Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike! - Page 24
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 1356

Thread: Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike!

Thank you for the help. I realize that I wasn't clear on a few things. I live in MD. (which doesn't really matter) But the title is in the original owners name.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by CrawfishStu View Post
    Thank you for the help. I realize that I wasn't clear on a few things. I live in MD. (which doesn't really matter) But the title is in the original owners name.
    Make sure he signed the release section on the title and you have filled out the "transfer to me" sections before you send it off.
    His, 2012 Yamaha WR450f Hers, 2010 Husky TE250.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinepig View Post
    Well then the next step is actually obtaining one. I'd bet your state has the info on how to do that online. Then it's just a matter of jumping through their hoops.
    Went back to the DMV yesterday to ask someone else what my options were. They said there was nothing they could do to help me aside from giving me the number to the license and theft bureau. Said to contact them and ask how to obtain proof of ownership

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by slimm250 View Post
    Trying to do SD. I contacted SD and they stated that they can't do anything without atleast an MSO or BOS. I'm trying to figure out how I can get info on my bike, like a vehicle history report with maybe the original owners name or something in regards to the title. I would assume I would have to get PA to do the VIN search/report due to the fact that it was originally bought at Bromleys in PA. If it was never title or registered here in my state then my state would not have any info in regards to title info.

The thread states to send in a title/MSO..which I have neither.
    no, the point of the thread is to title a dirt bike, which was previously never titled. not hunting down previous owners, add lights, or your local DMV issues.

send south Dakota a bill of sale, all their magic papers, and get a title/tag from them in return.

see the difference? :-)

Update from a VIRGINIA resident. I went to the DMV today and presented my SD title and filled out a title and registration form for VA. She couldn't figure out how to verify that I paid SD taxes but I said don't worry about it and just paid the minimum VA taxes. Got my VA title and plate. I'm so super happy. Thanks again for creating this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Sebeckis View Post
    Update from a VIRGINIA resident. I went to the DMV today and presented my SD title and filled out a title and registration form for VA. She couldn't figure out how to verify that I paid SD taxes but I said don't worry about it and just paid the minimum VA taxes. Got my VA title and plate. I'm so super happy. Thanks again for creating this thread!
    You sir are going to cripple the whole thread. How dare you be a responsible person and actually transfer the registration into the state in which you reside. Such blasphemy. The utter nerve. I hope your VA plate gets ground to dust doing wheelies.

Good job,😉.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just got my SD plate for my 2006 CRF450R. I was going to transfer to FL but three of my vin numbers have rubbed off from my throttle cable. GREAT

Quote Originally Posted by Crescent1101 View Post
    Just got my SD plate for my 2006 CRF450R. I was going to transfer to FL but three of my vin numbers have rubbed off from my throttle cable. GREAT
    Find some stamps that are the same..... Wack wack Like new

Default One more 450 on the road!

Called to give South Dakota some fun coupons and in return have a plate in the mail on its way to me. I did this without a title and just a bill of sale. Time to get some warp 9s to make it officially a sumo.

P.S. If you use just a bill of sale, they might ask for a form from the previous owner notarized stating that it was sold to you without a title. This happend too me but luckily I bought my bike from a dealer so I didn't have to go far to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by RyGuy83 View Post
    I did read the beginning and i was just wondering how it worked out for anyone who lives in New Jersey? Im thinking about trying to do this with a SSR 110 or 125. I would be buying new and have the MSO. Think i would run into any problems? Anyone who has had success with this that lives in Jersey would love to hear how it went and what bike you used.
    thanks,

Ry
    i want to try this too in NJ, any success there?

Quote Originally Posted by nix450x View Post
    Called to give South Dakota some fun coupons and in return have a plate in the mail on its way to me. I did this without a title and just a bill of sale. Time to get some warp 9s to make it officially a sumo.

P.S. If you use just a bill of sale, they might ask for a form from the previous owner notarized stating that it was sold to you without a title. This happend too me but luckily I bought my bike from a dealer so I didn't have to go far to do so.
    I love when they ask for a bill of sale, or notorized letter, etc. and people get worried. Just sell it to a friend and buy it back with all the required paperwork. Simple.
    Use the search button!!!
    Cool Enduro!! No its a SuperMoto ........nevermind.
    2-Strokes for life!
    2006 DRZ400SM Sold, 1984 Z50R SOLD, 2001 XR100, 2002 YZ250 SM Sold, 88 Hawk GT RC31, 04 CR85 SM! 2008 Husky SM510R, 2001 KTM200EXC

Default Title copy

Anyone know if a copy of the title will work? Not to sure about signing the title and then putting it in the mail.
    Thanks
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Action View Post
    Anyone know if a copy of the title will work? Not to sure about signing the title and then putting it in the mail.
    Thanks
    Jack
    Pretty sure that want the original. Cuts down on illegal activity. Here in CA you surrender your old title in order to receive a new title. Just how it works.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I am in Florida and have A 2009 KX450F .. I will be installing the brake light, headlight and a key / cylinder / switch and kickstand.. I have all the paperwork out and I had a couple questions before I mail everything off...

1. Is this process still working flawlessly?

2. Do I need to include a bill of sale? What should I put on it to keep the costs resonable ?

3. Any other tips on the overall process?

thanks

Default Ca. truck drivers?

Just wondering what they do with all the Ca. truck drivers driving out of state trucks where nothing matches?
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by the_senator View Post
    Well if you want to rider in CA, you need to have a 250cc bike or bigger to ride on CA highways. Also, if you ride in CA with any other state plates, they will pull you over. You have 10 days in CA to register your bike and get a CA driver license, otherwise find room for all the tickets you'll get. You may ask, how does the CHP know I don't live in SD or how do they know how long you've been in CA? Well, once they pull you over for any reason, they will ask for your CA license, CA insurance with an address matching your license and registration. If they all don't match, you get 3 tickets. Once they see a bike with any state plates, they will notify all CHP in the area and they'll eventually get you. Not sure what other states do but these guys don't mess around.

Just wondering what they do with all the Ca. truck drivers driving out of state trucks where nothing matches?
    Jack
    Lot of times the stuff not in their name so it doesn't matter

What are you all putting for selling price on the bill of sale?

Quote Originally Posted by davdoc0011 View Post
    Just put something believable, you don't have to insult their intelligence in your quest to do a slightly shady act.

A 2009 KX450F, that ought to be worth 2 bucks. Kawasaki was still in business in 2009? What is a 7 year old dirt bike going for in Fla.? I would take a stab at $1,500 to $2,500 for a real cream puff. I'm in California so every thing on CL is overpriced, especially bobbers and naked bikes. Just keep in mind you only get one try at this so don't go and dick it up trying to save 2 bucks in taxes. What did you actually pay for it? Shave a few bucks off that sum. I paid KBB for my KTM and felt guilty as sin declaring that number. Here it'll get kick out if it is a stupid number and go to review. Not quite sure how it would play out in SD, but, as I said why chance it?

Good luck, and wheelie on.

Thumbs up Waiting

Just sent off my paper work.....Followed every detail....Now it is just wait and see......Keeping fingers crossed....LOL.....
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by davdoc0011 View Post
    some people put the assessed value (look it up online for your area) others put what they paid for it. some lie and say $200 hoping to get a break on tax assessments. i just told them what i paid and then paid the bill. i was very happy to get a street legal title and tag for less than $70.

I looked at the documents on page 1 and was wondering if it is possible to plate a bike under 200cc? From my understanding it would be fine but you are not permitted to ride interstates, which I am completely okay with. I would do all the necessary modifications to make it legal, I simply wouldn't check the 200cc box, does this sound right? I have little 125cc deal that would be perfect to be a test dummy for this..

EDIT_
    On page 12 someone asked about asked about plating a pit bike, so its kinda similar.
    http://dor.sd.gov/Motor_Vehicles/Tit...torcycles.aspx

So if I buy this 125 and it has a tittle/mso I only send in title with the second form (the long registration one)?

I finally decided to join after lurking for way way tooooooo long

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by 86indy; 10-05-2016 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 86indy View Post
    I simply wouldn't check the 200cc box, does this sound right?

So if I buy this 125 and it has a tittle/mso I only send in title with the second form (the long registration one)?
    If the title/MSO you send in has the cc's listed, I don't think it will go your way.
    I would suggest using the "bill of sale" method.
    I live for this

2001 XR650LSM,Clark tank,Warp 9 wheels,Avon Distanzia's,40mm FCR -MX carb,UNI Filter,Marko Header,White brothers E2 muffler,CRF450R USD forks & triples,BRP SUB Mount,Scott's Damper,MotoMaster racing caliper & Rotor,Brembo 16/18 Radial MC,15-43 gearing.

Okay Ill try and give them a ring tomorrow. Id like to avoid being the guy whos SOL lol

I live in Florida and I am just relaying information and my experience in this situation to try to avoid others hassle and wasting time. Not trying to burst anyones bubble. Yes, you can use this method to get a SD street title and plate. BUT, if the bike has ever been titled in Florida as an OHV, the VIN number is branded for life in the state of Florida. Therefore, you will never be able to register it as a street legal motorcycle in Fl. I have gone to two different DMV offices and a regional inspections office. All three have given me the same information. They said the only way to make this happen is to buy an out of state bike and title it in SD before bringing it to FL. I understand this thread is about getting a street legal title and plate from SD, but in Fl it is illegal to use here if you are a resident. Another option would be to buy a frame frome out of state and then do the paperwork with that but I didnt feel like going that route because I would rather just keep my bike for motocross. After a few months of trying every option available, i gave up and bought a new FZ-09 instead

I just called and talked to a very nice lady, she told me in order to plate my 125 to use the following forms, just to cover all my bases.

1) State of South Dakota Application for Motor Vehicle Title & Registration (SD E-form 0864 V18)
    https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secur...gistration.pdf

2) FOUR WHEEL, ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE AFFIDAVIT (SD E-form 1792 V1)
    https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secur...eAffidavit.pdf

3) South Dakota Affidavit For Rebuilt Motor Vehicle (SD E-form 0859 V2)
    https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secur...torVehicle.pdf

4) Copy of license

5) Title/MSO

My only concern is it comes back with a rebuilt title status...
    I think I might give it a go either way..

Default Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike!

3) South Dakota Affidavit For Rebuilt Motor Vehicle (SD E-form 0859 V2)
    https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secur...torVehicle.pdf

My only concern is it comes back with a rebuilt title status...
    I think I might give it a go either way..
    Here in Michigan if you fill out that form, you WILL get back a rebuilt title.

I've been down that road and did the two step around it.
    I live for this

2001 XR650LSM,Clark tank,Warp 9 wheels,Avon Distanzia's,40mm FCR -MX carb,UNI Filter,Marko Header,White brothers E2 muffler,CRF450R USD forks & triples,BRP SUB Mount,Scott's Damper,MotoMaster racing caliper & Rotor,Brembo 16/18 Radial MC,15-43 gearing.

Thumbs up Sd

Just sent $59.37 to SD.......Was told plate will be in the mail tomorrow........

Just sent off my paper work.....Followed every detail....Now it is just wait and see......Keeping fingers crossed....LOL.....
    Jack

Default Happy

All smiles here.......................
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ktroyer2265 View Post
    I live in Florida and I am just relaying information and my experience in this situation to try to avoid others hassle and wasting time. Not trying to burst anyones bubble. Yes, you can use this method to get a SD street title and plate. BUT, if the bike has ever been titled in Florida as an OHV, the VIN number is branded for life in the state of Florida. Therefore, you will never be able to register it as a street legal motorcycle in Fl. I have gone to two different DMV offices and a regional inspections office. All three have given me the same information. They said the only way to make this happen is to buy an out of state bike and title it in SD before bringing it to FL. I understand this thread is about getting a street legal title and plate from SD, but in Fl it is illegal to use here if you are a resident. Another option would be to buy a frame frome out of state and then do the paperwork with that but I didnt feel like going that route because I would rather just keep my bike for motocross. After a few months of trying every option available, i gave up and bought a new FZ-09 instead
    why would someone register a bike as OHV ? what are the benefits of doing so ?

if my motorcycle was in that situation i would change frames. no way i would let something as simple as a frame swap stop me.

All smiles here.......................
    Did your registration come back as END or OFF?

Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    why would someone register a bike as OHV ? what are the benefits of doing so ?

if my motorcycle was in that situation i would change frames. no way i would let something as simple as a frame swap stop me.
    Not the desired type but here in NJ they will take your bike if it is not registered.. Not that OHV is what we want but it it better than nothing if not able to get a street title.. Would prevent some issues. In NJ you can register a OHV without a title.. Not many do and it really only prevents confiscation and tickets for that.. Does not give you any right to ride on state lands unlike a street title. I too would swap a frame if it was possible and would enable a street tile in a heartbeat.

Default Success here

I just had to sign up and give kudos to all the folks here and this thread.. I successfully went through this for a 07 WR250f and received a END registration.. I know others that have and received a OFF registration and would encourage them to contact SD to get it resolved as the affidavit is swearing to a conversion for that option (which I did add a full kit to mine for what it's worth to be legit).. If it comes back otherwise you should question it. Maybe it is just a error but don't think it is the end.. You paid for a conversion & street title and that is what you should get.

Thanks again.. hope to see many more support SD.. I have no plans as of now to transfer to my state (NJ) unless it becomes a issues with the authorities over time.. My preference is to support SD and their laid back laws to permit this.. Heck.. I now want to go there and see what the great state is all about.. The riding seems incredible. Hopefully one day I can.
    Last edited by sdynak; 10-16-2016 at 05:51 AM. Reason: added info

Default Atv

Mine came with ATV

Quote Originally Posted by sdynak View Post
    Did your registration come back as END or OFF?

Mine came with ATV
    Interesting.. seems that would be the same as END at least my interpretation ..

So how does SD contact you for payment? I dont think I put a telephone # on my paperwork?

Quote Originally Posted by selztoad View Post
    So how does SD contact you for payment? I dont think I put a telephone # on my paperwork?
    I typed up a letter and provided my phone and e-mail with the paperwork.. Initial response from them was e-mail then a call the next day to make the actual payment..

They sent an invoice w/payment options.

Is the mailing address on page 1 up to date? Or can someone provide the new one. Thanks!

Is the mailing address on page 1 up to date? Or can someone provide the new one. Thanks!
    It is updated..

Pennington County Treasurer's Office
    130 Kansas City St. Ste 250
    Rapid City SD 57701
    605-394-2163
    605-394-6810 (Fax)

It is updated..

Pennington County Treasurer's Office
    130 Kansas City St. Ste 250
    Rapid City SD 57701
    605-394-2163
    605-394-6810 (Fax)
    Thank you, Id rather be safe than sorry.

Default got a DRZ400e

Just bought it yesterday, sending my paperwork in today. Hoping this works out. Ill let everyone know.

Quote Originally Posted by zlabarre View Post
    Just bought it yesterday, sending my paperwork in today. Hoping this works out. Ill let everyone know.
    Good luck Brother!!!

Not the desired type but

1- here in NJ they will take your bike if it is not registered.. Not that OHV is what we want but it it better than nothing if not able to get a street title.. Would prevent some issues.

2- In NJ you can register a OHV without a title.. Not many do and it really

3- only prevents confiscation and tickets for that..
    4- Does not give you any right to ride on state lands unlike a street title.
    5- I too would swap a frame if it was possible and would enable a street tile in a heartbeat.
    1- so NJ is encouraging people to NOT register their bikes AND to run from the popo instead of allowing them to register and insure them ? if you do register your bike you only get OHV, and can't ride it on the road.... counterproductive it seems.
    2- but there are no benefits to the ohv registration?
    3- if you stop, which is highly unlikely given the 'we will take your bike' thing
    4- still not a benefit to ohv
    5- ok, so get to it. it's a saturday morning to swap everything from one frame to another. SD will gladly help you with the stuff that makes sense

1- so NJ is encouraging people to NOT register their bikes AND to run from the popo instead of allowing them to register and insure them ? if you do register your bike you only get OHV, and can't ride it on the road.... counterproductive it seems.
    2- but there are no benefits to the ohv registration?
    3- if you stop, which is highly unlikely given the 'we will take your bike' thing
    4- still not a benefit to ohv
    5- ok, so get to it. it's a saturday morning to swap everything from one frame to another. SD will gladly help you with the stuff that makes sense
    No.. the OHV registration will "prevent" confiscation and "some" tickets so there really is no reason to run from the LPO which is never a good thing to do anyway.. At that point you may get a ticket for trespassing if off road on public or state land but each situation can be different.. Just pointing out the laws in NJ not interpreting them.. Like I said.. better than nothing and it's your choice so do what is right for you..

No.. the OHV registration will "prevent" confiscation and "some" tickets so there really is no reason to run from the LPO which is never a good thing to do anyway.. At that point you may get a ticket for trespassing if off road on public or state land but each situation can be different.. Just pointing out the laws in NJ not interpreting them.. Like I said.. better than nothing and it's your choice so do what is right for you..
    you understand I'm not advocating running, just pointing out that kids WILL RUN if they think the cops will steal their motorcycle and crush it.

i still don't see a benefit in registering the bike ohv if it means you can't ever register it as Street. it's pretty stupid to disallow titling a bike one way because it's been titled another way. just inspect the vehicle and allow it, is my line of thinking. there is so little different between Street legal and 'ohv only' when you look at the hardware.

:-)

you understand I'm not advocating running, just pointing out that kids WILL RUN if they think the cops will steal their motorcycle and crush it.

i still don't see a benefit in registering the bike ohv if it means you can't ever register it as Street. it's pretty stupid to disallow titling a bike one way because it's been titled another way. just inspect the vehicle and allow it, is my line of thinking. there is so little different between Street legal and 'ohv only' when you look at the hardware.

:-)

I don't try to understand anyone.. hard enough understanding myself these days at my age.. LOL.. Like I said.. It's your choice to do what you want.. Only you can decide what is right or wrong for you.

Quote Originally Posted by nix450x View Post

Did you follow the directions from the guy at the beginning of the thread, just submit a notarized bill of sale instead of a title? I'm getting ready to go do this, am in TN.

Default Update

I sent all my paperwork in on Monday and received a response this morning. They weren't able to process my application because some things were incomplete. I followed the instructions directly from page one. Im not disappointed because at least my foot is in the door and its an easy fix. This is the email I just received.

Zachary,

We have received the title paperwork to transfer the title and register the bike in South Dakota. I am unable to process the transfer however as some of the forms included are incomplete.

1. Title application - Your mailing address, the color of the vehicle, and the type of fuel it uses - all of these items need to be on the application.

2. Four Wheel, All Terrain Vehicle Affidavit - the address of the individual(s) who are certifying the installation of the street legal is missing. A new notarized affidavit with the address included is required.

I have attached a copy of your application with the areas that need to be completed marked with an "X". Please make the necessary corrections and return the form to me. This form can be returned by mail, email, or fax

Also attached is a new Four Wheel Affidavit. Please fill this form completely, have the signature notarized and return the original form to us.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you,

So the only real inconvenience is the notary but whatever. This is probably case by case but I would send in all info filled out. hope this helps someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinepig View Post
    More California Success, It's key to get somebody at DMV that understands the nuances of the 7500 mile out of state transfer. Took me three tries at different DMVs to find a nice lady that knew her shit. The other two both wanted to see the federal secondary vin stickers that do not come on bikes originally built/sold as OHVs. Hell there is box to check for that very issue on the form they use and they wouldn't believe me that that's exactly what it was for.

I have a question I'm hoping you can help me with. I'm going to atttempt the transfer with a WR450F. I want to buy it in CA, get the SD plates, rack up 7500 miles or swap clusters, then transfer to CA.

My question is did you buy your bike in California? I don't want to have my VIN already come up as a green sticker OHV because I bought it in Cali.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
    Just got back from DMV. Although I had success, and do have a CA license plate, it was not as easy as my son had it. Here's some of the things to know:
    1. We both had to bring our bikes to DMV for vin verification. We both used our trucks to take them there, only when he went, the dmv girl just told him to read the numbers to her since she didn't want to jump into the truck. On mine, the guy made me take my bike out so he could verify the vin AND the engine number.
    Lesson 1: Bring your ramps if you bring the bike in the truck.
    2. Both DMV offices wanted to verify the CA emissions sticker. Once again, my son had it easy as they just asked him if it was on there. Mine, the guy inspected it HOWEVER, my bike was already loaded back into the truck so he viewed it from a couple feet away. I highly doubt he could actually read it from that distance. I read it to him.. and may have misplaced the words "EPA noise requirements" for "CA emissions requirements". I don't know.. I can't read very well.
    Lesson 2. If you don't have that sticker, go make one. Take a picture of one, and print it/stick it to the bike.
    3. My guy did verify that all the lights were there however didn't make me turn them on and he didn't check the tires for DOT marking. Mine are not DOT tires.
    Lesson 3: Have all your stuff on there and working just in case you get hard-nose guy like mine.
    4. Once back inside (after all this inspection) the desk girl told me I'd have to "non op" my off-road registration renewal when it comes because I'll get both renewals now. I don't see where this is relevant since it will never again be registered as an off-road bike. That would be the time they would see that it is not paid up. I may non-op it if it's cheap enough just to avoid any future problems when I sell it.
    5. DMV did ask me when I originally bought it, and made me pay sales tax on the amount. I told them I only paid $500 for the bike so it didn't cost me much. Be warned.
    6. My DMV office asked me what the odometer was. I told them that the original odo was destroyed however the bike has a little over 12k miles. They didn't buy that. All they cared about was what it said right now. This matters because you can't register a vehicle as "used" in CA if it does not have at least 7500 miles. Mine doesn't.. hence the little white lie. This is why they wanted the emissions sticker. Had it met the 7500 mile mark, it shouldn't need the emissions sticker check.

The take-a-way here is: it does work but be prepared to jump through a few hoops. BE NICE.. BE PATIENT

BIG THANK YOU to Crash279. It is such a relief to be plated !!!!
    I already asked this but I'm hoping I can ask another fellow CA member, I have a question I'm hoping you can help me with. I'm going to attempt the transfer with a WR450F. I want to buy it in CA, get the SD plates, rack up 7500 miles or swap clusters, then transfer to CA.

My question is did you buy your bike in California? I don't want to have my VIN already come up as a green sticker OHV because I bought it in Cali.

Advertisement
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast