SuperMoto Junkie banner

Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike!

948K views 2K replies 446 participants last post by  Louis armstrong 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Recently it has become a known fact that there is a state that will allow you to mail in your information and they will mail you a plate along with a street legal title. I know that I have answered quite a few PM's concerning this question and up until recently I have been able to help some, but others, not so much. However, the information posted in this thread is quite the game changer! The state of South Dakota to getting our beloved sumo's legal in states that try to ruin the fun. For those of you who's DMV/Registration office determines a bike street legal status/ability by the VIN I'm not too sure how this would work, but if they go by the title...GAME ON! This information is coming straight from a member on here (who wishes to remain anonymous) who has successfully completed this process. Anybody else that has done this please post on here and either share your success story or give us a heads up on something to watch out for.

To get started, you will need to do the following:

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E1792V1-FourWheelAllTerrainVehicleAffidavit.pdf

-you will need to fill out this form
-leave title number blank
-year, make, model
-put the name of who ever installed accessories to make the bike street legal (This can be your name)
-check all the boxes including 200cc (This is just confirming that the bike is 200cc or more)
-this form must be notarized, so don't sign it until you are in front of one

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secu...licationForMotorVehicleTitle&Registration.pdf

-fill out this form as well
-you will not need the date
-don't check any boxes in section I, section II, or section III
-fill in first box (your name)
-leave type of ownership and customer type blank
-identification# (needs to be your social security number)
-skip down and put in your address

section IV
-vin#
-put in make, model,
-body type- MC
-vehicle code- MC
-year and CC
-skip down to section V
-Just fill in purchase date

Don't need to put in anything else just sign and date the bottom

Besides these two forms, you'll need to send in the title or MSO and a copy of your driver's license. If the title isn't in your name you will have to call and find out what other forms you need (605)394-2163. You will also need to attach a note (preferably typed) that includes your name, email, phone number, and notate that you would like to pay by credit card over phone or internet and to contact you when they have a total price and are ready for payment.

Mail both forms, title/MSO, copy of Drivers license to:

Office of the Pennington County Treasurer
Pennington County courthouse
315 Saint Joseph St Suite 214
Rapid City SD 57701-2894

Additional Info.

Serial number is the same as the vin# (should be 17 characters long depending on year of bike) and you will need to send in the original title (they will be keeping your original title and sending you a new South Dakota title).

The fee is: $58.75 and a $3 credit card fee if applicable. You should receive your new title within 30 days.

note
Mlawler1 brought up a good point. Make sure to use your home address even though you're registering in S. Dakota. States only require that your bike is registered to you at your home address (so don't try and make a fake S. Dakota address). Use your address and your local police can't do anything because you're licensed and registered to your home address...just through a different state :D. Just make sure that the registration matches the information on your driver's license. (y)

See less See more
#1,033 ·
I personally never dealt with a MSO. We title everything here, red sticker, green sticker or a plate(street legal). California FYI. To me a MSO is just a fancy receipt that verifies frame and engine number. Hell I don't even know who gets the MSO at the time of the sale, buyer or bank(if financed). A title is a state generated document.

So either call the fine folks in SD or wait for someone more knowledgeable about MSO chimes in.

And as always good luck on the plate, ride safe. Or as safe as one can be on one wheel.

We must...We must...increase our boost

#1,041 ·
Nobody is talking about then rest of the process

Nobody is talking about the rest of the process unless you guys are just fully converting with headlights tai lights and blinkers, because if you get pulled over on dirtbike that has paper work cool, but you are getting a ticket for headlight twilight mirrors twilight and so forth what's one more ticket gonna hurt for riding off road on street

I have 400sm and have moved twilight tag mirrors and I still get a ton of shit when I get pulled over. I can only imagine getting pulled over on rmz450 and whipping out a paper that says its level with not blinkers mirrors and so forth, so my concern is if you aren't fully converting bike isn't it a waste of time. My rmz 450 is mainly for dirt but I have a set of street tires I ride on a lot so I don't burn up my knobbys

So are most of you guys doing full conversions....?

#1,045 ·
Nobody is talking about the rest of the process unless you guys are just fully converting with headlights tai lights and blinkers, because if you get pulled over on dirtbike that has paper work cool, but you are getting a ticket for headlight twilight mirrors twilight and so forth what's one more ticket gonna hurt for riding off road on street

I have 400sm and have moved twilight tag mirrors and I still get a ton of shit when I get pulled over. I can only imagine getting pulled over on rmz450 and whipping out a paper that says its level with not blinkers mirrors and so forth, so my concern is if you aren't fully converting bike isn't it a waste of time. My rmz 450 is mainly for dirt but I have a set of street tires I ride on a lot so I don't burn up my knobbys

So are most of you guys doing full conversions....?
Start a new thread!

This one isn't about the right tires, lights, horn, or how every single state has different requirements, is about getting a street legal title.

It is going to vary wildly from state to state year to year, cop to cop.

You can have a wealth of info, but p put it in its own thread!

#1,042 ·
Me personally. I have blinkers head light tail lights and retractable mirrors i use a bicycle speedo I haven't yet got my sm rims and tires so yes i plan to be fully converted (yz426f) but that's all up to the person with the bike I can't speak for everyone here if you're legal than you're legal they can't deny you that right

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1,047 · (Edited)
96 Aprilia RS250

Received all of my paperwork and a letter basically telling me to get the original owner to get the title transferred to the US and do the EPA and DOT bullshit like the tag office did here. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I painted it yellow to match one of my Yamaha RZ350s along with Yamaha logos, so that's the route I'll be going. I love smokers and this little 250 screams. The RZ is a baddass too. Building a Motard RZ with alloy tank and TZR Swingarm for starters. Should have pics soon.
Craigus

#1,048 ·
Received all of my paperwork and a letter basically telling me to get the original owner to get the title transferred to the US and do the EPA and DOT bullshit like the tag office did here. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I painted it yellow to match one of my Yamaha RZ350s along with Yamaha logos, so that's the route I'll be going. I love smokers and this little 250 screams. The RZ is a baddass too. Building a Motard RZ with alloy tank and TZR Swingarm for starters. Should have pics soon.
Craigus

Try Vermont

#1,052 ·
What states have the SD titled transfered into with out issue?

So this is just to help the people who are questioning "will it transfer to my state"
So to help, list the bike and state you transferred your SD title into.

#1,055 ·
Each state is different; but for the most part, you need proof of insurance and inspection (from state you hope to obtain plates from) before you can apply for official registration. Most inspection stations are familiar with the process and 'should' have the appropriate form.

Good luck!

#1,058 ·
05 Crf450x with bill of sale

I have a bike with a detailed buyers order (bill of sale) from a dealer showing sales tax along with other info. Im looking at this form https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E0858V1-AffidavitForVehicleBoatRegistration.pdf that i need in addition to the other forms in the OP. My question is what do i do in the middle part with the oath and the statement of facts? Do i fill in both? What do i write in the statement of facts? I just wanted to see what you guys had to say about it before I go and call them.

#1,059 ·
KX250 Street Legal in 8 days!!!

HAHA, I am so glad that I found this thread!!!

I followed the directions, completed all forms, and sent it all to the nice folks in South Dakota. I sent it priority mail from Florida on Friday, the following Tuesday I had an email to call and pay for my new registration and title ($57.00). The woman was very nice and told me my tag would leave the next day (and title will follow in 30 days), Tag/Registration was in my mailbox that Saturday...8 days start to finish!!

05 KX250 2 stroke ripper, soon to be on the streets!!!

#1,062 ·
Where to send the documents @ SD

HAHA, I am so glad that I found this thread!!!

I followed the directions, completed all forms, and sent it all to the nice folks in South Dakota. I sent it priority mail from Florida on Friday, the following Tuesday I had an email to call and pay for my new registration and title ($57.00). The woman was very nice and told me my tag would leave the next day (and title will follow in 30 days), Tag/Registration was in my mailbox that Saturday...8 days start to finish!!

05 KX250 2 stroke ripper, soon to be on the streets!!!

Hi 2StrokeStreetTard, I'm about to send my documents to SD... do you remember what address you sent your docs to? Thx

#1,061 ·
Hello fellow Oregon enthusiast.

Did you ever get an Oregon plate? I'm hoping to build a CR500 sumo.

I got a huge double-take from a bike cop today. He was sitting across the intersection from me and glanced my way then doubled back for a stare before taking a right turn away from me. Not sure if he was checking out the bike (I hope) or if he really thought I had the balls to ride an off-road only dirt bike through the middle of town. Either way, if push came to shove and he decided I was somehow illegal, maybe my relaxed attitude and concealed handgun license (AKA good-guy card) would have got me out of it. Hopefully that's the last experience like that until I transfer my plate to Oregon.[/QUOTE]

#1,064 ·
More California Success, It's key to get somebody at DMV that understands the nuances of the 7500 mile out of state transfer. Took me three tries at different DMVs to find a nice lady that knew her shit. The other two both wanted to see the federal secondary vin stickers that do not come on bikes originally built/sold as OHVs. Hell there is box to check for that very issue on the form they use and they wouldn't believe me that that's exactly what it was for.

:bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana:

#1,199 ·
I have a question I'm hoping you can help me with. I'm going to atttempt the transfer with a WR450F. I want to buy it in CA, get the SD plates, rack up 7500 miles or swap clusters, then transfer to CA.

My question is did you buy your bike in California? I don't want to have my VIN already come up as a green sticker OHV because I bought it in Cali.

#1,201 ·
I bought mine in Oregon but it doesn't matter. You can start with a California bike and it works the same, once you plate it in another state it becomes an out of state bike. I have 3 friends that started with California bikes ( 2 wrs and a rmz ) and it worked for them

#1,068 · (Edited)
im confused? PLEASE HELP this is funny

ok SO......
hello all ive been reading through this forum for awile now and recently purchased a 2005 gasgas ec250. Now you can register these guys to be street legal the mso says body type: MOTORCYCLE and people have been doing it.... But i ran into some trouble, i purchsed it from the original owner but he never registered it in NH he used it as a trails bike and to cruise around on, so there is no title for the bike i was just given paperwork that says "certificate of origin" and the same guy who i bought it from his name is sighed in one of the places on the back side. so i called my local DMV in rhode island and asked if they will take an mso as a title when i register the bike they said no and the original owner would have to go register it get a title then transfer the title to me YEAh like thats going to happen.

so here is where the plot thickens , im thinking ok ill try the "register in south dakota method" because i have an mso so technically i can get a title and get it plated that way right? WELL i call the south dakota dmv simply to ask if i can use a mso from the original owner who sold it to me and use that to register the bike and suddenly this lady seemed to get very angry and wanted to know WHY i wanted to register it in south Dakota and WHY not my state and WHY do i need to do this and WILL i ever even go to south dakota i actually panicked and hung up because i didnt know what to say and i thought i was almost in trouble :anim_peep:

SO is the DMV catching on? are they getting pissed we all keep doing this? it was almost as if she knew exactly what i was trying to do and at one point she even goes "ok well tell me this, is it even a road legal bike does the mso say off road use only" which it doesnt..... so what should i do now? call back a different office or should i be dine to just fill out all the paperwork, sign the back of the mso and mail it to them? i even have everything on the bike i need to make it street legal already ill upload pics soon

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

#1,069 ·
Ive been enjoying being able to trail hop on my XR4 thanks to a plate!

Now Im up to renew my registration. Anyone done it yet? If I go to do it online, it asks for my SD license #....
Other option the paperwork says is go in person.
So, how did you do it? Is there a mail-in option? A different online option?

Thanks!

#1,070 ·
FML me begging hype to street legal my bike i just followed the OP and mailed it to the OP address which was the old one aint know they had a new address till today! i sent it out wensday and i tracked it today it say it was delivered on Friday to an agent at the old address... just hoping it get sent to the right address! smh

#1,072 ·
SD has been jerking me around now for a month.

NJ MSO KTM off road use only.

SD will title and plate it but the title 100% has to say off road vehicle. This is a new law as of July 1st. I was told different before sending in my paperwork.

Any advise? I need to remove the offroad bs to register in my great state... :roll eyes:

Also, seems as if the price went up. 100 some dollars they were asking now.

#1,073 ·
This has to be because they are catching and know exactly why suddenly there's this influx of people calling the DMV from out of state trying to get bikes registered. The lady I talked to on the phone was very angry and wanted to know why I was doing this and right off the bat called me out and was like "does the motorcycle you have say for off road use only sir"