Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike! - Page 27
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
Results 1,301 to 1,334 of 1334

Thread: Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike!

  1. #1301
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ngonerogwu View Post
    I went back and found your post, my MSO didn't have off-road listed anywhere on it. The post I think you're referring to is about a guy who's KTM MSO has off road use only on it. I guess mine is old enough that isn't on there.

    The guy at the SD BMV said they base it on VIN now. Said rules changed in January.

    Maybe he's full of it, idk.

    What should I try again in a week?

    Really appreciate the help, this shoulda been really easy.
    it's very easy. do not send the MSO. you lost both it and the title. your are applying for a South Dakota title, because you've lost both of them. they are gone gone forever.

  2.  
    Advertisement
  3. #1302
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    15

    Default sent to old address

    Quote Originally Posted by supermotardmax View Post
    Wait, this is different then the adress on the first page.. which is it?
    Dangit ' I just sent ALL my paperwork with title to the Original/ Old address , I wish I'd seen this earlier cuz woulda made corrections to address . has anyone else sent it to old address ? ( luckily I had spent a little extra for postage & registered mail in a secured envelope which has a tracking # too )

  4. #1303
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AztecHooligan View Post
    Just to update this I got an email from them today, so I guess if you incorrectly send it to the old address they will forward it for you.
    okay so I did the same thing and sent it all to the OLD address , so what did you mean " forward it to you " ? did they return all your paperwork back to you ? ( this would suck ) I certainly hope not . hopefully carrier will just send it to newer address . and yes this info needs to be updated ! ( hard to comb through 27 + pages only to discover this ....

  5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #1304
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Ks checking in. 05 ktm 450 smr. All good, $66 and they are on the way.

  7. #1305
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Could someone please clarify what is the best route to get a transferable motorcycle title for my dirt bike. I live in the state of Florida and my dirt bike is an 09 CRF450R. I Have the title (Body labeled as MC) that is in my name, a receipt showing i paid sales tax a month and some days ago. I seen that some people are sending in their titles with MC and OHV and getting titles back as the same but still getting a plate, are those transferable? Please help me. Thanks in advance. I dont want to send off my title and only have a month of riding my bike and not being able to transfer it to a florida title.
    Last edited by Cdf7; 1 Week Ago at 09:11 PM.

  8. #1306
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cdf7 View Post
    Could someone please clarify what is the best route to get a transferable motorcycle title for my dirt bike. I live in the state of Florida and my dirt bike is an 09 CRF450R. I Have the title (Body labeled as MC) that is in my name, a receipt showing i paid sales tax a month and some days ago. I seen that some people are sending in their titles with MC and OHV and getting titles back as the same but still getting a plate, are those transferable? Please help me. Thanks in advance. I dont want to send off my title and only have a month of riding my bike and not being able to transfer it to a florida title.
    You have multiple options. You could just ride it in Florida with the SD plate (that is what I would do) or you can take it into the DMV and try to transfer it to Florida. You'll still get a FL title back you just might not get to plate it it I had a plated XR650R in FL a couple years ago (Florida plates). That bike was never street the 650r's we're never street legal so I think you'll be fine.

  9. #1307
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by desmobaja View Post
    You have multiple options. You could just ride it in Florida with the SD plate (that is what I would do) or you can take it into the DMV and try to transfer it to Florida. You'll still get a FL title back you just might not get to plate it it I had a plated XR650R in FL a couple years ago (Florida plates). That bike was never street the 650r's we're never street legal so I think you'll be fine.
    So if i transfer a street legal SD title to fl i might lose the ability to plate it overall?

  10. #1308
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cdf7 View Post
    So if i transfer a street legal SD title to fl i might lose the ability to plate it overall?
    I am not sure what you mean when you say "overall". I can't see how it would make you any worse off then you are now. If you go the SD route you will have a legally registered and plated bike in your name with your home address listed on the registration. The average LEO has much larger concerns (especially in Miami) than some guy who wants to ride his dirt bike on the street. It is truly a victimless crime if their ever was one. You have lights, turn signals and mirrors. You are no threat to anyone else on the road from a safety perspective. If it were me I would plate it and ride as it is. If you are ever pulled over and questioned about it I would tell them that you were working in South Dakota on a long term project and you purchased a motorcycle, you did not have a permanent address in South Dakota and they were kind enough to use your Miami address for your registration. They might tell you that you have to get it registered in Florida. I would politely nod in agreement and go about my merry way. Unless you are a regular nuisance to your local LEO I don't envision this being a problem. If you eventually get pulled over too many times or get skittish, go to a remote DMV office at 4:55pm on a Friday and try to transfer it. If they tell you they won't plate it say "nevermind" and a take your paperwork and leave and then try a different office at a different time.

    I think people in general overthink this whole process. You are giving your home state registration fees that they will not otherwise collect if they deny you registration. Just do it.
    Last edited by desmobaja; 1 Week Ago at 02:32 PM. Reason: grammar

  11. #1309
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cdf7 View Post
    Could someone please clarify what is the best route to get a transferable motorcycle title for my dirt bike. I live in the state of Florida and my dirt bike is an 09 CRF450R. I Have the title (Body labeled as MC) that is in my name, a receipt showing i paid sales tax a month and some days ago. I seen that some people are sending in their titles with MC and OHV and getting titles back as the same but still getting a plate, are those transferable? Please help me. Thanks in advance. I dont want to send off my title and only have a month of riding my bike and not being able to transfer it to a florida title.
    you get a title, add a tag, for a motorcycle that previously did not have either. where is the confusion?

  12. #1310
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lincoln Tunnel
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cdf7 View Post
    Could someone please clarify what is the best route to get a transferable motorcycle title for my dirt bike. I live in the state of Florida and my dirt bike is an 09 CRF450R. I Have the title (Body labeled as MC) that is in my name, a receipt showing i paid sales tax a month and some days ago. I seen that some people are sending in their titles with MC and OHV and getting titles back as the same but still getting a plate, are those transferable? Please help me. Thanks in advance. I dont want to send off my title and only have a month of riding my bike and not being able to transfer it to a florida title.

    I had a CRF 450R that was plated in Illinois. Moved to Miami and had no problems getting it plated in FL. Just went right to DMV as if transferring any regularly plated bike. If you already have it plated somewhere else, should be easy. Worst case, if it raises an eyebrow, leave and go to another facility. That's what I had to do in Illinois.

  13. #1311
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Thanks guys. I went ahead and sent off all the stuff yesterday. Hopefully everything goes good.

  14. #1312
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Got my plate and registration in today, body type says OFF.

    They listed the bike as a 250 EXC-F, which I assume is the 4 stroke model. Also no mileage listed. I'll call when the title comes in and try and get the body type switched, mileage added and the model changed. Doubt they'll do it.. but may as well try.

  15. #1313
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    34

    Default Mso question

    Hello guys i have a problem with my 2010 yz450, i send my paperwork to sd mso to get it Plated but the lady say i need a bank release.
    I explained them the bike is pay off but the problem is the last owner he not around anymore is there something that i can do it about it..

  16. #1314
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    10

    Default

    She's still got the dirt wheels on but not for long.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #1315
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crf450r r r View Post
    She's still got the dirt wheels on but not for long.
    Do you ride it with the dirt tires or are you waiting till you get street tires?

  18. #1316
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    14

    Default

    How long after they received the paper work should i expect a call? They got mine this morning? And what do they do, call me or email me first?

  19. #1317
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    10

    Default

    IVe gone on a couple short rides. They emailed me first that my paperwork was all good and asked for a payment method.

  20. #1318
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    15

    Default They emailed me today after about a week

    Including weekend , I got a email from a lady that said that I forgot to write my address next to my name on the notorized page of affidavit, so resent them again today. Hopefully I hear something in a few days

  21. #1319
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crf450r r r View Post
    IVe gone on a couple short rides. They emailed me first that my paperwork was all good and asked for a payment method.
    What form of payment do they actually accept? I have a debt card only

  22. #1320
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomlag7 View Post
    Including weekend , I got a email from a lady that said that I forgot to write my address next to my name on the notorized page of affidavit, so resent them again today. Hopefully I hear something in a few days
    That happened to me also but she said I could just fax a new form.

  23. #1321
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Posts
    68

    Default Debt card

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomlag7 View Post
    What form of payment do they actually accept? I have a debt card only
    That is what I used

  24. #1322
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crf450r r r View Post
    IVe gone on a couple short rides. They emailed me first that my paperwork was all good and asked for a payment method.
    But exactly how long did it take from when they received it to them contacting you for payment? Or did you not keep track?

  25. #1323
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Action View Post
    That is what I used
    From when they received it to them asking for payment. How long did it take?

  26. #1324
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cdf7 View Post
    From when they received it to them asking for payment. How long did it take?
    the last three pages of questions were covered in the first (of 27 by my formatting) two pages of the thread.

    are you guys reading the thread?

  27. #1325
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    the last three pages of questions were covered in the first (of 27 by my formatting) two pages of the thread.

    are you guys reading the thread?
    Of course i read the first page of the thread but i went to the last pages because of the time difference. Why read peoples response from a years or so ago when i could look at recent response

  28. #1326
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cdf7 View Post
    Of course i read the first page of the thread but i went to the last pages because of the time difference. Why read peoples response from a years or so ago when i could look at recent response
    from slowest to fastest....
    the first post outlines how long it takes for the title to arrive.
    the first page of responses outline how long till the tag arrives.
    just like any tax accessor office, the workload they have dictates how long it takes to process your application.

    i understand a lot of people skip over the first post to try and get the most recent information via instant responses from other members, but the first post gets updated as needed.

    if it hasn't been answered in the last four years, i would be surprised.

    happy biking :-)

  29. #1327
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    from slowest to fastest....
    the first post outlines how long it takes for the title to arrive.
    the first page of responses outline how long till the tag arrives.
    just like any tax accessor office, the workload they have dictates how long it takes to process your application.

    i understand a lot of people skip over the first post to try and get the most recent information via instant responses from other members, but the first post gets updated as needed.

    if it hasn't been answered in the last four years, i would be surprised.

    happy biking :-)

    Ok cool. Thanks for the info. Im going to go ahead and read though the thread.

  30. #1328
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Hopefully didn't miss this in thread search but..

    If I've got the original MSO, signed by the original owner and the second owner, notarized with a Lien stamp on it (Lien is paid but no release..) I can pretty much forget about sending that in, right?

    I have the original bill of sale from the dealership when the bike was bought new in 2007 written out to the original owner.

    With the lien being paid off (no release, though..), the original bill of sale from the dealership, and if I were to ugh, "get" a bill of sale from the original owner to myself, would that be enough to get my request through?

  31. #1329
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Paid today for my title and plates: $57. The lady said that although I will be receiving plates, it was still going to be listed as "offroad" on the title. She emphasized that it was considered an offroad vehicle that is registered. She wanted me to be aware of that before we proceeded. I wonder if people have been trying to take the SD title to their home state and because of this verbiage, not able to transfer it back with a street legal title like they intended and have been calling the SD dmv back complaining. I don't really plan on trying to transfer the title back to Illinois in hopes they will allow me to register it street legal. There are places all over the country that require the bike to be plated to ride so as long as I have something on the back that is legit, it works for me.

    BTW, the lady said that my registration would only be good through June and then I would have to renew already. I guess it's based on the first letter of your last name. Mine being "K." She said it wasn't quite close enough to June to get next years sticker. I should have asked what the renewal fee was.

  32. #1330
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Posts
    68

    Default 3 months

    Yep mine was only good for like 3 months. I just renewed and it was about $23.
    Jack




    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus83 View Post
    Paid today for my title and plates: $57. The lady said that although I will be receiving plates, it was still going to be listed as "offroad" on the title. She emphasized that it was considered an offroad vehicle that is registered. She wanted me to be aware of that before we proceeded. I wonder if people have been trying to take the SD title to their home state and because of this verbiage, not able to transfer it back with a street legal title like they intended and have been calling the SD dmv back complaining. I don't really plan on trying to transfer the title back to Illinois in hopes they will allow me to register it street legal. There are places all over the country that require the bike to be plated to ride so as long as I have something on the back that is legit, it works for me.

    BTW, the lady said that my registration would only be good through June and then I would have to renew already. I guess it's based on the first letter of your last name. Mine being "K." She said it wasn't quite close enough to June to get next years sticker. I should have asked what the renewal fee was.

  33. #1331
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus83 View Post
    Paid today for my title and plates: $57. The lady said that although I will be receiving plates, it was still going to be listed as "offroad" on the title. She emphasized that it was considered an offroad vehicle that is registered. She wanted me to be aware of that before we proceeded. I wonder if people have been trying to take the SD title to their home state and because of this verbiage, not able to transfer it back with a street legal title like they intended and have been calling the SD dmv back complaining. I don't really plan on trying to transfer the title back to Illinois in hopes they will allow me to register it street legal. There are places all over the country that require the bike to be plated to ride so as long as I have something on the back that is legit, it works for me.

    BTW, the lady said that my registration would only be good through June and then I would have to renew already. I guess it's based on the first letter of your last name. Mine being "K." She said it wasn't quite close enough to June to get next years sticker. I should have asked what the renewal fee was.

    For me they didn't mention anything about my title being off-road only, i think my bike was already able to be street legal... the body was MC but under ODO it said for of highway use; and i paid $73 for everything. I wonder what was different . And the guy said i was good for a whole year. March of 2018.
    Last edited by Cdf7; 3 Days Ago at 07:42 PM.

  34. #1332
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    16

    Default

    So once you do this whole process for plating and registering through SD, do you have to renew your registration through them again or can it be done through your state?

  35. #1333
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glisson41 View Post
    So once you do this whole process for plating and registering through SD, do you have to renew your registration through them again or can it be done through your state?
    I believe it was written previously that it's optional. SD will gladly continue to accept your money . I guess it comes down to how much of an issue it becomes in your state and /or what loops you go through to attain one

  36. #1334
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomlag7 View Post
    I believe it was written previously that it's optional. SD will gladly continue to accept your money . I guess it comes down to how much of an issue it becomes in your state and /or what loops you go through to attain one
    So continuing to register through SD is going to be the most hassle free method to my madness? Got it

  37.  
    Advertisement
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •