Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike! - Page 2
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike!

Quote Originally Posted by LMW1970 View Post
    So now that it is confirmed that you can register a bike in SD the true test is to see how easy it is to transfer the registration to the state you live in. We all know that you can ride around with a SD tag but eventually the law will get you for not have it registered in the state you reside in.
    student status maybe.....
    2009 Yamaha FZ6 "Yoko"
    ** slot open for Street Tard **
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon "Helga"
    1988 Ugly GMC Worktruck

Advertisement

Being military, ive had a local address and out of state plates--->with my local address for years. Everybody does.

Cops never have asked me why.

And if nothing else, just wait a month and get a title from from your state with you clean SD title? Yeah, you have to register it again, but all the potential wishy-washy stuff is gone. It's the price of a new tire again
    looking for a XR650R SM....

'96 Honda XR250/300 plated, '89 Honda Transalp-current
    '08 Husky 510TE/SM, '07 Husky 610SM, '09 Husky 450SMR,'10 Husky 310TE/SM-all sold
    Sikorsky UH-60L- borrowed daily

Default signing title?

just dropped my application in the mail and immediately after, realized that i didnt sign anything on my title...... Is that going to be kicked back? i dont remember seeing anything in the original post about signing it.
    2010 WR250X (STOLEN!!)
    2006 KTM 450 EXC

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

God bless South Dakota

I am seriously considering this because I have a beautiful cr500af that needs sumo wheels. My only worry is that mc vs atv/dirt designation on the sd title. I can pass all the other bs but when i go to transfer this to pa if it says dirt its not gonna fly at all. They are gonna reject it and then im out of luck and just wasted money. Is there any way to tell how your bike will come back? Maybe call and ask?
    2003 Wr450f Sumo
    2004 Buell Xb12s
    2001 Cr500AF Dirt

I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death-DeltaOne

looking for crf250x on Craigslist now. i want to try this.

Quote Originally Posted by WRSumo450 View Post
    I am seriously considering this because I have a beautiful cr500af that needs sumo wheels. My only worry is that mc vs atv/dirt designation on the sd title. I can pass all the other bs but when i go to transfer this to pa if it says dirt its not gonna fly at all. They are gonna reject it and then im out of luck and just wasted money. Is there any way to tell how your bike will come back? Maybe call and ask?
    +1 on this - I have the same concern/question here in VA.

A related concern - I already have my bike titled in VA (as an ATV). If I go through this process to street title and plate it in South Dakota, then come back a few months later to transfer my South Dakota STREET title back to VA...is VA going to have my old ATV title on record and that raise a red flag???

My S. Dakota title doesn't say anything about dirt or atv. It states year, make, model, and body which jsut says road/str. I'm assuming "str" is short for street. The title does however show that Illinois was the original title state so if I take it back into my local DMV it may raise a flag, but we're talking about govt employees processeing thousands of titles. I don't think they will be paying that close attention. Who's to say that you didn't buy the bike here but take it to S. Dakaota and leave it at your hunting ground up there, but decided to bring it back, or you were attending school up there and needed something for campus but now you dropped out and are back at your parents house, etc. I think the DMV is your only hurdle once it passes there I'm sure most everything else is automated and not very closely monitored. Just have a plausable story and don't act like you have your hand in the cookie jar.
    2010 Yamaha WR250X SOLD
    2011 Triumph Speed Triple SE SOLD
    2012 Yamaha WR450F
    2014 Yamaha FZ09

Default Getting A title

Soo,

I read all of the posts on this thread and didn't see anything about actually obtaining a title. I live in Hawaii and they don't issue titles for Dirtbikes. Anybody know a way around this? Its an CRF150 and I wouldn't mind throwing some street tires on it for the wife..

Quote Originally Posted by Juster131 View Post
    Soo,

I read all of the posts on this thread and didn't see anything about actually obtaining a title. I live in Hawaii and they don't issue titles for Dirtbikes. Anybody know a way around this? Its an CRF150 and I wouldn't mind throwing some street tires on it for the wife..
    Do you get a MSO or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by crash279 View Post
    Do you get a MSO or something like that?
    No MSO, I did a VIN check and have detailed bill of sale. The guy I bought it off of had the bike for about two years and never received it from the previous owner, being that I live on an island I might be able to locate the original dealer.. Do they keep MSO's?

Quote Originally Posted by Juster131 View Post
    No MSO, I did a VIN check and have detailed bill of sale. The guy I bought it off of had the bike for about two years and never received it from the previous owner, being that I live on an island I might be able to locate the original dealer.. Do they keep MSO's?
    Some keep them for a certain amount of time. If a title was never issued they might could release something.

The dmv or a title company should be able to at least look up your MSO with ur VIN.

Received my plate in the mail today!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It works! My registration definitely says ATV as the body style... not sure why but DONT CARE. If they gave me a plate, im riding it on the street lol. Plus being in the military, its not uncommon to have mismatched plates/license/insurance so im just gonna keep the SD plates and not bother switching it. I can also play dumb if I do get pulled over.
    2010 WR250X (STOLEN!!)
    2006 KTM 450 EXC

Quote Originally Posted by holdfast View Post
    The dmv or a title company should be able to at least look up your MSO with ur VIN.

Received my plate in the mail today!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It works! My registration definitely says ATV as the body style... not sure why but DONT CARE. If they gave me a plate, im riding it on the street lol. Plus being in the military, its not uncommon to have mismatched plates/license/insurance so im just gonna keep the SD plates and not bother switching it. I can also play dumb if I do get pulled over.
    Congrats! I have put only about 60 miles on mine so far due to weather or work. But passed by several cops without even a glance.

I do know I need a bigger gas tank! The light comes on after 30 miles of riding.

Default straight foward question

all of the crs crfs have an off road title only , they convert it on sd to an on road title ? is that it ? alot off confusion on this post , when you send your off road only title you get a plate from sd and title yes or no? can someone answer that simple question . thanks guys

Default lba

i have registered bikes via other routes and it was a pita , the mso or whateever blbalblabla is not the issue the issue is if the old title says off road only. that is the issue. not being pulled over with an out of sate tag. that does not matter once you have a tag all states will transfer them to your state so to worry about that is retarded , the mayor problem is the title, off road shit , if in sd they are changing your title designation and sending you a tag then that is the best news i have heard in years is that true ? please clarify the issue thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by dya122681 View Post
    all of the crs crfs have an off road title only , they convert it on sd to an on road title ? is that it ? alot off confusion on this post , when you send your off road only title you get a plate from sd and title yes or no? can someone answer that simple question . thanks guys
    Read the first post in this thread. It gives you the step by step process. To answer your question. Yes if you have a title in your name it doesn't matter what it says about off road only. You send it and everything else in post one to s. Dakota and they will send you a plate and a new s. Dakota title that says road/ street.
    2010 Yamaha WR250X SOLD
    2012 Yamaha WR450F
    2014 Yamaha FZ09

Items for Sale

Default Cali

Sorry if someone else already mentioned this, or I'm just being dumb (I only skimmed through this thread). If I took a.. say... 08 CRF 450 and did this whole thing, would I be able to transfer it to Cali since it would then have the street title? Cali laws bug me, I can't find the page with the specifics anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCross View Post
    Sorry if someone else already mentioned this, or I'm just being dumb (I only skimmed through this thread). If I took a.. say... 08 CRF 450 and did this whole thing, would I be able to transfer it to Cali since it would then have the street title? Cali laws bug me, I can't find the page with the specifics anywhere.
    In ca from what I've heard you only need to show that it has more than 7500 miles on it and maybe have it ready for inspection at the dmv. Just ride it 7500 miles in the time you have the sd plate. The police shouldn't pull you over unless you're doing something wrong or they see you really often. They'd have to notice the sd plate again after 30 days. The vehicle is supposed to be registered in the state if you're there more than 30 days...

Quote Originally Posted by TachOutOffRoad View Post
    Being military, ive had a local address and out of state plates--->with my local address for years. Everybody does.

Cops never have asked me why.

And if nothing else, just wait a month and get a title from from your state with you clean SD title? Yeah, you have to register it again, but all the potential wishy-washy stuff is gone. It's the price of a new tire again
    Are you in Alabama now or from al?

Default title

have yet to see a CRF plated in calif. hope somebody will chime in on this. ithe bike would have had to go through the carb process from calif, along with aqmd requirements when it was originally mfg. from what i gather. if it wasn?t plateable from honda in calif, don?t think it will happen. do go to AAA and ask them to run the VIN and they will tell you, without red raging the bike. DMV won?t do that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by huskyfrk View Post
    have yet to see a CRF plated in calif. hope somebody will chime in on this. ithe bike would have had to go through the carb process from calif, along with aqmd requirements when it was originally mfg. from what i gather. if it wasn?t plateable from honda in calif, don?t think it will happen. do go to AAA and ask them to run the VIN and they will tell you, without red raging the bike. DMV won?t do that for you.
    My yz125 is plated in ca. And I didn't do anything special to get it. Haha. Just went in and got my plate and left...

Just got my sticker renewal notice in the mail. Called and made credit card payment by phone new registration and sticker is in the mail. Easy peasy Japanesie
    2010 Yamaha WR250X SOLD
    2012 Yamaha WR450F
    2014 Yamaha FZ09

What would be the process if your bike is financed and the bank has the title?

What it generally cost to get everything done? Tax, tag, title, registration?
    This is the interwebs. You don't admit when you're wrong. You just bring it down to personal attacks against sexual preference, the opponents mother or at the very least past grammar mistakes. RGP's: 5

Check out my Vlog: Zabrow187 Vlog

Quote Originally Posted by Zabrow187 View Post
    What it generally cost to get everything done? Tax, tag, title, registration?
    Mine was about $60 for a brand new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by scott525 View Post
    Mine was about $60 for a brand new bike.
    New bike was only $60? Mine was a 2012 and was over $250?

Any problems trying this with 2 strokes ?

Quote Originally Posted by drjellyfingers View Post
    Any problems trying this with 2 strokes ?
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by dcflw View Post
    New bike was only $60? Mine was a 2012 and was over $250?
    Its because I am so good looking!

But yea, thats all I paid.

It comes down to if you paid taxes on your bike when you purchased it and have the paperwork to prove it. If you do not have the paperwork, SD will make you pay taxes at the time you register it in their state.

Also on a side note, even if you do not have a title or MSO, you can still get your bike registered in SD for street duty. From what I have found from emailing them, if you have a current offroad registration in your current state, that is sufficient as long as your forms (registration, atv affidavit that is notarized, copy of you driver license). Now if you purchased a bike that was repossessed, you will also need an affidavit of repossession and a copy of the security agreement from the previous owner
    Last edited by KGAWDTSi; 02-04-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KGAWDTSi View Post
    It comes down to if you paid taxes on your bike when you purchased it and have the paperwork to prove it. If you do not have the paperwork, SD will make you pay taxes at the time you register it in their state.

that makes sense

I'm about to do this how much do i make the check out for i keep hearing lots of different things? Also you can handwrite everything in those forms right?
    Last edited by dakota123; 02-09-2014 at 11:37 AM.

FYI Montana does self cert that a dirt bike has all street equipment then issues a street title, can even street reg' ATV UTV don't know if they do via mail though ? 1 other unique think about MT is that bikes are a permanent lifetime registration, they do not require insurance on bikes crazy as it sounds. I've do 3 bikes so far, even a GasGas trials bike
    Follow us on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/groups/434484236682133/

Previous bikes
    00 Husaberg FE650e, 94 Husaberg FE501, 02 GasGas 321, 06 Ducati 999R,
    06 MV Agusta F1000R, 05 MV Agusta Brutale 750, KX500, CBR900 etc etc

Has any one tried this with a bike with a bill of sale only

what happened to that first link?!? its not working anymore

May run into a problem with the insurance. My agent called and asked for the VIN. Said the insurance company called them to verify the VIN was correct.
    I sent a copy of my SD title and registration card so we shall see.

May run into a problem with the insurance. My agent called and asked for the VIN. Said the insurance company called them to verify the VIN was correct.
    I sent a copy of my SD title and registration card so we shall see.
    If the bike is titled then you're good with the insurance company.

Quote Originally Posted by crash279 View Post
    If the bike is titled then you're good with the insurance company.
    Thats what I think too. That why I sent copies showing that its legal. They may ask why SD =Ga thing but seriously I dont know why its a big deal. Cops and insurance companies should not even care about dirt bikes on the street. Its not like we can out run cops, and if the bike hits the pavement,we just pick it up and ride home.

Thats what I think too. That why I sent copies showing that its legal. They may ask why SD =Ga thing but seriously I dont know why its a big deal. Cops and insurance companies should not even care about dirt bikes on the street. Its not like we can out run cops, and if the bike hits the pavement,we just pick it up and ride home.

I had a similar problem with a Chinese bike that I street legaled in CA (by use of magic, not the SD trick). The insurance company took awhile to figure out what to do. About a week or so, they ended up calling it a scooter since it was a 250cc. ha.

I spoke with my insurance company (Progressive) prior to buying the bike, and they said as long as it has a street legal title and plate they would cover it for road use.
    2010 Yamaha WR250X SOLD
    2012 Yamaha WR450F
    2014 Yamaha FZ09

Subscribed

Thank you very much for the information, Im VERY close to trying this because I cant seem to find a nice SM in my city.

My question is, What if I buy the bike from a private seller and get the title from them? will that still be fine since its not new? and is that when ill have to pay taxes with SD?

Ill be keeping an eye on this thread.

hey got a title question! my cycle is a 2002 crf450r. title is illinois. it doesnt have stated for off road use only on title. says the vin,year ,make, model is blank, body style motorcycle ,and lists the cc 450. my question is how likely could i get it plated? i bought this years ago.but never changed the title in my name. and currently going towards supermoto it.and plate it for the street. so good reason to go down to dmv and see.

Default plate

every state will b different ..

Quote Originally Posted by sportmotob77 View Post
    hey got a title question! my cycle is a 2002 crf450r. title is illinois. it doesnt have stated for off road use only on title. says the vin,year ,make, model is blank, body style motorcycle ,and lists the cc 450. my question is how likely could i get it plated? i bought this years ago.but never changed the title in my name. and currently going towards supermoto it.and plate it for the street. so good reason to go down to dmv and see.
    might as well try it

Quote Originally Posted by KGAWDTSi View Post
    Also on a side note, even if you do not have a title or MSO, you can still get your bike registered in SD for street duty. From what I have found from emailing them, if you have a current offroad registration in your current state, that is sufficient as long as your forms (registration, atv affidavit that is notarized, copy of you driver license). Now if you purchased a bike that was repossessed, you will also need an affidavit of repossession and a copy of the security agreement from the previous owner
    You're certain of this? I've never owned a dirtbike with a title because here in kansas you aren't required to register them, therefore NO ONE does.
    this is a horrible problem for people who want to supermoto.

but I think you can do an offroad registration (it's mainly for getting insurance if you dont have a title) with just a bill of sale.
    If I can get my bikes plated with no title....... because I have no idea how to go about getting a title or MSO for a 2001 bike

Quote Originally Posted by Bowze View Post
    You're certain of this? I've never owned a dirtbike with a title because here in kansas you aren't required to register them, therefore NO ONE does.
    this is a horrible problem for people who want to supermoto.

but I think you can do an offroad registration (it's mainly for getting insurance if you dont have a title) with just a bill of sale.
    If I can get my bikes plated with no title....... because I have no idea how to go about getting a title or MSO for a 2001 bike
    That is the info they told me when I emailed them. My state does not title off road vehicles so we only have a bill of sale. They told me if I have an off road registration that is all that is needed along with their forms. I have not tried it yet as I do not even have an off road registration yet

Went out Fedex today. The wait begins. Sent with the Post one instructions and MCO (Manufactures Certificate of Origin).

Quote Originally Posted by sportmotob77 View Post
    well no luck at my local dmv. I talked with a very nice lady from sd office which I will be sending my title to.

Advertisement
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast