SuperMoto Junkie banner

Newb from Montreal

66K views 668 replies 12 participants last post by  fwd25 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm a newb to riding (been riding for 5 months) and very new to Supermoto. I currently ride a 2003 600 Bandit. But I'm thinking of getting a supermoto. 90% of my riding is city, 10% is highway. I'm in Montreal, Canada where the fscking snow will be flying in no time.

Really happy to have found this forum.

Cheers

#195 ·
Yes I did , a friend at work is very involve with this group and told me about the ride , will skip it this year , but for next year I definitely like to join in

As for my wife I will take it gradually making her feel confident about me riding the bike

This remind me of a story out of topic but very funny

A friend want to buy a new more powerfull snowmobile , his wife said ... Since he want to feel young again with those powerfull machine she too want to feel young so for the same amount of the price of his snowmobile she will get a breast implant job hahaha now he is freacking out and trying to convince her to be reasonable ...... Woman lol

#196 ·
A friend want to buy a new more powerfull snowmobile , his wife said ... Since he want to feel young again with those powerfull machine she too want to feel young so for the same amount of the price of his snowmobile she will get a breast implant job hahaha now he is freacking out and trying to convince her to be reasonable ...... Woman lol
ROFL !!

I laughed pretty hard at that.. I assume he knows that it doesn't end there.. Those silicone breasts need to be replaced every 5 years or so.. That means more $$$$.

So good news (well for me), I booked my final road exam. If all goes to plan, (and I don't fail), I should have my license July 16 at around 09:30. Now I have to go rent a bike for the test. Did you use your own bike Evol or did you rent one ?

#197 ·
I rented a bike because my bike is only 250cc.... We need 401cc+ for the Class6A permit. You should be fine with your Bandit as long as everything on it is legal and working properly. If not, it would be a good idea to rent for the exam.

#199 ·
Do PROPER stops (left foot down) & starts (Look left, right, left).
Check blind spots & mirrors.
Don't go over the speed limit.

RELAX and ENJOY the ride !!! Whether you pass or not, enjoy the ride. The helps keep you calm and less likely to make mistakes. It also shows the examiner that you are comfortable on a bike, which is what they are looking for.

#200 ·
Thanks for the tips @Evol. I appreciate it. The ride itself doesn't freak me out, it's the 56 day wait for the next attempt that freaks me out! ;-)

Everyone I talk to says it's fairly simple. Just ride your bike, follow the laws, do your blind spot checks, check your mirrors and everything will be OK. I haven't ridden yet this year. I will probably start in May or so and hopefully get 1 or two rides a week in.

#202 ·
Thanks fwd25 ! I have three months to go, but I'm no doubt very excited and a little nervous.. I just need a few days out to really practice and focus on riding correctly and I should be fine.

How is the bike coming along ? Have you ridden it much ? Did you get the sumo wheels on ? Any luck convincing your wife ? ;-) Send more pics!

Nice day today, get out and ride

J

#205 ·
One Helluva great looking bike fwd25.

So I saw this today: http://canadamotoguide.com/2015/04/22/husqvarna-launches-701-microsite/ They seem to think it will be out in November.

IIRC, it's harder to make this bike into a dirt bike then the other way around. If that's the case, I'd be more apt to get the 690 KTM Enduro or more likely the 500 EXC. I've been messaging all kinds of people on Advrider and Reddit who own the 500. They all say the same thing: "Super fun to ride on urban streets, incredible in the trails, but not at all fun on the highway. But they say you can ride it on the highway at 100km/h without much issue. It's just not very fun. That, I can live with.

My exam is in 12 weeks exactly !

J

#213 ·
Nice can t wait to see how they look , warp9 also told me they have a relocating bracket for the front caliper that would allow room for a 320mm disk , are you going for it or stick to the stock disk for now ?

Agree about the cost it really add up to the point I realise for the same amount I could get a super duke lol but definatly not the same flexibility in use so all in all the 690 is the right choice with the off road possibility

Tire wise I went for the Michelin pilot power 3 , I like the big bubbly fellow [emoji3]

#212 ·
Hey @TWV!

Welcome to our little Montreal group. Sorry for taking so long to reply. I am just getting over a cold. This frickin' winter from Hell won't leave...

Did you get your bike new ? Nice choice ! Where did you get your wheels from ? Directly from Warp 9 ? Can I ask what the wheels ended up costing ?

Send some photos! I have to live vicariously through all of you for now..

And @fwd25, did you go off roading this weekend ? How did that go.

Ok, I am going to go back to bed and hack up more of my lung.

#220 ·
I am.. But I don't think I've posted anything. Next year I'll be there for sure.

Here's a video of the 2013 ride that was just posted to give you an idea.. But these guys for some reason like to use huge bikes to do it. But it gives you a good idea of the terrain.

J

#221 ·
It look to be a lot of fun ,a few guys at work did participate and they highly recommand it

And that is the great thing about those SM converted simply by swapping the wheel and some suspension tuning it is possible to go from off road to SM and back

And now that Polaris bough timbersled those winter kit will become more affordable ( larger distribution and high sale volume) so it add the the versatility of those bike

I love it [emoji3]

#222 ·
I couldn't agree more.. To be honest, the more time passes, the more I think I'd stick with the knobbies for the first year or two and then decide to get the 17" tires or not. My usage is really to just putz around town, get to work, run errands and then on the weekends, head up north and hit the trails. I don't think I'm the kinda guy to hit the 329 or the 327 and push it as hard as possible.. Nor am I the kinda guy to pop wheelies in a parking lot. But head out with a couple of guys up north, ride the trails, grab a burger and head home.. that, I can see myself doing. Plus, what I like about off road is that it's a good workout too. Anyhow, given that I have never done it, I might be talking out my ass. ;-)

J

#223 ·
I'm not going to tell you to lose the knobbies, but I think you would be surprised what you can do (offroad) with street tires. Obviously mud is a whole other story, but when it's dry, street tires are surprisingly good offroad.
Just some food for thought....

#224 ·
My cousin do street and trail with his drz sm , his tires have large groove on them , must be Avon ... Plus in winter he has the explorer kit from ad Boivin

It is a good all around set up , lot and lot of fun but each would have limitation

With the 690 in my case , I get more ground clearance and a real off road set of tire or swap to the 17 and I get something more sticky on the asphalt , a little tuning of the suspension and it get even better

I was told that a SM with groovy Avon tire would be ok in the easy section of the classic

It all come down to what you plan to do with the bike

In my case I was looking for an exercise machine to burn my excess of sugar , not much of a gym type and looking for something more punchy then a drz but not as extreme as a exc 500 so.....

#227 ·
Nice. Be safe out there !!!

I on the other hand, pulled out my back yesterday and I had to postpone my Tremblant getaway this weekend with the wife. :bs:

#229 ·
Thank for the info , I did check the routing of the rear brake hose and it all look good , will wait until I get some new from the dealer

How about you TNW did you ear something from your dealer ?

Got my first ride on the bike , awesome I love everything about the bike specially low end torque
But I will need a custom seat , need to remove some seat thinkers to fit my leg lenght

Any idea who could do this in Laval or not too far ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.