Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike! - Page 28
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 1445

Thread: Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike!

How will having a lean on the title affect this process? It may have been answered in the previous pages but I got tired of looking through (made it half way).

Advertisement

South Dakota plate is in the mail to CA!

Still a little confused on the process of getting a California plate for it though hoping someone can chime in. My 450x (VIN is ok) will have "over 7500 miles" (on my new trail tech computer) and a South Dakota plate in my name. Just got off the phone with AAA and he said all I needed was a VIN verification from chp, bring them that form and that's it? I'll show someone the mileage somehow and then I'm home free with a CA plate and title?

Thanks for all the great information in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner132 View Post

Still a little confused on the process of getting a California plate for it though hoping someone can chime in. My 450x (VIN is ok) will have "over 7500 miles" (on my new trail tech computer) and a South Dakota plate in my name. Just got off the phone with AAA and he said all I needed was a VIN verification from chp, bring them that form and that's it? I'll show someone the mileage somehow and then I'm home free with a CA plate and title?

I wouldn't trust California, I've heard stories of street legal bikes XR650s having their registration revoked and reduced to green sticker only.

The only way I'd switch over is if I was forced.

I took a CA green sticker WR400F and SD plated it, had it this way for a year, no issues.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycorp View Post
    I wouldn't trust California, I've heard stories of street legal bikes XR650s having their registration revoked and reduced to green sticker only.

The only way I'd switch over is if I was forced.

I took a CA green sticker WR400F and SD plated it, had it this way for a year, no issues.

Yeah ive heard stories too... little sketchy.
    Just worried about the whole transfer within x amount of days thing blah blah California bs.

Well when you see a crf450x with a SD plate in the Oak Park area come say hi! Small world.

My papers are ready to mail out. I'll be taking them to the post office in the morning. Can't wait to get this done!

Yeah ive heard stories too... little sketchy.
    Just worried about the whole transfer within x amount of days thing blah blah California bs.

Well when you see a crf450x with a SD plate in the Oak Park area come say hi! Small world.
    That's crazy man! Small world. I've plated all my bikes in SD except one.

So if you ever see an SD plate out here it's probably me.

Default California?

Anybody on here have real success in CA transfering the SD plate over to CA? If so, anyone know the cost to transfer title/plate to CA? May have another option worth sharing if option number two ends up being cheaper.

Bubba
    2004 kTM EXC 300
    1999 WR400F Dual sport
    1992 WR250Z Two Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by B_ostrowski View Post
    Anybody on here have real success in CA transfering the SD plate over to CA? If so, anyone know the cost to transfer title/plate to CA? May have another option worth sharing if option number two ends up being cheaper.

Bubba
    2004 kTM EXC 300
    1999 WR400F Dual sport
    1992 WR250Z Two Stroke

It's been running the folks in our area about 290ish.
    His, 2012 Yamaha WR450f Hers, 2010 Husky TE250.

Hey there Gunner, Im another one of those poor California souls, SGV to be more exact. Did AAA give you a price on transfering that SD plate over to CA? They arent making you take it to be inspected or anything for lights, horn, etc? Interested to see how your process goes, keep us in the loop!

Bubba
    2004 kTM EXC 300
    1999 WR400F Dual sport
    1992 WR250Z Two Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by B_ostrowski View Post
    Hey there Gunner, Im another one of those poor California souls, SGV to be more exact. Did AAA give you a price on transfering that SD plate over to CA? They arent making you take it to be inspected or anything for lights, horn, etc? Interested to see how your process goes, keep us in the loop!

Bubba
    2004 kTM EXC 300
    1999 WR400F Dual sport
    1992 WR250Z Two Stroke
    All he said was that i needed a Vin verification from chp. I think its this form:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...7-3d970b8ea1a4

now it says it can be done by a number of people but i think it got changed to just DMV or CHP, and he told me to go to CHP just to avoid dmv. I dont think they need to verify any street components as it already has a license plate, but mine will have it for sure if i end up taking it to try and get a california plate (and my odo will have over 7500 miles, even though its not on the title or registration or anything so we will see how that goes)

Didnt ask about pricing but i cant imagine it would be too much, its just like a title transfer. Price didnt really matter to me because im already saving a ton by going this route (plated 450x) instead of one of those fancy orange bikes

Ill make a phone call to DMV to confirm everything before i take any action and report back here, just been pretty busy lately and spending all my free time building my 450x.

Default Brappp

All he said was that i needed a Vin verification from chp. I think its this form:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...7-3d970b8ea1a4

now it says it can be done by a number of people but i think it got changed to just DMV or CHP, and he told me to go to CHP just to avoid dmv. I dont think they need to verify any street components as it already has a license plate, but mine will have it for sure if i end up taking it to try and get a california plate (and my odo will have over 7500 miles, even though its not on the title or registration or anything so we will see how that goes)

Didnt ask about pricing but i cant imagine it would be too much, its just like a title transfer. Price didnt really matter to me because im already saving a ton by going this route (plated 450x) instead of one of those fancy orange bikes

Ill make a phone call to DMV to confirm everything before i take any action and report back here, just been pretty busy lately and spending all my free time building my 450x.
    Hey what's up quick question if the bikes not 200cc ...is there anyway around it would they know if I just check off that it's a 200cc when it's really less than 200?
    Last edited by RAPTOR5; 04-30-2017 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Added more

I went to all state to put insurance on 2010 ktm 450sxf and they told me to pound salt. Wtf so I'm shopping for insurance before I send out the paperwork. Who's using what?

Quote Originally Posted by kuntryquesttsi View Post
    I went to all state to put insurance on 2010 ktm 450sxf and they told me to pound salt. Wtf so I'm shopping for insurance before I send out the paperwork. Who's using what?
    Sounds like All State doesn't want your business.
    I have State Farm, they had some trouble at first issuing insurance for my 02 XR250R because it did not come up as a street legal bike on there computer.
    I explained that I converted it to a street legal bike, and then they pushed it through.
    I live for this

2001 XR650LSM,Clark tank,Warp 9 wheels,Avon Distanzia's,40mm FCR -MX carb,UNI Filter,Marko Header,White brothers E2 muffler,CRF450R USD forks & triples,BRP SUB Mount,Scott's Damper,MotoMaster racing caliper & Rotor,Brembo 16/18 Radial MC,15-43 gearing.

South dakota didnt ask me for proof of insurance.

Geico insures all 5 of my bikes including crf250x and xr400, used to have XR350R insured by them till I sold it, I think it's around $50 per bike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RAPTOR5 View Post
    Hey what's up quick question if the bikes not 200cc ...is there anyway around it would they know if I just check off that it's a 200cc when it's really less than 200?
    really not sure on this one as it doesn't apply to me, so please dont take my words too seriously, but i mean hey who says you didn't install a big bore kit right? then again it is a notarized document saying that you swear you installed these things... a crf70 riding around with a license plate may be a bit of a red flag.

Be careful on that one. I wouldnt want to be riding anything less that 200 on the street anyways.

Got an email today, calling tomorrow to pay, and I'll be getting my plate soon thanks to this thread.

Default Brappp

really not sure on this one as it doesn't apply to me, so please dont take my words too seriously, but i mean hey who says you didn't install a big bore kit right? then again it is a notarized document saying that you swear you installed these things... a crf70 riding around with a license plate may be a bit of a red flag.

Be careful on that one. I wouldnt want to be riding anything less that 200 on the street anyways.
    I understand thanks for your time to reply, yeah Man I thought so but I figured they might go by the vin or the name of the bike, usually states the amount of cc's there alone I would wanna do it to something 125cc's if anyone else knows please give a shout

Less than 300cc you can do the "Vermont thing"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have been lurking on this thread for awhile now and i guess im a little confused. Im from North Carolina and in order to register a bike here the title has to say mc not (off road use only), i guess my question is, when you register it through south dakota are they returning the title to you (street legal) or is it still coming back for offroad use only. Any help is appreciated.

Does this still work and would I be able to transfer to Texas afterwards

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GoTeamHonda View Post
    Less than 300cc you can do the "Vermont thing"

Thanks for the info dude I'll look into it but i think the bike has to be older than 15 to be titled and I think if it was originally off road they won't title it not sure though for the "Vermont thing"

Default Street legal raptor

Welllll after a year of reading this forum I ended up buying a 350 raptor 4 wheeler Atv and guess what IT WORKED ! So for everyone saying it won't work for an ATV it did not only did I get my plates regi and title on the mail butttt I TRANSFERED IT ALLLLL OVER TO MY HOME STATE OF NY! I live in New York City pretty much Long Island but close enough for the city bike is street legal period if anybody has any doubts or reason why my quad isn't legal please let me know cause I've been told by everyone that an ATV will never be street legal especially in NY and yet I have all my paperwork in order the thing is registered and titled as a motorcycle so yeah again lemme know why it's not legal one more time haaaaaa BRAPPPPP

Quote Originally Posted by cuda dave View Post
    Does this still work and would I be able to transfer to Texas afterwards

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I got my papers back a few months ago it will still probably say off road as a body type but the can be changed when transferring it back to your home state body types can always be changed

Time to see how the local PD will react to my bike on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by ky_savage View Post
    Time to see how the local PD will react to my bike on the road!
    What bike ? What state ?

What bike ? What state ?
    KX450 in KY
    2016 Kawasaki KX450
    SD plated

Quote Originally Posted by ky_savage View Post
    KX450 in KY
    Beautiful keep us posted on the pull over lol

Beautiful keep us posted on the pull over lol
    I sure will!
    2016 Kawasaki KX450
    SD plated

Thanks for the info dude I'll look into it but i think the bike has to be older than 15 to be titled and I think if it was originally off road they won't title it not sure though for the "Vermont thing"
    You register it in vermont and title it in SD. Two step processes.

You register it in vermont and title it in SD. Two step processes.

Will they let me do that if it's a lot less than 300cc and same in SD it has to be atleast 200cc I don't think it will work with bikes that are like 100-125cc

Welllll after a year of reading this forum I ended up buying a 350 raptor 4 wheeler Atv and guess what IT WORKED ! So for everyone saying it won't work for an ATV it did not only did I get my plates regi and title on the mail butttt I TRANSFERED IT ALLLLL OVER TO MY HOME STATE OF NY! I live in New York City pretty much Long Island but close enough for the city bike is street legal period if anybody has any doubts or reason why my quad isn't legal please let me know cause I've been told by everyone that an ATV will never be street legal especially in NY and yet I have all my paperwork in order the thing is registered and titled as a motorcycle so yeah again lemme know why it's not legal one more time haaaaaa BRAPPPPP

It may technically be legal, but I can almost 100% guarantee you are going to get pulled over immediately. Assuming you don't just run, hopefully they won't impound it when they do. But judging by your post, you aren't going to be reasonable with the officer that does pull you over, and will make things much worse for yourself.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
    -Joe

Husky WR177 - Kawi KX125 - Yami YZ250F

You should be playing in the Riding Game

Quote Originally Posted by gots_a_sol View Post
    It may technically be legal, but I can almost 100% guarantee you are going to get pulled over immediately. Assuming you don't just run, hopefully they won't impound it when they do. But judging by your post, you aren't going to be reasonable with the officer that does pull you over, and will make things much worse for yourself.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
    Of course they are gonna pull me
    Over right away why would I run and why would I give attitude everything is done through the DMV all under my name registered tagged titled and insured under my name and everything is documented under the state I ride in "NY" so why would they impound it or give me any problem at all pull over here's my papers shrugs after seeing it's 💯 have a nice day BRAPPP !!

Of course they are gonna pull me
    Over right away why would I run and why would I give attitude everything is done through the DMV all under my name registered tagged titled and insured under my name and everything is documented under the state I ride in "NY" so why would they impound it or give me any problem at all pull over here's my papers shrugs after seeing it's �� have a nice day BRAPPP !!

The problem is because it is a quad. Quads were never made/meant to be ridden on the road. Just because you managed to get it titled as a motorcycle* was dumb luck.

This just seems like it is going to blow up in your face. Especially with all the idiots riding bikes/quads illegally in the big cities these days. They just aren't going to be like 'oh you have plates/insurance/lights/etc. Have a good day' and let you go.

But if that is how it goes, please come back and let us know. I'll gladly apologize for doubting you.

*I'm assuming NY defines motorcycle as 2 (or 3) wheeled vehicle, which a quad is definitely not. I'd venture to say if things go poorly on your first cop encounter, they are going to scrutinize your paperwork and will invalidate it.
    Last edited by gots_a_sol; 05-06-2017 at 08:16 PM.
    -Joe

Husky WR177 - Kawi KX125 - Yami YZ250F

You should be playing in the Riding Game

Quote Originally Posted by gots_a_sol View Post
    The problem is because it is a quad. Quads were never made/meant to be ridden on the road. Just because you managed to get it titled as a motorcycle* was dumb luck.

This just seems like is going to blow up in your face. Especially with all the idiots riding bikes/quads illegally in the big cities these days. They just aren't going to be like 'oh you have plates/insurance/lights/etc. Have a good day' and let you go.

But if that is how it goes, please come back and let us know. I'll gladly apologize for doubting you.

*I'm assuming NY defines motorcycle as 2 (or 3) wheeled vehicle, which a quad is definitely not. I'd venture to say if things go poorly on your first cop encounter, they are going to scrutinize your paperwork and will invalidate it.
    Yes that's true but when I went through SD I signed a street legal affidavit and got it notarized which means I went through a process that makes something to be meant for the road that wasn't originally

Those people that ride illegally with be taken in for sure I agree
    But I cannot be put into the same category because of them while having my paperwork

And honestly yes plates insurance regi lights and all DOT approved wheels yeah he's gotta let me go cause there's nothing he can book me on a motorcycle can be 2 or 3 wheels but if there no classification fir 4 it will have to do if they ask for a windshield a set of goggles around my neck makes
    It if they really wanna pull that card on me so yes it's 100% and there's absolutely nothing they can do about it it's not like I made this paperwork up its coming straight from the DMV andddd because I also had doubt I took it into my own hands to contact aman auto crimes officer in my area and they were skeptical at first but when they saw the paperwork and that the bike was all DOT approved he said take it out whoever you want drive safe don't be stupid and enjoy I also asked about it being a titled as a motorcycle and he said if that's what the title registration and plate say it is than that's what it is enjoy and have a great day Poof legal!

BRAPPP !

Will they let me do that if it's a lot less than 300cc and same in SD it has to be atleast 200cc I don't think it will work with bikes that are like 100-125cc
    I don't see why not, I've got SD doing two Honda 90cc's for me right now. Sounded like it's going to work, they took my paperwork via mail and my credit card number on the phone, so now I'm just waiting.

I don't see why not, I've got SD doing two Honda 90cc's for me right now. Sounded like it's going to work, they took my paperwork via mail and my credit card number on the phone, so now I'm just waiting.

Oh wow that's awesome so you just checked off that it was 200ccs or more and they just took your word for it hmm I thought the vin would definitely stop the process I guess not keep me posted if you don't mind

Oh wow that's awesome so you just checked off that it was 200ccs or more and they just took your word for it hmm I thought the vin would definitely stop the process I guess not keep me posted if you don't mind
    No. I wrote 90cc. Didn't see anywhere to check off. I'll fully post up once I rvc their package

No. I wrote 90cc. Didn't see anywhere to check off. I'll fully post up once I rvc their package

But On the street legal Affidavit it asks you to check off the 200cc or greater box ..idk that's what I saw on the form for my quad

Default Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike!

So will this process work for me in PA? I have a raptor 700 that I want to be legal. I live in a rural area but cops can be real stupid about quads out here.

If it has a title from South Dakota, can't they invalidate it because I'm in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by rappy700 View Post
    So will this process work for me in PA? I have a raptor 700 that I want to be legal. I live in a rural area but cops can be real stupid about quads out here.

If it has a title from South Dakota, can't they invalidate it because I'm in PA?

If your registration and title have your home address on it they shouldnt be able to but they should still let you transfer it over to PA at the DMV and it should still be legal but the quad also have to be modified for your states regulation

Here in PA, a quad cannot be made legal no matter what. It doesn't matter if you have turn signals, a plate, lights, etc. they say no. But if it's titled correctly then they can't do anything right?

It just seems like they would figure out I cheated them and revoke it

Here in PA, a quad cannot be made legal no matter what. It doesn't matter if you have turn signals, a plate, lights, etc. they say no. But if it's titled correctly then they can't do anything right?

Yeah slapping on a street legal kit alone won't do it but if you are titled it's a different story I highly doubt they will revoke it because you aren't cheating the system you are making it legal though South Dakota than just transferring it over they don't wanna make them legal there than tuff' we will take our business to great ol' South Dakota where they will be happy to take our money lol

We need more quad success stores on here come on ATV riders lets get this thing going with the quads post your success and pullover experiences

I don't think so. Plated and registered does not mean street legal
    Big difference.

Big difference.

Plated registered insured inspected and titled with no off road stamps means street legal I got lucky I guess lol oh and of course the quad has to be modified with street legal equipment too .... any objections ?

Big difference.

So you think it will be a problem?

Depends on your state, if there is a law written down somewhere that says you can't plate an ATV in your state you can guarantee there will be a law not allowing a plated ATV from another state to operate there one way or another.
    His, 2012 Yamaha WR450f Hers, 2010 Husky TE250.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinepig View Post
    Depends on your state, if there is a law written down somewhere that says you can't plate an ATV in your state you can guarantee there will be a law not allowing a plated ATV from another state to operate there one way or another.
    NYC Let me transfer all my SD paperwork over and they also gave me a NY motorcycle license plate for it also

There is a written law in PA that says you can't title a quad for street use. However, some people on here seem to get lucky. I feel like if I got stopped I would be screwed

Advertisement
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast