SuperMoto Junkie banner

Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike!

950K views 2K replies 446 participants last post by  giorgi 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Recently it has become a known fact that there is a state that will allow you to mail in your information and they will mail you a plate along with a street legal title. I know that I have answered quite a few PM's concerning this question and up until recently I have been able to help some, but others, not so much. However, the information posted in this thread is quite the game changer! The state of South Dakota to getting our beloved sumo's legal in states that try to ruin the fun. For those of you who's DMV/Registration office determines a bike street legal status/ability by the VIN I'm not too sure how this would work, but if they go by the title...GAME ON! This information is coming straight from a member on here (who wishes to remain anonymous) who has successfully completed this process. Anybody else that has done this please post on here and either share your success story or give us a heads up on something to watch out for.

To get started, you will need to do the following:

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E1792V1-FourWheelAllTerrainVehicleAffidavit.pdf

-you will need to fill out this form
-leave title number blank
-year, make, model
-put the name of who ever installed accessories to make the bike street legal (This can be your name)
-check all the boxes including 200cc (This is just confirming that the bike is 200cc or more)
-this form must be notarized, so don't sign it until you are in front of one

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secu...licationForMotorVehicleTitle&Registration.pdf

-fill out this form as well
-you will not need the date
-don't check any boxes in section I, section II, or section III
-fill in first box (your name)
-leave type of ownership and customer type blank
-identification# (needs to be your social security number)
-skip down and put in your address

section IV
-vin#
-put in make, model,
-body type- MC
-vehicle code- MC
-year and CC
-skip down to section V
-Just fill in purchase date

Don't need to put in anything else just sign and date the bottom

Besides these two forms, you'll need to send in the title or MSO and a copy of your driver's license. If the title isn't in your name you will have to call and find out what other forms you need (605)394-2163. You will also need to attach a note (preferably typed) that includes your name, email, phone number, and notate that you would like to pay by credit card over phone or internet and to contact you when they have a total price and are ready for payment.

Mail both forms, title/MSO, copy of Drivers license to:

Office of the Pennington County Treasurer
Pennington County courthouse
315 Saint Joseph St Suite 214
Rapid City SD 57701-2894

Additional Info.

Serial number is the same as the vin# (should be 17 characters long depending on year of bike) and you will need to send in the original title (they will be keeping your original title and sending you a new South Dakota title).

The fee is: $58.75 and a $3 credit card fee if applicable. You should receive your new title within 30 days.

note
Mlawler1 brought up a good point. Make sure to use your home address even though you're registering in S. Dakota. States only require that your bike is registered to you at your home address (so don't try and make a fake S. Dakota address). Use your address and your local police can't do anything because you're licensed and registered to your home address...just through a different state :D. Just make sure that the registration matches the information on your driver's license. (y)

See less See more
#172 ·
plates

guys in kalif must remember that by law u are required to reregister a car, bike or boat within 10 days. you could get away with it for a while, but do realize that it could b impounded. esp if they see you more then once and have had a warning or ticket. it is easier to go throu AAA then DMV. i know that much.

#173 ·
I think I just converted another person to supermoto. Guy down the street heard me on my WR450SM and asked how I did it, so I showed/sent him this thread. Thinking about selling mine for some extra $$$ and then converting/plating a newer one through SD.

#174 ·
California questions???????

1-Has anyone sucessfully transferred the SD title/Reg to California & recieved a cali plate?

2-Was there a bike inspection involved? If there was how did you get past not having a CARB sticker? (F-ing Tree Huggers:headshake!)

3-I am under the impression that CALI determines streetability by the Vin#. In which case the SD--> CA transfer trick would not work.(is this true)?

4-My bike(03' CRF450R) is Reg'd/Titled in CALI as Off-Highway-Vehicle (RED-Stickered). Would that cause a Problem if I went CA(OHV)->SD->CA(street)?

5-What does the SD title say, If it says anything like Dirt/ATV/Off-Road Use I can guarantee me or anyone else WILL NOT Recieve a CA plate!

6-I live in a small town(in the Mojave Desert)with few cops so I would definatley be picked out after a while with a SD Plate so that's not an option for me.

7-I have never ridin' supermoto only desert/woods Off-Road, I wanna be able to ride to work 3mi through town, then get off and hit our endless desert singletrack

#180 ·
1-Has anyone sucessfully transferred the SD title/Reg to California & recieved a cali plate?

2-Was there a bike inspection involved? If there was how did you get past not having a CARB sticker? (F-ing Tree Huggers:headshake!)

3-I am under the impression that CALI determines streetability by the Vin#. In which case the SD--> CA transfer trick would not work.(is this true)?

4-My bike(03' CRF450R) is Reg'd/Titled in CALI as Off-Highway-Vehicle (RED-Stickered). Would that cause a Problem if I went CA(OHV)->SD->CA(street)?

5-What does the SD title say, If it says anything like Dirt/ATV/Off-Road Use I can guarantee me or anyone else WILL NOT Recieve a CA plate!

6-I live in a small town(in the Mojave Desert)with few cops so I would definatley be picked out after a while with a SD Plate so that's not an option for me.

7-I have never ridin' supermoto only desert/woods Off-Road, I wanna be able to ride to work 3mi through town, then get off and hit our endless desert singletrack
Idk if this would help. I'm seriously considering buying an 08 wr450 and supermotoing it myself from my recent experience importing my 04 WR450SM from WA to San Diego, CA.

All I had to do is show up and fill out one form and bring my WA street legal title. The guy was very helpful and just told me to list the bike as a gift instead of buying it so I wont be taxed on the "$750 purchase" :lol: . Anyways, I got a temporary plate and just have to go back for an inspection. According to Baja Designs: http://www.bajadesigns.com/docs/tech-info/ca_dmv_registration_packet.pdf it is just lighting/horn/battery life. I'm not concerned at all. I just listed my bike as 8800 mi and had no problem. They straight up asked me if it had over 7,500 because that is the cutoff.

You should be just fine plating it in SD. I'm confident it will work even in CA.

#177 ·
Total time from sending paperwork off to receiving plates/registration=6 business days. You know what this means....

#195 ·
hey guys. I have a ? its kind of been asked but not really answered. if I do all this for my 2011 yz450f that I want to use a dual sport and I get a title back that say dirt or atv and not road, how's that going to fly if I get pulled over and it kicks back as an atv registration? in NY my dealer told me when I bought my bike there's no more titles issued and the registration is the only proof of ownership I went to the dmv for a title and my vin kicked backed it as a non-titled vehicle. I have a NY plate now as dose my two quads but the reg says atv. if I ran that on the street and got pulled over id be in the back seat of a crown vic. just kinda of wondering if its the same type of reg as an atv or will it be and actual street motorcycle title? I see some came back both ways.