

Thumbs up best bike

i think the best bike are
    KTM 950 supermoto
    SUZUKI DR-Z400SM
    KTM 640 LC4 supermoto
    YAMAHA XT660X
    KTM DUKE 2
    YAMAHA YZF450
    as per my knowledge

I sold my 2006 WR450 supermoto and picked up a Husky SMR450 06.
    I plan on going regularly to track (Once I get a way to transport the SMR)
    So I want a bike I can just get on and ride, and use te SMR for it's true purpose :ride:
    I don't want to downgrade in power though.

How much do you want to spend? 10k max
    What kind of riding do you do? Backroads, nice short twisties. maybe a one off day trip with the old man
    What kind of riding experience do you have? 4 years road, on/off dirt
    Do you do your own maintenance? What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate.
    Something similar to a DRZ
    WR450 06 Supermoto (stolen) recovered and sold
    Husky SMR450 06

Looking to keep it cheap. Between $2500 and $4500

purely going to be a race machine. Both sm racing and road racing. Seeing i have little dirt experience I will want to take it out to practice a bit at the local mx park.

been road racing for 5 years, riding for on the street for about 10

Yes. Not afraid to drop a motor and not afraid to admit when im in over my head.

Ive been racing Honda road bikes where it was pretty much change the oil once or twice a season depending on how many weekends I did. The rest of the "maintenance" was performance upgrade.

no brand preference. have considered a 2 stroke but there seems to be few riders out there on 2 stroke supermotos.
    "anything is possible, somethings are probable, this is what it is. and i, as i always have, will continue to deal with what is. until it is no more...."
    C. Lee #826, 26
    Gigabikes Racing

Default what should i be looking for?

How much do you want to spend? 3-5k

What kind of riding do you do? commuting, some highway, twisties. (want to do more fire roads,slower speed wheelies)

What kind of riding experience do you have? Started on an '06 Ninja 500, currently ride a '12 Ninja 650

Do you do your own maintenance? Some, and i'm learning every day

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? Low maintenance, I've already got a girlfriend, i don't need something else that's high maintenance

Im a complete noob when it comes to super motos, All i know is that i want something street legal over 250cc but probably less than 600cc.

Default modified vs stock drz 400sm

So I have made up my mind on a drz 400sm for the usual reason. ie. reliability,parts low maintenance ect. I have been keeping an eye on the market around here and it seems like I can get one for between 4-5k. When buying a used dirt bike(motocross) I have always kept in mind some advice I heard a long time ago, find the cleanest stockest bike you can. However coming from a 250 two stroke to a stock drz I fear that it will lack the punch I am looking for.
    For example I am looking at 3 bike right now. One is a totally stock 2008 with 3200 km on it for $4600. A 2009 with the 3x3, jet kit,some full yosh cabon fiber exhaust and a whole bunch of cosmetic stuff including yosh graphics , stobe headlight and some powder coating done to it here and there 8005km $5500. Another 2009 with the 3x3 mod, fmf full exhaust, jet kit, supermoto front fender with 13500km $5100.
    They all look clean and once I spend the money on the bike I think dropping money into mods might not make the wife too happy, although I know the jet kit and 3x3 mod are cheap but that factory exhaust is huge and ugly.
    Thanks any input would be appreciated Cheers just pin it

Will try keep this short. Wife hates bikes so naturally Im buying one First bike. So option A - Look for a tidy drz or option B - 450 exc? Its set up for enduro right now but with road plates. What extra work would it take for sm setup? Just wheels? Gearing too?
    All advice appreciated

Not pushed on price.

Clueless with maintenance.

Using it for street riding 90% of the time

First bike

EXC I seen is spotless with 2 wheelsets(both dirt) and lots of extras

Looking for most fun and least amount of problems

Default What SM shall I buy?

How much do you want to spend? under ?8000

What kind of riding do you do? 5 mile each way commute, country lanes, city riding, going out to have fun

What kind of riding experience do you have? 2 years riding a 125

Do you do your own maintenance? yes

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? anything as long as its not to expensive

In live in the uk and quite like the ktm 690 SM and the wr450f converted to SM

Thanks
    Last edited by southwestsm; 09-28-2013 at 11:10 AM.

As long as the tires the right Size can u put any supermoto tire on any bike ??

~5000$
    Small amount highways possible rare 2-3 hour trip south, On street mainly in town (medium-ish town) & trails. Will be only mode of transportation; Refer to Extra Info.
    None, Looking for first bike.
    I plan on it yes.
    Lower the better but don't really care too much.

Extra Info:
    I'm turning 18 soon and honestly have wanted a bike since 14-15 but in the past year really started getting into it because I'm turning 18 soon (Mom disapproves), at first I really wanted a street bike but realized the real fun is in supermotos IMO. One thing that I would like is cheap-ish insurance & better gas mileage because my Jeep currently gets 10-12 mpg & insurance is high (No tickets, accidents, etc.) I will be selling my jeep (starting to cost more money than I want to spend on it) and my insurance is high/shit gas mileage. So this bike will be my only method of transportation to&from school/work & wherever else I feel like going. I'm leaning more towards the DRZ mainly because I've read they're reliable & my insurance on one from an insurance quote was fairly cheap compared to what it is now, but I thought I'd get some other peoples opinions aswell.

Thanks!

Default Which bike?

How much do you want to spend? 2-5k

What kind of riding do you do? Twisty roads,back lanes.

What kind of riding experience do you have? None on supermotos, Going from Bandit 1200 turbo to supermoto.

Do you do your own maintenance? Yes

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? Any I love a challenge.

Need advice as this will be the first supermoto I purchase & honestly cant make my mind up of which to buy, I like power & looks and of course a front wheel floater.

Thanks in advance guys.

Default What Bike Should I Buy SUPERTHREAD. Do not post this type of topic anywhere e...

Quote Originally Posted by cbiggins View Post
    How much do you want to spend? 2-5k

What kind of riding do you do? Twisty roads,back lanes.

What kind of riding experience do you have? None on supermotos, Going from Bandit 1200 turbo to supermoto.

Do you do your own maintenance? Yes

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? Any I love a challenge.

Need advice as this will be the first supermoto I purchase & honestly cant make my mind up of which to buy, I like power & looks and of course a front wheel floater.

Thanks in advance guys.

I think the budget is a little tight but if you could find a used WR450 near you for $3k you could do the conversion yourself to stay under the $5k limit. But it will be tough considering once you start adding things to the cart it seems to never stop...good hunting
    2007 Husqvarna SM510R...aka my sexy Italian girlfriend

Looking to spend around 8k

Mostly commuting, lots of back roads, some long distance travel, and hoping to get started at the track soon.

6 years of nothing but street riding, i.e. bikes are my only vehicles.

I do almost all of my maintenance myself, with plans to do it all with a second bike to fall back on.

Would prefer a more relaxed maintenance schedule, but so long as I can get at least 1000 miles from the oil, I'll be content.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NakedSaturday View Post
    Looking to spend around 8k

Mostly commuting, lots of back roads, some long distance travel, and hoping to get started at the track soon.

6 years of nothing but street riding, i.e. bikes are my only vehicles.

I do almost all of my maintenance myself, with plans to do it all with a second bike to fall back on.

Would prefer a more relaxed maintenance schedule, but so long as I can get at least 1000 miles from the oil, I'll be content.
    Hey man I couldn't decide what I wanted either but I just purchased a KTM 660 SMC For my first sumo, absolute animal for back lanes & full on torque monster yet still sophisticated when in traffic commuting, still gives me as a speed freak a smile every time I touch the throttle, have a look at KTM 525, 625,640 I'd say 660 but its kick start only (left hand side) you'll need a leg of a mule to start it but my god its worth it, plus if your going to the track & you have that discussion "what do you drive" ah a 660 ktm, it depresses em if they have they're poxy drz's hope this helps.

Items for Sale

Default 2006 KTM SMR450 vs. 2009 Husqvarna SMR510

Around $4500 to $5000

Currently, I have a Aprilia Tuono 1000, which I ride for fun aggresively in the back country and attend 6 to 8 track days a year. The sumo bike I get will be 90% track / 10% street. Looking for a track bike that is steet legal.

I have been riding road sport bikes on and off for years. I have attended a sport bike performance riding school last year and attend 6 to 8 track days a year. Got to the point of getting enough lean angle to drag a knee. NO dirt or sumo experience. Sumo track days are only $25 to $40/day on the weekend compared to $190/day an a weekday in my neck of the woods. Looking for cheaper track days.

Nope. I outsource. However, I am committed to changing the oil and learning to check valves (or might just outsource valves).
    I understand 500 mile oil changes and valve check every 1000 is the norm with the sumo bikes I'm looking at

I've been research a bit. I found a clean 2009 Husky SMR510 for with 1250 miles. The Husky has no sliders, modifications, or saftey wire. Owner has done only oil changes. I just found a relatively clean 2006 KTM SMR450 with 80 hours of track racing. KTM owner is a hard core racing guy, and sport bike track day instructor. He definately seems to know his stuff. Frequent valve checks and just did a valve adjustment. Owner says he changes oil after each race, and has some a top moto shop maintain his equipment. The two bikes asking is within $500 of each other.

So here's my question. 2009 Husky with 1250 regular Joe miles, or 2006 KTM wtih 80 racing hours? How much racing can a KTM motor take? That Husky seems almost new, but KTM's have better reputation from what I can tell.

Thank much!

Default KTM or Suzuki?

How much do you want to spend? 6600$

What kind of riding do you do? Small roads and plenty offroad

What kind of riding experience do you have? Been riding all types of motorcycles over the past 25 years

Do you do your own maintenance? Yes.

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? Not too much, I can ofc change oil and check air filters etc, but im pretty tired about having to check the engine too much.

The two motorcycles i'm thinking off is the Suzuki DRZ 400 and the KTM Exc 525/530.

Thanks for the replies.

-Harald

Quote Originally Posted by xilqy View Post
    How much do you want to spend? 6600$

What kind of riding do you do? Small roads and plenty offroad

What kind of riding experience do you have? Been riding all types of motorcycles over the past 25 years

Do you do your own maintenance? Yes.

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? Not too much, I can ofc change oil and check air filters etc, but im pretty tired about having to check the engine too much.

The two motorcycles i'm thinking off is the Suzuki DRZ 400 and the KTM Exc 525/530.

Thanks for the replies.

-Harald
    I would either go with a DRZ400 or a WR450F. Of course if you want to have 17's, the DRZ comes with them from the factory.
    I may be biased, but if you want a bike that can do it all, while having more power than the DRZ, the WR is a really good choice. I rarely see any WR owners complain about maintenance.
    A CRF450X is a good choice as well, might have a little more power than the WR, but they do have issues with the stock valve setup.

What bikes have you owned in the past? Have you considered the KTM 690?
    Project Va-Jay-Jay Magnet! 2003 WR450F
    http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...t!-2003-WR450F

Default KTM 690 SMC vs Husky 510 SMR vs Berg FS570

Looking for a bike to mess around town once or twice a week. Trackdays will be limited and commuting would also be limited to maybe one day a week - short commute of no more than 20km round trip.

KTM was my first choice because its probably the most suited to my use but a new one is ~$10,500 and there are literally no 2nd hand ones to be found....believe me, I've looked.

Saw a Husky 510smr for sale, but what really excited me was a 2010 Berg FS570.....3,900km / 69 hours for $6,000

What are your opinions on the berg? I know oil needs to be changed every 15 or so hours which would mean every 8 weeks or so but I reckon I could live with that

Just buy the berg and never look back. Those things are super rare now. What is your riding experience? The berg is supposed to be a handful so I've heard.

Items for Sale

+2 on the Berg, at that price.
    Don't worry about maintenance or parts availability, either. They're pretty reliable and since a whole whack of the parts are shared with KTM, you won't have problems finding replacement parts.
    The 690 is probably a better street-only tard (better on the highway, longer service intervals) but the Berg handles waaay better, is more fun at the track, and is, I dare say, a lot faster.
    And this I know from personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by T-rex View Post
    +2 on the Berg, at that price.
    Don't worry about maintenance or parts availability, either. They're pretty reliable and since a whole whack of the parts are shared with KTM, you won't have problems finding replacement parts.
    The 690 is probably a better street-only tard (better on the highway, longer service intervals) but the Berg handles waaay better, is more fun at the track, and is, I dare say, a lot faster.
    And this I know from personal experience.
    Yip I think thats what I'm going to do. Trying to arrange to go see the Berg in the flesh this weekend. Fingers crossed

also see this
    07 SXV 550
    08 KTM 690 SMC

Every new person here should have to acknowledge this thread before they have the chance to post a thread about whether or not they should buy a 450SMR and will it do 140 down the highway without blowing up. Great flow chart.

Default What Bike Should I Buy SUPERTHREAD. Do not post this type of topic anywhere e...

Not sure why my posts are freaking out! Tapatalk is awesome but sometimes gets mega dicked up.

Default DRZ400SM or 2010 Husky SMR450

Looking to buy first supermoto bike. I have been riding for 30+ years (sport bikes, motocross, dual sports) and am comfortable doing maintenance. The drz is brand new and smr has 2000 miles. I rode drz and liked the feel (little underpowered). I haven't rode the smr because it is 4 hours away. The owner of the smr had the power up kit installed at 1000 miles. He said it still seems underpowered. That worries me. Is there something wrong with it or did the dealer forget something? I will be commuting 15 miles each way to work on this bike. I am open to any advice/recommendations. Most people around here have drzs because the closest husky dealer is 2 hours away. Thanks

Need more details, year for the Husky, is it a 450 or 510? My $.02 is if you don't mind maintenance, get the Husky, hands down better in every way except maintenance schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by motoshniper View Post
    Need more details, year for the Husky, is it a 450 or 510? My $.02 is if you don't mind maintenance, get the Husky, hands down better in every way except maintenance schedule.
    It was a 2010 Husky 450, but it sold. I am looking at a 2008 Husky SMR450 now. It has 4000 miles and they want $5500. That seems way too high to me. I am also test driving the DRZ again today. I am a smaller guy so I am thinking that the DRZ with a pipe and jet kit would get me the power I want.

That is too high for an 08, I wouldn't pay more than $4500 but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by motoshniper View Post
    That is too high for an 08, I wouldn't pay more than $4500 but that's just me.
    +1 $5500 is high unless it has some High Dollar mods or something. Those are good miles for a 2008 though.
    2007 RXV550SM/2007 KTM 690SM
    NO REMORSE / NO REGRET Previous Supermotos: 2008 SM510R

Quote Originally Posted by exit90a View Post
    +1 $5500 is high unless it has some High Dollar mods or something. Those are good miles for a 2008 though.
    They would have to be high dollar because as far as I'm concerned mods don't add value unless they are really expensive carbon rims or expensive braking kit.

Default crf450x or wr450f FI?

I am pretty sure I just sold my DRZ400SM. The DRZ was a beast with a lot of goodies from Eddie Sisneros, but its just a turd at 5280' in Denver. I have been riding for most of my life, experience isn't an issue and I can probably do my own maintenance, but not looking for a maintenance hog.

Looking at either a 2012 WR450f or a 2009 or newer CRF450x. I plan on tarding it out, and having 2 sets of wheels, would like something for both commuting/rallying around town and playing on the trails. Prefer to spend under $6k.

I have worked for Honda and Suzuki when I was going through college and HS (that was 13 years ago). I have never owned blue except for jet skis.

Anyone have had both? pros cons? Opinions?

I'm hoping to spend around $6,000, but would have to be getting a solid road-ready bike for that price.

I've had a GSX-R 750 for a few years now (and put about 12k miles on it), so I'd say I'm fairly experienced.

Originally a DRZ400SM seemed like the easy answer, but I love powerful bikes and read that they're low on power. I'd really like something that's going to be pretty quick. Something that will wheelie on a whim.

My riding style will be mostly city riding and urban exploration. I think I'd like something that will climb some stairs and fun city things.

I'd also like to do some track days, so faster is better.

I'm okay with maintenance, but less is better.

Basically, I want something light and fast for some urban dirt biking, essentially. I figure that taking a race bike (WR, CRF) and converting that to street is the cheapest way to accomplish this. But, I'm open to suggestions!

Default what should i get???

looking to pick up a husky 510 or 610. been riding for 10 yrs, dirt n street. This will be mainly for city miles but would like to be able to take it on the freeway.

im aware that 2008-2010 were EFI which i think is better, correct? EFI would prevent issues with changing altitude, bogging,avoiding reed adjustment, correct?

i think a 610 would be better for the freeway power but are harder to find. Would it be o.k to get a 510 and lower the teeth/sprocket ratio to get more high end, or would that still put too much strain on the motor?

thanks in advance

I ride with a guy that had his 510 geared out and it ran down the highway fine. No complications at all. I think it had like 7k on it when he sold it. If you want PM exit90a I'm sure he'll tell you anything you want to know.
    07 SXV 550
    08 KTM 690 SMC

Default ktm 400

http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/4477003554.html

l've been looking to get into the supermoto community for the past two years and I feel that this summer might be it. Im commuting 120 miles a day for work and gas is climbing. I've found this ktm 400 for sale and I know its cheap, but im wondering what anyone thinks of it. Im new to motorcycle mechanics but I can learn quickly. Any advice?

-6500 CAD

-Some highway, mostly street some dirt and backroads

-Have rode a dirt bike countless number of times

-Depends if i can learn.

-Doesn't matter would prefer longer

I am 5'7 225lbs

Cheers!
    Last edited by Bullock93; 07-13-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullock93 View Post
    -6500 CAD

-Some highway, mostly street some dirt and backroads

-Have rode a dirt bike countless number of times

-Depends if i can learn.

-Doesn't matter would prefer longer

I am 5'7 225lbs

Cheers!
    Either a DRZ400SM or WR450F. The drz is good all around. Enough power to get you in trouble, but still reliable.

Then comes the WR450F. More powerfull than the DRZ, but still quite reliable for a 450. I love mine. for 6500 you could get either of those in pretty good shape.

If you have ridden 450's or 250's before, I would get the WR for a more comparable throttle response and power.

Welcome to SMJ by the way!
    Project Va-Jay-Jay Magnet! 2003 WR450F
    http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...t!-2003-WR450F

Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast