SuperMoto Junkie banner

Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike!

950K views 2K replies 446 participants last post by  giorgi 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Recently it has become a known fact that there is a state that will allow you to mail in your information and they will mail you a plate along with a street legal title. I know that I have answered quite a few PM's concerning this question and up until recently I have been able to help some, but others, not so much. However, the information posted in this thread is quite the game changer! The state of South Dakota to getting our beloved sumo's legal in states that try to ruin the fun. For those of you who's DMV/Registration office determines a bike street legal status/ability by the VIN I'm not too sure how this would work, but if they go by the title...GAME ON! This information is coming straight from a member on here (who wishes to remain anonymous) who has successfully completed this process. Anybody else that has done this please post on here and either share your success story or give us a heads up on something to watch out for.

To get started, you will need to do the following:

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E1792V1-FourWheelAllTerrainVehicleAffidavit.pdf

-you will need to fill out this form
-leave title number blank
-year, make, model
-put the name of who ever installed accessories to make the bike street legal (This can be your name)
-check all the boxes including 200cc (This is just confirming that the bike is 200cc or more)
-this form must be notarized, so don't sign it until you are in front of one

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secu...licationForMotorVehicleTitle&Registration.pdf

-fill out this form as well
-you will not need the date
-don't check any boxes in section I, section II, or section III
-fill in first box (your name)
-leave type of ownership and customer type blank
-identification# (needs to be your social security number)
-skip down and put in your address

section IV
-vin#
-put in make, model,
-body type- MC
-vehicle code- MC
-year and CC
-skip down to section V
-Just fill in purchase date

Don't need to put in anything else just sign and date the bottom

Besides these two forms, you'll need to send in the title or MSO and a copy of your driver's license. If the title isn't in your name you will have to call and find out what other forms you need (605)394-2163. You will also need to attach a note (preferably typed) that includes your name, email, phone number, and notate that you would like to pay by credit card over phone or internet and to contact you when they have a total price and are ready for payment.

Mail both forms, title/MSO, copy of Drivers license to:

Office of the Pennington County Treasurer
Pennington County courthouse
315 Saint Joseph St Suite 214
Rapid City SD 57701-2894

Additional Info.

Serial number is the same as the vin# (should be 17 characters long depending on year of bike) and you will need to send in the original title (they will be keeping your original title and sending you a new South Dakota title).

The fee is: $58.75 and a $3 credit card fee if applicable. You should receive your new title within 30 days.

note
Mlawler1 brought up a good point. Make sure to use your home address even though you're registering in S. Dakota. States only require that your bike is registered to you at your home address (so don't try and make a fake S. Dakota address). Use your address and your local police can't do anything because you're licensed and registered to your home address...just through a different state :D. Just make sure that the registration matches the information on your driver's license. (y)

See less See more
#130 ·
So I've got a 2002 drz400E, that I've been riding on the street here in Hollywood,fl since 2002, with a tag zip tied to my book bag (asking for tickets) and tags from other bikes I own ,(just didn't care)never was pulled on that infraction or others , even been to deals gap 15 times (tag on book bag)and no issues there ,that all said , don't ask why am I going to do this S/D tag n reg deal. Maybe it's time,lol,,,,, so got a (off road only)title in my name and mailing in ASAP , talked to a women in S/D with the #provided above , and she said , no problem ,mail all that's stated above and I'll email or call to let you know I've got all your paperwork and we're handling this reg n tag for you and cost to pay with C/C, if this go's as many have said I'll let you all know ,also my local tag agency here is willing to issue me reg n tag from Fl , showed her the S/D paperwork and was fine with it and said as soon as you get you S/D reg n tag to come back and she'll take care of it ,soooooooo here I go, wish me luck!!!!!

#131 ·
it's not a hard process. im S/D plated in central CA with my XR650R. took less than a week to get shit mailed, and plates back to me.
FOLLOW the instructions exactly!
get insurance! i have PROGRESSIVE, just the basic, since its a tard and its not my S1000RR, if i drop the tard, no big deal. i drop the BMW, $$$ ouch!

my entire process cost me $52.04! thats it. plus $75.00 A YEAR for insurance.

pretty cheap reassurance knowing if you get pulled over your not getting towed.

Do your paperwork on a friday, have plates by weds-thursday.

#132 ·
So I am going to do the SD title for my bike and my wifes CRF150R. We bought my wife's 150r from a private seller and he didn't have the MSO, although I do know the dealership the bike was originally purchased from, can I go there and have them issue me an MSO? Another question, does the MSO have to be in my name? I have the MSO for my YZ and it is signed off to me, but my name isn't on the front will that cause any issues?

#134 ·
Ok update, get my tag and reg in 7 days, WOW!!!!!
12 years off riding this thing with different tags, done deal, 55.37$ what a deal, this is no bullshit, it's to simple not to do it, next my local tag agency to tranfer to FL tag n reg!!!

#140 ·
Thanks to everyone here for supporting the state of SD! Your plates will help pay for some new roads around here. I am from SD and have known that you can register out of state for SD plates. I went down to Cabo San Lucas one time and saw a ton of cars down there with SD plates. I knew it was more than a coincidence that there were that many people from SD in one area at the same time. Once I got home I figured out why. There was a Harley down there with SD plates but the tags expired a year or so prior. I am guessing the guy got plates and called it good.

As for the person worried about their plates starting with MX, SD used M for the first digit on motorcycle plates and works their way through. It started with MA00001 or whatever and is now at MX. I will be getting my SD plates within a couple weeks.

#141 ·
I mailed in all the paper work in the beginning of the week for my crf450r. Been waiting patiently(not really)all week for a phone call to make the credit card payment and nothing. Just happened to check my junk email and it was in there! Said to call to make payment, so glad I checked ALL my email. I called and the lady was very nice but my only concern was she still called it an ATV? Of course I said motorcycle and doubled checked that it was for the street and I was looking for a plate. Thanks fully she said yes, so I should be getting it next week!

#153 ·
I just finished my wife's CRF150R and will probably put Crf250r on the paperwork. My YZ450 will be first though.

#154 ·
Just a thought guys but this is an open internet forum board that anyone can see. I would be wary of openly discussing fraud and misrepresentation etc. All it takes is one dick to send a link to the wrong person to get things screwed up for everyone. I hate govt regulations on stupid things like this, but it's the world we live in and openly thumbing your nose at the powers that be may be seen as a challenge that forces action. Just my 2 cents. I'm not the internet police so do what you want.

#159 · (Edited)
My final update to this plating process

Just letting you guys know that my South Dakota Title arrived in the mail last week.

I managed to get to my local DMV today (South Carolina). I transferred the title and registration over to SC with no issues. I now have a SC plate.

Job complete
Thanks again Crash!

*Also, SD does not require for you to send back the plate after the switch over. They told me I can do whatever I want with it. I get to keep it, cool eh!

#160 ·
Just letting you guys know that my South Dakota Title arrived in the mail last week.

I managed to get to my local DMV today (South Carolina). I transferred the title and registration over to SC with no issues. I now have a SC plate.

Job complete
Thanks again Crash!

*Also, SD does not require for you to send back the plate after the switch over. They told me I can do whatever I want with it. I get to keep it, cool eh!
Now that is a success story!