Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike!
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike!

Hybrid View

Default Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike!

Recently it has become a known fact that there is a state that will allow you to mail in your information and they will mail you a plate along with a street legal title. I know that I have answered quite a few PM's concerning this question and up until recently I have been able to help some, but others, not so much. However, the information posted in this thread is quite the game changer! The state of South Dakota to getting our beloved sumo's legal in states that try to ruin the fun. For those of you who's DMV/Registration office determines a bike street legal status/ability by the VIN I'm not too sure how this would work, but if they go by the title...GAME ON! This information is coming straight from a member on here (who wishes to remain anonymous) who has successfully completed this process. Anybody else that has done this please post on here and either share your success story or give us a heads up on something to watch out for.

To get started, you will need to do the following:

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secur...eAffidavit.pdf

-you will need to fill out this form
    -leave title number blank
    -year, make, model
    -put the name of who ever installed accessories to make the bike street legal (This can be your name)
    -check all the boxes including 200cc (This is just confirming that the bike is 200cc or more)
    -this form must be notarized, so don't sign it until you are in front of one

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secur...gistration.pdf

-fill out this form as well
    -you will not need the date
    -don't check any boxes in section I, section II, or section III
    -fill in first box (your name)
    -leave type of ownership and customer type blank
    -identification# (needs to be your social security number)
    -skip down and put in your address

section IV
    -vin#
    -put in make, model,
    -body type- MC
    -vehicle code- MC
    -year and CC
    -skip down to section V
    -Just fill in purchase date

***Don't need to put in anything else just sign and date the bottom***

Besides these two forms, you'll need to send in the title or MSO and a copy of your driver's license. If the title isn't in your name you will have to call and find out what other forms you need (605)394-2163. You will also need to attach a note (preferably typed) that includes your name, email, phone number, and notate that you would like to pay by credit card over phone or internet and to contact you when they have a total price and are ready for payment.

Mail both forms, title/MSO, copy of Drivers license to:

Office of the Pennington County Treasurer
    Pennington County courthouse
    315 Saint Joseph St Suite 214
    Rapid City SD 57701-2894

Additional Info.

Serial number is the same as the vin# (should be 17 characters long depending on year of bike) and you will need to send in the original title (they will be keeping your original title and sending you a new South Dakota title).

The fee is: $58.75 and a $3 credit card fee if applicable. You should receive your new title within 30 days.

***note***
    Mlawler1 brought up a good point. Make sure to use your home address even though you're registering in S. Dakota. States only require that your bike is registered to you at your home address (so don't try and make a fake S. Dakota address). Use your address and your local police can't do anything because you're licensed and registered to your home address...just through a different state . Just make sure that the registration matches the information on your driver's license.
    Last edited by crash279; 12-11-2013 at 04:36 AM.

Appreciate the info crash! Guess imma have to look for a wr with an off-road only title

Quote Originally Posted by Dsilver1007 View Post
    Appreciate the info crash! Guess imma have to look for a wr with an off-road only title

I am extremely happy to read about moltivite.. I need to read about this completely..
    I'll share this info to my friends too..
    Alina125

Default cali

Has anyone recently gone this route to get a dirt bike plated in S.D. and then transferred it to California and received a California plate?

Quote Originally Posted by crash279 View Post
    do you think it would work with a 2007 husqvarna tc450

Quote Originally Posted by cameron.s View Post
    do you think it would work with a 2007 husqvarna tc450
    yup

how hard do you think it would be ?

Quote Originally Posted by cameron.s View Post
    how hard do you think it would be ?
    Just as easy as everybody else's stories in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnzrdvsn View Post
    Has anyone recently gone this route to get a dirt bike plated in S.D. and then transferred it to California and received a California plate?
    Not that this amounts to much, but I have heard of some recent success stories with newer bikes getting plates out there. I think the biggest obstacle is that you can get a plate for an already street legal/plated bike as long as it has at least 7,500 miles on it...

So then you just ride the bike around with a South Dakota plate on? Or try to transfer it?? Keep it registered even though I have a PA address? I have a dirt only cr500af with the title in my name and I'd love to make it happen. Its originally a 1999 cr250.
    2003 Wr450f Sumo
    2004 Buell Xb12s
    2001 Cr500AF Dirt

I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death-DeltaOne

Quote Originally Posted by WRSumo450 View Post
    So then you just ride the bike around with a South Dakota plate on? Or try to transfer it?? Keep it registered even though I have a PA address? I have a dirt only cr500af with the title in my name and I'd love to make it happen. Its originally a 1999 cr250.
    Probably the best idea would be to transfer it over to your respective state. However, if they don't wanna play ball then S. Dakota plates will have to do...

Default plates

calif required you to plate a car, bike etc within 30 days. be interesting to see how long a person could keep a out of state bike in calif without getting pulled over. not saying the SD plate won't work in calif

Quote Originally Posted by huskyfrk View Post
    calif required you to plate a car, bike etc within 30 days. be interesting to see how long a person could keep a out of state bike in calif without getting pulled over. not saying the SD plate won't work in calif
    I know that one thing you can do is bring a bike from out of state (or titled/plated that way) and transfer it over to Cali. The only technicality is the mileage.

Items for Sale

Not that this amounts to much, but I have heard of some recent success stories with newer bikes getting plates out there. I think the biggest obstacle is that you can get a plate for an already street legal/plated bike as long as it has at least 7,500 miles on it...
    As I have recently discovered this is not true. If it has a "3" or "C" in the 8th digit of the VIN it will not pass inspection. In other words... Red stickerd bikes. The 09wr450 I just picked up has a "Y" so it should be good to bring into California. Will report with both my 04 and 09 when I get the off road titles back from CA DMV.

This is ONLY for CA DMV too. My red stickerd 04 wr450 is listed as "49 state street legal" according to CHP.
    Last edited by ChrisCross; 09-16-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by th3_d0c View Post
    You Sir, need to read into it more.

But basically, SD's laws allow people to register their vehicles in this state without living in it. There is nothing wrong with registering it there - technically - the state you live in might have a problem with it though.

It is mainly used for full-time RVers, who are technically nomads and don't have a home, so they can register their RV in SD and travel all over without paying taxes.
    ^^^true story

Just sent off my forms.
    Hopefully it will not take too long!

in South Dakota they will also register ATV's I wonder if they would send me a plate for my yfz450??

Quote Originally Posted by jsromeo288 View Post
    in South Dakota they will also register ATV's I wonder if they would send me a plate for my yfz450??
    Yes they will!

Default Plate

the mileage clause is for calif, it is for bikes from 2007 to present. older bikes don't have to worry about. I did find a loophole and got my 2010 smr 450 husky registered , it only had under 500 miles on it. !!

Title within 30 days.

$58.75 and a $3 credit card fee.

Title within 30 days.

$58.75 and a $3 credit card fee.
    I will have a nice pretty tag and no freaking wheels!

If anyone is even thinking about getting talon cush hubs, order them now and you may get them by the time you decide on the sumo.

Default Title?

Do you have to have a title? What if you have no title or mso? I went around this problem in GA with a bonded title. I would rather not fork up the $100 for the bonded title next time.

I don't know for a fact, but making an educated assumption I would have to say yes. Otherwise it could be a stolen bike that you are trying to clean and get put into your name. On something like that I would suggest you cal S. Dakota directly and figure out what they require. If you do post up what they tell you so anyone else in your situation can get the info.
    2010 Yamaha WR250X SOLD
    2011 Triumph Speed Triple SE SOLD
    2012 Yamaha WR450F
    2014 Yamaha FZ09

Quote Originally Posted by organ donor View Post
    I don't know for a fact, but making an educated assumption I would have to say yes. Otherwise it could be a stolen bike that you are trying to clean and get put into your name. On something like that I would suggest you cal S. Dakota directly and figure out what they require. If you do post up what they tell you so anyone else in your situation can get the info.
    10-4 I'll give them a call on Mon and see. Still not that big of a deal for $100+50ish. Hell I paid $230ish for just my tag and title not including the bonded title for the exc... Damn 6% tax for used vehicles! I won't even get started.
    2009 Dorsoduro 750
    2003 450exc
    2010 WR250x(sold)
    2001 YZ426R plated(sold)
    2003 DRZ400(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by jsromeo288 View Post
    Hopefully in about 30 days i will have a success story as well as a plate for this monster!!! sending my paperwork out today i will let you guys know if it works, i think its a bit of a long shot myself.
    I don't know if they title dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Mlawler1 View Post
    success story. got my plate and tittle for klx450. make sure to use your home address even though registering in sd. states only require that your bike is registered to you at your home address so that you don;t have to pay extra property taxes. so don't try and make a fake sd address. just use your address and your local police can't do anything to you. you are licensed and registered to your home address just through a different state. as long as the registration matches your dl
    Very awesome info.! Thanks mlawler!

Which also brings up another point...if you buy a bike and register it in S. Dakota you don't have to pay taxes on it do you?

Which also brings up another point...if you buy a bike and register it in S. Dakota you don't have to pay taxes on it do you?
    Nope

Thanks to Crash my 2012 WR450 has SD plates on it now. I followed the directions above, also called the number to the office and asked questions which they were very helpful. I sent a check for 300 even and received a check back for around 30 bucks so it wasn't cheap. Not sure right now if I am gonna try to switch over to my own state or just keep as is. Only flaw that I noticed was that even though I put MC for type on the application the new title from SD states DIRT. No mention anywhere on it about FOUO.

So now that it is confirmed that you can register a bike in SD the true test is to see how easy it is to transfer the registration to the state you live in. We all know that you can ride around with a SD tag but eventually the law will get you for not have it registered in the state you reside in.

Quote Originally Posted by th3_d0c View Post
    Hpark, did you ever call them up? I have a bill of sale but no title and I was wondering the same thing. I'll give them a call a little later today if you haven't.
    I may try this as well for my track bike just for the hell of it. Might make it worth more when I try to sell it. I know in ny if you buy and atv/sled/ bike with no title you can just take the bill of sale and a pencil tracing of the vin to the dmv and they will register it as an off road vehicle. Maybe south dakota does the same just for motorcycles? If not I will just do the ny thing first then send that to south dakota
    2001 yz426f street NY plated
    2010 yz450f track
    2004 yz450f dirt (Blown up)
    2003 ttr90 pit
    2005 Buell xb9sx

Quote Originally Posted by LMW1970 View Post
    That's a good story until Johnny Law runs your tag. I know in NC and in many other states when the cops run your tag it will show when the bike was purchased and if has been a good while that story might not fly. But hey, you gotta come up with something. Most states will give you a grace period to get it switched over. Just trying to make sure everyone, maybe including myself, is not wasting there time and money on something that is too good to be true. Based on organ donors response sounds like he's good to go, but some of the others may run into problems down the road.
    The address will show as your current address that is on your DL. The bike is registered LEGALLY out of state.

I never said it wasn't a legal registration, I just don't know if it's going to be legal in other states. I bought a 1936 Ford truck one time with a valid Kentucky title. Once back at my local DMV it was a nightmare, I had to have it bonded with a whole new VIN number. Took 6 months to get my NC title and that was with a vehicle that had been around for 75 years. I guess I see a couple of issues. First is having a SD registration with your current address from another state. Law enforcement will pick up on that after a while and a ticket will soon follow for not having it registered in the state you live in. Second is in scott525's post he said his title has ATV for body type and in dcflw's post he says that his SD title has DIRT for type. Personnaly I don't think that some states are going to accept that. Just something to think about.

I never said it wasn't a legal registration, I just don't know if it's going to be legal in other states. I bought a 1936 Ford truck one time with a valid Kentucky title. Once back at my local DMV it was a nightmare, I had to have it bonded with a whole new VIN number. Took 6 months to get my NC title and that was with a vehicle that had been around for 75 years. I guess I see a couple of issues. First is having a SD registration with your current address from another state. Law enforcement will pick up on that after a while and a ticket will soon follow for not having it registered in the state you live in. Second is in scott525's post he said his title has ATV for body type and in dcflw's post he says that his SD title has DIRT for type. Personnaly I don't think that some states are going to accept that. Just something to think about.
    But it is legally registered to your current address so I don't know what kind of recourse the cops would have.

Well for mine here in Ga it should be a non issue. Granted I live in a small town.
    The main hurdle I had with the MSO is that it said off road only.

This does not have any of that language on it. Actually it has nothing other than a desciption of said vehicle.

The lady at the DMV did all she could when I took the MSO in originally. My buddys cop did all he could when he inspected it. It failed only due to not having a NSHTA? plate on the neck. I could have taken one off a salvage bike and it would have passed. Didnt ask on the paperwork what was on it,only if it had one. Hell,even the cop was telling me to put a different bikes tag on the bike that as long as it was a Yami no one would know!

So, I feel like this was a great option. I REALLY wont know until I walk into the DMV but why rush it. I am perfectly legal.

If it wasnt for South Dakota I wouldnt even have an out of state plate. This bike would be for sale.

The recourse would be getting a ticket for not having your motor vehicle registered and prob no insurance. If you have anything other than a SD drivers license you have two choices. One, get a SD drivers license to match you tag or two, get the plates transferred over to the state you live in to match your drivers license. Once your grace period is over then you my friend are operating a motor vehicle with no registration. Granted if you do get a ticket then most of the time your local District Attorney will dismiss the ticket if you can prove you have switched the title over. Same goes for drivers license. If you live in a state and do not possess a drivers license from that state you have a grace period to get one, after that you are driving without a license (NOL). I have seen many a ticket be given for both license and registrations violations.

The recourse would be getting a ticket for not having your motor vehicle registered and prob no insurance. If you have anything other than a SD drivers license you have two choices. One, get a SD drivers license to match you tag or two, get the plates transferred over to the state you live in to match your drivers license. Once your grace period is over then you my friend are operating a motor vehicle with no registration. Granted if you do get a ticket then most of the time your local District Attorney will dismiss the ticket if you can prove you have switched the title over. Same goes for drivers license. If you live in a state and do not possess a drivers license from that state you have a grace period to get one, after that you are driving without a license (NOL). I have seen many a ticket be given for both license and registrations violations.
    But if your driver's license address matches the bike registration address...

Yea that won't look sketchy...lol. So basically what you are saying is that you would have a SD registration/title with your home address that just so happens to be in a totally different state. I don't know about where you live but I know that in NC that's not gonna fly. Think about it, what are the first two things a cop ask for on a traffic stop... license and registration. We'll sometimes it's, what the hell were you thinking, but in any case the two documents aren't going to add up. Even a rookie cop could read through that one. I guess the true test is to see how many of these guys can there titles transferred over.

But if your driver's license address matches the bike registration address...
    Doesnt matter. Most states require that after a certain amount of time residing in said state the vehicle needs to be registered in said state. The SD registration is perfectly legal. Initially. But it would be in your best interest to transfer it into your home state. Most cops wont care (or even know) unless youre being a dick or get pulled for something pretty gnarly anyways.
    Yeah buddy

Default Getting A title

Soo,

I read all of the posts on this thread and didn't see anything about actually obtaining a title. I live in Hawaii and they don't issue titles for Dirtbikes. Anybody know a way around this? Its an CRF150 and I wouldn't mind throwing some street tires on it for the wife..

Quote Originally Posted by Juster131 View Post
    Soo,

I read all of the posts on this thread and didn't see anything about actually obtaining a title. I live in Hawaii and they don't issue titles for Dirtbikes. Anybody know a way around this? Its an CRF150 and I wouldn't mind throwing some street tires on it for the wife..
    Do you get a MSO or something like that?

Do you get a MSO or something like that?
    No MSO, I did a VIN check and have detailed bill of sale. The guy I bought it off of had the bike for about two years and never received it from the previous owner, being that I live on an island I might be able to locate the original dealer.. Do they keep MSO's?

Default Klx450r title

Hello all, thanks for all the info on retrieving a title to get my green pig on the road. I have quite a different situation. Recently bought my KLXR from a man in Ky (I live in ohio) . He was waiting for the title to come via mail (had just paid it off) at the time of purchase, me being impatient bought the bike with the agreement of him sending me the title upon it's arrival. He Promised he'd have his co-worker notarize it, leaving me very excited clean MC title to be converted to ohio street.
    Problem, he hasn't sent the title and won't respond to calls or texts etc. I've scanned the vin, it's clean of loans and theft. I'm curious as to what I should do. I have a few options from my knowledge I can buy a frame with a bill of sale..... Or get a salvage title.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all! cheers.
    Wake up and smell the poppies.
    Last edited by Klx450rWIZZ; 03-22-2014 at 11:54 AM.

I received my plate and registration last week .it wasn't but about 10 days a email saying my paperwork was ready and needing to call to pay over the phone. I talked to Jacob Drexler who was very helpful. $105.00 I have a plate and registration. and title should be here in under a month. my crf450r is now plated!!

I assume you live somewhere besides South Dakota? Will you be trying to transfer the SD title to your home state? Suddenly, every dirt bike made in the last 10 years will mysteriously receive plate across the US. South dakota = zero fucks given
    2007 RXV550SM/2007 KTM 690SM
    NO REMORSE / NO REGRET Previous Supermotos: 2008 SM510R

Quote Originally Posted by sportmotob77 View Post
    I received my plate and registration last week .it wasn't but about 10 days a email saying my paperwork was ready and needing to call to pay over the phone. I talked to Jacob Drexler who was very helpful. $105.00 I have a plate and registration. and title should be here in under a month. my crf450r is now plated!!
    a big thanks to this thread! and everyone here on SMJ!

Quote Originally Posted by Klx450rWIZZ View Post
    Hello all, thanks for all the info on retrieving a title to get my green pig on the road. I have quite a different situation. Recently bought my KLXR from a man in Ky (I live in ohio) . He was waiting for the title to come via mail (had just paid it off) at the time of purchase, me being impatient bought the bike with the agreement of him sending me the title upon it's arrival. He Promised he'd have his co-worker notarize it, leaving me very excited clean MC title to be converted to ohio street.
    Problem, he hasn't sent the title and won't respond to calls or texts etc. I've scanned the vin, it's clean of loans and theft. I'm curious as to what I should do. I have a few options from my knowledge I can buy a frame with a bill of sale..... Or get a salvage title.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all! cheers.
    Wake up and smell the poppies.
    sorry you got the short end of the stick on this 1, but as you said you can buy a frame with a title. I bought my bike without a title knowing it had no title with only the intentions of purchasing a frame with a bill of sale to do the south dakota thing, but ended up finding an already street legal frame and title for cheap. I dono about your state but this option was cheaper then getting a bonded title here.

Check ebay. or find another blown up klr for a deal and switch the stuff out. longshot but who knows.
    Last edited by Shaggins; 04-13-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Success here. Just got my plate & registration in the mail today. Now I just need the title back. Anyone have any feedback on how long after getting the plate it took to get the title? Thanks to all that contributed to this thread.
    08 WR250X/R

Looking to do my cr125. I have a title that says off road only. My question is about the 200cc or greater box I will be checking. Is this going to be a problem? The title itself does not say what size motor it has but I am sure the vin# has some sort of tie to it.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast