SuperMoto Junkie banner

KTM SXF to Supermoto

171K views 661 replies 47 participants last post by  rrrr1rob 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, picked up this 2008 SXF 505 to turn into supermoto. I know it's not the ideal base for a SM given the 4-speed transmission, and I really would have preferred the fuel injected newer models with suspension linkage, but the price was right. $2500 and I've been wanting a KTM project to play with anyway. :D

See less See more
#33 ·
Caliper relocator bracket from Purte1 (Italy). The red one is for the CRF.

#34 ·
PDS shock cover

#36 ·
Grabbed this glide plate new off ebay for $50. It is the E-line one with kevlar and carbon fiber. First thing I noticed was how much beefier it is than the products I get through Light Speed. Wasn't going to go with carbon, but the price was right. It doesn't have the wings like the full skid plate, but I'm not likely to need them with the type of riding I will do with this.

#37 ·
Stuck this on the CRF's Marzocchi's for a reference btw.

#38 ·
Got some handguards shipped in from SupermotoDaz in the UK. A bit pricey, but a little more uncommon (over here anyway).

#41 ·
Thanks!

#46 ·
I didn't want this to blow up into a big topic, but my stance is powdercoat is safe. I have done it to frames, subframes, swing arms, sprockets, bolts, engine cases, wheels, fork tubes, cylinders, heads, etc. The list goes on. The factory frames are powdercoated. They have a lot riding on their reputation for putting out high quality products with paramount safety. I highly doubt they would risk lawsuits for putting out unsafe products.
Maybe you can have a bad experience if someone is not knowledgeable and they bake your stuff at temps in excess of 350~400 degrees F. Or you let the guy down the street powdercoat your goods with a blowtorch. Then again, there are low temp. setting powders where very little heat is necessary.
This is kind of like saying don't start your engine, because the heat will damage it.

#50 · (Edited)
Melting temperature of solid alumium is around 660?C (1220?F), if the swingarm is cast aluminium they add stuff that slightly lowers the melting point so its easier to cast. but not to the point powdercoating will affect this.

Chrome molybdene steel (CrMo wich KTM uses to build their frames) is a very ductile steel that will not harden (become brittle) unless you would rapidly cool it down after being heated above about 550?C (1022?F). Even with more fragile structures of steel or higher temperatures powdercoating would still be fairly ok because the whole part is being heated so it will always cool down much slower than for example a weld being done on that part. The heat from the weld (1500+ ?C) would rapidly cool down because of the heatsink of the colder part. Standard construction steel doesnt suffer from that problem because of the lower amounts of carbon it has. ChomeMoly has a reasonable amount of carbon in it, but you keep well below 550?C so there is no issue...

Some aluminium billet parts like 6000 (T6) series get their strenght out of heat treatments, if you powdercoat stuff like that it will drop the strenght by alot. But dont scare yourself on the frame and swingarm :)

#52 ·
I think the powdercoat topic can be closed up. I would like to add to 86fsb, your heart and concern are in the right place, and for that, Thank You. To each their own, if anyone still feels powdercoating is unsafe in this application, I encourage you to paint your frame instead.

#53 ·
Update. Sold the bike, and taking a slightly different approach. I will be having some items up for sale within the next week or so.

The sneaky things I was up to with the 2008... Bought some KTM Factory Edition graphics and plastics from the MY 2013 (my favorite). Along with 2013 seat, subframe, and 2 stroke gas tank (non-efi petcock).

#54 ·
Re-cut the SXF Factory Edition fork guard decals to fit my SMR ones.

#55 · (Edited)
The problems (as some of you are already aware), the panels don't integrate seamlessly.

The subrame is extremely close to working and with a small section removed from the right side would line up in all 4 mounting points. The exhaust even bolts right on!!

#56 ·
The 2008 airbox boot fits into the airbox, but doesn't reach the carbie. I tried 2 other boots and they were both a no-go.

#57 · (Edited)
The plastic misalignment was too much to ignore. So my dilema was get a 2011 frame and see if my motor fits, then worry about swingarm, linkage, moving my coil if need be (diff. mounting?), airbox adapter plate so that intake boot reaches the carb, etc. Looks like the crankcases are the same. Thanks Skully for your help on that. A little shy on that idea because I already bought a street legal frame for a 2008, already titled and registered. Didn't want to shell out another $1000 on that. Plus I still have wheels/ brakes to buy. The other route was to cut, re-position, and weld my current frame. Not a huge deal after considering the work of making a CR500 AF. Plus I planned on powdercoating anyway, so the frame would already be nice and freshly blasted to work with. It doesn't hurt my feelings to weld Cr-Mo, but I would prefer a bolt in affair. I have enough other "projects".
After a lot of contemplation which path to proceed, I decided to sell and just get a newer bike. I could have easily just done that in the first place considering all the $$ spent on parts so far. I sold the bike for the same thing I paid, so I didn't get hurt on that end. And I wasn't looking to score a profit. I just have to figure out exactly which model I want to get for a newer (or new maybe) bike, see what I have that will fit the new one, and sell the rest of the parts off. So probably, skid plate, exhaust, slipper clutch? maybe PDS shock cover depending which model I get, radiator hoses, maybe KTM catch can, 5-speed tranny, some orange billet engine accessories, etc.

#58 ·
I will just continue on with this thread when a decision is made. And if anybody has any input, by all means, chime in anytime.

#59 · (Edited)
Nobody has any input? I'm looking at buying a brand new bike very soon. I am considering converting another SXF (450), but what about the XCF and 450/500 XCW? Maybe even the 500 EXC? Things that are important to me- Power is top on the list, next is linkage rear suspension and transmission. Other considerations are factory lighting. That would be helpful, but I can tackle that with any of the models. What about kickstand (does anybody have a solution to mounting a kickstand to the SXF?? I will carry the triangle stand if I have to! haha)? With the SXF's, I am considering a 2015 SXF, a 2014 Factory Edition, and a 2015 Factory Edition which is rumored to be entirely new frame, bodywork, etc. I would have to wait until February-ish to take delivery of that, which is fine because riding season is almost at an end where I live until spring. But that would mean even less of the stuff I bought for the other bike would transfer over to that model. And there's no photos leaked to know if I will even like how the new model looks. Though I feel KTM wouldn't let me down with their track record. The new 2015 bikes are the best looking OEM bikes ever!
Suggestions? :headscrat

#60 ·
Come on guys, you're letting me down here. :rolleyes2: I think I will hold off getting the newest model like the 2015 Factory Edition (if they even will have one). I have seen some spy photos and I don't think it will have anything I can't live without. Plus it would be one thing if I was just gonna race it MX as is, but because I will supermoto convert it, it will drive me bonkers if nothing is available for it for awhile, like is usually the case with brand new models.

#61 ·
Heavily considering 500 EXC at the moment. I feel like it would be less adept racing SM or MX than the SXF and the lack of linkage really bothers me, but I don't plan on doing MX with this bike anyway. It would just be nice if the option was feasible. I WANT a race bike like a SXF / SMR, but 500 EXC owners seem to be happy and I will def. use it on the street more often than race supermoto with it. But I can get the SXF a bunch cheaper and build it to suit me, rather than taking shit off the EXC just to replace it with some other stuff. Less cost up front, but I'm sure it would quickly over take the EXC initial price tag.

#62 ·
I'm looking to sell a bunch of parts, but I see the format is all different now.

#63 ·
Imo you have to decide what you want to do with the new new. If you want to race, get the FC 450 Supermoto (which basically is the 2014 KTM SMR from Husky). No streeting with that one I guess. But using it on the street and for racing is going to suck. I have never had any good experiences with putting bikes back and forth from street to race or mx to supermoto. Better get two bikes, one for each purpose.

#64 ·
I think you kind of already hit the nail on the head with what you should go with. IMO I just really boils down to what your going to be using the bike for primarily. If your leaning more towards racing with a little bit of street riding get the 450 XC-F. That way you get your linkage, no lights but is plug and play ready, a little stiffer suspension, and 5spd tranny which I would imagine would be more track friendly. On the other hand if its more street riding with a little bit of track riding go with the 500 XC-W. For the road you would have the bigger motor, 6spd tranny, not as many extras to remove as the EXC, but your lights and everything to make it street legal is already in place.

#65 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I guess I have to be honest that the bike will see much more street than track. Although I have other dedicated street bikes and I really could allow this one strictly for SM racing. Should be picking up something this weekend.

#67 ·
2 hours away. The only one I know in the state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.