Newb from Montreal
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Newb from Montreal

Default Newb from Montreal

Hi,

I'm a newb to riding (been riding for 5 months) and very new to Supermoto. I currently ride a 2003 600 Bandit. But I'm thinking of getting a supermoto. 90% of my riding is city, 10% is highway. I'm in Montreal, Canada where the fscking snow will be flying in no time.

Really happy to have found this forum.

Cheers

Advertisement

Thumbs up

Welcome to SMJ !!!!

I'm in Vaudreuil (just west of the island) and I just got my licence this past May.
    Where are you located?
    What bike(s) are you looking at?
    Supermoto bikes are amazing. You just got to try one once and you'll be hooked !!
    You know....Once you go sumo, you never go back.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)
    Riding Game: 3

Whoa! A fellow Montrealer. How cool!

I got mine in August. You got your learner's or your full license ? I go for my final test in July 2015.. The longest effin' 11 months of my life.

I haven't decided on a Sumo yet.. But I'm pretty sure it will be a Sumo.. It looks like our choices are basically a DRZ, a converted KTM 690 and a Hypermotard.. But I am curious to see if the Husky 710 comes to Canada.

I'm in Le Plateau..

Lightbulb Choices...

Here in Canada we can get the DRZ400SM, the KLX250S, the CRF250L, the WR250R (no X anymore), the 690 Enduro R, and 500 EXC.
    I have not checked, but I would assume the FE 501 S should be available here and HOPEFULLY the 701 Supermoto will make it here next fall.

I got my full Class 6 on May 1st 2014
    I know, last summer (with my learner's permit) was a killer...I had to wait for either helithumper or Turbo Dom to ride with them and I felt bad since we'd often ride near Turbo Dom's place, meaning he'd have to come get me, go back to his area and ride around, then come back to my place and drop me off, then go back to his place....He put on more mileage coming to get me and drop me off, than anything else.

At least the 11 months we have to wait also counts during the winter...

DON'T FORGET TO RENEW YOUR LEARNER'S PERMIT !!!
    It does not stay valid until your exam, it will expire before that. I had to renew mine for 1 month... And you can't book your exam without a valid permit. I called to book my exam in advance, but I couldn't since my permit would not be valid a the time of the exam, so I had to go pay to renew it, then go home and call to book my exam. Also, it's better to call to book it vs online, because (as they said), on the phone, you can confirm the day / time with them better over the phone. They have more access to information than the website. Not sure why, but that's how it was last spring.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Thanks for the heads up on which bikes we can get. I didn't know of most of them..

At this point I'm debating between the DRZ and the KTM (or Husky) if it comes out. The Bandit I have now is fine, heavy as a biatch, but fine. I'm far from being a good rider. So not sure if I should wait to get better before getting a sumo, or if getting a sumo will help with me being a better rider..

I just had a quick check, and my permit is supposed to expire Jan 18 2016.. So I should be OK. But thanks for letting me know.

I take it you never rode alone before getting your full license ? This is the debate I have with myself all the time. I have asked a ton of people this question and I've come to the conclusion that I'm just a chicken sh*t. Most people I talk to rode all the time without someone during their 11 months.

Cool

I never rode alone because if there is even a random traffic check, or get stopped for even the smallest little thing, you lose your licence and have to start all over again. That includes having to pay and take the course again !!! you only have 4 points with the learner's permit. Don't forget that it's also linked to your Class 5 permit, so if you lose 4 points in the car, you lose your moto licence (because you only have the 4 learner permit points right now) and have to start from scratch again.

As far as finding a sumo to ride, there are lots to choose from in the used department (Kijiji, etc...). That's how I bought my WR250X. It doesn't have a lot of power, but it's pretty much zero maintenance and a LOT of fun !!!! I've done all the standard mods to mine last spring and it's much better than stock. I'm planning to change the gearing this winter for next season (that's the only mod left to do).
    If you're looking for a low maintenance bike, I would choose between the DRZ 400 SM, the KTM 690 Enduro R (or SMC if you can find a used one for sale), or a WR250X/R. These are the 3 popular sumos that can be ridden with little maintenance.

My WRX :

Last edited by Evol; 11-28-2014 at 04:54 AM.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Nice bike!

In my case it's a little different. I've been driving since I was 16 and I'm 42 now. So if I lose 4 points, I just lose 4 points. I'm good for another 9 points. ;-) I don't lose my license.

I am going to do some more reading on the KTM.. They don't sell many. KTM is known to require some TLC to keep them running. So that means reliability probably quite ain't what it is with say Japanese or even British..

Last thing I want is to plunk down $10K+ on a bike and have issues.. Especially since my repairs skills aren't that great.

What did you do your final license exam on ? How was it ? I hear it's mostly a formality.

I'm 39 and have been driving since 18.

Your licence is linked now (they changed the laws a few years ago). You have your full points on your class 5 car licence but only 4 points on your class 6 moto learners licence. Since they are now linked, if you lose 4 points in the car, they are gone for your moto permit and you will have to start from zero for the moto licence (car licence will still be valid).

For my final road exam, I rented a bike at the SAAQ for the exam since my bike is only a 250. I did my exam in the pouring rain. While I was waiting for my turn, there were others who did their exams and most passed, but not everyone. If you follow the rules of the road, do what you're supposed to do, you should be fine. The main thing they look for is that you are able to control the bike properly and that you are comfortable on the bike.
    Last edited by Evol; 01-24-2015 at 08:15 AM.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Evol View Post
    I'm 39 and have been driving since 18. Your licence is linked now (they changed the laws a few years ago). You have your full points on your class 5 car licence but only 4 points on your class 6 moto learners licence. Since they are now linked, if you lose 4 points in the car, they are gone for your moto permit and you will have to start from zero for the moto licence (car licence will still be valid).

You are right in that they are linked. You have one license, but can have several classes. So points do cross over from one to the other (since it's one license). Get 4 points on your class 5 and it also counts as 4 points on your class. 6. But if you have a full license via your class 5, and you do get 4 points on your class 6, you don't lose your class 6 learner's license. There is only one license. Here's the quote from the SAAQ:

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/documents...ntot_moto.html

"Le permis probatoire est valide pendant 24 mois et il est r?serv? au conducteur de motocyclette qui n'est pas titulaire d'un permis de conduire un v?hicule de promenade (classe 5). Lorsque le nouveau conducteur accumule 4 points d'inaptitude ou plus, son permis d'apprenti conducteur ou son permis probatoire est r?voqu? pour une dur?e minimale de 3 mois. De plus, le Code de la s?curit? routi?re lui interdit de conduire apr?s avoir consomm? de l'alcool (z?ro alcool)."

The key there is the part where they state IF don't have a class 5..

If you go onto M4E.com, there's lots of guys who got nabbed for riding alone with just a learner's (but who have a class 5). It's $400, plus 4 points. Sometimes the cop would let them ride home, very seldom he'd tow the bike.. The guy I bought my bike from got nailed.. same thing. Cop let him ride home. He told me he continued to ride alone the day after stating "what are the chances of being caught twice!!?".. I had a good laugh..

Thanks so much for the info on the final exam. I heard the fail rate was super low.. The fail rate on the closed circuit though is apparently 40% in some places. I dunno about you, but I was shitting myself before my closed circuit exam.

Now let's all collectively bitch about the fact that it snowed last night. ;-)

We should go for a ride next spring!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by shampoo View Post
    Now let's all collectively bitch about the fact that it snowed last night. ;-)
    Yeah, I saw that too....

We should go for a ride next spring!
    Hell yes !!!
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Hell yes !!!
    Awesome !

Maybe after July when I get my _realz_ license..

Have you finally decided what bike to get to replace your 250 (which BTW is one nice looking bike) ?

Cool

Actually, for now at least, I'm keeping my 250. It's just so much fun. I know I'd have a blast with more power, but I just can't seem to let this one go. There's just something about it....
    I've tried Turbo Dom's KTM 625 SMC and helithumper's FS650e. They have way more power than my bike, but I still have a blast on mine and the "zero maintenance" thing is nice since I commute to work (which is only a 15 min ride).
    If the 701 Supermoto comes to Canada next fall, I will have to buy one, but until then, I'm enjoying my little bitch. (I even have the keychain )

Last edited by Evol; 11-28-2014 at 06:25 AM.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Actually, for now at least, I'm keeping my 250. It's just so much fun. I know I'd have a blast with more power, but I just can't seem to let this one go. There's just something about it....

That's the best attitude to have really.

Up until last year, I raced bicycles.. for about 15 years. When I first started racing, me and my buddies would spend hours and hours lusting after new bikes and debating which ones were cool and which ones we wanted. Many bikes later and thousands and thousands of dollars later, most of us are back to riding the same aluminium or steel frames we had in the 90's.. After 5yrs of racing or so, we stopped lusting after all those bikes and instead would talk endlessly about races we did, which ones were hard, who rides like an idiot, idiot goofball stories of things we did.. big crashes.. who flew into what ravine (that would be me).. etc, etc.

So it became more about the ride itself and less about what you ride. It just didn't matter what you rode.. Yes I have my sentimental favorite bike.. It's my first race bike I got when I was 16. I still own it and still ride it. The tubes have been replaced. It's been repainted a half dozen times.. It's pretty heavy, is about as stiff as a wet noodle, but dammit, me and that bike have been through so much. I'd never sell it or ditch it for the world.

I'm working this contract at the Cirque du Soeil and that last mini storm we had, this guy rode into work on his KLX: http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/...are_hard_core/ To me that's more impressive (possibly stupid!) then the guy that tools up to the Orange Julep on a S1000RR.

So all this to say, I think your attitude is the best one to have.

Do you watch YouTube ? Check out Shaaf. https://www.youtube.com/user/Schaaf He rides this old Honda.. But he rides the piss out of it. He's a student and it's all he can afford. To me, that's the best way to go. Just ride what you got, quit stressing over what's next.

Oh, and while I'm boring you with YouTube, check out the Awesome Players: https://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley They are bunch of guys from your neck of the woods who take these rather large bimmers into the woods near Hawksbury. The guy who runs it, Riley is a really nice guy.. I've swapped a few emails with him. They look like they'd be a blast to ride with.

Oh and here's my bandit:

Cheers!

Thumbs up

I LOVE Cirque du Soleil !!!!! My wife and I go see every new show and we brought our 5 year old girl to the latest show this past April. She loved it.

I never raced, but I used to ride downhill at Bromont every weekend. I still have my Norco A-Line Park, although lately it only gets used to ride to the park with my daughter. I've always had either pedal bikes or motocross.

The woods near Hawksbury? Oh yeah... We ride Scotch Road (and the surrounding trails) quite often with our street tires. That's also why I just switched to the Avon Distanzia's for next season.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Default Newb from Montreal

I am down for a ride next summer. I am in Laval.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by patisfaction View Post
    I am down for a ride next summer. I am in Laval.
    Definitely ! We'll organize a Montreal Supermoto Junkie ride.

J

I LOVE Cirque du Soleil !!!!! My wife and I go see every new show and we brought our 5 year old girl to the latest show this past April. She loved it.

I never raced, but I used to ride downhill at Bromont every weekend. I still have my Norco A-Line Park, although lately it only gets used to ride to the park with my daughter. I've always had either pedal bikes or motocross.

The woods near Hawksbury? Oh yeah... We ride Scotch Road (and the surrounding trails) quite often with our street tires. That's also why I just switched to the Avon Distanzia's for next season.
    That's the road they do.. Scotch Road. I had to look it up..

Mind if I ask you a few questions about your final exam ?

I heard it's an hour but you are only riding for about 20 minutes. Is that true ? You said some people before or after you actually failed ? Where did you do it ? Henri Bourassa ?

Arrow

I heard it's an hour but you are only riding for about 20 minutes. Is that true ? You said some people before or after you actually failed ? Where did you do it ? Henri Bourassa ?
    Yeah, I guess I was on the bike for approx 20 mins....I don't remember exactly how long it was, but it was short.
    I remember thinking to myself "Great, it's over, I can relax now. Wait, it's over? But I want to ride more!!!"
    I did my car exam at Henri Bourassa years ago, but I did my moto exam in Laval.
    The examiner I got was really cool. They are there to make sure you know how to ride, they're not there to fail you.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Still looking at various SuperMotos.. My first gut reaction was KTM 690 or the new Husky.. But speaking with someone I know, and he says Megaglisse has open SuperMoto nights on Wednesday.. That would be something I'd be into.. And racing a KTM 690 might be over my head.

Which brings me to your bike ! What's it like on the highway ? What don't you like about it ?

I don't own a car and my bike would be my only real method of transport. I'm rarely on the highway, figure a few times a month for never more then maybe 90 minutes each way.. maybe 2hrs each way.

J

Lightbulb

Still looking at various SuperMotos.. My first gut reaction was KTM 690 or the new Husky.. But speaking with someone I know, and he says Megaglisse has open SuperMoto nights on Wednesday.. That would be something I'd be into.. And racing a KTM 690 might be over my head.
    helithumper has been to Mecaglisse and I wanted to go with him this year, but he didn't have a great summer (back pain), so we never went. Turbo Dom has also been, but not on the bike. He did a few lapping days with his car.

Which brings me to your bike ! What's it like on the highway ? What don't you like about it ?
    My WR250X feels light, which is nice for general riding. I felt like I was getting blown around at highway speeds, but while riding with others, they said they were getting blown around as well, so it's not just my bike. I had stock 13/42 gearing and it was ok for highway. I've maxed out at 143 km/h in "full scooter tuck". I will be changing my gearing this winter to 13/48 for better acceleration, but according to http://www.gearingcommander.com/, I should max out at 130 km/h with that combo. I'm ok with that, since I don't like highway riding. It's boring, you'll see....Small roads are MUCH more fun.

I don't own a car and my bike would be my only real method of transport. I'm rarely on the highway, figure a few times a month for never more then maybe 90 minutes each way.. maybe 2hrs each way.
    I have never done any long highway distances on the bike, but I have gone riding all day (up to Tremblant and back) on "twistier" roads at highway speeds and the bike can easily take it. The WR250X isn't very powerful, but it can be beaten on all day long and just keep going. The real question is, can your butt take it? BUY A SEAT !!!!! It really helps. I have a Seat Concepts seat and I love it. Money well spent. I think most of us would agree that sumos don't have comfy seats.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

My WR250X feels light, which is nice for general riding. I felt like I was getting blown around at highway speeds, but while riding with others, they said they were getting blown around as well, so it's not just my bike. I had stock 13/42 gearing and it was ok for highway. I've maxed out at 143 km/h in "full scooter tuck". I will be changing my gearing this winter to 13/48 for better acceleration, but according to http://www.gearingcommander.com/, I should max out at 130 km/h with that combo. I'm ok with that, since I don't like highway riding. It's boring, you'll see....Small roads are MUCH more fun.

I have never done any long highway distances on the bike, but I have gone riding all day (up to Tremblant and back) on "twistier" roads at highway speeds and the bike can easily take it. The WR250X isn't very powerful, but it can be beaten on all day long and just keep going. The real question is, can your butt take it? BUY A SEAT !!!!! It really helps. I have a Seat Concepts seat and I love it. Money well spent. I think most of us would agree that sumos don't have comfy seats.
    Thanks for the reply !

I've ridden highways on a Honda 250 during my classes and I've ridden the highways several times on my 600 bandit. Honestly, there was no difference for me. I hate highways. I don't feel good on them. I sit in the middle or right lane doing 100 km/h waiting for it to end. I don't try to overtake or weave.. I just want to get where I am going.

So the 250cc, I don't think would bug me that much on the highways. But I will tell you what does bug me on highways and that's feeling like the bike is unstable.. That, scares me. I didn't feel much difference between the 250 and the 600, even though I am sure my Bandit outweighs the 250 but 150lbs or more.

I guess at the end of the day, I'd have to ride both to see.. But there's a huge price difference.

As for Mecaglisse, I'd definitely like to try. I'd like to take their Supermoto class first. I _hope_ it's after mid July when I get my full license. I'd definitely be into doing their Wednesday nighters often.. I can't see myself having the money for a KTM before March 2016.. But I could scarf up the cash for the WR250 for August.. So there's that as well.. Especially used.

So definitely something to keep in mind. It would be cool to make it a semi regular thing (assuming we end up liking it).

Keep warm !

Lightbulb

Before I bought my WR250X, I had looked at buying a '10 690 SMC, but it was in Saguenay and I don't like long drives. So I bought my WRX.
    Do I regret it? In some ways yes (I want more power), but I really do love my bike, which is why I didn't sell it to buy another bike yet.
    I have ridden Turbo Dom's '04 625 SMC and it has a lot more power, but it also feels top heavy (and vibrates a LOT) when compared to my WRX, even though they weigh almost the same.
    I've also ridden helithumper's FE650e. It's about 50lbs lighter than my WRX and has double the power. I honestly didn't notice the weight difference, but I DID notice the power difference.
    The WRX just feels light due to it's lower center of gravity. I'm usually not tired after a long day riding.
    Can it keep up with the bigger bikes? At legal speeds, of course. But if they want to lose you, they just need to twist their wrists.
    I will say that the WRX needs the mods to be done to really enjoy it. Stock, it doesn't lift the front up. Modded, my bike does. Gearing changes will help that even more.

That said, there's a saying: "It's better to ride a slow bike quickly, than a fast bike slowly". Riding the WRX, I understand what that means, and I believe it's more rewarding.

Here's a couple links if you're interested (I'm not trying to sway you to a WRX, just sharing some info):

A modded WRX "wakes up" http://supermotojunkie.com/showthrea...ences-Thus-Far

Durability http://supermotojunkie.com/showthrea...ansmission-yet
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Thanks for all that info.. I really appreciate it. We'll have to see. I suppose if I got the WR250, I'd keep the Bandit for a bit in case I need it for longer hauls. It wouldn't cost me that much more. The 500 EXC looks interesting but those service intervals are crazy. I don't own a garage. So I'd have to do all the work outside.. That's a deal breaker.

Anyhow, long time to go. I won't be buying anything until 2016 in all likelihood. I refuse to buy anything on credit unless I absolutely need it. We just bought a house in May and that downpayment killed me. I'm only now starting to get back to where we were before the house purchase. Home Depot made more money off me then I care to mention. I HATE that place! ;-)

Until then and until the spring, we'll have to contend ourselves with reading forums and watching this:

Oh, not sure if you read this incredibly long thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=936588&page=4

Arrow

Oh, not sure if you read this incredibly long thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=936588&page=4
    If you want an incredibly long thread about the WR250R, look no further than this: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329337
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Hi guys from Laval

Nice to see some folks from the same hood

Been riding since 9 yo until 25 and stop now getting back into it at 48 , looking to purchase a ktm 690 enduro r for 30% off road usage and 70% on road , been reading on the forum for a while and the SM kit is very tempting

Quote Originally Posted by fwd25 View Post
    Hi guys from Laval

Nice to see some folks from the same hood

Been riding since 9 yo until 25 and stop now getting back into it at 48 , looking to purchase a ktm 690 enduro r for 30% off road usage and 70% on road , been reading on the forum for a while and the SM kit is very tempting

Cool! Looks like we've got a gang of nearly middle age to middle age guys here. ;-) Except you have 9 years more experience on the bike then I do. ;-)

Yes, this is the option I am looking at also. Get the KTM Enduro, swap in SMC tires and go. This also depends on if the new Husky comes to North America. But even if it does, I don't like buying first generation anything, especially when there only appears to be one Husky dealer in Quebec.

The WR250 option is a very interesting option as well. I'd want to ride both first though to see if the lack of power in the WR250 is really a big deal. But at half the price, it's very interesting. I won't be doing very much offroad, this is why the KTM is more interesting to me.

J

Lightbulb

Cool! Looks like we've got a gang of nearly middle age to middle age guys here. ;-) Except you have 9 years more experience on the bike then I do. ;-)

Yes, this is the option I am looking at also. Get the KTM Enduro, swap in SMC tires and go. This also depends on if the new Husky comes to North America. But even if it does, I don't like buying first generation anything, especially when there only appears to be one Husky dealer in Quebec.

The WR250 option is a very interesting option as well. I'd want to ride both first though to see if the lack of power in the WR250 is really a big deal. But at half the price, it's very interesting. I won't be doing very much offroad, this is why the KTM is more interesting to me.

J
    YAY !!!! More local riders !!!

FLM Sport seems to be the only Husky dealer in the area. As far as buying a 1st gen bike, I would not consider it a 1st gen model since it really is a KTM 690 SMC in Husqvarna clothing.... And that's not a bad thing in this case.

The WR250R/X is fun, not very powerful, but a lot of fun. A lot of WR250R/X owners say the same thing. Is it their way of "defending" their bike? Maybe, but I do have one and that's NOT why I say it. It really is FUN!!! I came very close to buying a 500 EXC or 690 SMC last winter (as I've said) only to keep and mod my little 250. Yes, there are days when I regret not switching for more power (for wheelies), but the "zero" maintenance, light weight feel, and general fun factor keep me smiling when others are wrenching. Also, of the 3 Japanese 250's, the WR has the most power, while also being the most expensive.

As far as offroad is concerned, you might be surprised how capable these bikes are, even with street tires. I did a bunch of offroading last summer with my worn out stock street tires and I was pleasantly surprised.
    Since I needed new tires, I switched to Distanzia's for next summer. But unless you are planning to ride through deep mud, deep sand, or really rough terrain, you'll be fine.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Cool , we definitely need to organize a ride next summer

Agree on riding proven bike , that why I went for the 690 , no surprise , torquey engine and versatility by swaping the enduro to SM wheels

About mecaglisse i already contacted Them to get a spot on the course as soon as registration start it be fun to try

Just wish we had something closer to ride on , it be great if xtown would built something for us , I am sure they would get a lot of riders

Thumbs down

Just so everyone one knows, I did NOT ride to work today.

snow !!!!
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Just so everyone one knows, I did NOT ride to work today.

snow !!!!
    I rode my bicycle in.. No issues. But the ride home was horrible.. I went down 3 times.. ended up riding the sidewalk and walking half of it. Grrr. Not only is there a lot of snow, it's wet nasty snow. I might have to *gasp* take the bus in. First time in 5 years I think!

Cool , we definitely need to organize a ride next summer

Agree on riding proven bike , that why I went for the 690 , no surprise , torquey engine and versatility by swaping the enduro to SM wheels

About mecaglisse i already contacted Them to get a spot on the course as soon as registration start it be fun to try

Just wish we had something closer to ride on , it be great if xtown would built something for us , I am sure they would get a lot of riders
    Hi

Have you bought the bike or are you going to buy it ?

I made a deposit on a 2015 , dealer said it should arrive in February ,now I am grabing all the info I can to make a SM convertion while keeping the possibility to swap back to the off road wheel

I made a deposit on a 2015 , dealer said it should arrive in February ,now I am grabing all the info I can to make a SM convertion while keeping the possibility to swap back to the off road wheel
    Well congrats!

Did you try to get the SM conversion kit (wheels, etc) from the dealer ? Was that not an option ? You can go to Warp9. I spoke to them and they do have the wheels. They aren't on their website, but he claims to have them.

Keep us posted on how this goes. I want to do the same thing.

Thanks!

Tabernac you guys, blowing up this thread I see! Nice bikes fellas. The 250X is a great bike but if you're used to sportbike power and speed then something with a bigger displacement might keep you more interested. Welcome to the forum Shampoo.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieit View Post
    Tabernac you guys, blowing up this thread I see! Nice bikes fellas. The 250X is a great bike but if you're used to sportbike power and speed then something with a bigger displacement might keep you more interested. Welcome to the forum Shampoo.

Thanks. I've made lotsa swell friends too. ;-)

I'm not a power nut. I've ridden 250's and they didn't really bother me. I don't go much faster then 110 km/h on the highway anyhow. So we'll see. I'll have to ride both and decide. But so far the KTM has got my eye.. the Husky more so. But it has to be released here first.

Can't wait to test drive a 690 as well.
    Using Tapatalk

Well congrats!

Did you try to get the SM conversion kit (wheels, etc) from the dealer ? Was that not an option ? You can go to Warp9. I spoke to them and they do have the wheels. They aren't on their website, but he claims to have them.

Keep us posted on how this goes. I want to do the same thing.

Thanks!
    I did talk with the Warp 9 peoples and they do have the wheels and relocating braket for the caliper to allow room for the 320mm front disk , the price is interesting but the made in China label make me hesitate

At this point I would prefer excel from motostrano

I have the ktm part list so I may end up going that way to keep the same level of craftsmanship

Will see come February what kind of deal I can get then I will make the order

You guys need to get some snowmobiles then you would pray it snow every day )))))

Will see come February what kind of deal I can get then I will make the order

You guys need to get some snowmobiles then you would pray it snow every day )))))

Ok keep us posted on what you do. I'll probably just copy you. ;-)

As for snow... there's always this!

Kind of cool , I have a relative who has the explorer from AD Boivin on his DRZ and he has a blast riding it

Check this link , it is Martin Hornick from HP test the explorer

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BBpQnemijyM

Lightbulb

You might miss the power, but....

'15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

You might miss the power, but....
    Cool videos !

Now going in the complete other direction in terms of maintenance, I see no one here is really contemplating the 500 EXC.

I've been looking at videos on how to do the valve check:

..and it's not _that_ complicated.

I raced bicycles for years and years and I was doing maintenance on my bikes weekly.. I also ride all winter and salt just kills parts. So having to do work on my bike isn't something that bugs me. I don't own a garage however, so I'd have to do this maintenance on the street or more likely in the laneway behind my house.

That, and I figure I will do maybe 2000-3000km a year, MAX.. I doubt I'd even do that. My commute to work is 5km.

So that would mean having to do 3 maybe 4 oil changes a year and maybe 1 max 2 valve checks a year. Not the end of the world really..

Hmmm am I crazy ?

Cool video look like a fun bike to ride on

If your crazy we both are lol. I see your point ,I do see the maintenance as part of the fun but to do it without a garage or cabanon ( controlled space ) it can let to trouble , it took me a while to deside beetween the 690 or 500

Utimatly I went for the 690 for a few reason

Torquey engine iNsteed of a hi rev race engine
    Better suited for long off or on road ride
    Passenger peg

Never got the chance to test ride either but from all the info I got from diff source 690 fit my need

If I be a bit younger ... Haha 25 or so I may have gone to the 500 as it sound to me as a real bad ass machine that is looking for some hardcore supercross action , my right hand might still be able to give it to her but my bone would not keep up hahaha

If that riding is indicative of your actual use then I'd say 'giver' but something tells me once you actually take a motard for a rip you will ride it much more frequent. If I only put 3-5k on a year of buy and Aprilia

My brother in law has a cabanon (shed) and he rides too. He's in Laval, so I could definitely do my work there.. I think I could do the oil changes in the ruelle behind my house. That wouldn't be too much of a problem. The valve checks require taking the crank case off and that means exposing it to dirt. So probably not the smartest thing to do outside.

No question, the 690 is a WAY smarter choice.. Much less maintenance..

On the other hand that 500 looks like a piss load of fun!

If that riding is indicative of your actual use then I'd say 'giver' but something tells me once you actually take a motard for a rip you will ride it much more frequent. If I only put 3-5k on a year of buy and Aprilia

LOL !

Or a Ducati. ;-)

A buddy of mine was talking about Mecamoto on de la roche.. So I hit up Google Maps to see what it looked like using street view and what do I see on the street ?

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Ves...4292e2!6m1!1e1

Big deal, we have bilingual signs in Vancouver too! English and Chinese

HA!

I was referring to what appears to be a WR250 parked out front.. Not something you see every day.. Well unless you are Erol and own one. ;-)

A buddy of mine was talking about Mecamoto on de la roche.. So I hit up Google Maps to see what it looked like using street view and what do I see on the street ?

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Ves...4292e2!6m1!1e1
    Cool

Advertisement
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast