Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike! - Page 15
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike!

If anyone with the ATV body type title had any info that would be great, I tried calling today but they were out to lunch, I got one email back saying "This is how they register dirtbikes in South Dakota", which doesn't answer any of my questions. I'm really hoping I didn't spend $50 for a plate I can't use. I'm just confused right now, I see there's a few people on here with the same thing and they seem to be riding fine, just wanting for clarification. Thanks

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Ktmin View Post
    If anyone with the ATV body type title had any info that would be great, I tried calling today but they were out to lunch, I got one email back saying "This is how they register dirtbikes in South Dakota", which doesn't answer any of my questions. I'm really hoping I didn't spend $50 for a plate I can't use. I'm just confused right now, I see there's a few people on here with the same thing and they seem to be riding fine, just wanting for clarification. Thanks
    sometimes it says atv, mc, or the best ever: enduro

it will be up to your local tag office as to how picky they are about the magic papers and the magic ink on them. sometimes they act like what you're asking is akin to curing cancer, other times it's just a rubber stamp and barely a sigh.

the DMV is a useless tax generator squirreling away magic papers for tomorrow.

Ok so I got the 1998 kTM frame I'm using in my build from from a dismantler in SC. They provided a bill of sale for the frame. Before I called SD I called the dismantler and asked for a reason they issued a bill of sale vs a title or mco. The owner said where they are in sc is very close to Georgia and that being so the bike possibly came from there and was never issued a title. When I called SD i told the lady this and that I had the bill of sale from the company and she said I would need to fill out one more affidavit (https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secur...gistration.pdf) with the other two to complete the registration for the 98'. I'll let you know how its goes down Ill be sending paperwork out for my ktm 350 and my 98 frame with 96' 360 project tomorrow.
    Oh and even though on this affidavit has the notary from south Dakota she said any notary from anywhere can do it.
    I believe the lady's name was Gerry who I spoke with
    Last edited by Lockdun1; 10-05-2015 at 07:37 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Just putting this out there, I contacted my state and asked about the ATV body style and they said that still counted as off road. I could see getting away with it because of the plates but still, seems like the majority of us getting ATV or something similar aren't really street legal, I'm not sure if I contact them by phone that they'll change it.

Well the I have the title not the mco for the 2013 350sx-f and my Texas title has motorcycle listed as the body type. I don't see why they would alter that and not list it as such. Is that happening to people with titles or just the guys registering with mco's?My thinking is if I send them both one with title and one without at the same time they will list mc on both.
    Last edited by Lockdun1; 10-05-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Default Now it makes sense

I think that being that my bike is new & says "Motorcycle" on the MSO that it will be registered as such & that is why I had some difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdun1 View Post
    Well the I have the title not the mco for the 2013 350sx-f and my Texas title has motorcycle listed as the body type. I don't see why they would alter that and not list it as such. Is that happening to people with titles or just the guys registering with mco's?My thinking is if I send them both one with title and one without at the same time they will list mc on both.
    Bah, too much worry about the magic papers... just send your stuff !

Mine came back labeld as the coolest possible vehicle, which was "enduro", but my state doesn't have 'enduro' on their rubber-stamp-it computer screen. They changed it to "mc" which is much lamer, but whatever, it's legal and insured now.

Default For California Residents who have the SD Plate

Hey guys,
    Just wanted to see if any other Cali residents ran into this issue or already know what to do with DMV regarding transfers out of state. I posted here a while back showing my receiving of the SD plates. Only issue is that I wanted to report it to the DMV because I received an 'Incomplete Registration" letter from CA DMV since I was initially trying to go through the legit route (DMV to CHP then to DMV again..). Initially, I was trying to get dual-registration for my 05 KTM EXC 525, however, things didn't fall through with 'respect' to emissions standards thanks to CHP.

So, after the failure I looked to South Dakota and got my plate from them.

Question: How do I report to this change to CA DMV who knows only that the bike is CA off-road registered, but not on-highway registered? And also doesn't know I have South Dakota plates on them.

Thanks in advance guys,
    -Rene
    Last edited by Rene Jr Ybardolaza; 10-07-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Default Bringing up another question from this...

So, I currently live in Japan and have a street-legal DRZ400SM here. I'm planning to bring it back to the states when I end my tour here, but may run into some issues with the legalities. I was told by the Motorcycle Foundation here, that as long as I can tag/title the bike in the states prior to PCS that I would good to go. Anyone look into this or running a non-USDM spec bike? I would be very curious if this would be something I could work out. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Goose_Oki View Post
    So, I currently live in Japan and have a street-legal DRZ400SM here. I'm planning to bring it back to the states when I end my tour here, but may run into some issues with the legalities. I was told by the Motorcycle Foundation here, that as long as I can tag/title the bike in the states prior to PCS that I would good to go. Anyone look into this or running a non-USDM spec bike? I would be very curious if this would be something I could work out. Thanks in advance!
    the drz is considered street legal in the US, so wherever you end up living, it won't be a problem for street legalese.

the importing of it (psychically) and border /customswouldbethe only annoyances.

once it's here, titling that bike will be just like titling any other through south Dakota. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    the drz is considered street legal in the US, so wherever you end up living, it won't be a problem for street legalese.

the importing of it (psychically) and border /customswouldbethe only annoyances.

once it's here, titling that bike will be just like titling any other through south Dakota. :-)
    I figured if I can get plates/registration that may help with importing the bike. I'll have to get a translated title but I may be able to work out the "legal" importation.

Hey guys I just found out about this thread and had a one question before I try this

I currently have a street title from another person that I bought my motorcycle from
    I tried to transfer to a Wisconsin title but failed
    Do I just send this in with the other information to South Dakota (It's completely signed from both me and seller)
    or do I have to get a dirt title in my name from this before I can send it to South Dakota?

Thanks for the help guys!

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinXR650R View Post
    Hey guys I just found out about this thread and had a one question before I try this

I currently have a street title from another person that I bought my motorcycle from
    I tried to transfer to a Wisconsin title but failed
    Do I just send this in with the other information to South Dakota (It's completely signed from both me and seller)
    or do I have to get a dirt title in my name from this before I can send it to South Dakota?

Thanks for the help guys!
    why did wisconsin reject your title ?

Is there a way to do this if you dont have the original owner's certificate/title?

I am wondering if I will need an inspection sticker from my state. Obviously it should be inspect able so the cops leave me alone but why will I need a sticker if it is registered through SD?

Quote Originally Posted by Evilsrtmo View Post
    Is there a way to do this if you dont have the original owner's certificate/title?
    yes. you sign the forms, get them notarized, and go

Quote Originally Posted by reichard117 View Post
    I am wondering if I will need an inspection sticker from my state. Obviously it should be inspect able so the cops leave me alone but why will I need a sticker if it is registered through SD?
    the answer changes with each state/province. YOUR state will be different from all the others, and of course every stop by the police will be different also.

use the SD method to get a title, then transfer to your state and put whatever on the bike is needed to remain legal.

Red face Papers

i bought a dirtbike and the previous owner gavve me a manufacter certificate and a tranfer ownership.
    none of these its in my name,i just want to know if i have to send both to papers or just the manufacter certificate?
    tanks in advance

hey guys, buying a bike that has used this method, im in missouri and the sd title says moto cro. wondering if the dmv will reject me for this?

They didn't in NY for me

ok, hoping for the best, as i will be finaced on the bike, so if it goes south ill have to get it legal the right way in mo and be out another couple hundred. ill keep you all updated on what happens at the dmv.

Default Title for SC125 scooter

Does anyone know if this would work for a Baja SC125 Scooter or if it doesn't any other way of getting plates / a title for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Nicholas View Post
    Does anyone know if this would work for a Baja SC125 Scooter or if it doesn't any other way of getting plates / a title for it?
    Vermont if sd won't

There should be a FAQ stickied for this by now ;-)

No, you need a 200cc engine or latger for South Dakota

No, you need a 200cc engine or latger for South Dakota
    Alright, do you possibly have the link to the vermont paperwork / what information i would need to provide?

I'm subscribed to this thread only because it's ALWAYS a good laugh.
    I live for this

2001 XR650LSM,Clark tank,Warp 9 wheels,Avon Distanzia's,40mm FCR -MX carb,UNI Filter,Marko Header,White brothers E2 muffler,CRF450R USD forks & triples,BRP SUB Mount,Scott's Damper,MotoMaster racing caliper & Rotor,Brembo 16/18 Radial MC,15-43 gearing.

Has anyone tried this for ct?

Alright, do you possibly have the link to the vermont paperwork / what information i would need to provide?
    Just go to the Vermont DMV website its all there you dont need a fake address or anything. Bike or car must be less then 300cc or older then 10years. I have done it its super easy.

Here is the link you need just follow the directions.

http://dmv.vermont.gov/registrations/drivers/new

Just wanted to add, your bike can be newer or have more cc if you have a MSO or title if you want to convert to street.
    Last edited by Tepco; 11-09-2015 at 07:22 AM.
    Use the search button!!!
    Cool Enduro!! No its a SuperMoto ........nevermind.
    2-Strokes for life!
    2006 DRZ400SM Sold, 1984 Z50R SOLD, 2001 XR100, 2002 YZ250 SM Sold, 88 Hawk GT RC31, 04 CR85 SM! 2008 Husky SM510R, 2001 KTM200EXC

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs View Post
    Has anyone tried this for ct?
    everyone that sends the papers to SD gets a SD tag. everyone that wonders about it, gets nothing. ;-)

Sent in my title last week w/forms. Got an e-mail from South Dakota this morning providing my total fees and letting me know I could call and provide my CC information. My bike is a 2014 WR450F titled in New Mexico with me currently living and my driver's license showing Florida. So when the renewal comes back up, I'll probably have the local police stop by and do a VIN inspection (so I don't have to take the actual bike down to the DMV) and then I'll go get it titled and registered in Florida.

Great Thread!!

Just read all 15 pages, thanks for doing this!
    Trying this with my xr400. Ive had no luck trying in MA but looks like this might work for me.

I know the address has changed since the first page, have he forms or anything else or can I still follow the original instructions?

Thanks!
    2004 WR450 SM. SOLD :(
    xr400
    HD fxdx

Quote Originally Posted by Puglia10 View Post
    Just read all 15 pages, thanks for doing this!
    Trying this with my xr400. Ive had no luck trying in MA but looks like this might work for me.

I know the address has changed since the first page, have he forms or anything else or can I still follow the original instructions?

Thanks!
    I must a missed the part where the address changed. I just sent mine in last week (previous post to yours) and my tags are already on the way back to me from SD. I just used the two forms as mentioned in the first post and used the exact address posted in the first post. Just did everything the OP said to do. The only additional thing they wanted when they e-mailed me was the color of my bike.

The address was edited in the first post at the end of 2013 thanks to crash279.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000RR View Post
    I must a missed the part where the address changed. I just sent mine in last week (previous post to yours) and my tags are already on the way back to me from SD. I just used the two forms as mentioned in the first post and used the exact address posted in the first post. Just did everything the OP said to do. The only additional thing they wanted when they e-mailed me was the color of my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by lloydstrans View Post
    The address was edited in the first post at the end of 2013 thanks to crash279.
    Whoops, didn't realize it was edited to match the new/correct address. Thanks!
    Fingers crossed I can find my bill of sale. Bought the bike new but that was back in 2001! Hoping this goes smoothly, been dreaming of a plate on this for years.
    xr400
    HD fxdx

Default California

Just got done getting a CA plate. Cali people, PM me if you want help.

Default Wisconsin

I am from Wisconsin and I am trying to get a plate and title for my 2000 kx 250 2 stroke.

Okay so I have spend the last 4 hrs trying to ready most of this post, now I have just a few questions.

Is there anyone that has done this process with a 2 stroke?

I have the first two forms filled out and they are ready to be sent in, but there is a problem.....
    I do not have a title or Mso (none were issued) but I found the form that states you can get a title made for the bike.
    Form MV-215 https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secur...gistration.pdf
    Has anyone else had to use this method?

I just want to make sure I have everything straight before I finally send everything in.

Thanks for the help...

It works with2 stroke

Default issues with phone number

i just received an email from Katie tibbets,telling to call for start the process.
    what happen is i tried to call the phone number theshe eleave on the mail and nobody a nswer the phone. i mean,i tries almost all day.
    anybody in here had the same problems?
    somebody have a alternative number?
    i mailed her back about the issue but had no response.
    tanks in advance people

Quote Originally Posted by Nuno Pires View Post
    i just received an email from Katie tibbets,telling to call for start the process.
    what happen is i tried to call the phone number theshe eleave on the mail and nobody a nswer the phone. i mean,i tries almost all day.
    anybody in here had the same problems?
    somebody have a alternative number?
    i mailed her back about the issue but had no response.
    tanks in advance people
    If you tried calling back today, you won't get a response as it's a Federal holiday (Veteran's day).

Quote Originally Posted by crowknows View Post
    If you tried calling back today, you won't get a response as it's a Federal holiday (Veteran's day).
    You beat me to it.

Update: I've had a sd plate on my WR426 for about 3 months now in CA with no problems from the cops. Guess I've been lucky. Oh and I went to the dmv today and walked out with CA plates and registration. Should have my new title in 4-6 weeks. I'm going to call this a successful transfer. Thanks everyone who updates this thread!!!

Am I better off sending in a title that states "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY" or sending in no title and the correct paper work?
    xr400
    HD fxdx

Just call today to south dakota to make the payment,my plates are on the mail, everythings goes smooth and tha ladie are nice to talk to..
    now lets see how it goes with the mass police...
    another sucess story.

Worked great thanks!!!!!!!

Worked great thanks!!!!!!!
    look at all these awesome bikes getting their road papers.

so easy, so simple, so cheap, when people read the thread and DO IT instead of worrying about the sky falling

couldn't find any paperwork from buying the bike 14 years ago, so sending my info with a (b.s.) bill of sale...fingers crossed.
    xr400
    HD fxdx

I read the entire thread and actually registered to ask a few questions.

People who have done this in Florida..

If I were to buy a dirt bike what would be the best case title scenario(besides already plated)? Would it be better to buy a dirt bike in GA, plate it through SD or just buy one in FL and plate it through SD(I live near GA but in FL)?

Basically looking to buy a dirt bike and use this method to plate it from scratch(own a couple of dual sports).

To everyone else..

Has anyone done this process and sold their bike later on?
    Did it add value?

Quote Originally Posted by CheapoWes View Post
    I read the entire thread and actually registered to ask a few questions.

People who have done this in Florida..

1) If I were to buy a dirt bike what would be the best case title scenario(besides already plated)? Would it be better to buy a dirt bike in GA, plate it through SD or just buy one in FL and plate it through SD(I live near GA but in FL)? Basically looking to buy a dirt bike and use this method to plate it from scratch(own a couple of dual sports).

To everyone else..

2) Has anyone done this process and sold their bike later on? Did it add value?
    1- this is just a process to get a street legal title, which will be exactly like any other street legal title. if your state (florida/whatever) requires EXTRA crap like lights/smog/certifications on TOP of the title, then yes, you'll have to do that. titles transfer from state to state, unless it's a weirdo place that has EXTRA crap. ;-)

2- of course it will add value, but it's not magic. if your bike was worth $2500 before, it's not a signed-by-pam-anderson race replica worth $80,000 ;-)

just do it. ride the bike. know every time you do, you're getting away with... nothing.

The title and registration just showed up from South Dakota
    It clearly says dirt on both the title and the registration
    is this still considered street legal in my state of Wisconsin?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WisconsinXR650R; 11-26-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Cool

The title and registration just showed up from South Dakota
    It clearly says dirt on both the title and the registration
    is this still considered street legal in my state of Wisconsin?

Looking closely at the photos, I noticed it says "Body : Dirt". I think they mean that's just the body style, as opposed to M/C. Unless they specifically told you otherwise, I don't imagine it'd be something to worry about, after all, it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission. Also, I have my XR650R plated down here in NC. It's had a plate for less than 10 days and I've been tearing it up all over. Haven't gotten a second look from the police, and as you know, I'm sure, the uncorked 650R isn't quiet when you're hard on the throttle...

Advertisement
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast