SuperMoto Junkie banner

What Bike Should I Buy SUPERTHREAD. Do not post this type of topic anywhere else!

46K views 117 replies 58 participants last post by  och 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Starting a What bike should i buy super thread to help clean things up a bit. Please be as detailed as possible so the other forum members can help you out. Also please stay as close to this format as possible to keep it neat.

How much do you want to spend?

What kind of riding do you do? IE. commuting some highway, all back roads, 50/50 dirt/street, some track, all track

What kind of riding experience do you have?

Do you do your own maintenance?

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate?

#112 ·
2005 KTM 625 SMC- good or bad?

I'm looking at buying a 2005 KTM 625 SMC with 16000 miles. I've already got a 1995 KTM 620, so I'm well aware of the shaking and vibration issues.

Are there any unusual maintenance or known problems with a 2005 625smc that I should be aware of?

Thanks for any input.

#115 ·
Hello! I'm new around here. I'm trying to decide between a KTM 525 exc motard and a Husaberg fs650e. Both are 2004, similar condition and are the same price. I will pretty much only use it for driving to the local road race (not sm/kart) track and doing intermediate group track days and the occasional supersingle race (though I'm slow compared to those guys). It's a relatively small technical track.

I don't mind the service intervals and the bike won't be used for commuting as I have other bikes for that. This is my first supermoto bike after a lifetime on sportbikes. I'm 178cm (5'10"ish) and 70kg (155lbs.).

Which one would fit my needs better? Ktm 525 exc or Husaberg fs650e?

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#116 ·
Hi I am 16 and am looking for a decent first supermoto, I am aware that I am legally obligated to ride a bike with no more than a 50cc engine so i will probably wait till i am 19 before i buy one, I will probably be looking at high mileage low maintenance. I am no stranger to bikes having raced DH for a while. Realistically I will be using the bike mostly on roads. Thanks for reading!

#118 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to the site, and just started looking into Supermoto bikes, looking for some suggestions on which one to consider. I currently own a small cruiser, a Suzuki Savage, and I absolutely love. It only weighs 380lbs so it is very easy to handle both fast and slow, it has great low end torque, and it is very comfortable. I am a tall rider, so I had my seat raised to about 32" from the stock 28", so in a sense it is a lot like the Supermotos - tall riding position, a lot of low end torque, and very light weight.

I go riding with a group of friends most of whom ride naked and sport bikes. My little Savage keeps up with them well in the twisties, but I am looking for something with overall more oomph. I only started reading up on Supermotos a couple hours ago, and came across this site, so I'll be grateful for any input. My requirements are as follows.

• Must be street legal.
  • Must have sport tires as we don't go offroad.
  • Must be light, preferably no more than my Savage at 380lbs, perhaps less?
  • Must be able to do 80mph on the highways comfortably. My Savage is rated for 85mph top speed, but it reaches 80mph effortlessly.
  • Should be reasonably comfortable on long rides for a big rider, I'm 6'4 at 230lbs.

So far I was looking at the Suzuki DR-Z400SM and the KTM 690 SMC-R. My concern with the DRZ is it may be underpowered? The SMC-R looks great on all fronts, but the price is quite steep.

I'm open for all suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.